GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/01/2024 4:12 pm  #1

The Coaching Carousel Thread

That time of year, and so it begins

GW0509 noted DeMatha HC Mike Jones is now the new Hea Coach of  Old Dominion 

3/01/2024 6:55 pm  #2

Re: The Coaching Carousel Thread

Who?

3/02/2024 2:16 am  #3

Juwan Howard is 8-22.  The Carousel has to start with the Michigan job right?

Can you survive 8-22 and 4 years of downward trajectory from Beilein's teams NCAA Finals heights?

Last edited by The Dude (3/04/2024 1:55 am)

3/02/2024 11:04 am  #4

The Dude wrote:

Juwan Howard is 8-21.  The Carousel has to start with the Michigan job right?

Can you survive 8-21 and 4 years of downward trajectory from Beilein's teams NCAA Finals heights?

I'll bet you that Juwan is back next season.

3/02/2024 11:18 am  #5

Gwmayhem wrote:

The Dude wrote:

Can you survive 8-21 and 4 years of downward trajectory from Beilein's teams NCAA Finals heights?

Michigan has lost six in a row, 11 of their last 12 and is 3-15 - dead last - in the Big 10. That and all of his other issues means Juwan is a dead man walking.

3/02/2024 12:15 pm  #6

Gwmayhem wrote:

The Dude wrote:

LMAO

3/02/2024 2:32 pm  #7

Lamont Paris and South Carolina win again against ranked Florida

Paris will be a target of Michigan when the inevitable vacancy is created

24-5 in a loaded SEC Paris will be highly coveted what a season for South Carolina who was in the Smith Center 1 year ago blowout by GW

Another home loss for Wisconsin who is in free fall, loss after loss in Big10 play

Last edited by The Dude (3/02/2024 3:05 pm)

3/03/2024 9:15 am  #8

Alum1 wrote:

Juwan is a dead man walking.

Nope. He'll be back. Juwan literally struck an opposing coach in the face in the handshake line on camera for the world to see and he didn't get fired. Why do you think a last place finish would push him out the door?

3/03/2024 12:41 pm  #9

I think Juwan probably gets another year but I wouldn't rule out a separation. Depends on the key question ... how much is the buyout? Remember Michigan just saved a boatload of money with Harbaugh departure.

3/03/2024 1:05 pm  #10

It’s probably a similar calculation that Georgetown made with Ewing. Hard to fire a legendary player.

I don’t see them firing Howard this year unless there’s a clear replacement in line already. Schertz at Indiana State may be that guy but Ohio State could snag him first since they already have the opening. Now if they continue to bottom out next year then I think they rip the bandaid.

3/03/2024 3:11 pm  #11

You guys could both be right. But I’m still of the opinion that after this year, they have the ability to pull the band aid without too much splash back given the abysmal year.

3/03/2024 3:14 pm  #12

Mike Hopkins out at Washington, Danny Sprinkle from Utah State to take his place

3/03/2024 3:28 pm  #13

While speaking with an in-law today he noted how bad the coaching at Auburn football is. Several ex coaches receiving millions of dollars , bad team, and a mediocre quarterback at Auburn transferring to Oregon only to turn into a super star.  Ugh! Seems like college sports isn't much fun anymore.

3/03/2024 3:30 pm  #14

Central Arkansas also canned their coach yesterday. I feel for Jabari. Committed to GW under JC, GW changes coaches. Now the same thing happens at UCA.

3/03/2024 6:21 pm  #15

Washington certainly gave Mike Hopkins every opportunity to turn it around

Michigan is losing to Jameson battle and Ohio State by 30 points about to drop to 8-22

3-5 from the field 2-3 from three point range for Jamison Battle.  Ohio state has played themselves back onto the bubble!

3/04/2024 1:15 pm  #16

Brian Dutcher returning to Michigan, prediction to replace Juwan Howard

Jerome Tang and Dusty May perhaps but a Dutcher to Michigan reunion seems most likely

3/04/2024 3:20 pm  #17

Juwan is on a zero-tolerance policy with Michigan as a result of punching Joe Krabbenhoft's head two seasons ago.  Jon Sanderson, the strength and conditioning coach who was a John Beilein hire 15 years ago, overheard an altercation back in December between one of his trainers and Juwan's son Jace who had yet to be cleared to play due to a stress fracture.  Sanderson jumped in and told Juwan's son that he was being disrespectful and entitled.  That set off Juwan who was ready to fight Sanderson, according to Sanderson.  The coach was restrained and cleared of any wrongdoing a week later.  Sanderson left the basketball program but stayed on working with other Michigan athletes until this past Friday when he resigned from the school.

Sanderson has a sophomore in high school who is considered a top 50 recruit nationally in his class.  Michigan has already extended an offer to him.  In a world where anything can happen, am pretty sure that he won't be going to a school where his father just lost a power-struggle to Juwan Howard.  So sure, Michigan could part ways with Juwan after this season, after having already lost out on a prized recruit because of him, but I don't think so.

3/04/2024 3:50 pm  #18

Gwmayhem wrote:

Juwan is on a zero-tolerance policy with Michigan as a result of punching Joe Krabbenhoft's head two seasons ago.  Jon Sanderson, the strength and conditioning coach who was a John Beilein hire 15 years ago, overheard an altercation back in December between one of his trainers and Juwan's son Jace who had yet to be cleared to play due to a stress fracture.  Sanderson jumped in and told Juwan's son that he was being disrespectful and entitled.  That set off Juwan who was ready to fight Sanderson, according to Sanderson.  The coach was restrained and cleared of any wrongdoing a week later.  Sanderson left the basketball program but stayed on working with other Michigan athletes until this past Friday when he resigned from the school.

Sanderson has a sophomore in high school who is considered a top 50 recruit nationally in his class.  Michigan has already extended an offer to him.  In a world where anything can happen, am pretty sure that he won't be going to a school where his father just lost a power-struggle to Juwan Howard.  So sure, Michigan could part ways with Juwan after this season, after having already lost out on a prized recruit because of him, but I don't think so.

The truth will likely never completely come out, but Ward Manuel is quite aware of the facts and would very much like to take action. Juwan could easily be fired for cause.  This is not his only violent issue since the Krabbenhoff incident.  There's a group of influential donors who apparently control the situation at the moment (NIL).  Ward is sick and tired of the culture problems brought on by Juwan and is comfortable losing both father and son, but he'd be dismissed from his position as AD.  So, the lawyers got involved and cut the deal.  Sanderson gets paid and agrees not to talk (NDA).  Michigan continues down the path of rolling the dice with Juwan, hoping he can keep his cool long enough to have Jace play there for a few seasons.  Seems ridiculous.

3/04/2024 4:06 pm  #19

Oscar, like I said, anything is possible.  But, can you foresee a scenario where the school has made up its mind to fire Juwan at the end of this season, AND lets the long-time strength and conditioning coach (plus his top 50 recruit son) walk out the door?

3/04/2024 4:25 pm  #20

Gwmayhem wrote:

Oscar, like I said, anything is possible.  But, can you foresee a scenario where the school has made up its mind to fire Juwan at the end of this season, AND lets the long-time strength and conditioning coach (plus his top 50 recruit son) walk out the door?

GWmayhem, it's highly unlikely. I think the only ways this would happen is if Juwan's other violent encounter become public information or if Jace ends up causing an embarrassing problem that can't be contained.

Board footera