GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/10/2021 5:58 pm  #161

Re: GW New Moniker Discussion

Given all the verbiage expended here on a decision that has yet to be decided/announced and despite having been afforded the opportunity to comment on the possible change early in the process, I’m guessing that many here will be reconsidering their 5 and 6 digit contributions to GW above their Club and ticket expenditures. Otherwise, thanks to Barry for providing the scream tunnel. Complaining about GW and what used to be Rice Hall is a long-standing tradition we learned as 1st year students, regardless of when or what school at GW we attended.

2/10/2022 1:50 pm  #162

Perhaps this was discussed on here, but it appears that GW's board is going to decide on whether to change the school's name away from Colonials.  An opinion from the Hatchet said they should.  Given all of the name changes in sports, I think it is at least a 50/50 possibility that the name changes.  So what should the name change be?

There is only one name that comes to mind for me, and people will howl about it because of the Globe Trotters, but I think the George Washington Generals sounds pretty good.  Maybe that doesn't work for women's teams as well, because people associate a General with men.  It's better than the Commanders, and you have to be about 50 or older to even remember those games between the Globe Trotters and the Washington Generals.

I am also sure most here will want the Colonials name to stay.  I am good with that.  I just think there is a chance it won't make it when the board decides.  So there has to be a new name chosen.

2/10/2022 2:04 pm  #163

Hippos

2/10/2022 2:35 pm  #164

Small fan base is so beaten down this bizarre change won't matter.
How about the GW "Whatevers"?

2/10/2022 2:39 pm  #165

Beagles!

1. George Washington bred hound dogs
2. We’d be the only team in NCAA with that name
3. Live mascot!

2/10/2022 2:46 pm  #166

Carvers.

2/10/2022 3:35 pm  #167

gwstudent2024 wrote:

Hippos

I’m never sure if this is a joke or not but would be so so horrible if that is what it’s changed to.

2/10/2022 3:43 pm  #168

My first choice is Colonials.
After that, maybe "Independents". After all, the slave owner whose name adorns the school was opposed to political parties, and DC is a political town, and like Colonials being listed as "Colonels", too many out-of-town papers/websites would misspell it "Independence" so our self-esteem will remain unchanged, and it won´t offend anyone (even those too dense to realize that a colonist and a colonial are two different things).

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (2/10/2022 5:00 pm)

2/10/2022 5:39 pm  #169

George Washington Revolution. Its actually kinda ironic to me that we are the Colonials, when GW is best known for his roll in ensuring that his fellow countrymen were no longer Colonials.

2/10/2022 6:42 pm  #170

I've always thought the GW Revolution would be a good back-up name, despite it sounding like a major league soccer team. A lot of other obvious names may have trademark issues. Just make sure it's better than the "Commanders."

2/10/2022 7:42 pm  #171

I try not to get upset with things in today's culture, but I don't even want to have a debate on a new name because ditching "Colonials" is just so totally absurd to me.  A Colonial is just a period individual who lived in one of the 13 colonies.  How can you change "Colonials" without also changing "George Washington?"  For that matter, maybe JC should change his last name or we shouldn't recruit people with the last name of Bishop because some people associate religious imperialism--among other things--from those surnames. 

The Hatchet  op-ed is as meaningful as any random  comment on Twitter (or perhaps my post here!).  It comes from asst professor who probably feels obligated to write at least one absurd thing every few months to qualify for tenure.  

The moniker is "Colonials"--and that's it!

Last edited by Merrick (2/10/2022 7:42 pm)

2/10/2022 8:33 pm  #172

Forrest Maltzman must love that op-ed.
Maybe this guy should lead pre-game calisthenics.
Lot of amazing stretching there.

2/10/2022 9:12 pm  #173

Since the name is now available, and in line with the absurdity of the need for a name change, how about:

Washington Football Team. 

For all the school's athletic teams.

2/10/2022 10:11 pm  #174

I am a committed progressive and I think the idea of changing the name because people confuse it with a different word is the kind of thing that makes otherwise normal people think maybe it would be better to let the fascists take over than have a democracy that might allow those behind the name change to win elections. 

If we have to change Colonials, my suggestion is just to officially rename the team “Colonials (Not Colonists, dummy)”. 

They could call us the CNCDs if necessary.

Last edited by Free Quebec (2/10/2022 11:24 pm)

2/10/2022 10:17 pm  #175

I think the GW Carvers would be a GREAT name!  Well done, Gwmayhem!

2/10/2022 10:23 pm  #176

How soft do you have to be to be offended by colonials. Lmao

2/10/2022 10:24 pm  #177

Free Quebec wrote:

I am a committed progressive and I think the idea of changing the name because people confuse it with a different word is the kind of thing that makes otherwise normal people think maybe it would be better to let the fascists take over than have a democracy that might allow those behind the name change to win elections. 

If we have to change Colonials, my cal suggestion is just to officially rename the team “Colonials (Not Colonists, dummy)”. 

They could call us the CNCDs if necessary.

I laughed out loud at this thank you

2/11/2022 9:27 am  #178

Totally on board with you Free!!Well done.Skittles too.

Last edited by GW69 (2/11/2022 9:28 am)

2/11/2022 9:52 am  #179

How smug do you have to be to call people "soft" who may think there could be a better school nickname than Colonials?  lmao

2/11/2022 9:52 am  #180

This name change thing is so stupid. The word Colonial is used all over the nation. A number of High School leagues in NJ use the word;  as well as the CAA in college basketball. Why do people have to be so divisive? However, haven't they always called us the "colonels" in many newspapers articles.? Yes, we should demote George Washington to Colonel. That will fix him.    

Board footera