GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/23/2019 4:47 pm  #1

GW vs Milwaukee Game Thread

Milwaukee at 2pm Sunday.  They are 5-2 but have played a light schedule.  

Anyone know anything about this team? DMV!?

Can we make it back to back wins in the ballroom??

11/23/2019 8:36 pm  #2

Re: GW vs Milwaukee Game Thread

Milwaukee Panthers

Date/Time: Sunday November 24th @ 2:00 PM EST at Days Inn in Nassau, Bahamas.
Record Last Year: 9-22, 4-14 (10th in Horizon)
Preseason Ranks: 239th (KenPom), 211th (Bart Torvik), 250th (Sports Illustrated), 237th (CBS)
Projected Record: 15-14, 9-9 (T-5th in Horizon)
Postseason Last Year: None.
Coaching Record: Pat Baldwin, 3rd season at Milwaukee, currently holding a 30-41 (.423) record.

All TIme Record: Never previously faced the Panthers before. With the number of D1 teams continuing to increase as more schools move up from D2, I guess we will see more such cases (granted Milwaukee moved to D1 in 1973-74). 353 already is a bit too many in my opinion.

Offensive Efficiency: 266th (KenPom), 244th (Bart Torvik)
Defensive Efficiency: 187th (KenPom), 162nd (Bart Torvik)
Tempo: 139th (KenPom), 166th (Bart Torvik)

Key Returning Players:
Darius Roy (SR; Lawton, OK) 15.8 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 4.1 apg, 1.2 spg; 45% FG, 41% 3-pt, 84% FT
DeAndre Abram (RS SR; Carrollton, TX) 12.1 ppg, 6.9 rpg, 1.1 apg; 38% FG, 32% 3-pt, 76% FT
Amir Allen (RS JR; Randolph, NJ) 6.1 ppg, 4.3 rpg; 56% FG, 54% FT

Key Losses:
Vance Johnson (Graduated; Chicago, IL) 10.1 ppg, 5.5 rpg; 46% FG, 32% 3-pt, 86% FT
Jake Wright (Graduated; Minneapolis, MN) 9.3 ppg, 1.9 rpg; 41% FG, 40% 3-pt, 94% FT
Carson Warren-Newsome (Transferred to D2 Texas-Permian Basin; Waukegan, IL) 9 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 2.2 apg; 40% FG, 29% 3-pt, 87% FT
Bryce Barnes (Transferred to William & Mary; Chicago, IL) 6.1 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 2.7 apg; 35% FG, 34% 3-pt, 67% FT

Comments:
The Panthers regressed from year 1 to year 2 under Baldwin, winning just 9 games like us in the 18-19 season (compared to 16 the year before). Milwaukee did not move the ball well (301st in assists per game), hardly got to the free throw line (314th in FTA, although they did make them at a top 50 percentage rate when they got there), and defensively, hardly turned teams over (331st in steals per game, 340th in turnovers forced), which is usually a bad combination. I'd say Baldwin could end up on the hot seat should things go off the rails this season in Milwaukee. The Panthers are off to a 5-2 start so far which isn't a bad start, but in what figures to be a down year in the Horizon - Northern Kentucky has a new coachDetroit is ineligible for the NCAA tournament because of poor APR scores, and the late coaching changes at Cleveland State and IUPUI (or should I say IUDUI hehe) the league is up for grabs after perennial contender Wright State so I'd say expectations are higher for the Panthers. Part of the improvement thus far has been the difference in FT rate between the Panthers and the opponents they've faced. So far, the Panthers rank 18th in FT rate (which is a far cry from last year's 314th ranking) and 348th in opponent FT rate. Not sure that's sustainable, but that's definitely a good thing for them.

Last year, Milwaukee lost several games that were 5 points or less, failing to close out games down the stretch (hmm I wonder where I've heard that before...) Apart from the current close KenPom rankings between us and them (and the failure to close out games), the Panthers also run a PnR-centric offense (top 30 rate in the country last season) so we should be ready for whatever they throw at us.

The Panthers have a relatively experienced team with 4 seniors and 5 juniors. Like last year, the Panthers will be led by senior duo Darius Roy and DeAndre Abram. Roy, who came to Milwaukee after beginning his career at Mercer and spending a year in the JUCO ranks, is their returning leading scorer and a very strong all-around playmaker offensively whose efficiency is somewhat hampered by his high usage. There are not too many three point threats on this team, but Roy is one of them, having made 10 threes on the year. Abram is a 6'8" guard who can play multiple positions on the floor after coming over from crosstown rival George Mason. Abram leads Milwaukee in threes this year with 14, but neither him nor Roy shoots above 36% from deep so they aren't snipers per say (granted Roy shot 41% last year). Abram in particular is a guy you want to run off the line though, as he is shooting worse from inside the arc and is a cold 29% from the line on limited attempts. Given his height, Abram also serves as one of Milwaukee's main rebounders.

As you can tell from the "key losses" Milwaukee has quite a few new faces this year, many of which have talented backgrounds, giving Baldwin many options to work with. Two juniors who have so far made noticeable impacts this year are 4 star guard Te'Jon Lucas and former JUCO Josh Thomas. Lucas is returning home to Milwaukee after playing a reserve role at Illinois. Lucas is not much of a shooter and prefers to get his points closer to the rim, but brings more to the Panthers than just scoring. Lucas ranks second on the team in rebounding (5.7) and also serves as their primary ball handler (with an impressive 5.7 assists per contest). He is also their best defender, averaging 2 steals a game. When he's on his game, Lucas is a triple-double threat, although he is susceptible to coughing up the ball. Thomas similarly prefers to get his points closer to the hoop and adds more rebounding to the squad.

These four guards will bring much of the scoring for this Milwaukee team, but by no means is this team lacking in frontcourt players. There are quite a few faces here, led by a pair of former JUCOs hailing from the Garden State in senior Will Sessoms and junior Amir Allen. Neither is a stretch big, and of the two, Allen is probably the more offensive-minded player. He also leads the team in rebounding. Their backups will be USC transfer Harrison Henderson and freshman C.J. Wilbourn. Henderson has quite literally been all over the country - he's from North Carolina, played HS ball in Texas, attended USC in California, and is now playing in Wisconsin (the California to Wisconsin move is probably the most jarring giving the weather change I'd assume). There is not too much to distinguish any of these four guys - they are decent near the hoop, serviceable rebounders, but again, no one is a threat from three nor will they attempt many.

The remainder of the rotation will consist of wings, including redshirt freshman Shae Mitchell, sophomore Arturro Bingham, and freshman Courtney Brown, Jr. Mitchell was a pretty highly regarded prospect out of HS. He played on D1 Minnesota (Jamison's AAU team) and like Battle, plays with great composure and flow. Bingham is a former JUCO from Mississippi. Brown also hails from Minnesota. These three players all good shooters from deep, but won't see many minutes or attempts. Brown will probably see the most playing time and is probably the best rebounder of the three, but is a less efficient shooter.

I see this as similar to the UMKC game. I'd expect us to keep it relatively close, and it will come down to whether we are able to make winning plays down the stretch.

Predicted Score: GW 68, Milwaukee 67. 51% chance to win (Bart Torvik). This is as close to a pick 'em game as you can get. Milwaukee defeated UMKC 61-52 at home earlier this season.

Last edited by dmvpiranha (11/23/2019 8:58 pm)

11/23/2019 10:18 pm  #3

Good preview!
Would take 2 of 3 in the ballroom, looks like another close game most likely.
Maybe start Armel Potter?

11/24/2019 12:33 pm  #4

DMV

Love your previews - almost missed the Days Inn location.

Well done!!!

11/24/2019 2:02 pm  #5

Looks like tipoff is being pushed back about 20 mins. Will there be enough time to air out all the gym smell from the room before tomorrow´s Chamber of Commerce breakfast?

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (11/24/2019 2:06 pm)

11/24/2019 2:09 pm  #6

Over under on made 3s by Jamison Battle? I say 3.5 

I'll take the over 

11/24/2019 2:09 pm  #7

you can watch the women vs Georgetown on ESPN+.  GW leads 8-0 at 6:39.

11/24/2019 2:13 pm  #8

UMKC beat Team Joe Dooley last night. Seems neither GW nor its grads can figure out the ´Roos.

11/24/2019 2:33 pm  #9

Game about to tip off.  Have picture, no sound

11/24/2019 2:36 pm  #10

Potter starting over Jr.

11/24/2019 2:37 pm  #11

Best defense I have seen Javy play.   Took away 3 pointer from Walker by committing offensive foul

11/24/2019 2:40 pm  #12

Anyone else here?

11/24/2019 2:42 pm  #13

Yes, Ace Stallings playing like a man possessed.
Don'tknow why someone didn't tell Shawn that shot clock was running out. Or he didn't know.
Of course, there may not be a visible shot clock near the DJ booth for the ballroom.

11/24/2019 2:43 pm  #14

Probably would be more people on the game thread, if you stopped using it to whine and complain about every possession.
Just a thought

11/24/2019 2:43 pm  #15

I'm here.  Today I found that LiveStats actually works.

11/24/2019 2:44 pm  #16

Starting to like Walker

11/24/2019 2:44 pm  #17

Arrrgh!!! My (normally) reliable pirate site does not have the game-- had the earlier one and lists the next one. Insert multiple four-letter words and their conjugations here _________________

11/24/2019 2:47 pm  #18

Is it true the Mil has only 1 rebound thus far?

11/24/2019 2:47 pm  #19

Now excited about Nelson Jr. Walker and Battle, Nd haven’t even seen Paar or Harris yet.  Feeling optimistic despite record

11/24/2019 2:51 pm  #20

Thank you Dude.  Will take your great insight into consideration

Board footera