GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/22/2019 11:55 pm  #1

The Good and the Bad

Bare with me, I realize its tempting to say "what good??? all bad!"

The Good:  Jamison Battle 13 points 6 boards and 3 for 4 from 3.  5-7 from FG.
Armel Potter 19pts 6 assists and 5 boards
Mezie 5 minutes 4 points 
Maceo 14 points on 4-8 from 3 shooting

The Bad:
JNJr had 5 TOs 0 Dimes 0 boards 3-11 field. Did have 5 steals
Shawn Walker 30 minutes 0 FGs
Ace Stallings 10 empty minutes

All for developing players, but is this too much of a "My Guys vs the old guys?"
Mazz is gone? Shawn Walker is getting huge minutes all of the sudden?
Mezie is barely playing, first few games Armel had a DNP 1 minute and 8 minutes WHY exactly??? 

Does anyone like what they are seeing so far? Maybe we need more of a meritocracy on the playing time?

Last edited by The Dude (11/23/2019 12:34 am)

11/23/2019 12:58 am  #2

Re: The Good and the Bad

And Armel was only a desperation move because he had been largely buried this year.
There was no Mazz to turn to, which JC might have regretted, assuming winning this year is any sort
of priority for him..
This is the problem: as Dude noted, it doesn't seem like a meritocracy.
It's one thing to sacrifice some parts for the future, for example, playing JNJ more than he should really be playing now, so he can develop in the future. Mojo deep sixed his new guys in a failing effort to save his job.  JC se ems to be featuring them well above their results or even potential. JNJ can spend time on the court and on the bench with some coaching. No freshman right now is at the level of a complete A-10 starter,though Jamison when he is on and JNJ have had their moments and certainly can be, even maybe during conference play.
Winnable games should not be lost, as with the case of all our losses this season. Tolerating a non-spectacular season with an upward trajectory is one thing. This is just dysfunctional basketball.

11/23/2019 8:11 am  #3

If we are talking just for this game, I would probably put Mezie in "the bad" but otherwise I'd agree. Despite being erratic, JNJ took more shots than either Jamison or Maceo who were making their shots which is disappointing.

Throwing out the down the stretch play, I'll say I was encouraged with what I saw in terms of growth in the first half. The rotations made a lot more sense yesterday based on what we currently have. Breaking down just personnel, FQ had a good post in the UMKC thread about what we currently have, which isn't much.

I think JC is fine with letting the seniors get some run in their final campaigns. Armel is clearly the best passer on the team right now - 6 assists in each of the past two games playing just over 20 minutes. Juice hasn't shown much yet but I think JC can live with one more year of both Armel and Juice - they aren't long term pieces.

Maceo is who he is at this point - a good weapon on offense. I thought he would truly explode this year In JC's system, but only has one game so far with 10+ field goal attempts. 

Javier has had his moments on defense, but is too raw offensively. Him starting right now says a lot about our frontcourt. AT and Chase being healthy would definitely help. Given how much JC has played the freshmen (paving the way for the future) I wouldn't be surprised to see Chase play 30 mpg when he is healthy. It is very clear this is a multi-year rebuild, and JC hasn't cut corners with immediately eligible grad transfers. Once AT, Chase (and maybe Amir as well) can get back, I see Ace's minutes going down.

As mentioned previously, Mezie was recruited by JC so maybe JC is willing to be a bit more patient with him, but he clearly isn't ready to play too much right now. His few minutes of late are warranted. Mezie would have fouled out within 10 minutes in the UMKC game. Given his range only extends about 15-20 feet, I am just not sure about his fit on this team long term. His long arms and athleticism are intriguing, but right now there's nothing more sadly.

JNJ probably shouldn't be playing 30+ minutes right now, but he is the future so I get it. I understand why St. Joe's wanted him to do a year of prep school before coming to college. It's wise to include the fact that JNJ has only been playing basketball for two years (similar to incoming freshman Noel), which is part of the reason many schools weren't on to him yet. I'm sure the growth will come with time, but right now he should focus on fundamentals rather than flashy plays.

I am probably one of the higher guys on Shawn on this board so far, but even I would agree he shouldn't be playing 30 minutes a game - maybe half of that which again speaks to what we have right now. He has played a lot of empty minutes so far. I would have been inclined to give Justin some of those minutes, but it's debatable who would take those minutes at this point in time. Amir's return will definitely eat into them I'd figure.

Jamison is a bit raw defensively, but his disciplined approach offensively (he didn't do as much just catch and shoot against UMKC) showed that he got good coaching in HS. He has probably been the most steady of the freshmen so far.

Looking to the future, next year's team will currently look like: Maceo, Javier, Amir, Mezie, Sloan, JNJ, Shawn, Jamison, Chase, Tyler, Lincoln, and Noel (possibly AT as well). The team is still probably a bit young at that point and could use a bit more talent, so 2021-22 will probably be the year where it will be a bit more clear with what we have.

11/23/2019 2:40 pm  #4

Good thoughts, sell me on Shawn, from what I've seen so far I am a little bearish, but obviously this is ridiculous early in his career.   What's the upside there?

What I don't quite get is why Mazz and Armel did not get the early minutes and then have the Freshman pushing them and if merited, push them down the rotation.  Armel graduates this year Mazz would have next year.   Instead it seems they were just handed most of the PT, over flawed but currently better options.

Is the offense really being run better by JNJr than Mazz would have?  is Shawn playing well enough to suddenly earn back to back 30+ minute games?  How did Armel get 3 DNP/nearly DNPs on a team this thin?

As for Ace, IDK, Javi at least grabs boards blocks some shots, etc.  What is Ace bringing at the moment?

We've seen Mazz play a full A10 slate, he looks like a guy who belonged on the court at least, we're seeing really young guys struggling to match up with some of lesser D1 programs, which isn't a great look or make much sense.  
As for the style of play complaints, that I have zero issue with.  People complained about ML installing his style when the personnel didn't quite match it yet, and Mojo tried that too, that's a different issue IMO.   

If we have meritorious young guns pushing aside the returning veterans, I'd be all for that too. Just seems that's not the case?

Board footera