GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/06/2019 6:53 am  #41

Re: Jamison Battle

Chillax folks.  This is a board to focus on GW Sports, especially basketball.  Let's continue to try to keep that focus.

12/06/2019 5:06 pm  #42

up to 44.4% from 3, a Firestormer start to his GW career as a Freshman.

Has a really broad frame, looks he could really put on even more strength and become an inside/outside kind of guy.  

1/09/2020 4:10 pm  #43

Jamison is averaging:  12 points, 5.5 Boards,  shooting over 40% from 3 and over 90% from the line

He has a true shooting % of .596.  He's co-leader with Armel in WIN shares, 1.5 each.

1/12/2020 2:30 pm  #44

Update:

13 points, 6 boards, 92% FT.  40% from 3.

In Conference action:  19 points 9 boards and shooting 67% from 2, 

1/13/2020 7:01 pm  #45

Rookie of the week for the second time this season! Congrats Jamison on the well-deserved honor. Two games in a row with a double-double is amazing for a freshman at any level.

Full article: https://atlantic10.com/news/2020/1/13/mens-basketball-goodwin-battle-selected-as-atlantic-10-player-rookie-of-the-week.aspx

Perhaps the most bizarre thing is that Stephen A. Smith weighed in. Not sure if there is any connection there, but the extra pub is always a positive.

1/13/2020 8:48 pm  #46

Woah!  Pretty cool!

Quite an honor, way to Go Jamison!!

1/13/2020 8:52 pm  #47

It has been great to watch Jamison improve this year, he seems to get better and more confident with every game. A definite bright spot in another dreary season.

1/14/2020 8:52 am  #48

Sums it up perfectly.  A definite bright spot in another dreary season.

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (1/14/2020 8:53 am)

1/14/2020 9:40 am  #49

Do most here feel the season has been dreary?  I'm just not sure that's the word I would go with.  I'm as encouraged  by the start of our conference season as anyone can be towards a team with an 0-3 record.  Three losses, each by five points, to teams which are a combined 10-1 in the A10 and 39-10 overall, including the two teams that played for the A10 title last year.  I'll acknowledge my disappointment over the OOC schedule.  Switch the losses against American and Morgan State to wins and the team ends up with a more expected 8-5 record rather than a disappointing 6-7 record.  However, what needs to happen from keeping the season from being dreary in my mind is that we have to close out wins in most of the winnable games.  Two games against Fordham, La Salle, Umass, St. Joe's, even splits with Mason and Richmond are within this team's grasp.  7-11 after an 0-3 start would be a nice achievement for this team.  This doesn't even include home games against Davidson and URI which are not likely but are potentially doable (if we continue to pay close attention to driving guys off of the 3 point line, something which went away against Duquesne, the Davidson game in particular could be an interesting one).

And regarding the thread topic, congratulations to Jamison on this week's honor.  He has just been tremendous.

1/14/2020 10:33 am  #50

Gwmayhem wrote:

Do most here feel the season has been dreary?  I'm just not sure that's the word I would go with.  I'm as encouraged  by the start of our conference season as anyone can be towards a team with an 0-3 record.  Three losses, each by five points, to teams which are a combined 10-1 in the A10 and 39-10 overall, including the two teams that played for the A10 title last year.  I'll acknowledge my disappointment over the OOC schedule.  Switch the losses against American and Morgan State to wins and the team ends up with a more expected 8-5 record rather than a disappointing 6-7 record.  However, what needs to happen from keeping the season from being dreary in my mind is that we have to close out wins in most of the winnable games.  Two games against Fordham, La Salle, Umass, St. Joe's, even splits with Mason and Richmond are within this team's grasp.  7-11 after an 0-3 start would be a nice achievement for this team.  This doesn't even include home games against Davidson and URI which are not likely but are potentially doable (if we continue to pay close attention to driving guys off of the 3 point line, something which went away against Duquesne, the Davidson game in particular could be an interesting one).

And regarding the thread topic, congratulations to Jamison on this week's honor.  He has just been tremendous.

I wouldn't use dreary either. I think the season has more or less been what was expected - ups and downs with a young team and a new coach. Of course, the AU and Morgan State games were not expected outcomes but in fairness neither of those games are losses if we played them again with Harris and Paar. Again, we very likely weren't playing for the post-season this year so I am more interested in whether we are improving than the scoreboard result each night. It sucks losing but you can't be sick for three years and expect to recover in 2 1/2 months. I believe by this time next year, we will begin to see the results of the seeds being planted today.

Jamison is fast becoming a guy who will be a foundation building block for this program.If nothing else, we should commend Mojo for getting him here. I expect he will get many honors over the coming years. I think we are just scratching the surface as to how good he can become. There is light at the end of the tunnel but we just have to be patient until we get there.

1/14/2020 11:23 am  #51

dmvpiranha wrote:

Perhaps the most bizarre thing is that Stephen A. Smith weighed in. Not sure if there is any connection there, but the extra pub is always a positive.

That certainly is bizarre!! Do you think SCREAMIN A is connected to Jamison Battle or he mistook J.Battle for someone else? 

As for Jamison Battle's freshman year, I'm assuming 2 of UMass' freshman are ahead of him in terms of Rookie of the Week honors, but J.Battle came in with a lot less fanfare than the UMass freshmen, so what he's done is fantastic. 

1/14/2020 3:16 pm  #52

It is SUPER Bizarre.  

Does anyone know the answer? 
I was beginning to think our fan base was asleep on Jamison, Stephen A is all over him???

lol

1/14/2020 4:16 pm  #53

I think someone (I'm betting Jameer's dad, JC or someone in the Battle family) had a connection to Stephen A. These things (tweets and re-tweets) don't randomly happen from high profile twitter accounts..

1/14/2020 5:01 pm  #54

GW Rising and The Dude,  SCREAMIN A comes off as a Trolling Entertainer, not any sort of journalist, that's why I'm puzzled by this. It makes no sense for someone like Stephen A to mention Jamison Battle because he's unknown to the masses(at this point, that should change as he continues to get better!!) and wouldn't garner a lot of clicks/responses.

Looking at GW's twitter, they did tag Scott Van Pelt(who announced he's moving back to D.C. and will do his Sportscenter show from the same studio as Pardon the Interruption) about attending the GW-George Mason game before Stephen A.Smith posted about J.Battle. Maybe Stephen A saw what SVP wrote to GW and decided to jump in. SVP did respond to GW's tweet, so there is a chance that SVP will now attend a few GW games. I'm sure most of you remember SVP being a huge fan of Pops!! I think SVP initially liked the name, then realized Pops and his GW teams were very good, as they beat his Terps two years in a row!!

https://twitter.com/GW_MBB/status/1216773664995184640   GW's tweet to Scott Van Pelt, Van Pelt responds with a Nima Omidvar mention!!

1/14/2020 5:28 pm  #55

I have to admit that I had to look up who Stephan A Smith is.  Is this important in any way?

1/14/2020 6:20 pm  #56

BC, hard to say how important it is, but I can say you were so much better off not knowing who Stephen A. Smith was.

1/14/2020 6:26 pm  #57

Thomas wrote:

GW Rising and The Dude,  SCREAMIN A comes off as a Trolling Entertainer, not any sort of journalist, that's why I'm puzzled by this. It makes no sense for someone like Stephen A to mention Jamison Battle because he's unknown to the masses(at this point, that should change as he continues to get better!!) and wouldn't garner a lot of clicks/responses.

Looking at GW's twitter, they did tag Scott Van Pelt(who announced he's moving back to D.C. and will do his Sportscenter show from the same studio as Pardon the Interruption) about attending the GW-George Mason game before Stephen A.Smith posted about J.Battle. Maybe Stephen A saw what SVP wrote to GW and decided to jump in. SVP did respond to GW's tweet, so there is a chance that SVP will now attend a few GW games. I'm sure most of you remember SVP being a huge fan of Pops!! I think SVP initially liked the name, then realized Pops and his GW teams were very good, as they beat his Terps two years in a row!!

https://twitter.com/GW_MBB/status/1216773664995184640   GW's tweet to Scott Van Pelt, Van Pelt responds with a Nima Omidvar mention!!

Thomas, play connect the dots with me for a moment. Stephen A. was a columnist and writer for the Philadelphia Inquirer during the time Jameer Nelson Sr. was playing at St. Joe's.  My thought is Jameer knows Stephen A. and brought it to his attention. Remember Jameer is also a studio analyst for CBS Sports Network and was in studio this past weekend. So it wouldn't surprise me a bit if Jameer was involved which is great for the program if so. Just a hunch but no facts to back it up.

1/14/2020 10:28 pm  #58

Mystery solved Jamison Battle dad was roommates with Stephen A in college.

1/15/2020 3:13 am  #59

Had to be something like that, well there it is, pretty cool!

1/15/2020 9:13 am  #60

Gwfan,  thanks for clearing things up!! I'm assuming Stephen A.Smith will give Jamison Battle more mentions as he keeps getting better.  

GWMayem,  I agree with you, BC was better off not knowing who Stephen A. Smith is. I'd like to apologize to BC and anyone else who only became aware of SCREAMIN-A after reading this thread!! LOL

Board footera