GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/15/2019 9:01 pm  #1

Other Games Thread (11/16 - 11/30/19)

Other thread was getting a little long and ergo unruly thought I'd start a new one
Rhode Island + 12 late second-half over Alabama.

Last edited by dmvpiranha (11/20/2019 6:22 pm)

11/15/2019 9:33 pm  #2

Re: Other Games Thread (11/16 - 11/30/19)

3 nights, 3 A10 wins over SEC teams. 
Rhode Island blows out Alabama 93-79

11/16/2019 11:53 am  #3

Alabama cut their deficit down to about 4 late in the game, then Rhode Island buried them to win by 14. Alabama should be a decent team in the SEC(the announcers said one of their guards, sophomore Kira Lewis Jr., could be a 1st round pick in the upcoming draft), so this was a big win for Rhode Island and the A10. Obi Toppin's younger brother is a freshman on Rhode Island, he's not as tall and athletic as Obi, he's more of a slasher/shooter type of forward. He played well last night for Rhode Island, in addition to their big 3 of Fats Russell, Jeff Dowtin and Langevine. Their Big 3 just dominated Alabama. 

Temple at La Salle    2 on ESPN+
St.Joe's at Loyola Chicago  2
UNC Wilmington at Davidson   7 on ESPN+
Charleston Southern at Dayton  7 on ESPN+
Marist at Fordham  7 on ESPN+
James Madison at George Mason  7 on ESPN+ and one of the MASN networks
St.Bonaventure at Rutgers  7 

NON A-10 TEAMS
Vermont at St.John's   4 on FS2

COLLEGE FOOTBALL
#2 Ohio State at Rutgers  3:30 on the Big 10 Network - I had to include this because Ohio State is a 52 POINT FAVORITE!! That has got to be one of the highest point spreads ever for 2 teams in the same conference. What's worse for Rutgers is, OSU should easily cover this!! LOL

11/16/2019 2:13 pm  #4

Thomas, at what point does Rutgers get the Premiere league style expulsion to a lower league lol
My home state, I am a fan, it has been painful to see. 
Rhode Island did look good yea. I wonder if they can make a bubble watch this year, at times they look like it.

11/16/2019 3:26 pm  #5

I can somewhat understand why the Big 10 added Rutgers(and Maryland to a lesser extent), they wanted the East Coast/Mid-Atlantic TV markets for football!! But having schools who are bad enough give up 70+ points and be 50 Point Underdogs to the elite teams in the conference can't be good for the Big 10 in the long run. I fully expect Rutgers to be down by 50 at halftime against Ohio State!! The only drama in this game will be, whether Rutgers will be able to slow down Ohio State's 2nd and 3rd string offense?? Maryland wasn't able to slow down OSU's back-ups last week in the 2nd half.  

The Dude,  Rutgers will go winless in the Big 10 every year, but I guess you can be happy that the 5-star players from the NJ powerhouse schools will get more looks from the likes of Penn State, Michigan and Ohio State now!! HA! 

Rhode Island will add Georgetown transfer Antwan Walker in a few weeks so they should be even better than this. He'll add even more size, athleticism and shooting to their team. 

11/17/2019 4:36 pm  #6

Schiano is coming back Thomas, watch out!!!  And the only team to score 3 TDs against OSU all year?  Rutgers!  Against 3rd stringers, but it still counts.

11/17/2019 6:16 pm  #7

I like your enthusiasm! Go Rutgers!!
Wow, UCONN big win over #15 Florida today!

11/17/2019 7:03 pm  #8

The Ross Man!,  I'll admit to being wrong about Rutgers in their game against Ohio State, they gave a hell of an effort against Ohio State for the entire 60 minutes!! The TV announcers did mention that Rutgers was the 1st or 2nd team to score more than 20 on Ohio State this year. Ohio State looks to be the type of team where the entire team will be in the NFL in 2 years. Is Greg Schiano really coming back to Rutgers?? Schiano coming back would generate a lot of optimism for Rutgers

UConn beat Florida?? I forgot about that game. Florida is struggling a bit right now, but I'd expect them to be elite in March. St.Louis got blown out by Seton Hall at home today. STL missed a bunch of shots to start the game, Seton Hall led 8-0 or 9-0 to start and it was an uphill battle for STL for the rest of the game. No matter who Travis Ford puts out on the floor, you can guarantee that they'll shoot horribly from the field!! LOL

I just saw that St.Bonaventure won at Rutgers, 80-74, last night. That was Rutgers first loss of the season, so the A10 is continuing to knock off BCS teams. St.Bonaventure sophomore star Osun Osunniyi hasn't played yet. Is he injured? Ineligible?

Georgia State at Georgetown  7:30 on FS1 - Georgetown got spanked by Penn State at the MCI-Verizon-Capital One Center during the week and it will be interesting to see how they respond in this game. It seemed as if Penn State had them down by double digits for the entire 2nd half, Penn State ended up winning by 15. A number of Georgetown fans are panicking already, and its just the 4th game.

11/18/2019 5:13 pm  #9

In former GW player recent game news, Kevin Marfo with 13 rebounds and 9 points against Miami.
Colin Smith 18 points and 6 rebounds against Illinois State.
Jordan Roland, who plays tonight against Holy Cross, has slown down. Now, he is only averaging 31 points a game, 48 % from 3, 58 % from the field and over 90% from the FT line.
  A now-restrained Jair Bolden, whom we will see soon.had 12 points (his season average along with 5 rebounds as a half-game player) and 3 assists against Cleveland State. Admittedly small sample size, but shooting over 54 pct. from the 3, compared to the low 30s for us. 
  Hope Jair is happy, but gets the surprisingly good shooting out of his system on Dec. 1.

11/18/2019 11:47 pm  #10

And Darnell Rogers plays tomorrow night at LSU. 

He is averaging 16 points, 4 rebounds, 5.25 assists per game so far for UMBC.  Looks like he could have succeeded as a college point guard after all, even if it took him a couple of years before getting to really show his stuff.  Hard to believe we could have had Jordan Roland, Collin Smith, Jair Bolden and Darnell Rogers all playing together last year.

11/19/2019 7:14 pm  #11

The UMBC-LSU game is on the SEC Network, UMBC is up 9-1 early. Darnell Rogers is coming off the bench because UMBC got a starter back from injury

11/19/2019 7:32 pm  #12

Bill Koch‏ @BillKoch25 4m
Fatts Russell being helped to the locker room by trainer Daniel Anthony. Limping like he sprained his right ankle. #URI

Last edited by GW0509 (11/19/2019 7:32 pm)

11/19/2019 7:46 pm  #13

Fatts would be a huge injury, hopefully not too serious.
He was recruited 3 years ago and is starring for a contender A10 team, not coming off the bench at UMBC after bouncing around/not playing etc

11/19/2019 7:54 pm  #14

Fatts is back in the game, leading scorer in the 1st half.

11/19/2019 10:52 pm  #15

Jordan Roland held to only 28 points (in just 27 minutes) against Holy Cross tonight.

11/19/2019 10:59 pm  #16

Radford takes it to Northwestern!
Wow. Not sure if that says more about Radford or Nothwestern but wow.

11/19/2019 11:59 pm  #17

Rhode Island, Dayton, Mason and Davidson all win a clean sweep for the A10
24 points 5 steals and 6 dimes for Fatts Russell.

11/20/2019 2:26 pm  #18

Watched most of Darnell and UMBC vs. LSU. Despite a 9-1 start, UMBC was overwhelmed.
Darnell, however, was not. He clearly can play Division 1 ball. The announcers loved him.
Darnell's shot was really off from his usual form this season, so despite a high average, he didn't score a lot. Still, he scored 6 points (his game total) in a row. Two were from penetrating against and through at least 4 LSU players and then banking in a reverse layup high off the boards. The other was from penetrating and shooting a left-handed pull-up jumper.  These points were against the SEC's LSU, not Towson, Howard, AU or Morgan State.
    Though off, Darnell's outside shot form looked exactly like his father's. Starting low, with a quick spin. He's not as strong as Shawnta. And smaller. Listed at 5'2, as announcers note, tied for shortest D1 player in the last 20 years. In person, he seems shorter than that. Can hang with and can foot defend players literally about a foot and a half taller, but did not yesterday have the steals his father was known for. Nor the active hands, which was a Shawnta trademark. Presumably could be a liability outside of a zone defense and sometimes within, based on the one game, but don't know if he had many steals.
   Absolutely a beautiful passer. Throws a lot of bounce passes to avoid the height issue. Some good bounce passes might be better than some of the lazy passes we've seen that were picked off by low-level competition. Better than his father, in this one game sample, in feeding the post.
  Darnell is really quick. We know where he got this attribute. He can go to the rim almost at will, but often stops short, so he doesn't get blocked. Then sets up his teammates with a great pass. If they had made their shots or not fumbled the pass, Darnell could easily have gotten 10 assists, rather than 4. Watch the game replay.
   Would Darnell start over another A10 legacy JNJ? At point, probably not. JNJ has a bigger upside and is so athletic he can dunk easily. But he could start at point on this team, moving JNJ to 2 and certainly would be good to settle us down at critical times. Darnell was clearly the primary ballhandler on the team, more so than we ask of our point guards. And Darnell had 2 turnovers in 29 minutes, which would be terrific on this team.
  Imagine JC ultimately could figure out a role for him. He would have been great to watch and fostered some excitement as we get beaten down by the Morgan State's of the basketball world. Even the LSU fans were rooting for Darnell when the game was in hand.
And we would have been able to relive (not fully, but a lot) Shawnta,which would have made the past years and our current (and hopefully ending soon) woes just a bit more palatable.

11/20/2019 3:06 pm  #19

He seems fun to watch, and extremely small and quick, and that's about  where the similarity with his all time great GW Dad ends.  

In what would have been his Soph season at GW he scored a total of 18 points spread over 20 games at FGCU.For the entire season. 18 points.

last night, in his would be senior season, he was 3-12 playing UMBC, 0-6 from 3.  I watched game, he banked in a jumper from 16 and two scoop layups through some traffic.

This is his would be Senior season, we should be recruiting better players than guys who can't play more at FGCU.  I was his louddest most vociferous supporter here as as recruit, I do think the right 5-3 guy can succeed in the A10 clearly as history shows, but Darnell does not appear to be that guy.

Last edited by The Dude (11/20/2019 3:07 pm)

11/20/2019 6:20 pm  #20

Let's make these threads bi-weekly with dates so that we avoid having 100+ threads just called "Other games".

One game not mentioned yesterday was Boston U's 78-70 win over South Carolina in Columbia. We are facing both opponents later in OOC season. The Gamecocks don't figure to be one of the better SEC teams this year, but the result is quite surprising as BU is probably a middle of the pack Patriot team at best. Jair had a decent game all things considered with 8 points, 7 rebounds, and 2 assists, but he failed to make any threes much like the team as a whole. Between BU, South Carolina, a Delaware team that can really light up the scoreboard, and Vermont who gave UVA all they could handle last night, the young guys will get some good practice ahead of conference play.

Board footera