GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/20/2019 4:30 pm  #1

Justin Mazzulla

Think pretty apparent Mazz departure is big enough to deserve its own thread.
 This one really hurts. Shandon Brown, Ok, not sure he's ready. Littles a bit of a different story in terms of
potential and can't teach size, but hey, Marcus came here out of shape and neither  of them was a real contributor here. Both not having the chance to show what they can-- or can't--do can be laid at the feet of Mojo.
    DJ would be pretty good if he kept his 3 point shot up  in a system that doesn't demand rebounds or team play, but we might have wanted someone who could pass the ball and at least pretend to play defense all the time. Losing DJ for team morale and ball flow is probably worth the short term loss for team development.
   Terry, real good  and smart kid with real talent, though maybe regressed as a sophomore. But sulky on the court when things didn't go his way. So Terry could be managed, but maybe couldn't overcome his own situation under Mojo. Still that patented JC inspiration that we heard about could have changed him over time. So running off Terry or causing Terry to run himself off, could go either way. 
  Now Mazz, to our eyes, is a different deal. Mazz earned his playing time under Mojo, not that there was huge competition, the second and third years. He seems obviously like a good kid and a real team player. Played with heart, along with  Juice, when not everyone else did--including this year. Almost saved our bacon against AU (what a pathetic situation to be in).
   This probably has been brewing for awhile and Mazz's role seemed quite limited when we inexplicably (and to our eyes) stupidly was totally supplanted by throwing in Shawn in his first real significant college game experience.
And saw Mazz spiritedly cheering on his teammates even when he was oddly and seeming rudely sidelined on Saturday, following a good and restrained performance the previous game.
   Now, don't know if he threatened to burn JC's house down or something during that exchange which someone here caught and was astute enough to report. But unless he was caught with gasoline and matches, this really seems shortsighted. And on the face of it, unfair,
   You never know with college kids, though they are adults responsible for their behavior, and Mazz was indeed spirited in calling out his teammates on the court. So maybe its Mazz and selfishly want it to be him, not JC. But this disappearance feels different than the others.
  There better be a good reason or Mazz's choice (without being totally sidelined). 
Don't want to win bad enough to run people off early season or midseason. And we aren't winning, anyway.
So, there needs to be some explanation, even if unofficial, as it would seem this leads to sucking even more this year. Don't mind sucking, though not at the Morgan State or even AU loss at home level. 
  Do mind bizarre turmoil. We've had enough crap going into our fourth season. This drama is not good. It is troublesome and we were hoping for a fresh start without burning the house down.
 So we still can support JC despite the missteps on (and now off) the court, but officially or more likely unofficially, there's a line from I Love Lucy currently imbued in popular culture that covers what needs to be done in this situation.

11/20/2019 4:56 pm  #2

Re: Justin Mazzulla

I would implore folks to hold off on this conversation until something is official. As long as there's nothing official from the team, or even something more than a vague instagram post from Justin himself, don't think it's worth going down this road.

11/20/2019 5:02 pm  #3

Hugh, agreed, if we can stop ourselves from overspeculation.

Regardless, for anyone seeing this discussion and not knowing what is going on, it appears Justin Mazzulla is not on the trip and his team status is in question.  There are about 10 posts about this in the discussion on the UMKC game.

Thanks,

Barry

11/20/2019 5:44 pm  #4

I would again urge caution in speculating. As I mentioned, I was aware of this through a source who I can't burn. My source was spot on. I don't believe this was a rash decision or result but had been building for a period of time. I frankly don't think JC does anything that is impulsive. He is very thoughtful and analytic and I am told willing to always hear out both sides. I am aware of the reasons but since I cannot independently verify them either through JC or Mazzulla, I will not post them here.

I also presume that JC would have to go through AD to make this happen if Mazzulla was removed from the team. That is standard protocol in any athletic department. I bring this up because it would mean that JC did not take this action alone or without consultation and if this is permanent, he would appear to have the full backing of the administration.

All that aside, transition is often difficult for all involved and we are in a transition year. Some players did not sign up to play for JC while others did. Some players deal with transition better than others and some new coaches deal with returning players better than others. It is often an awkward relationship as everyone is trying to determine where they fit. Add a little adversity to the mix (a few early losses or lack of playing time) and it all becomes a wildcard sometimes.

I personally feel bad that this apparently didn't workout for whatever reason but JC needs to have the players that are invested in his program and Mazzulla needs to feel invested in JC's program. If either of those conditions aren't the case no matter the cause, then it's probably best that both parties part ways and move on.

If Mazzulla has indeed been permanently removed from the team, I wish him well. 

11/20/2019 6:20 pm  #5

It does seem a tad on the odd side. Normally this happens at the end of the year, or at least end of the semester.
Only seeming plus side, absent a reason, is that Mazz may now be able to spend Thanksgiving with his family.

11/20/2019 11:44 pm  #6

Assuming that Mazzulla is no longer on the team, will the fact that he played only 4 games this season allow him to redshirt this season and allow him to be eligible to play as a transfer next season?

11/20/2019 11:52 pm  #7

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

Assuming that Mazzulla is no longer on the team, will the fact that he played only 4 games this season allow him to redshirt this season and allow him to be eligible to play as a transfer next season?

No unless he suffered a season-ending injury in which case he could apply for a medical redshirt. He would otherwise have 1.5 years of eligibility.

11/21/2019 7:18 am  #8

Charley Neisner‏ @charleyneisner 6h
George Washington guard & Bishop Hendricken High School alum, Justin Mazzulla is leaving the program.

11/21/2019 8:25 am  #9

Sorry this sucks no ifs and or buts. Justin played the hardest, most consistently and was the most engaged last year. I think he is the best defender they have if they are not going to play zone.

Guys leaving mid season is not good. This program needs healing. This trashes my hope that JC would coach to the talent he has.

I’m not saying JC is a bad guy, but I was hoping for a little bit of lMr. Rodgers this year who’d produce a positive surprise

11/21/2019 9:07 am  #10

Assuming the tweet is considered official (Verbal Commits seems to have also updated):

I want to say the issue was playing time (and not the random rotations thus far). Justin led the team in minutes last year, and playing time down the road with Amir returning (and then Lincoln and Tyler entering the fold the following year) meant he wasn't going to see anywhere close to the minutes he saw last year. However, whatever the actual reason is, it's hard not to think of this as troubling given the positive message JC is trying to put forth.

Justin wasn't just a leader on the court, but off the court as well. He was a good student, and I believe was GW basketball's representative at the A10 mbb summit last year. In addition, Mazzulla was a member of the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC). He volunteered for fundraising campaigns to benefit homeless shelters and food banks (not sure how many guys on the team have done that). I talked to him briefly at the open practice, and he is by all accounts a good kid and representative of what we want a GW basketball player to be, even if he did have certain limitations on the court. He was one of the guys you could count on to bring energy - which this team is lacking right now for sure.

The other thing to mention is his relationship with Maceo (as MG'14 pointed out in the UMKC thread). Those who attended the Howard game saw "the best friends challenge" that featured Justin and Maceo. At one point I think one of them said something like "Wherever one goes, the other comes along. We are always together. We are never apart." It was honestly for lack of a better word, adorable. Losing those strong bonds can affect performance. JC has mentioned "player relationships" several times in interviews, and he clearly knows the bond between Justin and Maceo. I can't imagine how Maceo feels right now.

There's not really a positive way to spin this. You could say we have freed up a scholarship for AT now if he decides to come back next year, but it's wrong to think about that right now. Wish Justin nothing but the best and it appears rebuilding this mess is going to take a bit longer.

11/21/2019 9:18 am  #11

I think what is interesting about the whole situation is it seems to mirror what JC says he went through his senior season in 03-04 after Phelan retired and Milan Brown brought in more of "his guys."  JC went from playing 26 min a game to 3. He said that it was a very difficult time for him but that he used it to start learning about how to be a coach by sitting in on film sessions with the assistants.   If anyone would feel empathy for how Justin might be feeling it would be JC.

Hope that Justin finds a new situation that fits his life goals better and I certainly wish him well.  As has been mentioned, he and Juice were the two guys who seemingly always gave it 100% during last year's woeful season.

11/21/2019 9:40 am  #12

dmvpiranha wrote:

Assuming the tweet is considered official (Verbal Commits seems to have also updated):

Mazzulla is still listed on the roster on the official site. While the twatter post may be correct, it is not official.

Also, this is not "mid-season", this is early season. I find it very weird that he went through the coaching change, summer workouts, preseason and the first four games of the current season before this split. If new coaching regime and Mazzulla were a bad match, that should have been evident before tipoff of the Towson game.

11/21/2019 9:47 am  #13

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

Assuming this was Justin's decision, he would be eligible at the end of the first semester in 2020, assuming he finds a new school before the end of this semester.  In the unlikely event that it was JC's decision to remove him from the team, he could attempt to waive the sit-out year just like Amir did.

Insightful comparison GW0509.  I would agree that JC can empathize but at the same time, he must manage his team the way he sees fit.  If Justin had been this team's glue guy, my sense is that JC perceives Amir to be a more talented glue guy.  The way GW has been defending against penetration this season, I would see some value in playing Justin and Amir together.  On the other hand, that would mean playing two "non-three point shooters" at positions where JC really wants three point shooting.  So, I can understand the demotion even if it's happening to a first-class guy, and I can understand Justin's decision (I do assume it was Justin's decision to leave) due to his desire to play more after logging plenty of minutes his first two years.

Additionally, a very insightful point by dmvpiranha regarding Maceo.  Being a streaky shooter who has the potential to serve as a major sparkplug or a liability, Maceo's mindset and confidence are arguably more important to him than perhaps any other player.  It's very important that basketball remains fun to Maceo without Justin around.  Professionals have a responsibility to deal with these types of changes the right way but with college players, so much of this boils down to the individual.  It should be advantageous that Maceo comes from a coaching family.  They will hopefully help with instilling in Maceo the best possible mental framework moving forward.

11/21/2019 9:49 am  #14

I know GW fans are legendary for their ability to spin facts not yet in evidence but I would again caution commenting on whether or not this was the right move for either party What you all see is the tip of the iceberg. What goes on below the surface may have a significant impact in your thinking. As someone who had this story before anyone here, I can tell you it's a bit more complicated than some have suggested here and its quite possible to argue that this move was best for both parties - a "win-win" when considering long term impacts.

11/21/2019 9:49 am  #15

He also started and played 31 minutes in the opener. So a lot must've changed in the past two weeks. This is all really confusing to me.

11/21/2019 11:03 am  #16

GWRising, a quick point about human nature, which is not at all unique to GW fans.  People always want to learn more information about things that interest them.  And, if you come on here and say I have some information that is of interest but I can't go into any additional detail so as to not break a confidence, I believe everyone here understands that.  However, when you come onto a message board to relay this information and then go on to ask that we don't offer commentary about this news, even if some of this commentary can be categorized as speculation, then I think you're wasting your breath (or whatever the equivalent is when posting a message).  

Let's say I came on here and said that President Trump is about to be impeached and be forced to leave office, and this has nothing to do with Ukraine or Russia.  And, please don't speculate about why this is occurring because I am not at liberty to say.  Would you really expect everyone to stay silent?  Or, would you expect one person to suggest Stormy Daniels and another to suggest that his tax returns were leaked and another to think that it's due to the Emoulments clause and another to point at his foundation?  

It is human nature to speculate when only provided with part of a story.  Not just true of GW fans, essentially true of most everyone.

11/21/2019 11:45 am  #17

This stinks pure and simple.  He's the exact kind of kid you'd want anchoring your program.  Considering he's now a family friend to Maceo, I wouldn't be shocked if he's gone too.

Reevaluating.  Seems like I bought in to the hype.

11/21/2019 12:24 pm  #18

BM wrote:

This stinks pure and simple.  He's the exact kind of kid you'd want anchoring your program.  Considering he's now a family friend to Maceo, I wouldn't be shocked if he's gone too.

Reevaluating.  Seems like I bought in to the hype.

Agree with this. Don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but as a fan and an observer I'm growing wary of what JC is doing. You can put out all the PR you want glorifying yourself and the program, but something smells fishy about what's happening so far, from the seemingly random minutes being given, to JM leaving. This shouldn't be the type of program where someone who was voted captain by his teammates as a sophomore and made the all-academic team last year (our only all conference selection), should want to leave 4 games into the season.

11/21/2019 1:12 pm  #19

Jamion Christian has a pretty good track record at his two previous stops. I personally talked with 2 former players of his at Mount St. Mary’s who gave ringing unsolicited endorsements of him as a person and coach. I liked Justin but he made a decision to leave the program. The fact that he’s been recruited over and hasn’t played as much as he had in prior years certainly suggests a dissatisfaction with his situation. He’s decided to move on. Not jumping to any conclusion about the program’s direction under the new coach. We’ve expected improvements and I certainly believe we’ve seen it. Christian wasn’t hired for a miraculous 1 year turnaround but a long-term fix to the program. Way too premature and misguided to be worrying about the aroma in Denmark because a holdover upper classman recruited by the previous coaching staff has decided to leave GW.

11/21/2019 1:19 pm  #20

Gwmayhem wrote:

GWRising, a quick point about human nature, which is not at all unique to GW fans.  People always want to learn more information about things that interest them.  And, if you come on here and say I have some information that is of interest but I can't go into any additional detail so as to not break a confidence, I believe everyone here understands that.  However, when you come onto a message board to relay this information and then go on to ask that we don't offer commentary about this news, even if some of this commentary can be categorized as speculation, then I think you're wasting your breath (or whatever the equivalent is when posting a message).  

Let's say I came on here and said that President Trump is about to be impeached and be forced to leave office, and this has nothing to do with Ukraine or Russia.  And, please don't speculate about why this is occurring because I am not at liberty to say.  Would you really expect everyone to stay silent?  Or, would you expect one person to suggest Stormy Daniels and another to suggest that his tax returns were leaked and another to think that it's due to the Emoulments clause and another to point at his foundation?  

It is human nature to speculate when only provided with part of a story.  Not just true of GW fans, essentially true of most everyone.

Not expecting anyone to stay silent but expecting people to base their opinions on facts and not conjecture. So far there are zero facts out there other than Mazzulla has left the program. Don't know how anyone can have any opinion other than its too bad a situation resulted  in Mazzulla leaving the program or being asked to leave. I think you would agree the how and why are important. Yet we have posters here without knowledge of the how and why telling us things are "fishy" or they are now "wary" of JC. I don't know how you could be anything at this point. Maybe this is yet another example historically of why GW can't have nice things.

The funny thing that I learned long ago about sports is that if GW wins their next 5 games nobody will be giving this a second thought here while if GW loses its next 5 games, people here will say it's because Mazzulla left. That's the world we live in today. Sad but true.

Board footera