GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/27/2024 7:26 pm  #21

Re: GW vs La Salle Game

No 3 pt defense … exactly

1/27/2024 7:32 pm  #22

They have made five more 3s than us shooting one less…

1/27/2024 7:39 pm  #23

On the bright side, Darren is 8 for 10 at the line.

1/27/2024 7:40 pm  #24

Where’s Bowie State when we need them?

1/27/2024 7:44 pm  #25

After this many games you would think the coach would try a little harder to teach some 3 point defense, I haven't seen any improvement at all. UT is doing great. Richmond also.

1/27/2024 8:16 pm  #26

With this much talent, it is hard for me to understand why we are not competitive in a one bid league…

1/27/2024 8:27 pm  #27

3-18 from 3 is not going to win any games.

Seemed like we forced a bunch of drives to the basket.

Vibes seemed off a bit tonight too. Young team better snap out of it soon or else things could continue to spiral.

1/27/2024 9:04 pm  #28

Crazy thought: Maybe a let's say slightly more challenging schedule would have left us more
prepared for the rigors of league play.
     Turns out there is no Stonehill in the A-10.

1/27/2024 9:06 pm  #29

This was a very disappointing game for the program and the fans. Early, in the first half both Buchanan and Edwards took high risk shots allowing LaSalle to climb back in and go ahead. Edwards made no field goals for the game. His long shots and poor passes hurt the team. Caputo needs courage and needs to bench this player. Buchanan has great power and has a game not seen frequently in a GW uniform. Unfortunately, he handles the ball too much, takes many ill advised shots and is an awful passer. Put the ball in the hands of a point guard. GW shot 39% from the field. LaSalle shot 49%. LaSalle shot 52% from the 3 point line. GW needs to play players who guard better, make less turnovers and do not take high risk shots. The offense needs to look like there is a plan. On appearances non seems evident.

1/27/2024 9:13 pm  #30

This is how the team responds after an 0-2 road trip? Adversity has officially hit. Following the triple overtime heartbreak against Fordham, the team won three in a row. How does the team respond this time?

Given how the offense has looked the past couple of games, I'm going to criticize it a bit. Where is the passing??? This isn't just a JB thing. La Salle's opponents average nearly 15 assists per game! It shouldn't be hard to pick apart this defense, but the offense has become: 1) give the ball to Jun and hope he gets fouled or converts down low against his man, 2) give the ball to JB and hope he gets fouled or makes a tough acrobatic layup, or 3) kick it out to Garrett and hope he has a clean enough look for 3.

There's little doubt that Jun, JB, and Garrett are all very talented players. But it feels like we're trying to win with talent alone and not playing as a team. 7 assists today is unacceptable against a team like La Salle. How many looks were actually open?

The Explorers are pretty good at taking away the 3, but outside of Garrett's first three, everything else looked forced and out of rhythm. I wonder if the early personals hurt his timing and got in his head a bit.

JB to his credit limited his jumpers since they haven't fallen lately and had another game with no turnovers. However, late in games he has to push the issue a bit more when the team is behind. It's also clear that GW will need to find a guard that can penetrate effectively once Bishop graduates this offseason.

Stretch has made a huge difference down low defensively, but isn't an effective defender beyond five feet of the basket. There were possessions where he didn't even attempt to close out on shots. Don't think La Salle was the right matchup for him to play a ton given their propensity to shoot a lot of threes. Akingbola has certainly improved as a rebounder as well, but his inability to do anything offensively hurts the team. Can CC and staff seriously not run anything for him?

Max...there are still questions still even after 1.5 years about how he fits into the offense. He has had many dazzling plays doing things on his own, but how does he fit into the halfcourt puzzle? Despite the struggles, Max did things well - he gave up the ball knowing it wasn't his day shooting and had a nice rebound on a missed FT from Jun. CC has to figure out a way to get Max to fit into the offense somehow. Any indecision from him leads to a turnover, like his over-dribbling play that led to multiple La Salle guys swarming him.

Not much to say on Antoine/Trey/Zam. All had defensive lapses (whether it's biting on pump fakes, losing their man, or fouling a shooter) which isn't great. Zam had some nice takes to the basket. Antoine and Trey made a three.

Outside of Jun, Jacoi has been MVP for me lately. He actually makes things happen on defense which pretty much no one else can do (save Stretch's blocks). That's something that GW hasn't had lately from a guard since maybe Jameer Nelson Jr. Hutchinson is pretty efficient offensively for the most part as well.

But that's what it comes down to...what is the answer when it comes to this team getting stops on the defensive end? I'm sure CC would love to get in transition more on offense, but that's not possible when you can't get a single stop. Much like against King, GW had no one who could hang with Brickus/Brantley (although Jacoi again was the closest to doing so). How many times did Fasasi get lost when it was known coming into the game that he can shoot the ball?

Again, outside of Jacoi no one on this team along the perimeter is remotely disruptive. Late on closeouts, biting on pump fakes constantly, unable to make opponents uncomfortable. A lot of defense is effort. The intensity has been missing since the George Mason game (and yes, that includes the stretches of the UMass/Richmond games where GW played well enough to take the lead in the first half).

Not sure that there's ever a great time to play at Dayton, but this is definitely a bad time for the team. The Flyers shoot over 40% from 3. They will also be motivated after losing in Foggy last year. Conceding 100 points to them definitely seems like a possibility and the offense doesn't look like it can keep up with that pace right now. The only positive (I hope) is that maybe we play up to them after definitely looking like we were taking La Salle lightly tonight. Somewhat dreading what happens in a few days against the rowdy crowd at UD Arena...

1/27/2024 9:40 pm  #31

DMV definitely made some of the points that I wanted to make, so perhaps I'll say things a bit differently.
I love the job that CC is doing but tonight, he was outcoached.  As in, badly.  And here's why:

On offense, GW has two assets in JB and Jun who CC I believe has adopted the attitude that we'll keep working them until the opponent stops them.  JB because he is generally a brilliant finisher around the rim.  And Jun because his size and athleticism often result in a mismatch that favors GW.  Each player knows how to find openings to score, get to the foul line, and find open teammates when shots are not there for them.

But, what happens when the opponent stops them, at least enough of the time?  Where is Plan B for the offense?  What are the 3-4 guys who are generally standing around waiting to see if they're going to get the ball or serve as spectators the way that us fans are supposed to do besides stand around?  Did you see many pick and rolls tonight?  How about that play when Garrett sets a pick and then rolls back out to the arc where he often gets a clear corner shot attempt?  Any backdoor cuts to speak of? 

The fact is that this offense has been seen on film so many times now, against conference opponents, that it's become entirely too predictable.  Fran Dunphy knew to have his two bigs close on the driver.  When Jun scored down low tonight, it's because the one-on-one opportunity presented itself.  When he didn't, it's because there were too many defensive obstacles in his way. When a clear path did not emerge for JB, he kept his dribble, dribbling in a literal circle as he pondered what to do with the ball.  With little to no movement from his teammates, this was never an easy decision.

On defense, YET AGAIN, the game was broken open for good when Brickus and Brantley made a barrage of 3's.  We were late on many, and a few were well contested.  Additionally though, their guards were simply quicker off the dribble, and the scouting report must have said that our frontcourt guys are late helping.  That left a mid range area of roughly 8-15 feet that the Explorers reliably made GW pay for.  GW's defensive instincts are slow when it comes to help defense.  Certain individuals know how to steal the ball and deflect passes, Stretch certainly knows how to block shots.  But when it comes to switching, getting around screens, and helping teammates when guys with the ball get past our first line of defense, GW is just slow.  La Salle knew it and rather than allow 10 of their shots to get blocked, they instead hit one pull up jumper after the next.

Next up is Dayton, coming off of a loss as well as a loss to GW last season.  Not exactly ideal.  With a win largely unexpected, it's probably a good opportunity to become less predictable at both ends of the floor.  Some new wrinkles are beyond needed.

1/28/2024 10:19 am  #32

JB didn’t have any turnovers, but I thought the first play of the second half epitomized the problem with our offense.  Max started to penetrate, JB was on the baseline and his defender stepped up to help on Max.  Max dropped a bounce pass to what should have been a cutting JB, but JB was just standing still watching Max. If he moves, it’s an easy layup, but instead the turnover was credited to Max, but to me it was on JB for just stopping moving.

They play, to me, was everything wrong with our offense.  Our entire offense has become one guy tried to drive to the hoop (usually Darren or James, but occasionally Garrett, Max, or Hutch) and everyone else just stands and watches.  There’s no movement off the ball, no passing lanes.  Most of the time opponents collapse on the drive, but no one is doing the work off of the ball to get open. No cutting. No moving to create passing lanes for an open kick out three.  No one attacking the glass.

The offense is just broken right now and we need a plan B.

And the defense continues to be broken. Now in 5 of our 6 losses, we’ve been lit up from three by an opponents’ best shooting game of the year (and in the 6th, it was tied at the half before they shot 6-11 from three in 2H). And yet another player had their career high (34, whose name I’m blanking on, averaged 5.5 ppg before his career high 19 yesterday).   We just have to be better on the perimeter. 

I guess it’s a combo of young players (and the one senior guard being a below average defender for his whole career).

For Cutis, Max only played 21 minutes - 6th most on the team.  I think he is being benched/losing playing time. But he’s clearly a player who needs confidence so hard to totally bench him because we need him to get right to be able to win games again.  But he’s having the worst slump of his career right now.

1/28/2024 10:30 am  #33

Also I’d be interested to see a shot chart.  I don’t remember any of our starters making a single shot outside the paint. Maybe one jumper for JB? Can’t win like that if you can’t make a shot outside 3 feet.

1/28/2024 10:44 am  #34

Coach needs to start getting angry at his players for repeatedly doing dumb things on the court. Bad shot selection, poor passing, too much one-on-one, not extending the defense on opponents 3s, etc. There must be a price to pay for these mistakes, including  the player sitting on the bench for a while. Maybe shaking up the starting five would also help.They've got to get out of this rut and playing Dayton next certainly won't help.

1/28/2024 11:16 am  #35

Nobody who watched last night should be pleased by what they saw. Everyone has some valid observations. When we were winning we were really outscoring our opponents. Lately, the 3’s are not falling and the defense is still lacking. Actually, I’m not sure Max is the issue. Lasalle starts 2 guards under 6 ft tall why not post Max and let him work one of them. There’s no way they would stop him. At the end of the day this team is the first one in 7+ years that has the talent to compete with any team in the league. Some of this is to be expected especially when JB has been struggling to score.

1/28/2024 11:49 am  #36

Whatever the reason may be, this team is uninspired.  I have my theories about the Max and JB difficulties this year compared to last year, but something has pervaded this team that is concerning.  They were flat at home on a Saturday evening game and lost to a lesser team.

Anybody who watches any film can easily correct horrible hedging on pick and rolls, or point out a dumbass shot selection or a telegraphed pass turnover.

What is lacking is energy, effort, and team character.  This team seems to be disconnected from each other and I don’t envy Coach Caputos challenge to fix it. He may have to use Max as a 6th man, or not use Max and JB together.  But just give me a rotation that isn’t a half step slow on D.  Opposing teams know the close outs aren’t coming and can practice their 3 pointers as if it’s a shoot around. 

Based on merit, there needs to be a fire lit under this team.  CC needs to do a deep dive on what the underlying problem is.  Hopefully that happens very soon.

1/28/2024 12:31 pm  #37

Free Quebec wrote:

JB didn’t have any turnovers, but I thought the first play of the second half epitomized the problem with our offense. Max started to penetrate, JB was on the baseline and his defender stepped up to help on Max. Max dropped a bounce pass to what should have been a cutting JB, but JB was just standing still watching Max. If he moves, it’s an easy layup, but instead the turnover was credited to Max, but to me it was on JB for just stopping moving.

They play, to me, was everything wrong with our offense. Our entire offense has become one guy tried to drive to the hoop (usually Darren or James, but occasionally Garrett, Max, or Hutch) and everyone else just stands and watches. There’s no movement off the ball, no passing lanes. Most of the time opponents collapse on the drive, but no one is doing the work off of the ball to get open. No cutting. No moving to create passing lanes for an open kick out three. No one attacking the glass.

The offense is just broken right now and we need a plan B.

And the defense continues to be broken. Now in 5 of our 6 losses, we’ve been lit up from three by an opponents’ best shooting game of the year (and in the 6th, it was tied at the half before they shot 6-11 from three in 2H). And yet another player had their career high (34, whose name I’m blanking on, averaged 5.5 ppg before his career high 19 yesterday). We just have to be better on the perimeter.

I guess it’s a combo of young players (and the one senior guard being a below average defender for his whole career).

For Cutis, Max only played 21 minutes - 6th most on the team. I think he is being benched/losing playing time. But he’s clearly a player who needs confidence so hard to totally bench him because we need him to get right to be able to win games again. But he’s having the worst slump of his career right now.

I noticed in the 2nd half that JB shot Garret a frustrated look when he passed the ball to him after failing to penetrate the lane. A look of "what are you doing" or "why aren't you doing what you're supposed to be doing?" One of those. Pretty much summed up the evening. Amazing how fast the offense has fallen apart.

1/28/2024 1:21 pm  #38

Quick guards continue to be our nemesis. Can’t stay in front of them and keep them from driving. Instead of going over screens we go under or switch, creating open 3s or bad matchups. 

1/29/2024 9:18 am  #39

I wonder if Caputo has ever consulted with a sports psychologist for the team. it might not be a bad idea at this juncture.

1/29/2024 9:58 am  #40

Class 'o 70 wrote:

I wonder if Caputo has ever consulted with a sports psychologist for the team. it might not be a bad idea at this juncture.

The athletic department recently hired a full time psychologist, may be perfect timing.

Board footera