GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/27/2019 9:34 pm  #21

Re: 2019 Kenner League

Thank you for that update, Chocolate thunder.   I will likely go to Sunday's games, as GW will be represented in all 4 games scheduled (although I will not stay for game #4, where the only Colonial will be Javy, as I am already familiar with his game).

Now for a trivia question.  Who was the original "Chocolate Thunder"?

7/28/2019 6:02 am  #22

Daryl Dawkins

7/28/2019 9:07 am  #23

Double D is correct.    One of the earliest players I can remember who went right from HS to NBA

7/28/2019 11:27 am  #24

Also responsible for the NBA going to breakaway rims after shattering two backboards during the '79 season.

https://youtu.be/O1J86HLTyiM

7/28/2019 12:04 pm  #25

Awaiting start of game 1.  Mezzie and Nelson both suited.   Mezzie showing nice 3,point shot in warmups.

7/28/2019 12:07 pm  #26

Looks like 6 on each side at tip-off so our guys should get lots of time.

7/28/2019 12:39 pm  #27

Half time.  Will write more later.  Clyde’s killing Higher Level. Opened up 15-0 lead, and game quickly became garbage time.  Some good by Nelson, but many issues too.  My notes use the word “wild a lot. A tad slow at the point.  On the positive, likes to rebound from the point and threw some nice passes.  Had him for 7 points. Talk Mezzie later

7/28/2019 1:10 pm  #28

Clyde's is one of the best teams in the Kenner League, they also have 2 athletic big men in Georgetown's Omer and George Mason's AJ Wilson, I assume Mezie is matched up with one of them since Mezie is sometimes the tallest guy on Higher Level. It will be interesting to see how he did against one or both of those guys

7/28/2019 4:19 pm  #30

Well if he can hit 7 threes who cares if he can play D

7/28/2019 9:04 pm  #31

OK...game one continued.  By my calculations, Nelson had 12 points, 1 made 3 and didn't shoot very well.    Most of his shots were of the Ill advised category.   Although he mostly played the point, he seems a step slow for that position, and the team did better with him at the 2 and someone else at the point.  Likewise, he was not quick enough to defend a fast player.  He was in love with the dribble   Turned the ball over too frequently and was selfish to the extent that some in the crowd yelled "pass the ball" to him.  On the positive, he looks like he has offensive skills, will crash the boards, and can throw a nice pass if he wants to do so. Bottom line is he looks like a good recruit who will need time to be coached and needs time to develop.  As for Mezzie,had hun for about 6 points and 6 rebounds, a couple of the viscious variety.   His shot is only meh, but he hustles and gets on the floor.  Not afraid to mix it up, and showed some decent interior defense.  As with Nelson, he has skills and looks like he could be a player once he is coached.   One of the mysteries of last season was why he rode the bench so much on a team so weak up front.  I think he will help.

7/28/2019 9:16 pm  #32

Now for game 2, which featured Chase Paar and Shawn Walker, again playing on a 6 man team that got blown out by about 40 (by a team with only 5 players).   With the standard Kenner game "disclaimer", Chase did not have a particularly good game.   In fact, if today was indicative of his play, he looks like he should be red shirted his freshman year to be allowed to physically develop.    Plain and simple, he needs to bulk up.  Many good qualities.  Looks like he was well coached and he is a hustler, but he is just not physically strong enough to play inside.  I would say that Javy is presently the superior player.  Had him for about 6 points (including one very impressive one handed slam off of an offensive rebound) and about 8 rebounds.   He would have had more points if he would just go straight up with the ball once he gets it down low.  Also not that good on boxing out on the defensive boards.    Had the ball stripped a couple of times after rebounding.   As with Nelson, I think he is a good recruit, but he needs to develop a D-1 game, mainly by getting stronger.  As for Shawn Walker, to me he looks a bit like Maceo Jack,his freshman year, both physically and in the type of game he brings to GW..  He is quick, but was also winded as the game progressed.  Opened the game with a very sweet looking 3 point shot, then scored only 4 m ore afterwards at the very end of the game, both on dunks (one uncontested, the other off of a nice fake).  I don't see him providing immediate help.

7/28/2019 9:22 pm  #33

As for game 3, this was to feature Jamison Battle and Maceo Jack, but only Jamison played.  Did not take notes during this game as I was chatting with a fellow GW fan throughout, and only stayed for the first half, as after 2.5 games, the bleachers were getting to my bad back and sore knees.   When I saw him earlier (the 2nd game of the Kenner League), I was underwhelmed.  Today I was more impressed.  He looks physically mature, played within himself, and although he did not score much the first half, I saw where DMV reported him hitting a bunch of 3s in a row.    Bottom line from what I saw of the new recruits (Nelson, Walker, Paar, Battle and I will throw sophmore Messie in the mix), is that this is a good class, but even with the return of Toro, I don't see us losing fewer than 20 or avoiding the conference tournament play in game.   But each of these players do bring some badly needed skills to the team, but I don't know if it will be enough to overcome the offense we lost with Nolan and DJ Williams.   

7/28/2019 10:35 pm  #34

Thanks for the info, this class is very raw, but I trust Jamion to coach them up to speed for the regular season. 

I disagree in your assessment of how the team will play this season though. We might have lost DJ and Terry, but they didn't want to be here (it showed halfway through the year) and to me we are subtracting so that we can add. 

A lot of the games we lost last year I put down to poor coaching (blowing a 25 point lead to SB in the opener comes to mind) and we will absolutely have improved in that aspect with Jamion. 

The team will no doubt have its struggles, but I realistically see us with around 15 (give or take a game or two).

7/29/2019 8:28 am  #35

I agree with Chocolatethunder2021 about the losses of Terry Nolan and DJ(to a lesser extent) being an addition by subtraction scenario because both of them did not seem fully engaged last season. At least this season, GW will have a team full of guys who are All In!! Also, if Amir Harris is eligible this year, that should provide a huge boost, I think A.Harris can be a 1st Team All-A10/Player of the Year type for GW as soon as he's eligible. 

About the weekend performances at the Kenner League, I'd be encouraged by Jamison Battle knocking down seven 3's. He didn't do much when I watched him, but that could have been due to lack of opportunity more than his talent level. The same applies to Chase Paar and Shane Walker. I wouldn't totally rule them out as contributors as freshmen

LSF, I agree that Chase Paar needs to be more aggressive when he gets the ball down low. Georgetown has an incoming freshman big man who has that same problem, but I think it can be solved with coaching. I guess for most big men its quite an adjustment when you are being guarded by stronger and quicker players, even in the Kenner League. Paar can no longer just get the ball in the post, raise his arms and score without much resistance. 

About Jameer and Mezie, Higher Level has been getting blown out in their recent games which may have contributed to the uneven play LSF saw yesterday. I think offensive ability that Jameer and Mezie have shown in these Kenner League games can translate to the season. Mezie has also had to guard Power Forwards/Centers in the Kenner League which should also help him when the season starts 

7/29/2019 8:33 am  #36

Thanks for the report, LSF.  Just goes to show what a 1 game summer league sample size can mean, since Jameer Jr looked like a strong contender for A-10 rookie of the year and an instant starter in the game I attended a couple of weeks ago.

7/29/2019 9:33 am  #37

Saw the same game as FQ and reached the same conclusion on Jameer.  Paar also looked great for a frosh with good footwork, vision and very disruptive around the basket with his length.  On the other hand, Battle was all over the place with his shots so seven makes is a positive surprise.

7/29/2019 9:45 am  #38

Kenner league is what it is.   I remember seeing Pato prior to his frosh year play in the league and thinking "not much".  And we all were worried that Marfo would leave GW after his freshman year to become a sure first rounder in the NBA draft.  Guess those assessments were not very accurate, just as I suspect my current assessment are likewise not so reliable.   Further, I also got to see the rookie of the year contender Nelson the first week of the Kenner League.  Another FWIW...the games yesterday seemed a lot more rag tag (meaning pick up game quality)  than the first week.  But there are observations that can be made that I think will translate into reality.   There is no question that Paar has to bulk up.   To me (at least) there is no question that at least at this point, Nelson is a "2" rather than a "1", and that he is a strong kid who likes to rebound.   Mezzie likewise likes to mix it up.   The underlying talent is there, now it is about coaching and player development.  As for my comments about being a 20 loss team once again, I did not mean to imply that we are not better off in the long run with the unhappy transfers leaving in return for frosh with potential, but I am sorry...I am just not seeing us able to make up for the loss of a 3rd year Nolan or a 5th year DJ Williams.   For whatever issues they had, they certainly would have been 2 of the 4 best players on the team next season had they stayed.   The only more valuble players I saw on the team are the returning Toro and perhaps Maceo, who improved by leaps and bounds last season and who I see having all conference potential.   (is my old memory a bit foggy, or did Maceo start last season coming off the bench?).  Otherwise, I am in agreement with all that has been said.

7/29/2019 9:47 am  #39

Thomas...as far as Amir Harris, if the news was good, I would think we would have heard something by now.  Its July 29th,.   

7/31/2019 8:51 pm  #40

Playoff schedule is out. 8 of the 9 teams qualified, with only The Tombs failing to make the cut. The quarterfinal games start tomorrow, the semifinals will be on Saturday, and the championship will be Sunday. 

THURSDAY AUGUST 1ST
8:00PM: #1 CLYDE’S vs. #8 DARREN MCCLINTON ALL-STARS (Chase Paar & Shawn Walker Jr.)
9:20PM: #4 ON POINT (Maceo Jack & Jamison Battle) vs. #5 HOOP MAGIC (Javier Langarica)

FRIDAY AUGUST 2ND
8:00PM: #2 HOYA BLUE vs. #7 HIGHER LEVEL (Mezie Offurum & Jameer Nelson Jr.)
9:20PM: #3 P.A.P.A vs. #6 A. WASH & ASSOCIATES

Last edited by dmvpiranha (7/31/2019 8:52 pm)

Board footera