GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/02/2021 10:51 am  #41

Re: Alumni Update

Good post FQ, spot on.

3/02/2021 11:51 am  #42

To bring this thread back to what it is supposed to be about (GW grads playing in the pros), Pato´s Zalgiris Kaunas (still without Garino due to recovery from surgery) play ASVEL Villeurbane, where for many years the team was led by one Shawnta Rogers. Game starts at 1pm Eastern today.

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (3/02/2021 11:51 am)

3/02/2021 12:02 pm  #43

I seem to recall that when Shawnta was in France and at the top of his career, he made about $1M per season. I thinks low-to-mid hundreds of thousands is more the going rate.

3/02/2021 12:09 pm  #44

This may be a useful link:  
[url=https://europrobasket.com/overseas-basketball-salaries/#:~:text=Overseas%20Basketball%20Salaries%20by%20Country%20%E2%80%93%20Complete%20Table,%20%203.7m/season%20%2034%20more%20rows]Overseas Basketball Salaries | Earnings by Country (europrobasket.com)[/url]

3/02/2021 12:23 pm  #45

The fluctuations of the Euro can have a big impact, when Shawnta was in France the Euro was akin to the Mexican Peso (OK, not that bad but decision to keep the Pound looked good at the time) so he probably made less than US$1 million. But a full career in Europe can be much more lucrative than the D-League or a year at the end of the bench in the NBA. Now, the guys bouncing around the leagues in Indonesia, Mexico and Egypt (among others) are lucky to be able to make ends meet.

3/02/2021 3:08 pm  #46

GWAA do you manage to watch these games, and if so, how?

3/02/2021 3:26 pm  #47

BC wrote:

GWAA do you manage to watch these games, and if so, how?

Some are available via legit streaming services, depending on your location (Movistar offers some where I am, for example; I think FloSports has the rights for the US). Almost all are available via pirate sites for free, just have your anti-virus up to date, do NOT click any links and clean your cookies after the game or you will regret it. Using the pirate sites might not be 100% legal if you are in the USA.

3/02/2021 5:48 pm  #48

Good to hear about Shawnta, I've wondered about the salaries.

3/02/2021 7:28 pm  #49

Thanks GWAA, but I think I'll forego those risks - I'm too old to lean those new tricks.  Fubo will have to do.

3/02/2021 7:51 pm  #50

Mike Hall has mentioned it in the past on Twitter but another thing some guys have to look out for is the stinginess of the Euro owners.  Whether it be game checks or some of the off the court perks like housing, sometimes you don't get everything you're sold when signing up to play overseas.

3/05/2021 3:53 pm  #51

Not alum, but ex-assistant coach...

Jeff Goodman@GoodmanHoops Central Connecticut has parted ways with Donyell Marshall, source told @Stadium.

Last edited by BM (3/05/2021 4:51 pm)

3/26/2021 3:07 pm  #52

After being out for about 5 months (was originally suppose to be six weeks), Pato Garino finally got back into action this week for Zalgiris. 

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/others/1185379/patricio-garino-back-for-zalgiris-in-win/

He's going to have to work his way back into game shape, and I hope this means he'll get another chance in the Tokyo Olympics. It's not clear whether the down time affects his chances of making the Argentinian team, but there's no one else you'd want to root for more.

4/09/2021 4:02 pm  #53

Both TT & Cavanaugh's team advance to the next round of the Basketball Champion's league.  TT had 30 points and seven assists in the last game to squeeze in his team.

4/15/2021 1:14 pm  #54

Woes continue for Pato. He has tested positive for Covid-19. You have to feel for him as he had just completed a long and tough rehab, and was just rounding into playing shape. Hopefully, he's back on the court soon.

4/17/2021 5:41 pm  #55

Tyler Cavanaugh and his Tenerife team take on mid-table Unicaja at a fan-friendly 3pm Eastern tipoff on Sunday. A win basically wraps up third place for Tenerife while Unicaja is hope to stay in the race for the last playoff spot. Tyler starts, but was unproductive last time out so we shall see what Tenerife´s lineup looks like.

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (4/17/2021 5:44 pm)

5/02/2021 2:52 pm  #56

Cavanaugh hit a trey late in the third to bring Tenerife to within 3 points, and then Tenerife packed it in a slumped to a rather meaningless30+-point loss to Melo Trimble´s Fuenlabrada. Up next is the Champions Cup (which is the second-tier competition) quarterfinal against Strasbourg and their Mike Brey-product Bonzie Colson. That game is May 6 at 11am Eastern.
Cavs still starts but does not see much time on the court and is barely a part of the offense. Then again, with third place basically clinched there is not much need for him to spend loads of time on the court in domestic games.

5/06/2021 11:14 am  #57

Tyler was a DNP and Strasbourg came back to beat Tenerife 88-86 in OT in the Basketball Champions League quarterfinal. Announcers speculated Cavanaugh may have been sitting out to save him for the later games; one assumes the first question the coach took in the post-game presser was about that. These games are available for free on the BCL´s YouTube channel. Strasbourg have Bonzie Colson (Notre Dame) and Isiah Wainright (Baylor and Buffalo Bills).

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (5/06/2021 2:36 pm)

5/09/2021 10:15 am  #58

Tony Taylor in the Championship game against Burgos (Mike Hall plays for the other Burgos team).  Game at 1pm EDT.  You can probably stream on some unsavory sites.

5/10/2021 7:52 pm  #59

After opting out of last season and winning the EuroLeague title last month, Jonquel Jones has confirmed her return to the WNBA, where she will be playing for the team ex-GW coach Jennifer Rizzoti presides. Season starts this weekend...

https://www.wnba.com/news/2021-wnba-team-preview-connecticut-sun/

5/13/2021 8:26 am  #60

Board footera