GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/25/2023 8:36 pm  #41

Re: GW vs UIC

Poog wrote:

Edwards looks out of gas

He certainly does.

11/25/2023 8:37 pm  #42

Need shooting in lineup now

11/25/2023 8:37 pm  #43

Where's Johnson? 

11/25/2023 8:38 pm  #44

Nobody able to step up for us down the stretch.

11/25/2023 8:42 pm  #45

Now or never.  Need Garret to hit all three and get some stops.

11/25/2023 8:43 pm  #46

Seems like every time we get close, we start making mistakes. Then when the lead gets pushed back up to double digits, we start playing well again.

11/25/2023 8:48 pm  #47

Edwards foul a bad one.  They missed the front end and we should have had the ball and down only 6.  Flagrant 2 is the killer.   Have to remember Max is only a soph, but he needs to keep composure.

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (11/25/2023 8:51 pm)

11/25/2023 8:50 pm  #48

Like to see this on replay. Refs been very generous to UIC

11/25/2023 8:52 pm  #49

jf wrote:

Like to see this on replay. Refs been very generous to UIC

I didn’t see it.  This broadcast is a joke. And the refs definitely haven’t done us any favors.

11/25/2023 8:52 pm  #50

Free Max

11/25/2023 8:53 pm  #51

Maybe not.  Down 4 with still 1:47 to go.   Really need for the defense to step up.

11/25/2023 9:03 pm  #52

We have given up a lot of points in the last few games. 

11/25/2023 9:04 pm  #53

This team is a lot better than in recent years, but they still need to learn to win. Every time they got close, they fell apart.

Another good opportunity to play a good team in Delaware tomorrow.

11/25/2023 9:07 pm  #54

Hopefully our young team will learn from this that you can’t come out flat and expect to win. 

We knew a disappointing game would come at some point, and we faced a hot team, so we learn and move on - and beat Delaware tomorrow

11/25/2023 9:12 pm  #55

DC Native wrote:

This team is a lot better than in recent years, but they still need to learn to win. Every time they got close, they fell apart.

Guess I missed yesterday’s game.

11/25/2023 9:31 pm  #56

Tough loss. Love the way we continued to grind away and not let them run away with it despite getting behind early. Truth is that we are going to struggle against teams that can shoot threes AND drive the lanes.  If a team is hitting threes and can also drive the lane we are going to give up a lot of points with our  defense. On the offensive side of the ball we depend too much on threes, methinks.  If we aren’t making threes we’re gonna lose. Not enough size to be able to play the inside game and too many wild one on one drives end in a turnover.  Lots of room for this crew to grow and improve, and looking forward to the progress as the year goes on. The coach we have will ensure that progress. That said, this crew will also require a good amount  of your favorite beverages!  They aren’t a group that will inspire tranquility! 

Best news is that I am now within 24 hours of canceling my one month subscription to FloSports and never having to hear a game called by Beavis amd Butthead again.  Yesterday I said the production quality was that of a high school game. I gave them way too much credit. From the lack of replays at critical moments, to the random replays that would pop up unrelated to the real time action, to the two chowderheads making it seem like this was the opening round of the NCAA tournament…..a complete fucking  heist of $30.

Last edited by Alum1 (11/25/2023 9:33 pm)

11/25/2023 9:41 pm  #57

Poor shooting and defense (too many layups allowed in the last two games) did us in. It also didn't help that the 2- overtime win last night may have had an effect on our energy and performance. Positives: The boys could have been blown out in both halves but played a gutsy second half to close within 3 or 4 late in the game against a team that won by 40 last night. We are 5-1 with a lot of new players on the roster and a lot of inexperience and no one expected that. Finally, the result should be better tomorrow 

11/25/2023 9:43 pm  #58

Poog wrote:

DC Native wrote:

Guess I missed yesterday’s game.

You can choose to believe that UIC is better than GW, but I do not. Yesterday was a great win, but the team needs to learn to do that consistently against good teams. They will have another opportunity tomorrow.

11/25/2023 9:54 pm  #59

This team is still VERY young and will have games like this. I think the fight we showed in the second half is what we should be taking from this game. And like everyone said, we had it within 4 up until the very end. We also had refs that weren’t calling things evenly to say the least.

I’ve always thought this team was like the 2nd year Lonergan team with the freshman core 4. That team lost to Youngstown State, a Jamion Christian coach Mount St Mary’s, and Bradley in the OOC and also had to “learn how to win.” But throughout the season you could tell something special was ready to be unleashed. I believe we’ll see that in the weeks ahead.

Last edited by GW0509 (11/25/2023 10:02 pm)

11/25/2023 10:33 pm  #60

Tough loss, but loved the team's fight throughout the game. There were points in the game where fatigue appeared to set in, but I think CC did a good job playing Benny more today (nice to see Schröder get back to his cutting off ball offensively, definitely better than having him take threes/create his own shot consistently). Also great to see Antoine make it on the court, but was hoping he was going to be used as something more than just an Anthony Swan-like role.

It isn't easy when a team is making both their threes and can drive, but I was a bit disappointed that UIC's guys were able to beat GW off the dribble fairly consistently early on. CC did a good job moving to a zone, but it probably could have come a bit earlier (as well as a timeout when it was clear a reset was needed in the beginning of the game). If I remember correctly, GW was down 14 by the time a timeout was called which was a bit too late. Letting guys work through it worked against W&M, but it's not going to happen every time. Wouldn't have been opposed to fouling UIC more often and making them earn it from the line. They were pretty bad as expected from there.

Credit UIC, they ran offense better than I expected coming into the game. Yaklich was able to counter every adjustment CC made, and the Flames ran some really beautiful plays to break GW's zone. A lack of size down low was exposed for the first time this season.

I thought offensive execution was a lot better today despite shots not falling as much, partly due to fewer turnovers than yesterday. I wanted to highlight specifically Jacoi and Trey on that end. They are still very new to CBB so it's understandable, but I'm hoping down the line that they can be a bit more diversified in their shot selection.

Jacoi I think has potential to be a great passer and am liking his driving ability (as well as his poise), but he tends to attempt tough shots in traffic, something I noticed when he was at IMG as well. It was nice to see him knock down a three, which will hopefully open up driving lanes in the future. He's just 33% on twos so far (still early) but it's really the difficulty of his shots that is hurting his efficiency. JB is right now the only one with the ability to drive and finish in traffic, but I think Jacoi can get there with time.

Trey on the other hand does have a nice shot but he's not driving the ball as much thus far. In fact, he's only taken 5 twos all year. That makes him easy to scout, but I know he has the ability from his time at WRA. Even late in this game, it would have been nice to get Garrett more looks, but even when Trey had the ball I think the game was close enough that he could have driven the ball and kicked it out. He took some tough off-balanced threes at the end. GW's offense is at its best when driving and kicking.

Stretch is definitely still feeling his way offensively, but I like his heart and effort. Hopefully we see his ability to finish putbacks near the rim more often as the season progresses.

Darren has been fantastic all season. Good things happen when he plays. A lot of BS foul calls on him today.

Watching Max play is a wild ride. It's really fun when he's on, but unfortunately some of the negative body language that I noticed from early in his freshman year has resurfaced somewhat. Hopefully CC is able to get him to channel his emotions. Already two ejections in six games. Honestly, I can't remember any GW player getting ejected that many times in a season, let alone in a short span like that (probably forgetting someone). I know he was taking issue with the previous play where he thought he was fouled on his fastbreak take to the hoop (which would have really cut into UIC's lead) but given the time and score, it was best to move on.

GW seems to be called for a technical like every game now. Whatever the count is, it's probably already surpassed last year's total. Love the fire that the team is playing with, but they might need to cool it a bit especially since the refs appear to give GW the short end of the stick when it comes to those calls.

Board footera