GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/16/2019 7:55 pm  #1

What's with the rotation?

Thought I'd start a separate thread on this.

In the game thread, The Dude said "I'm of the view Coaches generally know better than us, have better information, I rarely opine about rotation etc, it just strange things are changing so much game to game, I've never seen anything quite like it." I 100% agree with this. Coaches are the ones in practice and know the team, and they literally get paid to make these decisions.

With that said, I just can't come up with a reason for the minutes that are being given right now and how it's changing so drastically game-to-game. This was especially true today, with Shawn Walker getting 35 minutes after getting three DNPs to start the season. And this isn't meant to get on Walker, because he actually looked better than I expected after never seeing him play, especially his ball handling. I can see how he can be a useful piece. But giving him 35 minutes while giving Mezie and Mazzulla a combined 9 minutes is just perplexing to me, especially after Toro went down. Both could've helped on the boards, especially Mazzulla, who averaged 4.5 rebounds per game last year and is about as good a rebounder at guard as you can get. I'm not going to go through everyone in detail, but I also don't think Battle's 34 minutes is warranted at this point since he can't do much on defense, and JNJ still seems to be doing more bad than good (though I'm more understanding of letting him take his bumps early in the season and his career).

I get that wins and losses aren't necessarily a priority this year. But even with that in mind, it just really just seemed today like actually winning the game was a complete afterthought given the allocation of minutes. Any other thoughts/agreement/disagreement?

11/16/2019 8:14 pm  #2

Re: What's with the rotation?

I do agree with you! (and me, lol)
I guess we'll see what everyone else thinks.
I'm sort of at a loss how Walker can go from no minutes at all, to 35 minutes, TBH I was a little more bearish on him than you are, he had a few plays where he got totally lost on defense, he couldn't in bound in 5 seconds, he threw away a ball to no one, it looked like some understandable game 1 nerves.  
As for Mazz and Mezie, why didn't they play more? I don't quite get any of that.
I'm all for the best 5 on the court, or match-up driven decisions, just trying to make sense of everything you laid out.  I'm personally not being critical just perplexed! never seen anything quite like it, game to game!

11/16/2019 8:40 pm  #3

Strongly agree on the inexplicable rotation.
 Still looking forward to JC's reign, but he has to seize the reins. If one of the assistants is running the offense, time to at least temporarily have more input. A lot of it has been discussed here and players sized up intelligently by DMV as usual and as pointed out above, but rotation is bizarre.
We are a 3 point shooting team and Maceo is not getting playing time or looks in most games. Our offense seems to run around Jamison in shooting post and sometimes calling for the ball loudly--and thriving when his shots go in, which isn't yet all the time. If he can get his shots off against better opposition, use his nascent defensive skills and move more on offense to help him and most important others on the team, Jamison has a bright future. He doesn't have to play all game right now.
   Similarly, JNJ is an exciting player who has the capacity for greatness. Perhaps because of his ironic lack of basketball experience and in general being a freshmen, he is not always ready for prime time. Doesn't hurt for him to see the game develop a bit for his learning. He will be our starting point guard (unless we move him to undersized 2) for a long time to come and doesn't have to do it all at once. Do love to watch him dunk.
   Armel is good and bad, as discussed. Needs to defend and make less crazy drives even though he makes 1 out of 3 or 4 in general, though  better today. Also made a great drive and dish to the corner to believe it was Jamison. Armel could be used a little bit just to settle the team down with his ball handling, particularly if he settles himself down.
  Waiting to hear whether Mazz had a stomach virus or something because it was really odd that he played so little. Mazz is one of the few players who plays with heart all the time, like Juice. He barely took off his jersey today after a good performance against AU, as noted. Unless there is something we don't know, big mistake not to use Mazz today.
   Maybe Shawn was great in practice, but he needs to be developed more slowly, rather than thrown in for almost all game, after having played a couple of minutes total in his career. Did note some rebounding success, which shows some encouraging effort, but if Shawn is going to be a key contributor after being left on the end of the bench previously, he can be worked into it. In any case, glad Shawn tried on the boards.
Also if we are a 3 point shooting team, since we have a bad 3 point percentage,let's give Adam Mitola a chance to shoot and maybe run plays for him. Adam can shoot and should get a shot, several shots actually, when we need offense. He plays hard and doesn't do dumb things, serving as a good example for the younger players.
   Glad we are giving freshmen a chance. That was one of Mojo s mistakes, thus Mezie is virtually a freshman in playing time and others are gone.  Mezie meanwhile is overused perhaps in earlier games and barely sniffs the court today, when we are getting killed on the boards. Odd.
Don't know if JC runs the offense or uses coordinators as reported, but he needs to find a happy medium.
These freshmen are not like the freshmen for Hobbs and ML who grew to lead us the NCAAs and NIT championship. Maybe wrong but think either Garino or one of the others from that class didn't even start immediately as a freshmen, though grew in that role quickly. Obviously not talking the same talent level being apparent early, but not sure NBA Yuta even startd from Game 1. Memory may be faulty, of course,  but their early talent level was even better then.
  All for development and want to see growth even if painful, but we also need to win some games for psychological reasons for the player morale and retention. And even the few fans. Not expecting a banner year, but we seem to be exceeding our medium to low expectations this year in a negative way. Sorry, we have more talent and shouldn't lose to AU at home. And we sure shouldn't lose to Morgan State at home,ever. 
They seem to want it more, while we are still figuring our roles. Not a good mix, nor is letting another team get what seemed like 8 rebounds and chances to score on a single possession.
  We need to build on the future and the fans are willing to make sacrifices if we are building toward something. But we are need to play with pride and some at least occasional heartening success in the present.

11/16/2019 8:42 pm  #4

The only rational explanation for me is that OOC is a total learning experiment and wins don't matter.  And while I'm all for development, as someone who attends the games, winning by two instead of 10 is a better alternative than losing these types of games.  

11/16/2019 10:36 pm  #5

You guys probably recall I have literally never question a coaching decision in game I just as I mentioned above in the quote don't believe we have the information or insights necessary,  I trust the coaches do.
But I've never seen such a strange change in rotation game to game I'm at a loss.
Does anyone have JC explaining any of this? Normally I don't much care what coaches say but here I would actually like to know his explanation.

11/16/2019 11:15 pm  #6

Agree 100% with all of what is being said here, especially jf who echoes my thoughts quite a bit.

There are two problems I see right now, 1) the lack of a go-to guy, and 2) the lack of identity.

1) While our team has a bunch of guys who would probably be a good sixth man on a good A10 team as third and fourth options, no player has screamed 'go-to' guy yet this season. JC figures to groom JNJ to one, but he is still too young and inexperienced to do that at this stage (although we have seen flashes). Each player brings something different to the table, but unfortunately those strengths don't fully fit together. While I'm glad we are spending some time during OOC play to see exactly what we have currently, we can play guys a certain number of minutes without going too extreme from game-to-game (as others have mentioned here, Shawn going from DNP to 35 minutes, Javier going from 6 minutes in game 1 to suddenly starting in game 2, etc). In the past under ML, we would bring in new guys and let them play up to a media timeout (maybe 4 minutes or so) and then bring back a well-defined rotation. This leads to the question - who should be in the 'well-defined rotation' if we were to play that way?

I don't see either Jamison or Maceo's minutes go down entering conference play as they figure to be the two guys who can make threes at (hopefully) a decent clip moving forward. I wonder what the stats look like in terms of how many minutes they have played together - playing only one at a time makes it easier for defenses to key in one guy who is a known threat. Much like Sloan his freshman year, neither contributes much apart from their designated catch and shoot roles (Jamison has shown to be a bit better on the rebounding front early on though).

AT of course starts if he's healthy, if he's out then Javier steps into the starting lineup. Playing both together is poor for spacing, so probably not the best strategy under JC's bomb from 3 scheme. Do they split up the minutes, does AT see 3/4 of them? JC said during postgame that he doesn't think AT's injury to be serious (thankfully) and that he's day-to-day, but does his minutes go down a bit to keep him healthy? Maybe a separate discussion. Ace can eat up some minutes in the first half, but probably doesn't see much in the second half unless we are in need of guys up front. Or could Chase could suddenly suit up and lead the A10 in minutes played? (joking about the last one, but honestly not outlandish given how crazy the rotations have looked so far) 

That leaves the point and 4 positions. Jameer probably continues to start at point, but what to do at 4? The reason Mezie has been starting (up until today - another head-scratching moment) is that he probably gives the team the best chance of spacing out the floor. However, the limitation here is that Mezie does not have three point range, so our spacing is still somewhat compromised. Amir's arrival makes this more confusing as well. He didn't take a single three at Nebraska, but could he play point forward given his unique size? He also seems to have an injury history so his minutes will have to be capped as well.

We then have Justin and Armel, who both seem to be better options at point than anywhere else. JC tried Justin off the ball in game 1, and that went poorly. I still think we are better served having them split minutes with JNJ off the ball, which may lead to more highlight plays like that Armel to JNJ play we saw in the game. That could also just as easily be Justin to JNJ, as Mazzulla has shown to cut down on his turnovers. In crunch time, Justin's defensive ability gives him the nod over Armel. 

That leaves Juice and Shawn. While I do think Shawn needs to add some strength, I was pleasantly surprised by his first game. He gave us many of the grit plays that we are used to seeing from Juice. That is not to say that Juice should ride the pine though. As I have said in the recaps, I just haven't seen Juice play down low. While that might not work for long stretches, I think that is something we could try moving forward. He does have three point range, although that stroke is a bit funky. The lack of a good stretch 4 is part of what is hurting this offense. Still hoping Javier can make his threes, but there is no proof he can yet.

So I'll say start something like Armel, JNJ, Maceo, Juice, and AT. In crunch time, replace Armel with Justin. Jamison is the sixth man and replaces Juice in crunch time. Javier replaces AT for stretches. Ace sees some action in the first half to spell AT/Javier. Mezie replaces Juice for stretches, just don't think he has enough yet to bring something during crunch time (although his defense is promising).

Shawn seems like the odd man out, but I don't know that he has a well "defined" enough role to get minutes as we shorten rotations. If Chase gets back healthy and can make threes (he did show he could in Kenner) maybe he takes some of Javier/Juice's minutes. If Amir returns healthy, he replaces either Armel or Juice in the starting lineup. But again, this is going under the expectation that we play that many guys. Does the rotation shorten to 7-8 guys during conference play? This leads me to:

2) the lack of identity. This team could play more guys if we develop more of an identity with pressure defense. For all the 'Mayhem' talks, the defense has been almost as baffling as the rotations. The few times we've trapped we haven't looked half bad. Do we apply more full court pressure? Can we increase our ball pressure along the perimeter? We look timid and unprepared on that end. Do we shift to zone more to prevent guards from driving to the hoop? This might hurt our chances of pulling down a rebound and running. Offensively, we have enough guards and athleticism to probably push a bit more that would help the offense out a lot. We tend to be stagnant on offense playing in the halfcourt, much like last year. Siena with Pickett at point was simply much better about not turning the ball over, but they also weren't overly athletic so playing slow made sense. JNJ has the edge in athleticism, but is not as sound with hanging on to the ball. I do think we are better served pushing off a miss (since this team can't generate turnovers) which may give us threes in transition as well. But all this starts with the defense. I wasn't that surprised that Morgan State dominated the glass tonight given their identity, but also because JC's teams have historically been terrible in defensive rebounding. AT has disguised that somewhat given his elite rebounding ability. JC has said he wants to play through the post more, but right now AT and Javier have served as garbage collectors on offense to salvage missed shots (moreso AT than Javier). The times our guards have tried to feed our bigs, we have turned the ball over more often than not. Can we establish the post more? Simply gunning from 3, not making them, and spacing the floor poorly, while being stagnant in the halfcourt doesn't strike me as a clear identity. Additionally, it's not a winning strategy for consistent success - when the threes don't fall, it's essential to get to the hoop, draw fouls, and get to the line to get some points up on the board. JC's strategy means fewer trips to the line. This team looks lethargic and needs to show more energy on the court which has been missing as well. 

Last edited by dmvpiranha (11/16/2019 11:22 pm)

11/16/2019 11:25 pm  #7

I’ve been impressed by JC as a team leader, I believe in his basketball philosophy, and he obviously has a great track record of success. I don’t mean to gripe about coaching decisions. At the same time, Walker and Battle playing every minute of the first half  just doesn’t sit right with me. Get them minutes, for sure. Build for the future by getting the youngsters some experience, I’m with that. GW needed to win this game, though. HBCU Gameday is calling this “one of the biggest wins in program history” for MSU, and we just handed it to them. I hope that we put a more honest effort the rest of the season.

11/16/2019 11:42 pm  #8

Shawn Walker looked to me (it was just one game) like Javi year 1, a guy who down the road could be useful but probably shouldn't be getting big minutes on a A10 team.  Watching his first couple of minutes I thought "oh I see why he had 3 straight DNPs" and then we saw him play the entire half and 35 minutes in the game. Clearly since he started, that was for some reason the game plan.  
I'm more of a bull of on JNJr, I can live with growing pains, I like what we're seeing there (100% though, a work in progress) but I feel his TO stats are a little worse looking than reality.  
We've seen Mazz playing 33 capable minutes a night as the PG in A10 action, he's not great but he's better than a lot of what we saw today, its hard to understand his minutes being cut back so severely.  He's got poise, and experience two things severely lacking out there today. If Juice is getting this much run because he plays hard, I don't see why Mazz isn't.
Speaking of, Morgan St played a lot harder than we did.  I can tolerate a really bad team, not the half effort, guys not in defensive stances, guys not playing defense with much heart etc.  This team has basically no one good enough to coast out there.  I've been one of the few Potter fans but he in particular looked lackluster in his effort on D.  Never see that one play from Mazz.   Maceo played with a little passion, but mostly it looked like guys playing pick up.  
Did we play any zone at all? that team couldn't shoot and we have Javi the long big with AT out in serious foul trouble, maybe some zone was in order.  
Jamison. I like his game, his feet aren't that quick so his defensive skills I believe may always be limited and some of his offense but he has size and a great looking stroke.

Lastly, don't get me wrong I think the primary issue is the skill of the personnel, not the rotation or PT, but it has been the oddest I can recall seeing.  Did anyone expect to see a struggling Shawn Walker get 35 minutes in game 4, the first minutes of his collegiate career?

11/17/2019 12:30 am  #9

The playing time decisions were surprising today.  I enjoyed getting a long look at Walker, though was surprised at Mazz’s lack of playing time in the second half (and I see this as someone is more negative about mazz than most on this board). 

I do trust JC’s track record, but I would sure love to hear or read an interview about what he’s doing or trying to do with these playing time decisions. 

Also, for what it’s worth, we win this game with Toro. We were outrebounding them 3-1 or 4-1 when Toro got hurt.  Got dominated on the boards by 20 after that and there was no one to get a rebound in key moments.

11/17/2019 8:52 am  #10

Posted this in another thread, In light of Mazz and Mezie playing time, or lack of it, perhaps JC is laying the groundwork for MoJo's guys to transfer and bringing in more of his own guys.

11/17/2019 11:40 am  #11

Sounds like a terrible idea if that's the reason.

11/17/2019 10:34 pm  #12

Mike K wrote:

Posted this in another thread, In light of Mazz and Mezie playing time, or lack of it, perhaps JC is laying the groundwork for MoJo's guys to transfer and bringing in more of his own guys.

That seems highly unlikely.  He has a reputation as a player’s coach and I doubt he would ruin that reputation with passive aggressive games like that, especially this early in he season.

My guess he’s giving guys long run to see what he has. Mezzie was a role player off the bench until game 2 and 3 when he suddenly started and played tons of minutes, so maybe now he’s just trying to see what he has in Walker, especially after Mezzie gave up the game winner (without fouling) vs AU? 

Still trust thus successful coach to figure it out but it’s times like this when I wish we had actual beat reporters to report on stuff like this.

11/18/2019 5:44 am  #13

I agree, Free.  I wouldn't read too much into the rotations being used by the coach.  It appears that he is just trying to figure out who he has, irrespective of the results on the court.  This still doesn't ease the pain of losing to a team like Morgan State at home, as any five players we put out there should have been able to beat a 300 team at home.   Interesting comment also Free about the lack of beat reporters.  I hadn't thought of that, but there is really nobody out there to give critical, objective analysis of the team, as all we really hear from are the shills that broadcast the game as well as the participants on this board who, while many are extremely knowledgeable, are still hardly objective due to their rooting interest in the team.

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (11/18/2019 5:45 am)

11/18/2019 8:58 am  #14

I definitely don't think JC is trying to force them out. JC actually offered Mezie his first scholarship in D1 while still at MSM so he has more familiarity with Mezie than most on the team, so I'm sure the trust is there - especially since Mezie has started three games already this season. Justin isn't being forced out either, but like I said in the recap, it looked like he yelled at Mazzulla when he went out in the first half and he didn't return after that. Won't read too much into it because it's probably just a missed assignment or something. Agree with FQ that he is still very much just playing around with rotations.

It's fine that JC rewarded Shawn with a start if he had a good couple weeks of practice. Let him see extended time in the first half. However, I think after halftime it probably made sense to go back to the guys who will likely see more time when the rotations tighten, especially during crunch time. Down the stretch I think we made a few mistakes:

1) JC didn't call a timeout until we got down 10. I think he's done a good job on that front so far, but he waited too long at that point, especially how late in the game it happened.

2) There was enough time left on the clock for us to get to the hoop and then foul Morgan State to extend the game at least one more possession. The Bears were shooting FTs well, but came in 55%. If they make both, it's still a three point game. If they make neither or just one, that's less pressure on the team to make a three (and this team is only shooting 27% so far from deep - 292nd nationally). 

3) I actually thought we drew up a well designed play to go for the three out of the timeout, but as mentioned previously Shawn taking the shot (even being on the floor) was definitely questionable. We needed to find a way to free Jamison or Maceo. I would have even preferred JNJ to take it. He's been bad on threes to begin the year, but after his layup late in the game against American, I feel like he's more trustworthy to take the shot if Jamison or Maceo can't get open late in the game. We could have had Justin or Mezie come into the game, but I'm not sure I'd be confident having them take that shot either.  

But yeah, it definitely seemed at times that we weren't actually trying to win the game which was confusing.

11/18/2019 12:23 pm  #15

This loss had a lot of unusual elements to it starting with the fact that AT was lost to an injury so early in the game.  Maybe it would have been part of MSU's gameplan all along but they clearly took advantage of AT's absence by penetrating past our guards without feeling overly concerned about Javy down low.  They also looked like a much hungrier team than GW did as evidenced by their hustle and scrappiness.  

It is also worth pointing out many of the players we are playing right now are essentially one-dimensional players.  Jack and Battle are designated shooter types who are needed in this offense.  Potter ran the offense rather well but has to be regarded as a defensive liability.  Justin M. may have been more effective at limiting MSU's drives to the basket but you are giving up something on the offensive end by playing him.  It's difficult to know even after an extended look what this team has in Shawn but setting up a play for him to take a potential game-tying three is a major head-scratcher.  (I'm sure MSU would never be expecting that but the airball was evidence that this may have been a case of overthinking.)  

Someone's minutes had to be sacrificed to pave the way to play as much as Shawn and Armel did and in this case, it was Justin M.'s and Mezie's.  Justin was more of the mystery to me because he really could have helped defensively.  Am not sure what Mezie has brought to the table thus far to be incensed that his playing time was severely reduced.

A healthy Amir and AT will help alleviate some of these rotation issues.  Both are multi-faceted players who will help at both ends.  I also would not necessarily dismiss Chase Paar as well as since he definitely has the potential for being a more-than-capable stretch 4 for this team.

Make no mistake about the fact that this was a painful and humiliating loss.  If you think that these two teams are close to one another in talent level based on computer models or whatever really has no idea how to conduct an eye test.  Right now, we are playing confused and with zero confidence.  And, we are not nearly hungry enough.  None of this speaks to talent.  To offer perspective, GW was a 9 or 9 1/2 point favorite in this game.  In what some call the most shocking upset in the history of the NCAA Championship game, Villanova was an 8 1/2 point underdog to Georgetown in 1985.  And in 1994, UCONN was a 9 1/2 point dog to Duke before winning the championship.  Yes, losing as a 9 point favorite on your home court, that's a big upset, computer models be damned.

11/18/2019 1:12 pm  #16

Relax. Take a deep breath everyone. There is lots going on under the surface. You see only the tip of the iceberg on gameday.

We were a 9 win team a year ago and lost 2 of our top 3 scorers. The cupboard is largely bare as far as established go to guys. The players at several spots are also largely equal so he is likely trying different rotations early to figure out what he has and does not have. Expect this to continue until we establish a clear 5 that work well together and a regular rotation of subs. Some are better matchups for certain games. I like that competition for playing time means you need to bring it every night.

I could care less about wins and losses this year. I also don't buy the humiliating loss. We are clearly rebuilding and this is what happens when you are rebuilding out of a very deep hole. Would you really feel that much better if we had scored 7 more points over 2 games and stood at 3-1 versus 1-3? Would we really be that different of a team or would be that much farther along on the path to recovery as a program? This season is more about establishing program culture and finding out who can help and who can't.

I want JC to get this right for the long haul and if he has to experiment early, I am not at all worried about that 4 games in.

11/18/2019 1:57 pm  #17

I wouldn't say that I am worried 4 games in, considering I was one of the few on the old board to give Mojo a fairly long leash, but I guess what is disappointing is that some of us expected an improvement in our in-game strategy now that we had an experienced coach.  Mojo basically ran a crappier version of ML's offensive strategy and without ML's ability to micro-manage the play on the court.  It was painful to watch guys just stand around and waste the shot clock.  So far, that pain has not really gone away. 

Watching some of JC's MSM highlights I knew that his offense was never going to be so formulaic as ML's was, but I guess after the last 3 years, it is a tough pill to swallow to watch us miss so many contested 3's and go on 4-5 minute scoreless stretches. This is in conjunction with JC's hesitation to instill any semblance of his "mayhem" defense yet so far.  A lot of MSM's points came off of turnovers and so far we have been very conservative on full court pressure and do not yet have the athleticism to keep up with people one-on-one. Even if we lose, it would be nice to see us pick up the intensity on defense.  Morgan State clearly out-hustled us that entire game.

I will remain patient as always by looking at the results of ML's first season in 11-12 (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/george-washington/2012-schedule.html) and seeing so many losses to crappy teams.  It takes time for a coach in install a whole new offensive and defensive scheme and to recruit players who fit into that scheme.  But like I said earlier, after patiently watching this team under Mojo for the last 3 years, I seemed to have foolishly bought into the "quick turnaround" when in reality it will take much longer for things to start trending upwards.

Last edited by GW0509 (11/18/2019 2:05 pm)

11/18/2019 2:27 pm  #18

SMH over not caring about wins and losses this year.  Agreed that there's no real point in hanging on the edge of your seat, worrying about how our team metrics compare to bubble teams.  However, this is basketball, they keep score for a reason, and wins and losses always matter, even if they may carry greater significance in some years versus others.  Would I feel better if this team was 3-1 having scored 7 more points?  No-brainer.  Of course I would.  At least we would see that the team, both the players and the coaching staff, kept their poise and came through in clutch situations.  

If losing consecutive home games to AU and Morgan State isn't humiliating, then this team is simply incapable of being humiliated.  I would also de-emphasize the "we lost our top two scorers from last year" excuse.  Sadly, DJ was not a team player and Terry regressed from year 1 to year 2 to become a somewhat misguided player, content to work on his 23 foot jump shots each game.  Losing two guys who missed a lot of important shots should not exactly be insurmountable.

One more point, home wins against AU and Morgan State would not have exactly constituted a quick turnaround in my book.  These are simply two teams that GW should have beaten at home no matter the rotations or injuries.  I don't look at this as my being unfairly harsh.

11/18/2019 2:45 pm  #19

Two points that need to be repeated early and often.

1. Why do you think we have a new coach? Why do you think we won 9 games last year which represented a steady trending decline? In the answers, you will understand that we are not so much better than AU or Morgan State talent wise that we can just show up and win. If you can't make shots (and we didn't) and you lose your best player (Toro) in one of those games, you get the result we got. Pretty simple. The talent gap is not great.

2. Perhaps some history is in order. No coach in the modern era (Jarvis to present) inherited a team that won less than 10 games the year before. Jarvis, Hobbs and Lonergan all inherited better situations. So we are starting from way behind. I would also point out that in Lonergan's 2nd year we lost to Youngstown State and Mount St. Mary's in the first few games. Pretty similar to AU and Morgan State. The next year we were in the NCAAs. I'm not predicting that here but it does add some perspective.

11/18/2019 2:50 pm  #20

Gwmayhem wrote:

Would I feel better if this team was 3-1 having scored 7 more points?  No-brainer.  Of course I would.  At least we would see that the team, both the players and the coaching staff, kept their poise and came through in clutch situations.  

There are two sides to this. 

Winning begets winning.  Simply put, building up confidence in a weak OOC may get the team to gel faster and outperform expectations. 

On the other hand, Fordham entered conference play last year 9-4 after a schedule of low level MAAC and SWAC schools and then preceded to go 3-15 (though it did include a home win against us ugh).  In that case, winning against cupcakes did nothing for them in the grand scheme of things once conference play started.

I think I fall on the side of GWmayhem that if we are scheduling low level D1 opponents in the non-conference then we need to be beating them.  If results don't matter, we should've just been cannon fodder for P5 schools and try to make a little cash playing away games.

Board footera