GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/01/2019 7:50 pm  #41

Re: 2019 Kenner League

I'm not at the game but looking at the Kenner League's twitter, Chase Paar and Shawn Walker Jr. are playing for Darren McClinton All-Stars, they posted a video of S.Walker going for a dunk and getting blocked or maybe fouled. It doesn't look like Virginia PF/C Jay Huff is playing for Darren McClinton All-Stars, but they did add another 7-footer in highly touted/ top 50 DeMatha SR Hunter Dickinson. Darren McClinton All-Stars also added PG Dug McDaniel, who is actually a rising sophomore at Paul VI HS. I believe GW offered him before he played a game as a freshman this past season, but it looks like he'll be out of reach for GW very soon. 

https://twitter.com/KennerLeague/status/1157086675698405377   this is the Shawn Walker video

8/01/2019 8:31 pm  #42

Chase swats a driving attempt at the rim

Unfortunately, Chase and Shawn's team fell in a blowout. They were the lowest seed to qualify so I guess it was expected. Nice to see them get playing time still despite a couple of new players seemingly suiting up just for this game. I get that Kenner is somewhat pickup, but I think during the playoff games they should not allow new players to join because it's somewhat unfair to the guys that have appeared in most of the games and led their team to the playoffs (unless of course the team is short on players). Maybe only I feel that way.

In game 2, Jamison and Maceo's On Point team held on for a 85-83 victory against Javier's Hoop Magic squad. They will face the top seed Clyde's Saturday at 2.

Other GW related tweets (without video):
Shawn had a dunk
Chase had a layup
Jamison continuing to shoot lights out
Jamison hits a 3 to bring On Point within 4
Jamison connects on another 3
Javier scores a layup to bring Hoop Magic within 4

Last edited by dmvpiranha (8/03/2019 1:09 pm)

8/01/2019 8:53 pm  #43

dmvpiranha wrote:

Chase swats a driving attempt at the rim

Unfortunately, Chase and Shawn's team fell in a blowout. They were the lowest seed to qualify so I guess it was expected. Nice to see them get playing time still despite a couple of new players seemingly suiting up just for this game. I get that Kenner is somewhat pickup, but I think during the playoff games they should not allow new players to join because it's somewhat unfair to the guys that have appeared in most of the games and led their team to the playoffs (unless of course the team is short on players). Maybe only I feel that way.

Darren McClinton All-Stars also added DeMatha grad/NBA player/Son of former NBA player Harvey, Jerami Grant tonight. It looks like a lot of teams are bringing in guys just for the playoffs. I agree about it not being fair for teams to bring in guys just for the playoffs, unless they don't have enough players or there is a local college player who has been taking summer classes and just arrived back in the area.  

8/02/2019 7:20 pm  #44

Day 2

Jameer attacks the basket and finishes with a dunk

Unfortunately, Jameer and Mezie's Higher Level team fell in a close one to Hoya Blue despite leading most of the way. The lone team with GW players remaining, On Point, will face top seed Clyde's in the semifinals tomorrow at 2.

Playoffs Day 3

Jamison hits a 3 late in the game

Unfortunately, On Point fell 91-76 to Clyde's.

Last edited by dmvpiranha (8/03/2019 2:26 pm)

8/07/2019 10:38 am  #45

Thought I would attempt a Kenner wrap-up based largely on the comments of fellow posters.  It is a shame that more of our guys did not play.  The two main reasons why this typically happens are due to injury or injury prevention and academics.  Starting with the breakout player:

Jameer Nelson Jr.    Jameer showed quite a bit particularly early on in the Kenner season.  He had a late game block and a late game steal to preserve his team's first two victories.  He displayed a respectable three point shot.  He is a big-bodied 6' 1" player, along the lines of a Chris Monroe (though unlikely to play as physical as Chris).  As the Kenner season progressed, Meer received more buzz and more attention from opponents.  Plus, his matchups got tougher.  His performance clearly went down during several games.  What we should take from this is that his minutes will be earned as Meer can really play.  It's difficult for me to see him being handed the keys to the kingdom right off the bat, as in be GW's starting point guard from Day 1, but stranger things have happened.  He certainly should contribute in a big way from Day 1.

Chase Paar/Shane Walker Jr.:  GW fans are likely well within their rights to ask whether Chase is next in the line of the Paris Maragkos, Matt Cimino, Collin Goss mold, big guys who are capable outside shooters but who could not earn substantial minutes, or does the line Chase belongs on include Kevin Larsen and Collin Smith?  Along with Shawn Walker Jr., Chase had the misfortune (with respect to playing time) of playing on a Kenner team that featured UVA big man Jay Huff, one time GW target Casey Morsell, Syracuse's Frank Howard, and Maryland's Aaron Wiggins (plus another Terp who I am forgetting).  While this meant limited playing time for Paar and Walker, there were enough glimpses of Paar in particular to see that he has a very quick release on his outside shot but may have challenges playing down low (if in fact he is even asked to do this).  As for Shane, the grade has to be incomplete.  He has good size for someone who can handle the ball well, but it's impossible to project any level of expectation in Year 1 (at least for me anyway).

Jamison Battle:  As Jameer's performances came down to earth over the course of the Kenner season, Jamison's went in the opposite direction.  Early on, he appeared very content to position himself for a corner three point shot and did very little else.  Those early season shots were not falling but like any good shooter, he kept at it until they did.  Suddenly, he was draining 7 3's in a Kenner game and his newfound confidence started impacting his overall game.  It would be easy to chalk this up to early season jitters (not that Kenner means all that much but to an incoming freshman, it does mean playing with and against a much higher level of competition than ever before).  Hopefully, the confident Battle shows up when the games count for real.

Mezie Offurum:  In last season's opener, Mezie had a more than respectable game while DJ served a one game suspension.  Thereafter DJ consumed many of the small forward minutes while Mezie was relegated to yo-yo status.  Come into the game, make a shot, turn the ball over, sit down for the night.  Perhaps more than anyone, Mezie represented the best example of playing your young players and getting them experience if you're not going to win anyhow.  Coaches, particularly those on the hot seat, don't necessarily think this way.  So, Kenner Mezie looked quite a bit like last year's Kenner Mezie.  Very capable scorer.  Can provide some defensive grit.  Sees the court well.  But,a bit too careless with the ball.  And, not always the wisest shot selection (though this is Kenner).  Since we're always forced to take the bad with the good, Mezie really needs to find ways to reduce the bad.  The good, is pretty damn good.

Javier Langarica.  Javier looked like a completely different player than last year during Kenner.  While his foot speed could stand some improvement, he has a real knack for blocking shots from behind.  He also showed a willingness to try inside moves on some of Georgetown's big men.  And despite last year's numbers, he is a capable three point shooter.  I do think that Javier's role on this team ought to be that of a backup center, playing between 10-20 minutes a game based on foul trouble and other circumstances. 

Maceo Jack.  The up and down fast-paced Kenner style is perfectly suited for Maceo (as will the Jamion Christian style should the team play at a pace that better resembles JC-coached Mt. St. Mary's than JC-coached  Siena).  Am unsure whether last year's team had an awards ceremony or not but Maceo vs. Javier would have been a great race for Most Improved Player.  Maceo has become far more than a designated outside shooter.  He drives with aggressiveness and needs to get fouled more often since he's a great FT shooter.  He is enthusiastic and confident.  Kenner did not hinder his progress at all.

8/08/2019 10:13 am  #46

The players who I think should be evaluated/tracked the most when it comes to the Kenner League are incoming freshman, transfers and returning players who didn't get a lot of minutes/didn't show much the previous year, so my opinion isn't going to change that much on Maceo Jack and Javi because they proved themselves on the court last year for GW. I know some of you aren't that high on Javi's play last year, but he did show he could rebound, hit 3's and was a decent defender. I mean, we weren't thinking, "Javy may need to transfer to Delaware or American U" when he was on the court, or I don't think any of you were thinking that. LOL

I agree with GWMayem's evaluation of the GW's "unknowns" who played in the Kenner League. Anthony Cowan was the other Maryland player on Chase Paar and Shawn Walker's team, and it was hard to get a read on both players because of the talent level of their teammates, they didn't get a lot of opportunities in most games, so it's possible that 1 or both of them could be very good as freshman. I remember a similar scenario happened like this in the Kenner League for Kethan Savage before his breakout sophomore year for GW. 

As for the other 3 players, Mezie, Jameer Nelson Jr. and Jamison Battle, it may be an encouraging sign that all of them had very good performances in the Kenner League playing with and against great talent. I don't think GW needs Jameer Nelson Jr. to be the starter from day 1, he may be able to make big contributions of the bench playing both guard spots. Mezie is the one who I am hoping is good enough to be a starter from day 1 at small forward because GW could improve significantly if Mezie becomes a double-digit scorer. Battle's 3-point seemed to come out of nowhere, the first couple games I saw of him weren't good. I'll admit to being discouraged at his prospects of ever becoming a contributor for GW, but his size(6-6??) and tremendous 3-point shooting indicate that he can be very good down the road.   

Board footera