GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/10/2024 10:05 pm  #41

Re: GW vs Loyola Chicago Game

Good work by LSF.
Hope Jun is good.

2/10/2024 11:15 pm  #42

The team certainly fought hard which was good to see following the Rhody game. It's a shame to see it result in another loss, especially at home. I felt badly seeing JB and Garrett's faces in the postgame. Everyone played hard and left it out there for Stretch and Jun once they couldn't return to the game. Agree that with Jun this game is won.

It was nice to see the shots fall a bit more (and shots on the other side fall a bit less). I think by default that was bound to happen sooner or later. Periods of play on both sides were better, but the same issues that have plagued the team remain.

Offensively, I hate to say it but it doesn't feel that different from what JC was running at this point. Loyola was top 75-ish in defensive assist rate (as CC alluded to it's hard to make passes against them), but so are like at least half the teams in the A10. What can GW do to counter that? There's just too much standing around off ball. JB accounts for 7 of the 11 assists. He probably ranks high in assist percentage again! But just like in the JC era there's just one pass being made and a shot. A good shot at times, but not one given up for a great one. I said in the preview that I fully expected Loyola to greatly outclass GW in passing but it was still disappointing nonetheless.

It's nice when JB and Max are on (great to see that happen more today) but they are shooting mostly low quality shots. When Max had the ball in the halfcourt, everyone watching knew he was going up with it within a few seconds. I know Max is a very willing passer (he showed that during the game) but I can't fault him for just jacking up a shot because no one is ever trying to get open off the ball. You can copy and paste the same thing I said for JB although he of course has the added threat of driving the ball. JB has returned to taking the midrange, but suddenly it feels like he doesn't know where his sweet spot is and chucked up multiple contested ones. I don't know how this team can ever win without putting up at least 80 points. The GMU game feels like an outlier. The one bad luck factor against GW has definitely been opponent FT shooting at home - it feels like every team has been automatic this year. That wasn't the case last year so things even out I guess.

Defense is as big of a question mark. The effort rotating on defense was certainly better today (especially in the first half), but if I'm being objective Loyola missing a bunch of threes for the majority of the second half was luck. The Ramblers whipped the ball around and got open look after open look (quality shots) but the shots did not fall. They weren't missing because the shots were being contested. There were still moments double teaming the post and then being late to get back to the perimeter as well. The past couple of games neither URI nor Loyola has been absurd from 3 or anything (URI made just four threes, Loyola was at about their average) but whether it was dominating in the paint or crushing GW's transition defense there are just too many holes to exploit right now. The team is young and CC is still feeling things out as a first time coach, but I thought he was the defensive guy at Miami. Outside of blocked shots, the defense has been largely disappointing and not disruptive. It was nice today to see multiple forced shot clock violations in the first half though.

The final point of discussion has to deal with roster construction. It's a point that I felt tempted to write about a couple months back, and again late in OOC play when CC showed visible frustrations about the NCAA ruling allowing second-time transfers to play (at least the rest of this season, but we all know where it's going). GW had to fill a ton of spots last offseason, but I can't think of another team that filled so many spots with the number of unprovens that CC did (outside of Antoine Smith). Was this due to CC thinking it was the best roster he could build with respect to the transfer rules at the time (he's definitely been screwed over by this) or is it the reality of GW's NIL situation compared to A10 peers? Maybe both? St. Joe's didn't do much, but they had a lot returning. La Salle and Davidson are the only other schools that come to mind that didn't do well in the transfer portal and have as a result also found themselves towards the bottom of the conference (although I think both schools again brought back more than GW and Davidson doesn't have a grad school which hurts). CC has scouted unprovens very well thus far but I don't know that continuing to do this almost exclusively is sustainable.

Last year, there weren't enough guards and CC addressed that. Now if seems there are too few frontcourt players? The concern for me coming into the season was what happens if Stretch gets into foul trouble or injured. Keegan was dominant at Kenner as usual but I think we all knew he wasn't getting non-garbage time minutes. I think we expected Jun to take over as a small ball 5 which has happened, but that now leaves multiple holes down low if Stretch and Jun are out either due to foul trouble or injury.

Let's be honest - while players have missed a game or two here and there, GW has been very fortunate with regards to injuries (credit the support staff for sure). Jun is an absolute warrior - he has hit the floor hard many times this year but fortunately he was able to absorb the blows prior to today. So what happens with both Stretch and Jun unavailable? Antoine had some great plays defensively during the game and has provided a lift on offense at times this year but the URI game showed that it's probably unfair to expect him to guard inside for prolonged stretches. Zam definitely still needs another offseason. I guess whether it's due to injuries, illness, or otherwise Benny has been a bit disappointing. Maybe he was expected to play a bigger role this year and it didn't pan out? I just feel like there was no plan if Stretch and Jun are unable to be on the court. Garrett is more of a wing than a guy who plays in the post (although he did have a nice block in the game). The offensive rebounds and layups by Adelekun hurt and decided the game (I thought he was going to be one of the harder guys to defend coming in).

It will be interesting to see what happens in the offseason. I like the young core a lot and hope we can keep all of them. But will CC be able to land guys with previous production from the portal this coming offseason with JB, Antoine, and Stretch out of the fold (I assume Akingbola isn't doing the extra year)? GW will need experienced pieces, but also ones that have actually played and produced in some fashion. Don't think a Loyola haul from last offseason is realistic but even half of that would be nice. In the meantime, praying that Jun's injury isn't a long term one.

2/11/2024 9:30 am  #43

Alum1 wrote:

Liked to me like Jun was holding his crotch amd groin. Not sure what’s worse, the hammy or a groin muscle pull?

I certainly have been critical, but not today. The guys played with passion and we just aren’t deep enough to absorb the loss of Buchanan for half the game. I have to take a deep breath to say this, but Stretch too. Without those two, watching Loyola under their basket was like watching Shaq playing against a high school team. They were just walked all over us. And just for fun they’d bury threes.

This had zero to do with coaching. What was Chris to do? Who should he have put in?  He got 100% out and d these guys today. He’s just limited by what he has.

100% What options did they have at the end! None IMO

2/11/2024 2:29 pm  #44

Looked like we were gonna get that badly needed W, but it wasn’t meant to be.  As fans we have our theories about what’s wrong, but what really matters is what the coaches think and do. Before we can even look at analytics we need to look at basics and fundamentals!

We loved Joe Mac and Ty Cav!  Why?  They played the game the right way.  Hard nosed, 2 feet on the ground, and with physical presence.  They played D the right way.  The same way summer camps teach kids. You play D with your legs.  That’s why Shaka Smart has a drill where he ties hands behind their backs so they don’t reach!  Reaching is a sign of laziness ala every goddamn and-one yesterday!  Not every play needs to be a blocked shot.  Wonder if the coaching staff would consider that drill, or maybe show film of Jrue Holiday.

On offense just come to the ball to receive a pass.  Or make a hard cut!  I don’t know, I’m just a fan.

I’m just curious what a team meeting of coaches is seeing as weaknesses.  Is it different from what we see?

There is no doubt that this team has worked hard.
Hope they get the W at Mason.  Go Revs!!!

2/12/2024 10:15 am  #45

As the saying goes, work smarter, not harder.

The hard work should not be questioned.  Plenty of effort and energy to go around.  I just don't see the point of playing a team very closely for 35 minutes or so and then take several ill advised, very long, low percentage shots down the stretch.  Max made two key threes...one was a catch and shoot in rhythm which was a perfect shot to take,.  The other was a very long contested 3 that he was fortunate to make.  Including these two makes, the team was 10-30 from 3, shooting 50% of its shots from deep.  Why not work for a high percentage shot during a one possession game?  Just 20 points in the paint compared with 36 by Loyola.  Loyola shot over 43% for the game, nothing outstanding, but it doesn't have to be when the other team shoots 35%.  It was clear which team was seeking higher percentage shots.

Other notes:

1) Although Stretch was not giving the team a whole lot aside from the defensive boards, playing him with 4 fouls and plenty of time left was a poor decision, particularly since Jun was finished for the game.  Unlike guards who have greater control over committing a fifth foul, big men often do not, as was evidenced by Stretch's 5th foul which was a dubious call but nevertheless put an end to Stretch's game.  With both Jun and Stretch gone, Loyola converted on 4 layups and 2 dunks to help seal the victory.

2) Anyone else notice a pattern to get Garrett going early in the game and to presumably forget about him late?  Saturday was the latest example with 10 of his 12 shot attempts coming before halftime.  On a related note, if we could run a few plays where his defender gets screened in order to free him up for open 3's, I think that just might work.

3) Trey Autry has averaged less than 12 minutes per game in conference games.  He began the season as a starter and developed a noticeable chemistry playing alongside Jacoi.  He is a "swiss army knife" type of player, capable of contributing in many ways.  He has made some freshman mistakes which could be a function of his inexperience as well as the result of a blow to his confidence.  Made both of his shots on Saturday, including a 3 pointer, and appeared like it would have been in this team's best interests in playing him more than 7 minutes.  Would love to see his confidence restored with more playing time.

2/12/2024 10:20 am  #46

dmvpiranha wrote:

The team certainly fought hard which was good to see following the Rhody game. It's a shame to see it result in another loss, especially at home. I felt badly seeing JB and Garrett's faces in the postgame. Everyone played hard and left it out there for Stretch and Jun once they couldn't return to the game. Agree that with Jun this game is won.

It was nice to see the shots fall a bit more (and shots on the other side fall a bit less). I think by default that was bound to happen sooner or later. Periods of play on both sides were better, but the same issues that have plagued the team remain.

Offensively, I hate to say it but it doesn't feel that different from what JC was running at this point. Loyola was top 75-ish in defensive assist rate (as CC alluded to it's hard to make passes against them), but so are like at least half the teams in the A10. What can GW do to counter that? There's just too much standing around off ball. JB accounts for 7 of the 11 assists. He probably ranks high in assist percentage again! But just like in the JC era there's just one pass being made and a shot. A good shot at times, but not one given up for a great one. I said in the preview that I fully expected Loyola to greatly outclass GW in passing but it was still disappointing nonetheless.

It's nice when JB and Max are on (great to see that happen more today) but they are shooting mostly low quality shots. When Max had the ball in the halfcourt, everyone watching knew he was going up with it within a few seconds. I know Max is a very willing passer (he showed that during the game) but I can't fault him for just jacking up a shot because no one is ever trying to get open off the ball. You can copy and paste the same thing I said for JB although he of course has the added threat of driving the ball. JB has returned to taking the midrange, but suddenly it feels like he doesn't know where his sweet spot is and chucked up multiple contested ones. I don't know how this team can ever win without putting up at least 80 points. The GMU game feels like an outlier. The one bad luck factor against GW has definitely been opponent FT shooting at home - it feels like every team has been automatic this year. That wasn't the case last year so things even out I guess.

Defense is as big of a question mark. The effort rotating on defense was certainly better today (especially in the first half), but if I'm being objective Loyola missing a bunch of threes for the majority of the second half was luck. The Ramblers whipped the ball around and got open look after open look (quality shots) but the shots did not fall. They weren't missing because the shots were being contested. There were still moments double teaming the post and then being late to get back to the perimeter as well. The past couple of games neither URI nor Loyola has been absurd from 3 or anything (URI made just four threes, Loyola was at about their average) but whether it was dominating in the paint or crushing GW's transition defense there are just too many holes to exploit right now. The team is young and CC is still feeling things out as a first time coach, but I thought he was the defensive guy at Miami. Outside of blocked shots, the defense has been largely disappointing and not disruptive. It was nice today to see multiple forced shot clock violations in the first half though.

The final point of discussion has to deal with roster construction. It's a point that I felt tempted to write about a couple months back, and again late in OOC play when CC showed visible frustrations about the NCAA ruling allowing second-time transfers to play (at least the rest of this season, but we all know where it's going). GW had to fill a ton of spots last offseason, but I can't think of another team that filled so many spots with the number of unprovens that CC did (outside of Antoine Smith). Was this due to CC thinking it was the best roster he could build with respect to the transfer rules at the time (he's definitely been screwed over by this) or is it the reality of GW's NIL situation compared to A10 peers? Maybe both? St. Joe's didn't do much, but they had a lot returning. La Salle and Davidson are the only other schools that come to mind that didn't do well in the transfer portal and have as a result also found themselves towards the bottom of the conference (although I think both schools again brought back more than GW and Davidson doesn't have a grad school which hurts). CC has scouted unprovens very well thus far but I don't know that continuing to do this almost exclusively is sustainable.

Last year, there weren't enough guards and CC addressed that. Now if seems there are too few frontcourt players? The concern for me coming into the season was what happens if Stretch gets into foul trouble or injured. Keegan was dominant at Kenner as usual but I think we all knew he wasn't getting non-garbage time minutes. I think we expected Jun to take over as a small ball 5 which has happened, but that now leaves multiple holes down low if Stretch and Jun are out either due to foul trouble or injury.

Let's be honest - while players have missed a game or two here and there, GW has been very fortunate with regards to injuries (credit the support staff for sure). Jun is an absolute warrior - he has hit the floor hard many times this year but fortunately he was able to absorb the blows prior to today. So what happens with both Stretch and Jun unavailable? Antoine had some great plays defensively during the game and has provided a lift on offense at times this year but the URI game showed that it's probably unfair to expect him to guard inside for prolonged stretches. Zam definitely still needs another offseason. I guess whether it's due to injuries, illness, or otherwise Benny has been a bit disappointing. Maybe he was expected to play a bigger role this year and it didn't pan out? I just feel like there was no plan if Stretch and Jun are unable to be on the court. Garrett is more of a wing than a guy who plays in the post (although he did have a nice block in the game). The offensive rebounds and layups by Adelekun hurt and decided the game (I thought he was going to be one of the harder guys to defend coming in).

It will be interesting to see what happens in the offseason. I like the young core a lot and hope we can keep all of them. But will CC be able to land guys with previous production from the portal this coming offseason with JB, Antoine, and Stretch out of the fold (I assume Akingbola isn't doing the extra year)? GW will need experienced pieces, but also ones that have actually played and produced in some fashion. Don't think a Loyola haul from last offseason is realistic but even half of that would be nice. In the meantime, praying that Jun's injury isn't a long term one.

Just a couple points here.

Other than Jun and Johnson, I don't think the young core has done enough to warrant that much attention from other schools. That's not to say they won't leave just that the market is not going to be very strong. As for Jun and Johnson, both have been other places and they are both local kids. They may recognize that the grass is not always greener elsewhere. We will see but I am not convinced any of these guys leave at least for next year.

You mentioned Keegan. This should be example  no. (more than 20) at GW of why Kenner doesn't mean anything. I know by next summer there will be another kid who will be reviewed here as a difference maker who will play very sparingly. People in general (not you) just have to understand what Kenner is and what it is not. It's painfully obvious that the coaching staff who watches practice every day does not believe Keegan can help in any way or he would be playing, especially in light of our shortcomings as far as front court depth. People can think what they want about Kenner but nobody has watched Keegan play more than CC.

Last edited by GWRising (2/12/2024 10:22 am)

2/12/2024 10:34 am  #47

Gwmayhem wrote:

As the saying goes, work smarter, not harder.

The hard work should not be questioned.  Plenty of effort and energy to go around.  I just don't see the point of playing a team very closely for 35 minutes or so and then take several ill advised, very long, low percentage shots down the stretch.  Max made two key threes...one was a catch and shoot in rhythm which was a perfect shot to take,.  The other was a very long contested 3 that he was fortunate to make.  Including these two makes, the team was 10-30 from 3, shooting 50% of its shots from deep.  Why not work for a high percentage shot during a one possession game?  Just 20 points in the paint compared with 36 by Loyola.  Loyola shot over 43% for the game, nothing outstanding, but it doesn't have to be when the other team shoots 35%.  It was clear which team was seeking higher percentage shots.

Agree with you that the shot selection once we built up a 5-point lead was a contributing factor to us blowing the lead (along with not being able to guard Adelekun).

We got Loyola Chicago into the double bonus with I think (?) 10 minutes left in the second half. We should've been getting it inside over and over with CC chanelling his inner Herb Brooks yelling "Again!" 

There was even one time where either Garrett or Max drove inside and tried a jump pass that got intercepted vs. going to the rim to draw a foul.  

I think too often we try to mimic the NBA where stuff like jump passes work because NBA players are good vs. recognizing this is college basketball and more often than not you'll get more rewarded doing the boring old-school basketball stuff like what Loyola did the last 5 minutes of the game.

Last edited by GW0509 (2/12/2024 10:37 am)

2/12/2024 3:32 pm  #48

At least the team didn't get blown out in the second half like has been happening in the last few games. Maybe coach figured something out.

Agree with everyone else about shot selection. The offense towards the end was just dribble and try to beat your man off the dribble, and that didn't work.

2/12/2024 3:55 pm  #49

squid wrote:

Agree with everyone else about shot selection. The offense towards the end was just dribble and try to beat your man off the dribble, and that didn't work.

Been saying since very early in the season, pretty much every team passes better than we do. Whether
the lower to the very lower levels we played in the OOC or the A-10, this is true. As mentioned in this thread
by one of our excellent analysts, Loyola of Chicago "whipped" the ball around. At one point, I noticed Loyola passed maybe six or more times, leading to an open shooter.
   We play one on however many, passing sometimes only when we get stuck in desperation. This style can work withssometimes with James and Jun driving and they occasionally dish, mostly James. But we're also blocked or miss.  And early in the shot clock, we often hoist up 3s with no rhyme or reason. I think we did that on Saturday, even
when we had a lead and should have protected it. But in any case, premature, inopportune 3-point shots (by anyone
not named Garrett) have often seemed to snuff out any comebacks when we are finally gaining traction. 
    Our overall talent is the only thing keeping us in games and leading to wins. Not team play. It is reminiscent, in a way of the Hobbs teams. Those teams, including the 26-1 regular season, was so athletic, that they could dig holes holes (most dramatically against North Carolina-Wilmington) and come back. 
   But they passed better, had way more athletic talent and the comebacks were because of defensive pressure, which we lack. 
So we need to start playing together more.

Board footera