GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/06/2024 8:31 pm  #21

Re: GW vs Rhode Island Game

Turnovers and fouling. Down double digits. Play is terrible.  Sad.

2/06/2024 8:34 pm  #22

What the hell happened to this offense. I recognize no Garrett makes an impact but this is sad

2/06/2024 8:38 pm  #23

Sorry to say this was predicted. Same old same old. Can’t defend the perimeter, getting beat off the dribble by a mile, lazy turnovers (10 to only 10 assists), giving up Offensive Boards by the (literal) dozen, am offensive scheme that doesn’t change no matter what the score is, uninspired effort. Major backward steps for all involved over the last five games. Zero confidence any answers coming.

2/06/2024 8:40 pm  #24

gwstudent2024 wrote:

What the hell happened to this offense. I recognize no Garrett makes an impact but this is sad

URI was down two players including arguably their best (Green). No Johnson was no factor.

Last edited by Alum1 (2/06/2024 8:40 pm)

2/06/2024 8:41 pm  #25

Highlight for me so far was when Patsos said there’s a great Vietnamese place in Teaneck, NJ. Where else can we get information like that - even if you wanted it?

2/06/2024 8:44 pm  #26

We facilitate another opponent's career high

2/06/2024 8:44 pm  #27

I hate to say it, but Caputo is starting to look out of his league…

2/06/2024 8:45 pm  #28

So is Caputo still in the "shit don't smell" phase with the fan base? Because at some point the listless offense, poor rebounding, career nights from rival teams' scrubs, uncontested treys and getting picked apart by other teams would come back to him, no?

2/06/2024 8:52 pm  #29

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

So is Caputo still in the "shit don't smell" phase with the fan base? Because at some point the listless offense, poor rebounding, career nights from rival teams' scrubs, uncontested treys and getting picked apart by other teams would come back to him, no?

Sorry to have to agree, but I do.  It’s like he has one game plan amd isn’t willing to acknowledge it doesn’t work. We’ve scored 24 points in the second half against the worst defense in the league. And he just stick to his game plan.

2/06/2024 8:54 pm  #30

We have added not even getting back to our bad defense resume.

2/06/2024 8:56 pm  #31

It is hard to watch sometimes....tonight is one of those nights for me.  I'm trying to watch with optimism for the future much like I did in the freshman year of JoeMac, KevLar, Garino.  We can see the talent but the strength and experience to compete in A10 are not present yet..

2/06/2024 9:00 pm  #32

Have to agree with you all. After a week to prepare we see no difference. What do all of his assistants do? Teach how to foul, turn the ball over and play lazy defense and offence? Not acceptable.  May not win another game this year. Very disappointed with team and coach at this point.  .

2/06/2024 9:11 pm  #33

I think Caputo has set a record. In the last 5 games the team has given up 81, 82, 80, 83,and 88 points. I don't remember any GW team doing that before.

2/06/2024 9:14 pm  #34

Tennessee Colonial wrote:

I think Caputo has set a record. In the last 5 games the team has given up 81, 82, 80, 83,and 88 points. I don't remember any GW team doing that before.

It is the 53 second half points tonight that jumps out at me. That was not the product solely of a hot shooter or crummy refs, that took effort.

2/06/2024 9:19 pm  #35

Just a deplorable effort. A pedestrian Rhody team just boat raced GW on home court after the team had a week off to prepare. It's the same things over and over again. I'm really not sure where the team goes from here but the sense of pride is definitely missing.

Rhody is not a team that wants to take a bunch of threes and GW just let them get to the rim play after play. I'm pretty sure they ran like the same play every time down the court but GW did nothing to adjust. Montgomery comes into the game shooting under 20% in A10 play and has an 11/14 performance. I will say it's a bit funny that Rhody shot 82% from the line when they are one of the worst shooting teams in the country. A bit of bad luck there.

Offense is equally as gutless. After a good early start, just chuck shots towards the rim and hope they fall. No movement off ball. Turn the ball over 14 times against a team that's one of the worst at forcing turnovers in the country. We made a horrendous defense look like a shutdown unit.

Just at a loss for words right now. A 23 point loss against a team that didn't even look that impressive. It's hard not to think that the bright spots on this team will not want to stick around if things don't get better soon.

2/06/2024 9:26 pm  #36

It's beginning to look like TV and the Athletic dept. locked this guy Caputo into a multi-year contract prematurely based on a weak OOC schedule. Maybe he was a long-time assistant coach for good reason. He hasn't been able to stop the bleeding with this bunch and his feckless assistants look useless. What's going on here? If only GW could bring in a head coach like a Frank Martin or Sean Miller! This situation is pathetic.

Last edited by RobSmithoasas (2/06/2024 9:28 pm)

2/06/2024 9:37 pm  #37

14 TO’s to  only 12 Assists.

We had only 19 Defensive rebounds to their 13 Offensive Rebounds!!!! 

Crazy bad. On our own court too.

2/06/2024 10:05 pm  #38

What a mess!!  Folded up and got run over at home.

What exactly happened to this team to become so soft after first 4 games of league play??

Not sure what Caputo can do at this point in season.

Change up the routines at practice? Suicide drills till it hurts?  Reward hustle and heart? Shake things up with new starting 5?

Something needs to change fast!

2/06/2024 10:21 pm  #39

Agree with pretty much everything that's been said. This has to be the worst defensive team we've had in recent memory. Every single player is too slow when guarding their man, guys lose their man all the time, and no one is able to box out and rebound effectively. As noted above, it's a pathetic showing for a team that had a week to prepare.

This is the 5th game in a row where the team has a negative +/- in the 2nd half and I believe the 3rd time (from those 5) where they were -8 or worse. Caputo and team have a lot to answer for as many of you have pointed out. It's clear they're overmatched and are having extreme difficulty making the necessary adjustments.

A few other notes:
1. I feel bad for Darren. He needs to work on his FTs but besides that he's been working his ass off trying to keep us in games. You can tell how frustrated he's been over the past few games and I fear it'll only get worse. Our only real consistent offensive weapon at this point.

2. I love Stretch. I really do, but he's a major liability on the offensive end of the court. Teams know he isn't getting the ball and isn't posting up so they can press our guards higher forcing them to take worse shots. Need to figure out something there.

3. What has happened to JBIV? Over the last 4 games he's shooting 19/73 (26%) and seems to be forcing a ton of bad shots. He's the leader of this team and needs to pick it up for us to have any hope of winning any future games.

4. Autry was supposed to be a shooter, right? That's what I remember hearing/reading. I know he's only a true freshman and needs time to adust but shooting 30% from three on the season just won't cut it.

5. I think Jacoi will turn out to be a good player for us, but it's clear (at this point) that he's not a scorer. He's looked pretty good on defense (a few freshman mistakes but that happens) and I think he'll be a good distributor after gaining some valuable experience this year. Need him to develop his offensive game.

At the end of the day we need to figure out a way to not be the worst defensive team in the league and remember how to shoot the ball. If we can't do any of that I have a hard time seeing us winning any of our remaining games.

Last edited by MG14 (2/06/2024 10:23 pm)

2/06/2024 10:24 pm  #40

How come no more press conferences? How about asking Caputo to publicly account for this slide?

Board footera