GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/17/2024 1:16 pm  #21

Re: GW vs Richmond Game

i genuinely don't think the defense was as bad as the 52 points indicates. they hit every shot, even contested ones

2/17/2024 1:18 pm  #22

Quinn vs Akingbola is (and was always going to be) a total mismatch. So defense needed to be ready to defend the perimeter and move off screens... and that is not happening.
At the other end, ball movement is OK, shots are just refusing to go in.

2/17/2024 1:20 pm  #23

Is there no way Keegan can a least give a foul or two so their big men can earn it at the foul line? Gonna see Quinn in the paint in my dreams tonight.

2/17/2024 1:24 pm  #24

jf wrote:

Is there no way Keegan can a least give a foul or two so their big men can earn it at the foul line? Gonna see Quinn in the paint in my dreams tonight.

Can we hack into Richmond’s recruiting system to figure out how they keep finding fundamentally sound bigs?

2/17/2024 1:29 pm  #25

Has GW ever given up 50 points in the first half two games in a row? I’d be surprised if we have…

2/17/2024 1:35 pm  #26

Stretch just missed an easy dunk to cut it to 9 and then gives up a foul on the other end....

2/17/2024 1:41 pm  #27

MG14 wrote:

Stretch just missed an easy dunk to cut it to 9 and then gives up a foul on the other end....

Stretch seems like a really nice guy and its clear that he works very hard and really wants to do well for his team, but its pretty clear at this point that he is just not a starting A10 center…

2/17/2024 1:46 pm  #28

On the bright side, James and Max appear to be back on track.

2/17/2024 2:07 pm  #29

To think we had the lead down to 4 at one point 

2/17/2024 2:14 pm  #30

GW0509 wrote:

To think we had the lead down to 4 at one point 

To think this team was once 3-1 in the A10, with the only loss in 3OT…

2/17/2024 2:23 pm  #31

Hey, they held Richmond under 100!!!
Not as bad a game as the one at Mason.
(Looking for positives)

2/17/2024 2:33 pm  #32

at least effort wasn't an issue today

2/17/2024 2:43 pm  #33

Hugh wrote:

at least effort wasn't an issue today

It’s gotta be draining when effort doesn’t get rewarded. Numerous times we had guys dive in the floor only to have the ball squirt out to a Richmond player. 

2/17/2024 3:13 pm  #34

I was pleased with the effort. I thought Max coming off the bench was smart.We should have done better with Quinn. James was James today. Why was Garrett in scrubs? Clearly, Richmond has more speed, more athleticism and numerous inter changeable parts. They have recruited well. GW has to do better in that department.

2/17/2024 3:17 pm  #35

- Federal spending and debt have hit the tipping point
- the Communist Chinese have so infiltrated western infrastructure and its cyber capabilities --particularly water--that we have planted our own seeds for chaos and destruction.
- Congress cannot pass anything on a bipartisan basis except more spending, less revenue, and higher debt;
- The NATO alliance is under the most pressure ever from a vile dictator that is celebrity to clown "journalists/entertainers like Tucker Carlson;
- the Rule of Law is caving to the weaponization of creative but destabilizing lawyering;
- our citizenry is incapable of meaningfully distinguishing good from evil; 
- most of America's young people are depressed and don't want to bring kids into the world; and
- the two clowns our population has chosen to lead us at this dangerous time are both old charlatans surrounded by sycophants who care more about power and ego than sacrificial service to others.

So, the longest losing streak in 35 years and 1-27 amidst the transfer portal and NIL tumult isn't really that bad!   And the PA system at the Smith Center is now working.

Raise High!     

2/17/2024 3:34 pm  #36

Last edited by GW0509 (2/17/2024 3:35 pm)

2/17/2024 3:59 pm  #37

Actually, like others, was impressed by the effort. We are who we are. Alas, but still.
Biggest worry is Garrett's injury.
   Max was better. James hit 5 3s and shot more than 50% from 3. Jun was back and even at less than full speed, you can see how much this freshman means to this team.
The only way we can look at this, I guess, and keep up hope, is that it is like early Hobbs and ML teams learning their way. The long-term problem is there wasn't free agency back then. 
     Sorry, but our cream puff schedule (which may be insulting to cream puffs) did us no favors, despite a taste  of early A-10 success.
       The coaching staff, still better in recruiting than what we had in recent years, may have tightened up on the rotation too early in the season, not only because the tendency is usually to tighten up in league play. Turns out we needed some more players to perform.  Antoine Smith, Jr. (had to look up his full name because he wasn't a factor until recent games) is better in extended minutes than he was early. And while he may have defensive lapses, Smith is a gamer and still fighting while playing out of position. Oddly, or maybe not based on results, Shroder played more early in the season and less now. We can insert him at times for intensity, if nothing else. Zam can hit 3s at times, if again, nothing else.
     The coach and the team have actually grown some since the worst of this losing streak, assuming we have seen the worst. Nowhere near enough. But we have to start looking to next year and the years ahead, (while of course, preparing for our miracle run culminating in an A-10 Championship).
   No need for James to play 40 minutes, without a break. He almost got injured in the last minute of if not a blowout, a substantial loss. That would have been real bad for him (most important at this point) and us. He would probably be more effective, 30-34 minutes, unless desperately needed. That's what we envisioned at the start of the season. While James is often a second half player, he tends to fade at the end of games, presumably in large part because of tiredness. That seemed to happen against LaSalle or Loyola (the losses are running together).
     We need to build on today and continue to work on changing up defenses, passing the ball (progress made today, especially early), a bunch of other things and maintaining a competitive spirit. While using anyone who can contribute at least a small amount now and especially in future years.

2/17/2024 8:08 pm  #38

I don't have a lot to say about the game without sounding like a broken record. Richmond was just the better team although GW played hard and I feel for the guys that are clearly giving their all and not getting the result everyone wants. There were still the usual issues. Stretch not being comfortable to close out on shots beyond five feet of the rim and missing close proximity shots on the other end. Richmond moving the ball significantly better than GW (21 to 10 assists) although there were periods where the Revs were moving the ball better. GW not finishing in transition on offense and not getting back when Richmond was in transition. We all know the issues. I think it's unacceptable regardless to lose multiple conference games by 15+ at home, but that's a separate discussion.

CC said the right things during the postgame press conference. GW's defense doesn't "impose their will" on the opponent, and hasn't for several years even before CC. The all-rookie team and rookie of the year accolades are great, but I'd love to see an all-defense selection (I think Jacoi can get there). I don't think GW has had one since Yuta, and that's definitely deserved given how the team has played on that side of the ball since he left. Outside of SLU, GW is so much worse on defense than the other teams in the A10. Richmond made some tough shots, but you don't give up 80+ points eight games in a row by mistake. Even with the youth and injury stuff, that almost feels hard to do.

As GW0509 mentioned, I also liked that CC acknowledged the mess up in roster construction. Given how many spots GW had to fill last offseason, it felt like GW wasn't able to succeed in the portal. How much of that was GW's NIL situation and how much was CC's decision making is unclear, but when the only "proven" guy you get (Antoine Smith) was not even a top 3 option on a bottom 15 team in the country, it's a failure. Stretch is an easy guy to root for, but there's a difference between landing a down transfer who was a a backup at the high major level and one who was a third string center (no disrespect, just the reality).

There was a discussion about JB in the previous game thread. I think the way the roster was assembled did JB a major disservice for a guy who chose to come back. The team is young, but did it have to be to the extent that it was assembled? Mason was in a slightly worse position than GW in the offseason, but Skinn performed significantly better than CC in the portal. UMass may be the closest team to GW in conference when it comes to youth, but I don't think Martin has the freshmen play as many minutes as GW does.

It's great that Jun, Garrett, and Jacoi have emerged as promising young guys, but CC simply overdid recruiting unprovens/underclassmen after the success that Max had. I think right now there are three open scholarships for next year, and it's likely to be four as I'd be stunned if Keegan came back. There may be more that open up but the returning backcourt (not including Benny since he's somewhat position-less) as of now is Max, two sophomores (Jacoi/Trey), and two freshmen (Christian as a redshirt, Ty). How many guards can you add without the roster being too lopsided? Regardless, we're looking at another "young" team in the backcourt - the most important part of the team. It's why I wasn't a fan of signing three freshmen last year, although I think CC learned from that mistake this year by just signing Ty. This team will definitely need an experienced option or two at the guard spot outside of Max though.

Most of the scholarships will go to the frontcourt. I'm sure CC realizes now that you need a competent big man who can score on the block. The Richmond game summed up the issue with this year's team - GW shot better from 3 than 2. Last year's team was so good at scoring in the paint. Meanwhile this year's team has two guys - JB and Jun - who can score inside at a decent clip. Pretty much everyone else struggles. The upgrade in shooting is great (and was needed) but it's gone too much in the other direction to the point where the team struggles to finish inside. Can Benny adequately backup Jun/Garrett next year? How about Zam? Up front, the team will be very young again.

There are definitely a lot of questions going into next year. I don't doubt that CC will be looking to add experience everywhere and better defensive pieces but I'm worried that he many not be able to get what he's looking for given how the last couple offseasons have gone.

2/17/2024 9:26 pm  #39

GW's defense is just outright bad. How do you allow a team to shoot 76% against you for an entire half. Seeing our defense picked apart and shredded by Richmond was brutal.  Watching Stretch try to guard Quinn would have been hilarioius if it wasn't so embarassing. It was like a child guarding an adult. Further, I don't know how many times we got caught on the switches, where Hutch would have to cover Quinn and Stretch was out trying to guard King. We are not physical and we don't box out. How little must the staff thing of Harvey for him to have not gotten into these last 2 games while Stretch was an absolute train wreck on the court. What is perhaps the saddest is that the coaching staff did not have a clue how to adjust or try to fix things. Same on offense. One person dribbles for 10 seconds, puts the head down and drives to the basket and either throw up a bad shot or be stripped. I know Bishop had at least 3 of his layup attempts blocked. Where is the ball rotation? Where is the setting up of the higher percentage shot. And what is up with Trey? Not only has he not shown any progress but he has regressed. Today 20 minutes, 0 points, 0 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 turnovers, 3 fouls. As with defense, again the sad part is that the coaching staff seems to either not recognize the problem or doesn't know how to fix it. Perhaps also if we played more under control on offense and held the ball a little longer ito work for a better shot, that would not only allow us to score more but also allow the defense to hold a team under 80 (now 90) points. The staff has much to do in the off season, including retained that small group of players that you can actually build a winner around and finding some players, especially up front, who can defend. But the good news is that as we are told before every home game that the team had some great practices and we are told they are not discouraged. Of course the other good news is we don't have to worry about losing Caputo during the off season.

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (2/17/2024 9:27 pm)

Board footera