GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/02/2024 3:43 pm  #21

Re: GW vs La Salle Game

Free Quebec wrote:

What a dunk by Sheppard.  That guy can fly.

Play of the game. (God forbid GW even attempt to box out when the other team is taking an open 3)

3/02/2024 3:44 pm  #22

Free Quebec wrote:

What a blown assignment.  Someone was suppose to put a body on him tonprevent tvat from happening.

3/02/2024 3:46 pm  #23

If you can rewind, do it. You’ll be treated to three GW players standing and watching while Shepard blew by them.  Absolutely inexcusable. Just poor basketball. Not sure you can coach players who can’t do simple things like box out. The worst. .

3/02/2024 3:48 pm  #24

Free Quebec wrote:

What a blown assignment.  Someone was suppose to put a body on him tonprevent tvat from happening.

3/02/2024 3:50 pm  #25

The 1-27 team never lost more than 14 in a row. This is GW's longest losing streak since John Keuster was coach. Facts.

3/02/2024 3:53 pm  #26

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

Free Quebec wrote:

Rewind. You’ll see Stretch and Jun looking like they were watching a replay. Sad.

3/02/2024 3:54 pm  #27

We didn't want them to feel bad as Tom Gola arena closes.
On plus side, Darren really good in return. He's a great find.

3/02/2024 4:05 pm  #28

Welp.

Yeah, I'm at least glad to hear (from an A10 fan perspective) that LaSalle is finally updating their arena. Long overdue.

3/02/2024 4:17 pm  #29

Alum1 wrote:

Free Quebec wrote:

Rewind. You’ll see Stretch and Jun looking like they were watching a replay. Sad.

To be fair, Shepherd came from the three point line and they were both in the paint when the shot went up.  It’s hard to box out a guy 20 feet away from you. 

Sometimes you just have to tip your cap to an opposing player for a great play.

3/02/2024 4:31 pm  #30

Free Quebec wrote:

Alum1 wrote:

To be fair, Shepherd came from the three point line and they were both in the paint when the shot went up.  It’s hard to box out a guy 20 feet away from you. 

And sometimes you have to do the basics. Look like you know what’s going on and box out. Look at the replay. They ,made ZERO  effort to box out. Zero. Man, you have an excuse for these guys for literally everything. From the beginning of the season right to the latest ridiculous play. And if you think that was a good effort on game 29, when it’s been  a problem all year, well, you’re just a toadie for these guys.

3/02/2024 5:08 pm  #31

I'm going to come down in the middle of Free Quebec and Alum1 as to that one play. Clearly a blown box out assignment. No guys should a get a free run at the rim from the three point line. However, I just think Jun and Stretch were gassed. Neither is in shape right now to play the minutes they did today. So when you are gassed and it's late in the game it's the little and mental things that go first.

We played a relatively clean game on offense - only 8 turnovers and shot 39% from 3, 47% from the floor and 79% from the line. On D we were solid for most part but the offensive rebounds killed us. They had 21 second chance points and that is what killed us all game long. So the Shepherd dunk was endemic of a problem that plagued us throughout.

Last edited by GWRising (3/02/2024 5:09 pm)

3/02/2024 5:20 pm  #32

Thought this was our day when Trey banked in that three.  But no, not able to get key rebounds or avoid crucial  turnovers time and again.

I was hoping to see some rotations without JB on the floor just for kicks.  How bout we start Stretch, Jun, Trey, Jacoi, and Zam on Wed?  It would hold my interest much more if anybody is interested in playing at  full speed for a full 2 possessions on both ends.  Whoops, scratch that idea, senior night.  Maybe against Duq.

And I love Jun, but does he have to end up on the ground after every shot?  It creates mismatches. He’s not getting the calls. Yeah, I know, least of our problems.

Last edited by H&R..71 (3/02/2024 5:26 pm)

3/02/2024 6:16 pm  #33

Didn't expect this year's team to finish the year with somehow less depth than last year's squad. I guess that's the way it goes sometimes. It'll be an accomplishment if the team can finish the year out with enough healthy players at this point. Jun and Stretch were clearly toughing it out for periods of this game too.

I thought the defense was as good as could be expected at this point. Probably a bit fortunate that La Salle missed more shots than usual. Just another game where I find myself noticing the night and day difference between the looks the other team gets versus the ones GW gets. Boxing out is one of the top priorities against La Salle. Not having Max hurt rebounding, but next year's team has to be better at finishing off possessions with a rebound when the other team misses a shot. Also, whether it's a make or a miss GW never gets back on defense.

Despite the shooting percentages, I was a bit disappointed with the offensive process. Even a bit shorthanded, the team should still be moving the ball around. GW has talented individual players, but I'm still waiting to see the team play 40 minutes as a collective unit. I found myself watching WBB more closely today. Even with their inability to score consistently, at least they play together as a team. It can't just always be JB or Jun going one on whatever and trying to make something out of nothing and hope that they convert. 6 assists? Terrible. 1 field goal attempt for Stretch, just 4 for Trey despite playing a combined 77 minutes. Just 8 turnovers doesn't mean much when the team isn't moving the ball at all. They were fortunate on some plays as well, whether it was forcing passes in traffic or JB getting so deep in the paint that he had to hoist a pass to halfcourt for another player to catch in order to reset. It is what it is at this point, but until GW can master fundamentals on both sides of the ball the ceiling is capped for the foreseeable future.

3/02/2024 6:40 pm  #34

dmvpiranha wrote:

1 field goal attempt for Stretch, just 4 for Trey despite playing a combined 77 minutes.

Jesus.  Great call out. Had to read this three times because it’s so ridiculous.

3/02/2024 7:25 pm  #35

Alum1 wrote:

Free Quebec wrote:

Alum1 wrote:

And sometimes you have to do the basics. Look like you know what’s going on and box out. Look at the replay. They ,made ZERO  effort to box out. Zero. Man, you have an excuse for these guys for literally everything. From the beginning of the season right to the latest ridiculous play. And if you think that was a good effort on game 29, when it’s been  a problem all year, well, you’re just a toadie for these guys.

Don’t get me wrong, we did a poor job not only boxing out but also grabbing and holding rebounds even when we had position.  I’m just not all that worked up about that one play where the best leaper in the league (maybe the country) was unguarded when a shot went up and slammed home a rebound above everyone else.

Tell me, which player on that play should have boxed out Sheppard and how?

3/02/2024 9:31 pm  #36

Free Quebec wrote:

Alum1 wrote:

Free Quebec wrote:

Don’t get me wrong, we did a poor job not only boxing out but also grabbing and holding rebounds even when we had position.  I’m just not all that worked up about that one play where the best leaper in the league (maybe the country) was unguarded when a shot went up and slammed home a rebound above everyone else.

Tell me, which player on that play should have boxed out Sheppard and how?

I guess you’re serious??  The two guys who were both standing under and just left of the basket  with their arms by their  sides , that’s who. They should have been spreading out, filling the lane with arms outstretched. That’s basketball at its most basic instead they both stood there.  Couldn’t even get in the way by mistake.  But you’ve made a year of explaining away and enabling bad play.  That’s you.

Last edited by Alum1 (3/02/2024 9:56 pm)

3/03/2024 8:03 am  #37

Basketball at its basic level is a simple game, take easy shots and force your opponents to take hard shots or not get off shots at all..  I looked at the box scores for all conference games and for the 12 game losing streak in particular.  If my math is correct, opponents made exactly 100 turnovers in 12 games or 8.3 per game. Admittedly it is a lot to ask Bishop and Hutchinson to pressure the ball when both played 40 minutes but that has not been the case all year.  Yesterday La Salle made exactly three turnovers.  Unless and until we take opponents out of their comfort zone, we are going nowhere..   . .

3/04/2024 1:09 pm  #38

It shows how beaten down the fan base is that there has been just 1 comment on our 12th loss in row
since roughly five hours after the game.

3/04/2024 2:11 pm  #39

jf wrote:

It shows how beaten down the fan base is that there has been just 1 comment on our 12th loss in row
since roughly five hours after the game.

I think that’s fair.  I’m as guilty as anyone, as with each new loss, I dig my head a little bit further down into the proverbial sand.

Trying not to be a Fair-weather fan. I’ve been watching every game and rooting just as hard. But, I just haven’t had the spirit to actually talk about it here.

I am looking forward to Wednesday’s game, and in my forever-rose-colored glasses I’m focused on the future.

3/04/2024 2:30 pm  #40

This team has sucked the joy and optimism I had for this season and beyond.  Going forward, there is Buchanan, Johnson, Hutchinson and a couple of guards that I have never seen play.  Maybe Max if he can get his act together.  I have seen so little development in  anyone on the team other than Hutch and Buchanan. And of the 3 or 4 “good” players, who knows if all of them will stay.  Further, the conference season has severely shaken my confidence in the coaching staffs ability to fix things.  So yes, I still go to the games and watch, but it has t been much fun in a while.

Board footera