GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/23/2019 12:52 pm  #1

Non -conf update

GW will host Longwood on 28 DEC.

7/23/2019 12:57 pm  #2

Re: Non -conf update

As of now the non-conf looks like this:04 NOV @ Towson
22 NOV Bahamas UMKC
23 NOV Bahamas ECU/Evansville
24 NOV Bahamas Milwaukee/Rice/ Morgan State/ liberty
04 DEC Boston University
07 DEC @ Valporaiso University
28 DEC Longwood
TBA @ Vermont
TBA @ American
 4 games/opponents remain unknown.

7/23/2019 1:00 pm  #3

Moving some stuff over from the original GW Hoops: 

We'll play Valpo, Vermont, Towson, and American for sure on the road. 

We're also in the Islands of the Bahamas Showcase with a guaranteed game against UMKC, and at least two other games. 

EDIT: Keeping this up, but looks like jmoi beat me to the punch, and with much more detail!

Last edited by GooColonialsGo (7/23/2019 1:00 pm)

7/23/2019 2:52 pm  #4

We are opening the season at Towson November 5. I'd post the link to Towson's schedule but the site does not let me do so yet. @thed1docket on twitter has a spreadsheet with every teams schedule in it as well

7/23/2019 3:17 pm  #5

That's a really weak schedule.  But fine for this year's team as it rebuilds.   I hope JC's philosophy, though, is to play tougher teams to get ready for A-10 play, not just to rack up lots of OOC wins so his W-L record looks better on paper than the team actually is. 

7/23/2019 3:30 pm  #6

My biggest ding on JC is that his record against good teams is pretty atrocious.  His biggest wins are versus OK teams in their down periods (#114 Harvard last year, #123 GMU in 2017 and #111GWU in ML's first year).  The rest of his wins are mostly against a mishmash of 200-300 level teams.  I'm guessing he's starting weak for his own sake too.

7/23/2019 3:39 pm  #7

Thanks for the info GW18!

You are correct, we are actually at Towson 05NOV.

Does seem like a weak schedule, but can understand if Jamion wants to give the guys some confidence after the past three seasons. 4 of these games are also just leftover home and homes from the MoJo era. I think the trips to Vermont and Valpo are good. Two historically strong mid-major Programs (w/ Vermont currently good).

When Nima did that interview for a Maryland podcast a month or two ago, he made some interesting comments regarding how it doesn’t matter as much to him who they play in the non-conf just as long as they win. I don’t have the exact quote though. It’s only going to get harder for GW to schedule top Power 5 program home and homes, but I’d like to see us try and get some lower tier power 5 teams and squads from the conferences just below the Power 5 like the American and the Big East.

7/23/2019 4:31 pm  #8

I'd have to think that most of this schedule pre-dates Jamion.  The Bahamas event was likely in the works before he left Siena since these tournaments often schedule well in advance..  Most other games are continuations of home-and -homes.  Only BU and Longwood are not and given how often GW has played BU over the years, this could be the start of a home-and-home which may have easily been on the books for a while.

7/23/2019 6:46 pm  #9

I remember seeing GW lose on a buzzer-beater at Towson in 1989. This is not a bubble team, so a weak schedule is not going to cost this team a bid.

7/23/2019 8:18 pm  #10

As a fan, I hope this is just way for this year's team to boost its confidence, and not a new philosophical approach to non-conference scheduling.  If it's just a blip in quality, maybe it'll work out well.

7/23/2019 8:22 pm  #11

22ndandF wrote:

As a fan, I hope this is just way for this year's team to boost its confidence, and not a new philosophical approach to non-conference scheduling.  If it's just a blip in quality, maybe it'll work out well.

7/30/2019 1:36 pm  #12

Playing Harvard at the Smith Center on December 21st per Rothstein

7/30/2019 1:37 pm  #13

Harvard at home December 21

7/30/2019 1:40 pm  #14

GW0509 wrote:

Beat me a by a few seconds!

7/30/2019 1:48 pm  #15

GW18 wrote:

GW0509 wrote:

Beat me a by a few seconds!

7/30/2019 1:49 pm  #16

Wow! That's four years in a row. Is double home-home scheduling a thing in college hoops?

​We trying to start a rivalry with the Crimson?

7/30/2019 3:00 pm  #17

jmoiii2016 wrote:

Wow! That's four years in a row. Is double home-home scheduling a thing in college hoops?

​We trying to start a rivalry with the Crimson?

Or Howard is, considering Harvard plays the Bison the very next day. I guess Harvard wanted to get the most out of its D.C. trip.

7/30/2019 4:09 pm  #18

Harvard has had an extended series of games against Howard too?? Tommy Amaker must really like playing teams from this area where he grew up. I'm assuming Maryland, Georgetown and maybe Virginia are too scared to play him because he's turned Harvard into somewhat of a powerhouse since he took over, so T.Amaker settles for Howard and GW. Harvard did end Georgetown's season(at McDonough Gym) in the NIT last season, so I'm sure Georgetown won't be scheduling them anytime soon. 

7/31/2019 10:09 am  #19

7/31/2019 10:15 am  #20

@ Towson 11/5
VS UMKC (Bahamas) 11/22
VS ECU/Evansville (Bahamas) 11/23
VS MIlwaukee/Rice/Morgan State/Milwaukee (Bahamas) 11/24
VS Boston U 12/4
@ Valpo 12/7
VS Harvard 12/21
VS Longwood 12/28
@ Vermont 12/31

@ American - TBD
Still have room for 3 other games which I assume we will play 1-2 BCS buy games. 

Board footera