GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/20/2019 11:41 pm  #1

Maryland Game

Maryland 88  GW 54

As expected, a very tall, deep, and talented MD team pressed early and rattled the young Colonials early. Extremely pleased at how they competed after the first quarter. In the second quarter, they seemed to have solved the press and their offense started to flow a lot better. They actually got the lead down to 12 pts, when Luma went down and subsequently missed the rest of the game. From that point on, they were playing without Luma, as well as Zambrotta, Maund, and Loder (not sure why she wasn't there), but didn't back down and competed as hard as they could.
Some observations:

Blethen is a player. She looked extremely confident with her jump shot, and has great range.
Hyduke was stymied by the tall and long defenders, but she took a 6 good three pointers (making 4) and led the team in scoring. After the first quarter, she took good care of the ball.
MoKwuah played 18 minutes, and showed she could compete with Md's bigger players. She scored 10 points in the paint, and should have gotten some fouls that weren't called. When she wasn't double teamed, she flat out beat her defender.
Stepehenson and Taiwo were also contributors.
Gumbs was the recipient of a number of great passes, but missed every shot. She was 0-9. Mostly unnecessarily hurried shots. Would not have changed the outcome, but could have helped her confidence if she made some.

I found it odd for Md to be up by 30+ points, but still playing starters through the 4th quarter, but maybe point differential is important in rankings.

I liked this game, -- I can see improvement, and there were periods where it just seemed like our players knew they compete against a top notch team. It's going to be interesting to see how the chemistry is effected once some of the other players start coming back (no idea how long each is going to be out).

We play Georgetown on Sunday.

Last edited by xAC (11/21/2019 8:10 am)

11/21/2019 6:45 am  #2

Re: Maryland Game

I love their very tough OOC schedule, especially the amount on the road.  Should make them stronger in the conference.

11/21/2019 9:44 am  #3

This was never budgeted as a win, although there was a time when this game would have been a cakewalk for GW and not the other way around. I know, times change. Those evil ninnies from That School Down the Street will be a real test of where this team and program are; of course losing to those offenses to all that is decent and good in the world is not an acceptable outcome.

11/21/2019 11:12 am  #4

GW’s all-time record against Maryland women is now 1-8, the cake walks have all been against us. Our only win was in 1994 by 10 points; most of our losses were by 25+ points. It was clear from the start that Maryland was too long and talented for us to expect a win. It was a measurement game made problematic by the missing components of the team and the devastating 1st half injury suffered by Neila Luma. Team capably broke the MD press but still have issues with time clock awareness. Both GW teams are works in progress and require patience from fans and staff alike. There was no quit in the women’s team last night. Just a superior team occupying the home team’s side of the court.

11/21/2019 1:37 pm  #5

Poog wrote:

GW’s all-time record against Maryland women is now 1-8, the cake walks have all been against us. Our only win was in 1994 by 10 points; most of our losses were by 25+ points. It was clear from the start that Maryland was too long and talented for us to expect a win. It was a measurement game made problematic by the missing components of the team and the devastating 1st half injury suffered by Neila Luma. Team capably broke the MD press but still have issues with time clock awareness. Both GW teams are works in progress and require patience from fans and staff alike. There was no quit in the women’s team last night. Just a superior team occupying the home team’s side of the court.

I don't disagree with what you posted. But I do believe it is fair to point out context here. One program HC has had 4 games, the other is in 4th year. Not sure the patience should be identical but I hope that both get it right.

11/21/2019 2:20 pm  #6

Context understood. But only looking forward from last year and current rosters at this point.

Board footera