GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/24/2023 1:25 pm  #661

Re: GW New Moniker Discussion

Just because I am like this how long before Revolutionary is conflated with Insurrectionist... Not that I want to cause any trouble.

5/24/2023 1:28 pm  #662

Are there any other 6 syllable nicknames in D1?

5/24/2023 1:39 pm  #663

jersey guy wrote:

Just because I am like this how long before Revolutionary is conflated with Insurrectionist... Not that I want to cause any trouble.

Don't ever change Jersey guy.

5/24/2023 1:45 pm  #664

Can’t wait for JB IV to be rocking the REVS 3rd jersey.

All that money and Ernest sounding out reach for a nickname that’s the answer to the American Motors Ambassador. Why not the GW 5 Year Plans?

Will the much Bally hooed increased student engagement get us Che Guevara t shirts battling Proud Boys garb?

Id laugh all the time except as a season ticket holder I’m going to be sitting the middle of this. Oh Joy! What an energizing coup!

What’s the under/over on those in power claiming to be keep out of the loop? How many will claim there is broad support for the new name?

Last edited by FredD (5/24/2023 1:50 pm)

5/24/2023 1:49 pm  #665

Free Quebec wrote:

This might be the one.  Coming up with 5 for the Fighting illini and the Rainbow Warriors. I'd venture to say that nobody has 6 within a single word.

5/24/2023 2:03 pm  #666

jersey guy wrote:

Best laugh I have had in awhile- well done

5/24/2023 2:03 pm  #667

Summing up what I believe would be a majority opinion of those here: it could be worse.
Totally unnecessary and huge aggravating that we are doing it, but definitely one of the least 
dumber options in this multi-million dollar waste of time and energy.
   And the fix long seemed to be in, as predicted here, and not a bad idea in this case.

5/24/2023 2:14 pm  #668

jersey guy wrote:

The uninformed freshmen (along with uniformed sophs, jrs and srs) will conflate them very soon.  Probably on twitter and other parts of the interweb.  

5/24/2023 2:30 pm  #669

Mike K wrote:

jersey guy wrote:

The uninformed freshmen (along with uniformed sophs, jrs and srs) will conflate them very soon.  Probably on twitter and other parts of the interweb.  

I know someone who is already stirring that pot  I can hear it now ... Announcer: this is a very proud moment for the GW Revolutionaries as James Bishop scores his 2000th career point. GW Student: Did he just say James Bishop is a member of the revolutionary Proud Boys? I am offended!

Are you ready for the next iteration of pick that moniker? 

Last edited by GWRising (5/24/2023 2:34 pm)

5/24/2023 2:37 pm  #670

Free Quebec wrote:

I would think they follow the lead of the New England Revolution in the MLS and mostly go by the REVS moniker.

Last edited by TJT85 (5/24/2023 2:47 pm)

5/24/2023 2:41 pm  #671

Call me crazy-and many have-I was kind of hoping for the “Blue Fog”-just because it was so different and dare I say “sexy”?Having said that if they called the team the GW “Revolution” I would have been
satisfied.But-no! Close but no cigar.IIts long,clumsy and will become controversial -of course.

5/24/2023 3:01 pm  #672

Halftime Entertainment ...

With a nod to the Presidents race at Nationals Park ....a race back and forth - length of the court - between revolutionary figures ... Stalin, Lenin, Mao, Castro, and Guevarra. Very fitting for this iteration of GW. The students will love it!

Last edited by GWRising (5/24/2023 3:02 pm)

5/24/2023 3:05 pm  #673

GWRising wrote:

With a nod to the Presidents race at Nationals Park ....a race back and forth - length of the court - between revolutionary figures ... Stalin, Lenin, Mao, Castro, and Guevarra. Very fitting for this iteration of GW. The students will love it!

Yikes-- it's amazing that this "advisory" committee didn't have enough time to do a few Googles.

https://www.onthisday.com/people/revolutionaries   And btw- not a single female on the list.

Last edited by xAC (5/25/2023 10:38 am)

5/24/2023 3:18 pm  #674

Let’s all keep it in perspective. Our original list  of “finalists” actually included The Catalysts amd The Squad. Maybe that was by design, so people like me will say, “”well at least it wasn’t those!”  That said, I can live with the Revolutionaries. George Washington was a revolutionary   He led a revolution. At least there’s a semblance of red thread thinking that connects past to present. Sounds obvious that there would be some sort of logical red thread, but we’ve seen that movie before with this bunch. So there’s that. 

So count me in. I’ll always be a Colonial. You ain’t ever going to take that lineage away from me. But I am looking forward too. And let me close by saying, #LetsGoRevs!!!!!

Last edited by Alum1 (5/24/2023 3:22 pm)

5/24/2023 3:19 pm  #675

A tad long. Does Revos work as some sort of slang?

5/24/2023 3:35 pm  #676

xAC wrote:

GWRising wrote:

Yikes-- it's amazing that this "advisory" committee didn't have enough time to do a few Googles.

https://www.onthisday.com/people/revolutionaries

The new logo can be a hammer and sickle.  That would be as nice as the six syllable “Go” chant.

GW will not be on my future donation list. Their loss is someone else’s gain.

5/24/2023 4:01 pm  #677

Rising-I love it!Trotsky and Lenin could run down the court and then the Stalin trailing right behind could
take out a gun (real or toy) and shoot Trotsky.I,for one ,would pay top dollar to watch this psychodrama
play out.So many scenarios are possible with the costumed revolutionaries that I would love to volunteer 
to stage and direct these half-time bon bons.Truly delicious absurdities!

5/24/2023 4:12 pm  #678

jersey guy wrote:

Tourist will be the compromise is Ashville will let us share the name.

5/24/2023 5:45 pm  #679

I am thankful they chose Revs over Blue Fog.  Although I was already mentally preparing myself for BF, because I was suspecting that was the direction they were headed, since it seemed to have a lot of student support. (If you Raise High Blue Fog, isn't it just a cloud???)  

Revolutionaries and Colonials are practically the same thing (in our case).

Revs, for short.

5/24/2023 6:28 pm  #680

Just win me an A10 championship. I couldn’t care less about the “moniker.”

Board footera