GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/26/2024 2:48 am  #1

GW vs UMASS Game

Looking to break the streak, GW takes on UMASS next

With a NET of 83, UMass wil be no easy foe for a team that's really been struggling to right the ship and battling through key injuries

Does GW pull off the upset to get to 15-13 on the season?

Predicted Line?  Injury updates??

2/26/2024 10:46 am  #2

Re: GW vs UMASS Game

I detect a  distinct lack of interest or enthusiasm.

2/26/2024 11:02 am  #3

Alum1 wrote:

I detect a distinct lack of interest or enthusiasm.

Can confirm. I'm always loathe to directly criticize any student-athletes when I know that they and their families are likely to read this board, but I think we are squarely in the phase where we need to think 1) who we want to keep and 2) who it's time to nudge into the portal. I don't care all that much about scores and results anymore.

There's been a lot of talk about the team being "young" and needing to "develop," but there have been a lot of young teams in the last 35 years, and none of them lost ten games in a row. So I'm just skeptical of how much there is to build around right now.

2/26/2024 11:43 am  #4

Wow! Nudge people into the portal? Is there a cancer among them? Someone irretrievably beyond further development? Rising 4.0 GPA senior Keegan Harvey who introduced Carl Elliott at the HOF Induction doesn’t fit on this team because of his limited playing time? Zam and Benny can’t contribute more with another 3 years of coaching and development? Max disillusion people because his sophomore year wasn’t as consistently excellent as his 1st year? Maybe run off Darren and Garrett because they got hurt and left the team short-handed? 10 in a row sucks but I fail to see the quit or indifference on the court that festers in the stands. Frontcourt needs reinforcements but the coaching staff knows that better than we do. Just don’t see where addition by subtraction is the answer.

2/26/2024 12:36 pm  #5

Poog, I'm a firm believer that a scholarship should be a mutual four-year commitment between a coach, a student-athlete, and a university. Those days are gone. There has been no shortage of tough conversations between GW coaches and members of the men's basketball roster that essentially say that the coaching staff believes their best days will be spent elsewhere. 

In my heart, Poog, your comment is noble and right. In my head, I hope we won't be so naive as you propose as the gap between the haves and have-nots continues to widen.

2/26/2024 2:08 pm  #6

This is a basketball board - a place where the few die hard GW hoop fans we have left can come to vent.
If young student athletes and their families let a fan board factor into their life decisions, that's problematic on various levels.
!0 losses in a row is not the problem. The last 8 years resulting in 4 different coaches is the problem. The problem is institutional. Before the start of the 2016-2017 season, I said it would take us a decade to recover from the debacle the administration caused by betting on the wrong horse (Nero). I was half kidding due to my depression with the program at the time. Now, you can compare me to Nostradamus.
I hope CC can raise this sunken ship in his 3rd year but it won't be easy. We need Power5 talent to be in the top half of the A10 and I just don't see that happening suddenly. What happened in 2016 is still having an impact on our reputation, recruitment, who we hire as coaches and alumni giving. I don't think CC realized this when he took the job.
The portal can provide talent from those who are looking for a bigger role and fresh start. GW can provide both with the many openings we are sure to have in the next few months.

2/26/2024 3:34 pm  #7

In the 1988-89 season, GW entered its home game with umASS on a 13-game losing streak and won.
See, there is a reason to be hopeful.

2/26/2024 4:26 pm  #8

Joel Joseph wrote:

This is a basketball board - a place where the few die hard GW hoop fans we have left can come to vent.
If young student athletes and their families let a fan board factor into their life decisions, that's problematic on various levels.
!0 losses in a row is not the problem. The last 8 years resulting in 4 different coaches is the problem. The problem is institutional. Before the start of the 2016-2017 season, I said it would take us a decade to recover from the debacle the administration caused by betting on the wrong horse (Nero). I was half kidding due to my depression with the program at the time. Now, you can compare me to Nostradamus.
I hope CC can raise this sunken ship in his 3rd year but it won't be easy. We need Power5 talent to be in the top half of the A10 and I just don't see that happening suddenly. What happened in 2016 is still having an impact on our reputation, recruitment, who we hire as coaches and alumni giving. I don't think CC realized this when he took the job.
The portal can provide talent from those who are looking for a bigger role and fresh start. GW can provide both with the many openings we are sure to have in the next few months.

Yes, Joel, we all know the history, the multiple GW screw-ups (and if anyone didn't know them I am sure they do now based on the repetitive nature of your posts) and how we have not been able to rise above it yet. ML is not coming through the door. None of the then decision makers at GW are still around. Every discussion does not need to begin with a statement of past grievances since they are largely irrelevant to most everyone still at GW. Stipulated that most everything you have stated about that is true and unfortunate.

Now tell me more about what CC can do to get things back on track because at some point the statute of limitations is going to run out lol. 

Last edited by GWRising (2/26/2024 6:55 pm)

2/26/2024 4:59 pm  #9

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

In the 1988-89 season, GW entered its home game with umASS on a 13-game losing streak and won.
See, there is a reason to be hopeful.

And here's another reason to be hopeful because we are playing UMass.
In the 2018-19 season we lost 4 in row, beat UMass, lost 5 in row, beat UMass (in the A-10 Tournament). Under MoJo we finished 9-24 (4-14)
The last time we lost 11 in a row was the 2008-09 season under Hobbs. We finished 10-18 (4-12)

2/26/2024 6:29 pm  #10

Rising, 
Here's some suggestions:
1. Move to a conference more suited to our investment (or lack there of) and performance of late - like the Patriot League. 
2. Get a new athletic director. Our men and women sports have consistently under performed in the A-10 during her tenure. Her performance evals show a decline in performance, revenues, etc.

Nothing is going to change with Tanya and company. Our students don't care, our alums don't give $ and P5/6 caliber players aren't coming here. Our strength used to be getting the DMV kids who were talented but not talented enough for GTown, MD and UVA (or overlooked). Now, GM, Towson and UMBC are getting them.

Every year we hear about how we should be winning like we did in the past under Jarvis, Hobbs and Lonergan. How we are just 1 recruit away or if only we didn't have that injury. The administration needs to do an honest assessment of where we are and where we want to go as a research university in D-1 athletics. Throw in the fact that our academic standing has slowly been sliding also (albeit at a much slower pace than athletics) which is what alums really care about.

Raise High lol.

2/26/2024 6:31 pm  #11

Looking forward to welcoming the Minutemen.  In case you missed it, tomorrow is Benedict Arnold Night at the Smith Center. 

2/26/2024 6:56 pm  #12

GWRising wrote:

Joel Joseph wrote:

Yes, Joel, we all know the history, the multiple GW screw-ups (and if anyone didn't know them I am sure they do now based on the repetitive nature of your posts) and how we have not been able to rise above it yet. ML is not coming through the door. None of the then decision makers at GW are still around. Every discussion does not need to begin with a statement of past grievances since they are largely irrelevant to most everyone still at GW. Stipulated that most everything you have stated about that is true and unfortunate.

Now tell me more about what CC can do to get things back on track because at some point the statute of limitations is going to run out lol. 

To be clear, when I said statute of limitations, I meant on the past grievances not on CC.

2/26/2024 7:08 pm  #13

Gwmayhem wrote:

Looking forward to welcoming the Minutemen.  In case you missed it, tomorrow is Benedict Arnold Night at the Smith Center. 

Ha! Perfect! Maybe some inventive students can hack the scoreboard (a la CalTech at the Rose Bowl) and change their name to the "umASS Benedict Arnolds" and the crowd can chant "We are not traitors!"

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (2/26/2024 7:30 pm)

2/27/2024 12:17 am  #14

UMass Minutemen (Game 2)

Date: Tuesday February 27th, 2024
Time: 7:00 PM ET
Venue: Charles E. Smith Center
TV: ESPN+
Analytic Ranks: 90th (KenPom), 102nd (EvanMiya), 76th (Haslametrics)
NET Ranking: 86th
2023-24 Projected Record: 19-11, 10-8 (T-5th in A10)

Game 1 Result: UMass 81, GW 67 (Johnson 16 points, Buchanan 15 points, Edwards 13 points)
UMass Preview: Link
UMass Record Since Last Matchup: 5-4 (Wins @ St. Louis, vs. George Mason, vs. Rhode Island, @ Richmond, vs. VCU; Losses vs. St. Joe's, @ St. Bonaventure, @ La Salle, vs. St. Bonaventure)

Offensive Efficiency: 79th (KenPom), 92nd (EvanMiya), 68th (Haslametrics)
Defensive Efficiency: 117th (KenPom), 127th (EvanMiya), 104th (Haslametrics)
Pace: 97th (KenPom), 82nd (EvanMiya), 103rd (Haslametrics)

Projected Starting Lineup:
Josh Cohen (Senior; Lincroft, NJ) - 16.3 ppg, 6.9 rpg, 1.7 apg; 55% FG, 36% 3-PT, 69% FT per 28.6 mpg
      Game 1 @ UMass: 15 points, 12 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 block; 6-11 FG, 1-3 3-PT, 2-3 FT in 34 minutes.

Matt Cross (Senior; Beverly, MA) - 15.1 ppg, 8.4 rpg, 3.1 apg, 1.6 spg; 54% FG, 33% 3-PT, 79% FT per 29.6 mpg
      Game 1 @ UMass: DNP (ankle, tooth injury)

Rahsool Diggins (Junior; Philadelphia, PA) - 12.4 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 2.3 apg, 1.3 spg; 39% FG, 35% 3-PT, 79% FT per 30.3 mpg
      Game 1 @ UMass: 25 points, 1 rebound, 5 assists; 9-19 FG, 5-11 3-PT, 2-2 FT in 32 minutes.

Keon Thompson (Sophomore; Merrillville, IN) - 10 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 3 apg, 1 spg; 47% FG, 25% 3-PT, 74% FT per 27.8 mpg
      Game 1 @ UMass: 13 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals; 6-12 FG, 1-6 3-PT in 35 minutes.

Jayden Ndjigue (Freshman; Ayer, MA) - 5.6 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 2.2 apg, 1.3 spg; 49% FG, 37% 3-PT, 55% FT per 24.2 mpg
      Game 1 @ UMass: 1 point, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals, 1 block; 0-2 FG, 0-2 3-PT, 1-2 FT in 26 minutes.

Projected Bench:
Jaylen Curry (Freshman; Charlotte, NC) - 7.9 ppg, 1.4 rpg, 2.1 apg; 38% FG, 27% 3-PT, 72% FT per 17.4 mpg
      Game 1 @ UMass: 17 points, 3 rebounds, 4 assists; 8-12 FG, 1-3 3-PT in 27 minutes.

Daniel Hankins-Sanford (Sophomore; Charlotte, NC) - 6.6 ppg, 5.1 rpg; 47% FG, 33% 3-PT, 60% FT per 18.6 mpg
      Game 1 @ UMass: 10 points, 8 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, 1 block; 4-8 FG, 0-1 3-PT, 2-4 FT in 30 minutes.

Robert Davis Jr. (Freshman; Detroit, MI) - 4.2 ppg, 1.7 rpg; 34% FG, 32% 3-PT, 75% FT per 14 mpg
      Game 1 @ UMass: 2 rebounds, 1 assist; 0-1 FG, 0-1 3-PT in 7 minutes.

(Martin may mix in Marqui Worthy, Tarique Foster, Mathok Majok, and Tyler Mason for a few minutes here and there)

Conference Marks (A10 play only):
Combined Team Rebounds: 38.8 RPG (1st)
Rebound Margin: +5.9 RPG (1st)
Team Offensive Rebounds: 13.4 ORPG (1st) (sigh...)
Assists Per Game: 14.6 APG (2nd) (sigh again...)
Scoring Offense: 75.3 PPG (2nd)
Combined Opponent Rebounds: 32.9 RPG (3rd)
Assist Turnover Ratio: 1.31 Assists/TO (4th)
Scoring Margin: +4.1 PPG (4th)
Opponent Turnovers Per Game: 11.8 TO/G (5th)
Opponent FG Percentage: 42.8% (6th)
Steals Per Game: 6.7 SPG (6th)
Team Defensive Rebounds: 25.4 DRPG (7th)
Team FG Percentage: 44.5% (7th)
Turnovers Per Game: 11.1 TO/G (8th)
Opponent FT Percentage: 72% (9th)
Scoring Defense: 71.1 PPG (9th)
Team FT Percentage: 71.9% (9th)
Blocked Shots Per Game: 2.9 BPG (12th)
Opponent 3-Point FG Percentage: 37.6% (12th)
3-Point FGs Made: 6.3 3PM (15th)
Team 3-Point FG Percentage: 30.1% (15th) (Reason to have hope?)

Individual Leaders (A10 play only):
Scoring:
Josh Cohen - 15 PPG (11th)
Matt Cross - 13.5 PPG (20th)
Rahsool Diggins - 13.1 PPG (25th)

Rebounding:
Matt Cross - 8.5 RPG (2nd)
Josh Cohen - 7.1 RPG (6th)
Daniel Hankins-Sanford - 6.3 RPG (12th)

Field Goal Percentage:
Matt Cross - 54.8% (8th)
Josh Cohen - 49.3% (15th)

Free Throw Percentage:
Matt Cross - 86% (10th)

3-PT Field Goals Per Game:
Rahsool Diggins - 2.2 3PM (9th)

Assists:
Keon Thompson - 2.9 APG (17th)
Matt Cross - 2.8 APG (20th)

Steals:
Rahsool Diggins - 1.2 SPG (18th)
Jayden Ndjigue - 1.1 SPG (20th)
Matt Cross - 1.1 SPG (21st)

Minutes:
Rahsool Diggins - 32.5 MPG (18th)

Keys/Trends:
- Specific for GW: UMass has made more than eight threes in a game just once in their past nine contests since the last matchup (vs. Rhode Island). The URI game was also the only game they shot over 33% from distance during that period. I say this with realization that UMass ran away in the last game without crushing GW from deep (they were just 8/27). I'm saying it more to highlight that Martin's bunch isn't one that will generally punish you from deep.

- UMass is a strong rebounding team. In eight of their past ten games, they have outrebounded the other team. In the two games they didn't (@ La Salle, vs. St. Bonaventure) they went 0-2. When the Minutemen defeated Richmond by 10 at their place, they won the rebounding battle by 17. This figures to be a problem for GW, who tends to concede a lot of rebounds to opponents. They only lost the battle by 3 in the first matchup, but that was without Cross.

- Going one step further, GW's concern tomorrow will be preventing the Minutemen from getting second chance opportunities. UMass pulls down more offensive boards than any other team in the A10, which helps offset shortcomings in shooting. Without Jun, GW could struggle mightily here. The Minutemen have pulled down 10 or more offensive boards in nine of the past ten games.

- The question for GW is always about defense. Can the Revs keep UMass under 80 points? On the year, the Minutemen are 12-1 when they score 80 or more points. The only loss was about a week ago at La Salle. Amherst has only hit that benchmark three times in the past nine games, but I just don't know how GW can stop them without Jun.

- Stopping the interior will be key. UMass shot over 50% from the field in the last matchup and they did that without Cross. They have not hit that in the nine games since. Again, without Jun this will be tough but I'm interested to see what CC puts out there to catch the Minutemen of guard (if possible with this team at this point).

- Josh Cohen has had three separate stretches this season where he scored in double figures five games in a row. In all three cases, he finished below 10 points in the sixth game. Against St. Bonaventure, he put up his fifth straight double figure scoring performance. Can GW keep the pattern going and hold him to single digits scoring in game 6 for the fourth time?

- Cohen has also taken at least six free throws (and pulled down at least six rebounds) in each of the past five games. For a team that hasn't fouled a lot for much of the season, GW has run into a bit of foul trouble lately. Keeping Cohen off the FT line and glass will be key to keeping him in check. He had 12 rebounds in the last matchup, his third highest output of the season in that category.

- How does CC adjust to facing Matt Cross for the first time this season? Cross has been very productive when healthy, having finished in double figures in 19 of 24 games this year. He's also a dominant rebounder, having pulled down at least five boards in each game since returning from injury.

- In a late game situation, Cross is not a player that you'd want to foul. In the last nine games, he's shooting 82% from the foul line (28/34). He also had a seven game stretch earlier in the year where he made 30 straight FTs.

- Rahsool Diggins can't possibly have another career performance right? In the month of February, Diggins is just 25/79 (31.6%) from the field. He is also 7/31 (22.6%) from three in his last four contests. He isn't afraid to let it fly from deep with even the slightest bit of space (five straight games with at least six three point attempts) but making five threes again - something he's only done two other times this season feels unlikely (or at least I hope so).

- Keon Thompson on the other hand may be a guy we can get away with losing along the perimeter. Thompson has made multiple threes in a game just twice all season (interestingly both on the road at SLU and Bonaventure) and is 0/8 from deep in his last five games combined. He's also scored fewer than 10 points in three straight games.

- Jaylen Curry had a great January, posting double figures in six of eight contests in the month. He's cooled off in February, going just 17/58 (29.3%) from the field and is 3/12 from deep in his last three games. Outside of January, he's posted just four double digit scoring performances. Curry has put up at least five shots in every game in the new year so consider him the x-factor for tomorrow's game.

- Daniel Hankins-Sanford has seen his production understandably drop after Cross returned from injury. In the eight games that he's played since coming off the bench again he has failed to hit double figures in all of them. In the four games he started without Cross he finished with 10 or more points in three of those games. Despite that, he has still made an impact - Sanford is 7/11 from the field in the last three games and has secured at least five boards in each one.

- Although he went scoreless in the last matchup, keep an eye on Robert Davis Jr. as the freshman can get hot in a hurry. After a couple notable performances shooting the ball from deep during OOC play, Davis went eight straight games without making a three (seven of them were during conference play). His fortunes have changed a bit recently, as he's made at least one three in six of eight games so GW won't want to leave him open. Martin has also handed him more minutes of late, as he's played 14+ minutes in five of the last six games after playing more than 10 minutes just twice earlier in conference play.

- In general, I'm not too worried about the results at this point. That's especially true if Garrett and Jun aren't returning this year. I am however still watching the process to see if the team is building good habits (moving the ball offensively, closing out on shots defensively and rotating better). Things started to look better against Joe's, but MBB regressed against SLU. I was a bit disappointed to see CC say after the SLU game that he thought the team played good second half defense and that defense was a challenge because they were undermanned. The only thing different about the second half compared to the first was that SLU missed the same shots they made earlier in the game. Not having Jun hurts the interior without a doubt, but injuries have not impacted just how horrible the defense has been along the perimeter. That's my worry moving forward. Probably not as much this next game, but in general. Not having Jun for tomorrow would actually make a big difference defensively if GW weren't able to come out on top as UMass is more interior focused.

Projected Score: UMass 83, GW 77. 28% chance to win (KenPom). ESPN gives us a 23.2% chance to win the game.

2/27/2024 4:41 pm  #15

Its been a long time since I looked forward to going to a GW game less than I am tonight's game.  

2/27/2024 4:52 pm  #16

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

Its been a long time since I looked forward to going to a GW game less than I am tonight's game.  

And yet like lemmings, we watch.
Won't give up unless the team gives up in a really demonstrative fashion.
   We are due, anyway, for a change of fortune. Which would be more likely if Jun somehow plays.

2/27/2024 6:04 pm  #17

I think there is a good chance Jun will be playing tonight but it may be a game time decision..

Last edited by GWRising (2/27/2024 6:05 pm)

2/27/2024 6:40 pm  #18

Jun is warming up with the team. Johnson on the bench in street clothes.

2/27/2024 6:47 pm  #19

creeksandzeeks wrote:

Poog, I'm a firm believer that a scholarship should be a mutual four-year commitment between a coach, a student-athlete, and a university. Those days are gone. There has been no shortage of tough conversations between GW coaches and members of the men's basketball roster that essentially say that the coaching staff believes their best days will be spent elsewhere. 

In my heart, Poog, your comment is noble and right. In my head, I hope we won't be so naive as you propose as the gap between the haves and have-nots continues to widen.

Yeah….pining for the past and lamenting it isn’t going to bring it back. The fact is, today you have to be ready to manage a roster - both proactively and reactively.  I don’t mind transparency in this area. When Pitino took over St. John’s  he was very clear  at his presser when he took the job that “ a lot of players probably won’t be back.”  It may not be pretty, but that’s what it is today. I do think it would be fairer to tell players we offered you a scolly and we’ll stand by it if you want to stay here and matriculate, but it won’t be considered an athletic scolly and you won’t be playing basketball. Seems to me (rules permitting) that’s a fair was to give some ability for decisioning to the student athlete. So Keegan - you want to stay here for a GW degree, we’re all for that. If you want to go play basketball at  Central Connecticut St?  That’s fine too.

2/27/2024 6:59 pm  #20

No Zam or Benny tonight either. Keegan is going to have to get minutes as I expect Smith and Stretch to get in foul trouble.

Board footera