GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/20/2020 7:52 am  #1

How Long Until We Are Back.

An interesting article, shared with me by my good friend WIsconsin Colonial.   
I don't think most are going to like the answer.
https://www.a10talk.com/how-long-until-were-back-george-washington/

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (1/20/2020 7:57 am)

1/20/2020 8:58 am  #2

Re: How Long Until We Are Back.

Cannot say I disagree (although I was a student during the 1-27 season so being "back" is actually not something I aspire to, if we are going to split linguistic hairs here). Of course, the erratic world of transfers could speed up or delay the timeframe and is an unpredictable element to be taken in to consideration. Not to put any pressure on him, but if Paar continues on his upward curve of improvement, this team could be much better quickly with both inside and outside scoring threats. Otherwise, patience and appreciation for the little things will make life much easier for those of us in the stands.

1/20/2020 9:08 am  #3

I was going to post on the Mass Game thread, but this is a great article give the prescient nature of the content. 

We have all been pushing for a good coach again. Measure of good coaching is when your team and especially the guards can feel where the game is going. The coach has to get that across. There are times where you have to make a  point to carefully reset the office and not just chuck up an unadvised shot. Work for a layup. We saw that a couple ties against Mass.

Chrstiian has been oussig our best shooter to focus on D. Against Mass, Battle and Paar took care of the inside and, combined for just more than 10 points, but tied up Mass' two best defenders.

Also there is a stat that I thnk has been overlooked, we had no Blocks. The focus on the game seem to be to maintain good positioning--stay on the floor and contest a shot--but above, keep your man off the offensive glass.  It makes no sense to try to block every shot and give up multiple putbacks. 

We have decided to stop forcing up our own second chances and a couple times and found an open shooter on the arc.

I also lie the fact that Christian keeps our other shooters putting up 3s. Maceo's shooting but Jrs' two 3s where daggers. With that, the coach also supports Paar . Jack and Battle taking open shots with the arc.

I also like the end of the first half. We ran the clock down and got 2!!! Then, pressed the inbound play and got a steal and a last second attempt for 3! Brilliant.

I have to say that I am getting the same feeling that I got at abut the same point of the season with Pops' crew and also Pato's. This could get great.

ps. Harris has been a huge addition. His minutes where a big help. When he is healthy he is a plus.

Last edited by russianthistle (1/20/2020 9:14 am)

1/20/2020 9:22 am  #4

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

Not to put any pressure on him, but if Paar continues on his upward curve of improvement, this team could be much better quickly with both inside and outside scoring threats.

GWAA, I watching Paar this summer playing on the Gtown campus, the part of his game that is improving the most rapidly is D. This summer he bit on every upfake. What we did learn this summer is that he can shot from outside. He seems to be a good match for this coaching staff. Makes you wonder what we will see when Noel Brown steps on campus

Last edited by russianthistle (1/20/2020 9:28 am)

1/20/2020 11:22 am  #5

Disagree with the article for the this one fundamental premise ... it is not only relevant how good GW becomes but how good the rest of the league is when determining NCAA tournament prospects. GW's growth does not happen in a vacuum. For this reason, we could be closer or further away than we think. 

To me, this is why these articles are nonsense. There are two variables at play neither of which anyone knows the answers to. I could write an article saying we are year away (or 5 years away) and it would be no more less valid.

Enjoy the process. We will be good when we are ready to be good - and that's on nobody's timetable.

1/20/2020 1:30 pm  #6

Agree with GWRising. I do appreciate the author for even releasing a piece on GW though - A10talk seems to shun us! I know we're bad, but they only cover a small section of teams.

He released a similar piece on St. Joe's today, and actually said that they would be relevant again before us. Not sure I agree with that. It seems like he's putting a ton of weight on the transfers of Bishop and Foster based on their HS rankings and schools they transferred from. Obviously SJU didn't go through what we did a few years ago, but Martelli's departure definitely left the cupboard bare. I would take our current freshmen over theirs. Ryan Daly is a lot of fun to watch though, and hoping a guy like Lincoln Ball can become that guy for us long-term.

As for our getting back to the postseason, it will be dependent on the frontcourt. I think if JNJ can continue to cut down on the turnovers and make sound decisions with the ball he and Amir (as long as he stays healthy) can make a good tandem in the backcourt and Tyler Brelsford looks like a really good piece moving forward as well.

Assuming AT is moving on next year, our frontcourt will consist of Javier (he'll probably be back healthy by next season), Ace (both seniors), Chase, Hunter, and Noel. Javier and Ace are solid backups who can give us minutes here and there. Chase will continue to start and hopefully will make a sophomore jump. Not sure what we can get from Hunter midseason - he had good scoring and rebounding stats from HS in Louisiana, but may have not been a good fit in Southern Miss under a coach he didn't originally sign up to play for. Noel is the most interesting piece, based on his size and potential as a rim protector and scorer. He has had 40+ point performances multiple times in HS, and I think with some development he can emerge as one the best A10 bigs down the line. If he can bring that, we can certainly contend with our improved shooting coming in. Probably a conversation we'll have again in the offseason.

In the short-term though, I'm willing to wait and have been pleased with our progression (in a lot of ways, the team has actually surpassed my low expectations of just remaining competitive!) The fact that we are starting three freshmen and all four have had starting experience this year bodes well for the future.

1/20/2020 3:28 pm  #7

The article makes a very important point about the possibility of losing Nelson and Battle. If they keep improving, I believe Power 5 schools will be coming after them. It makes sense that Nelson and Battle will want to play for schools competing for NCAA berths. We have to make big strides next season. GW's return to prominence will all be about Christian's ability to recruit and improve the players we have. We need recruits who will be good enough to be strong candidates to be first team all-A10. Christian will have openings for scholarships. No one should be surprised to see Walker, Offurum, Toro and Langarica gone after this season. 

1/20/2020 4:06 pm  #8

I don't see any of our first year players leaving.-- right now I put this team as it is playing right now about 5-8 best in A10. Assuming as next year shapes up like it looks like on paper,  I see few folks walking. I also thnk that this team will keep ramping up the D and bringing more pressure. 

1/21/2020 8:16 am  #9

That article reads like it was written by someone who looks at stats, but doesn’t actually watch our games or truly understand what the team or JC are doing.   I don’t think he really knows anything about Harris or Paar beyond stats, and probably not much about anyone else beyond state (not to mention, no one who genuinely follows our team would write that ML destroyed the program’s reputation).

It doesn’t take a genius to predict a new coach will have a program back in year 4, so no issue with the bottom line prediction, but there’s really nothing in te article that makes me think the kid knows much about Gw that he can’t get off a stat sheet.

1/21/2020 11:05 am  #10

The criticisms of this article are all well-founded.  I get that we all watch nearly every play of every game whereas any writer will not be as knowledgeable about the team.  Still, to make statements like Chase Paar doesn't play a lot when it's obvious to us that his playing time is very much on the upswing, or that Sloan will have two years of eligibility left when he will have three, or that Lonergan destroyed the reputation of this program (which really should never be written without Nero's name appearing in the same paragraph) or that GW should be commended for giving MoJo 3 years (why exactly?  This held back our rebuild by two full years) all speaks to a lack of knowledge and insight concerning this program.   

I was also taken a back by the notion that Battle and Nelson may leave.  Guess what?  Every player at every school,with remaining eligibility MAY leave.  I have said from Day 1 that as long as Martelli stays at Michigan, you'd have to keep your eye on JNJ leaving for Ann Arbor.  This is a reality of the sport.  But the counterargument is that if JC is turning this program around the right way, and these two players are an important part of this turnaround, and if they really enjoy life at GW, why would they want to leave.  Check out the article in The Hatchet on these two freshmen roommates and let me know if you think either or both is transferring out of the program after this season.

1/21/2020 11:31 am  #11

Agree that we'll have to keep an eye on JNJ possibly leaving. I don't think Battle is a risk though. He's looking more and more like he's going to be the guy on a team that's on the rise, and he's playing in a system that's perfect for his skillset. While anything is possible, I don't see him leaving a situation like this and sitting out a year as a transfer somewhere else.

1/22/2020 5:12 pm  #12

Funny, when I ready LSF say people won't like the answer I was dreading reading the article but I actually really like the answer! Been sort of checked out with the team as I moved right as everything was falling apart but mentally have been reengaging under the premise that if this Battle/Nelson/Paar group as Seniors was similar to the TJ/Tamal class that was like the transition to the good years that is the best case scenario. So hopefully dude is right. 

Last edited by Tim04 (1/22/2020 5:14 pm)

Board footera