GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/19/2019 2:10 pm  #1

GW vs UMKC Game Thread

Next up UMKC.
ESPN Power Index puts as 56% favorites, such is life until we prove we're better. 
 They actually won their last game 111-38, how bad was their opponent???
5pm Tip-Off.

Thoughts on this upcoming game? 

11/19/2019 6:37 pm  #2

Re: GW vs UMKC Game Thread

The Dude wrote:

Next up UMKC.
ESPN Power Index puts as 56% favorites, such is life until we prove we're better. 
 They actually won their last game 111-38, how bad was their opponent???

UMKC’s last opponent was Bacone, an 0-6 NAIA DII team whose closest game so far this season was a 19 point loss. Obviously, the outcome doesn’t indicate anything about how UMKC will perform against GW.

11/19/2019 8:06 pm  #3

Bacone! they are scheduling like a Boeheim I see.
Our guys have touched down!     

11/19/2019 8:43 pm  #4

Where's Justin?

11/19/2019 9:51 pm  #5

Jeepers that place looks gaudy. Let´s hope this trip is a good teambuilding exercise and not just a lesson in tacky interior decorating...

11/19/2019 9:53 pm  #6

dmvpiranha wrote:

Where's Justin?

Heard he's not there. More to follow as to why once I confirm some source reporting because I don't want to say anything prematurely or inaccurately.. 

Last edited by GWRising (11/19/2019 9:56 pm)

11/19/2019 10:34 pm  #7

Sounds like what you were hinting at earlier.
Be disturbing because Mazz sure seemed to have a good attitude, even on the bench.

11/19/2019 10:38 pm  #8

That is one gaudy lobby! looks like the Caesars Palace lobby!

11/20/2019 7:21 am  #9

Yep, another after practice pic: no Mazzula.

11/20/2019 7:24 am  #10

Thanks for checking GWRising! Terry seemed to weigh in as well on instagram. He could be just standing up for his friend but something just doesn't feel right...

tnojr No Mazzulla?? Hmm .. Program sucks.

On his insta story, Justin posted a quote that says "Without rain nothing grows. Learn to embrace the storms of your life." I don't know. This just doesn't strike me as something minor. Even if injury-related, both Amir and Chase are there. Like I said, I thought I saw JC yelling at him when going out of the game against Morgan State but didn't initially think too much. Hope it's nothing too serious.

Last edited by dmvpiranha (11/20/2019 7:29 am)

11/20/2019 9:29 am  #11

I imagine he's transferring. Him and Maceo are best friends...I hope that doesn't start another exodus from the program

11/20/2019 10:00 am  #12

Here is what I have learned. Mazzulla is not in the Bahamas and apparently is no longer a member of the men's basketball program. As for the specific reasons, I don't have any at this point. Probably best not to speculate but I don't have any indication that this involved any non-basketball related activity or conduct. I would avoid reading into any Instagram posts by players. I am sure there are reasons for this, whether it was Mazzulla's decision (to leave the program) or JC's decision (to remove him) ... I just don't know them yet. We will have to wait for GW to make a statement because I am sure someone is going to inquire soon.

11/20/2019 12:28 pm  #13

The official site still lists Mazzulla on the roster. He is also one of the few players not named in the Athletic Department´s report from Bahamas published today on the official site.

11/20/2019 2:58 pm  #14

If true, this is unfortunate timing but somewhat understandable.  Justin's minutes just went appreciably down against MSU and with Amir joining the team soon, it stands to reason  that he is not likely to receive the playing time he would like or perhaps feels he deserves.  The coaching staff wants to play guys who are three point threats and if this isn't a big part of your game (AT, Amir), then you'll need to be exceptional at other phases.  If nothing has been announced, it is possible that JC kept him home and asked him to give it a lot of thought.  I do not see why JC would run him off but I can see why Justin might want to consider his options for playing at a different program.  Ironically, Justin was 4-4 from the field, including 2-2 from 3, in his second-to-last game against AU.  Wish him the best if he is in fact off of the team.  

11/20/2019 5:00 pm  #15

Folks, this is obviously big news, regardless of the how and why of whatever is coming down the pike.  I'm going to ask that any further discussion re: Justin Mazzulla be done in the post that JF started.  Please leave this discussion for the upcoming game.  This will allow infrequent board users, who may not know to look in this UMKC post, to learn the news more easily.

Thanks.

Barry

11/20/2019 7:39 pm  #16

UMKC Kangaroos

Date/Time: Friday November 22nd @ 5:00 PM EST at the Kendal Isaacs National Gymnasium in Nassau, Bahamas.
Record Last Year: 11-21, 6-10 (T-7th in WAC)
Preseason Ranks: 230th (KenPom), 224th (Bart Torvik), 274th (Sports Illustrated), 289th (CBS)
Projected Record: 12-17, 7-9 (6th in WAC)
Postseason Last Year: None.
Coaching Record: Billy Donlon, 1st year at UMKC. Previously went 109-94 in 6 seasons at Wright State, including a CBI and CIT appearance.

All Time Record: First time ever playing UMKC. Given their run of mediocrity, not surprised it wasn't the first team that came to mind playing when putting together an OOC schedule.

Offensive Efficiency: 280th (KenPom), 249th (Bart Torvik)
Defensive Efficiency: 203rd (KenPom), 254th (Bart Torvik)
Tempo: 339th (KenPom), 310th (Bart Torvik)

Key Returning Players:
Rob Whitfield (SR; Raleigh, NC) 11 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 1.7 apg; 41% FG, 42% 3-pt, 87% FT
Brandon McKissic (JR; St. Louis, MO) 10.8 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 2 apg; 46% FG, 35% 3-pt, 57% FT
Jordan Giles (SR; Tuscaloosa, AL) 8.4 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 1.3 apg; 48% FG, 30% 3-pt, 74% FT

Key Losses:
Xavier Bishop (Transferred to Montana State; Springfield, IL) 15.4 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 3.8 apg; 43% FG, 35% 3-pt, 80% FT
Danny Dixon (Transferred to NC State; Grosse Point Park, MI) 7.5 ppg, 3.6 rpg; 45% FG, 47% 3-pt, 72% FT
Jamel Allen (Transferred to D2 Southern New Hampshire; Brentwood, NY) 7 ppg, 3.4 rpg; 39% FG, 31% 3-pt, 63% FT

Comments:
After a very tumultuous offseason that saw as many as 11 players enter their name in the transfer portal, new UMKC head honcho Billy Donlon deserves a ton of credit for being able to retool the roster and bring some talented newcomers into the fold. UMKC's issues go beyond just their basketball team - they play in the WAC, the most geographically dispersed conference in the country (that isn't off to the best start so far - Seattle has underwhelmed, Grand Canyon hasn't been able to win consistently despite the talent they bring in, and even powerhouse New Mexico State has been crushed a couple times so far - at least Utah Valley gave Kentucky quite the fight the other night I guess). Financially, it is very tough to travel in conference that is based pretty much out west - Chicago State is UMKC's closest conference "rival" (in location and probably competitiveness as well) and even the Cougars are situated over 500 miles from Kansas City. I guess in a way the long trip to Nassau (1,395 miles) isn't going to affect them as much as the average team because of this. Thankfully, the 'Roos came to their senses and finally decided that it makes way more sense from a traveling standpoint to move back to the Summit, a conference they were members of for 19 years between 1994-2013. The official move won't take place until 2020, so they will spend another year in the WAC that's pretty much once again all about New Mexico State.

A slight improvement is to be expected, but I'd be surprised if UMKC finished any higher than 6th with all the new pieces coming in. Having said that, there is still talent to be found on the roster. Rob Whitfield, who came over from D2 Queens (NC) and JUCO ranks, is a sharpshooter who made 42% of his team-high 201 three point attempts although he has struggled to begin the year. Brandon McKissic was a relatively well-regarded 3-star prospect coming out of high school who had pretty decent shooting percentages across the board minus the free throw line (where he seems to have improved thus far), and also serves as a lockdown defender, making the All-WAC defensive squad last season. Jordan Giles served as a glue guy in the past, but as a senior, can provide veteran leadership to a team that's currently transitioning (much like us). Marvin Nesbitt Jr. likely steps into the starting lineup after serving as sixth man last year. Nesbitt is off to a great start shooting the ball and also serves as one of UMKC's best defenders with his length. 

Every other player remains a question mark, however. Xavier Bishop departed for Bozeman, and his 4 assists per game will have to be replaced by committee. It is worth noting that Donlon was active on the transfer market (partially out of necessity) nabbing Jahshire Hardnett, who started his career at Fordham, headed west to BYU before settling in the middle of the country. He averaged 9.7 ppg in the WCC, and should be able to put up double figures fairly easily in the WAC. Hardnett will likely take the reigns as the lead ball handler for UMKC this season. Javan White is a fifth year senior who comes to Kansas City after spending time at Oral Roberts and Clemson and will be the team's primary rim protector. White didn't get the minutes he was expecting at Clemson, but put up 10.2 ppg in 2017-18 at ORU and is a good rebounder. He will get the chance to play a ton at UMKC as the Kangaroos have pretty much a non-existent frontcourt otherwise (Giles will probably see time up front, although he is more of a wing).

It appears Donlon has been playing around with rotations much like us. UMKC has played 12 guys in 4 of their 5 contests so far this year, 11 who have played 10+ minutes on average. The other guys in the rotation include freshman forward Josiah Allick, D2 Wheeling transfer Franck Kamgain, Slovenian freshman Maks Klanjscek (who I think JC may have recruited at Siena), Bethune-Cookman transfer Brandon Suggs, former JUCO junior guard Zion Williams, and walk-on guard Steve Dulley. Allick and Kamgain prefer to get their points near the hoop, as they have struggled from deep so far. Klanjscek however will be one to monitor from deep as he is third on the team in makes after McKissic and Whitfield. Suggs will provide energy off the pine up front. Williams and Dulley don't figure to make a big impact but will eat up minutes at the guard position - Williams in particular is again more of a defensive player.

As one would figure given the number of potential defensive-minded players on the team, expect Donlon to emphasize the defensive end. His best Wright State teams were historically very good on that end (a couple were top 50 in defensive efficiency). UMKC is very similar to us so far this season, from the offense to defense to overall rankings (we sit just a few spots apart within the top 250 in KenPom). They play a slow pace so hopefully we try to speed things up a bit and get them rattled, although one of their strengths is transition defense. The Kangaroos tend to clog the paint, so if there was ever a time for the threes to start falling, Friday would be a good time. Having AT back would be huge, because as it is, UMKC doesn't tend to battle on the offensive glass too much, so unlike Morgan State, we could force them into one and done possessions if we can prevent them from getting high quality shots.

Predicted Score: GW 66, UMKC 64. 62% chance to win (Bart Torvik). ESPN says we have a 55.9% chance to win. Hoping for an improved product on the court with better shooting.

11/20/2019 9:17 pm  #17

DMV, your knowledge and insight is simply outstanding.  Thanks as always!

Barry

11/21/2019 12:01 am  #18

I second Barry's thoughts about DMV's posts!

11/21/2019 8:51 am  #19

Thanks for reading Barry and Dude! Admittedly, I was responsible for this thread going off the rails somewhat, so it's only right I get it back on track!

11/21/2019 5:33 pm  #20

Lol.
Well, mystery solved!
I'd bring back my Predictions feature for each game thread, from past years, but maybe I'll wait until our play picks up a little!  

Board footera