GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/23/2026 2:35 pm  #1


Conference Schedules

It is hard to believe that it's September 23 and the A10 still has not released its conference schedule.  I am sure the delay is due to television...determining which conference games will fit into various networks' schedules.  However, opponents have been known for quite some time.  Looking strictly at home and home opponents and using the Blue Ribbon predicted standings as a point system, I set out to see which schools will have the easiest home and homes.  (This does NOT speak to a full conference schedule where we'd be looking at home and away opponents for schools who will only meet once as well.)  Here is an example using GW's home and home opponents:

Dayton                     Third place          3 points
George Mason         Fourth Place       4 points
La Salle                   14th place         14 points
Loyola                      10th Place        10 points
Richmond                Eighth Place       8 points

                                 Total                 39 points

From toughest home and homes top the easiest:

Loyola                27 (Davidson, Dayton, Duquesne, GW, St. Louis..just brutal for a team coming off a bad year)
Dayton               28
VCU                   30
SLU                   33
SBU                  34
GM                    36
La Salle             36
Richmond         38
GW                   39
SJU                   39
Davidson           44
Duquesne          44
URI                    47
Fordham            50 (Davidson, La Salle, URI, SBU and SJU)

FYI, GW will host Davidson, Fordham, URI and SBU while playing at Duquesne, SJU, SLU, and VCU.  So, a much more difficult road schedule than a home schedule in-conference.

 

9/28/2026 11:35 am  #2


Re: Conference Schedules

It will be October on Thursday and we still do not have a final schedule for the upcoming season.  We've seen many schedules announced in late August and early September.  The latest I can recall a final schedule being announced was around Sept. 20, give or take.  I realize this is all about shoving A10 games into available nationally televised holes but even with this wrinkle, shouldn't this be completed by now?

Can flex scheduling be far behind?

     •Thread Starter
 

9/28/2026 1:26 pm  #3


Re: Conference Schedules

It was supposed to be today but I guess there's a delay.  Total hunch but I wonder if they are waiting on Robbie Avila's eligibility lawsuit to see if he'll play for SLU and how that effects the Friday ESPN slate?

 

9/28/2026 1:32 pm  #4


Re: Conference Schedules

GW0509 wrote:

It was supposed to be today but I guess there's a delay.  Total hunch but I wonder if they are waiting on Robbie Avila's eligibility lawsuit to see if he'll play for SLU and how that effects the Friday ESPN slate?

I wouldn't think so.  SLU is projected to be a top 2 A10 team with or without Avila.

But I do think that ESPN plays into this delay.

     •Thread Starter
 

9/28/2026 4:06 pm  #5


Re: Conference Schedules

In the past, I would have blamed the incompetence of the A10/Linda Bruno, and I suspect some blame may lie there. But as others have mentioned, the likely culprit is television. As for "flex scheduling" it did wonders for the Pac 12, as its demise proved. Home gyms are now little more than TV studios for the event product with the ticket-buying customer getting about the same percentile of say as the gate revenue represents (which is to say not very much). 

 

9/28/2026 7:47 pm  #6


Re: Conference Schedules

simple programming principles

games scheduled between teams predicted to finish 1-4 should be Friday/Saturday and maybe Sunday games

rivalry games should be advertised as such and scheduled during the last weekend of the regular season

schedule the rest around minimizing student athlete travel times

and get rid of the unbalanced schedule;
replace it with a single round robin
then a 2-game series between 1, 2,3 - 4,5,6 - 7, 8,9, etc.
and end with the regular season with the rivalry game

 

9/29/2026 11:15 am  #7


Re: Conference Schedules

VCU 1/9 and @GMU on 2/6 are apparently "part of the ESPN Friday night package" although somehow we ended up with both Saturday games.

GMU on 1/18 (MLK game), SLU on 2/27, and @Dayton on 3/2 will be on CBSSN.

USA is carrying @St. Bona on 1/23, @Fordham on 1/30, and Loyola on 3/6.

https://gwsports.com/news/2026/9/29/mens-basketball-a10-schedule-revealed

 

9/29/2026 11:33 am  #8


Re: Conference Schedules

Why why WHY can´t they just do home games in ALL CAPS and road games with the @ in front of the team name? 

 

9/29/2026 12:00 pm  #9


Re: Conference Schedules

I was mistaken with the home/away splits.  So the home schedule will be more challenging (single games against SJU, VCU, Duquesne and SLU) and the road schedule is far more palatable (at Davidson, Fordham, URI and SBU).

This means the return of one Karl Hobbs to the Smith Center. (Feb. 3)

     •Thread Starter
 

Yesterday 8:34 am  #10


Re: Conference Schedules

The floor is 7-11.  The ceiling is 14-4.  My guess is around 11-7.

(Based of course on having never seen this team play, LOL).
 

     •Thread Starter
 

Yesterday 8:37 am  #11


Re: Conference Schedules

Gwmayhem wrote:

My guess is around 11-7.
 

Good call!  The Bart Torvik site has our predictions updated with the conference schedule and we're at 11-7.

https://barttorvik.com/team.php?team=George+Washington&year=2027

 

Yesterday 10:15 am  #12


Re: Conference Schedules

I blindfolded myself picked up a dart and threw it at a dartboard that had all the possible records. Came up with 12-6. Probably as reliable as any of Torvik's (or anyone else's) predictions at this point 

 

Board footera