GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/01/2020 8:15 pm  #1

GW @ Bonnies Game Thread

Back on the road vs The Bonnies.

The 14-8 Bonnies on the road will be a stiff test!

The Gents will look to back bounce back, and try to make it 5 wins in the last 7.  

2/02/2020 7:24 pm  #2

Re: GW @ Bonnies Game Thread

St Bona, KenPom #119

2/03/2020 11:25 pm  #3

Full preview can be found here

St. Bonaventure has gone 5-3 since they won in Foggy Bottom, with wins against George Mason by 12 (road), Fordham by 20 (home), UMass by 13 (neutral), Fordham by 7 (road), and George Mason by 9 (home). Bona has one of the easiest schedules in the A10, and all their wins so far have been against the bottom of the league. Their win against us actually might be their best win. They lost against VCU by 28 (road), Dayton by 26 (road), and Rhode Island by 6 (home). The Bonnies are undefeated in conference play when Osunniyi plays, and winless when he doesn't.

I assume we go into this one with a greater focus on Osunniyi after the previous game he had against us (probably double teaming him at times in the post). Chase has definitely grown quite a bit since that last game, and having AT in the fold should help provide backup support. The Bonnies will benefit having Jaren English in the contest after he missed the previous matchup with an illness. English is their best shooter in terms of field goal percentage this season at 47.9%. Expect Dominick Welch to play angry as well after he went scoreless on seven shots from the field. I would hope JNJ has a better game after going 0-2 from the field in just 12 minutes of play.

Team Conference Play Stats
Scoring Offense - 67.1 ppg (10th)
Scoring Defense - 66.4 ppg (6th)
Field Goal Percentage - 43% (8th)
Field Goal Percentage Defense - 42.2% (7th)
Three Point Field Goal Percentage - 32.5% (9th)
Three Point Field Goal Percentage Defense - 33.9% (8th)
Free Throw Percentage - 72.1% (4th)
Free Throw Percentage Defense - 67.9% (5th)
Rebounding - 37 per game (5th)
Rebounding against - 32.2 per game (1st)
Offensive Rebounding - 10.6 per game (6th)
Defensive Rebounding - 26.4 per game (7th)
Rebounding Margin - +4.8 (2nd)
Turnover Margin - +0.33 (7th)
Assist Turnover Ratio - 1.14 (5th)
Blocked Shots - 3.22 per game (10th)
Assists - 12.78 per game (10th)
Steals - 6.44 per game (9th)
Attendance - 4,922 per game (6th)

Green = strength, Red = weakness, Black = neutral

Not a whole lot to take away from here. Bona is usually good at winning the rebounding battle, and converting at the line. Blocked shots is probably more of a strength when Osunniyi is in. Surprised that assists are low when you have a guard like Lofton, but like our team, the lead guard dominates most of the assists so I guess that's not out of the ordinary in the PnR scheme. 

Individual Conference Play Stats
Kyle Lofton is 17th in scoring at 13.8 ppg, while Jaren English is 23rd at 12.9 ppg.
Dominick Welch is 9th in rebounding at 7.9 ppg.
Jaren English is 15th in field goal percentage at 49.2%. Kyle Lofton is 13th in three point percentage at 38.5%.
Kyle Lofton is 10th in free throw percentage at 80%, while Jaren English is 21st at 74.2%.
Dominick Welch is 18th in three point field goals per game at 1.8.
Kyle Lofton is 3rd in assists per game at 5.7, and fifth in assist/turnover ratio at 2.1. He is also 11th in steals per game at 1.6. Lofton sees 38.4 minutes a game, good for 4th in conference. His teammate Dominick Welch is 12th at 35.4 mpg.
Osunniyi hasn't seen enough action to qualify I guess due to injury.

Predicted Score: St. Bonaventure 70, GW 62. 20% chance to win (Bart Torvik). ESPN gives us an 18% chance to win. Hope the team comes back with good energy after the last one.

2/04/2020 11:10 pm  #4

9.5 point dog.  As with Richmond, with Potter we cover, without him, we could again be in trouble for another ugly loss.  There is much to be said for senior leadership.

2/05/2020 12:08 am  #5

Game is listed as being on "Stadium TV".   Doesn't look like it iis on Fios, but there appears to be a link on the Official Site.    Any additional information on how to watch?

2/05/2020 7:36 am  #6

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

Game is listed as being on "Stadium TV".   Doesn't look like it iis on Fios, but there appears to be a link on the Official Site.    Any additional information on how to watch?

It’s going to be broadcast on cable on MASN. Stadium is a streaming platform so you should be able to watch it online here: https://watchstadium.com/live/george-washington-at-st-bonaventure/

2/05/2020 10:12 am  #7

GW has only won once in the last 5 meetings and have not won in Olean since their last NCAA tournament appearance (the game where we truly wished that Kethan hadn't been out there during the game's final seconds).  Bonnies have won 13 of 17 after a mysterious 1-4 start (with the win coming against a rejuvenated Rutgers squad).  In conference, they have lost to who you'd expect and have beaten who you'd expect.  They still have 2 meetings to go with St. Joe's, two to go with a "back down to earth" Duquesne, and a game at La Salle.  If you're wondering who lands the double bye along with Dayton, URI and VCU, the Bonnies are as good a candidate as any largely due to their favorable unbalanced schedule.

This will JC's first GW game going against an opponent for the second time in a season.  In the first meeting, Chase played 13 minutes and AT logged 26.  It will be interesting to see whether the team is better prepared to contain Osunniyi who had 20 points on 8-8 shooting, many on dunks.  can't count on Welch going 0-7 again but at the same time, better attention must be paid to Planutis and Johnson who combined for 25 points off of the bench on 11-16 shooting.  Finally, Kyle Lofton is the engine that makes them go and I would venture to say is a top 3 point guard in the A10.  He played all 40 minutes in DC, scoring 17 and handing out 8 assists.  Am hopeful we saw enough things on film that can be corrected.

9 1/2 is a good line but I think GW has a better than 50-50 chance of keeping things within single digits.  They have to get Saturday's performance out of their minds.  If Armel is out, I am less concerned about missing his points (others will pick up the slack) than I am of the ball flowing freely in the offense (or whatever the opposite of stagnating is).  It will largely be up to JNJ and Amir to get others involved while being aggressive when good opportunities present themselves.  Am thinking 70-63 Bonnies.

2/05/2020 11:36 am  #8

It wasn't just the stats that we missed with Armel...it was his leadership.   We had no one to steady to ship once Richmond started to pour it on.  Unrealistic to think that would come from the frosh or even Harris, and the two upper classman that played, Maceo and Toro, are solid players but do not appear to be leaders on the court.  I hope you are right about our being able to keep it close, Mayhem, but I am very concerned that by the second half, I may be switching to King of Queens reruns.

2/05/2020 12:40 pm  #9

LSF, I'll maintain that there is absolutely nothing to be gleaned, learned, or otherwise ascertained from the Richmond game.  With Armel, the outcome would have been the same.  With Tyler Cavanaugh, the outcome would have been the same.  The team played 4 OT's on Wednesday night.  They won, which took some of that "desperate edge" off their next game.  I'd be amazed if they had a full scale practice on Thursday.  They had to travel to Richmond on Friday.  And then play a good team who had lost two in a row to two better teams.  

My point is that this team should not be judged based on the Richmond game.  Now, if they look rudderless, unprepared, or lacking in energy tonight, then we should rightfully discuss life without Armel.

2/05/2020 7:03 pm  #10

anybody find the stats for todays game?

2/05/2020 7:09 pm  #11

Harris=one man wrecking crew.  3 possessions,2 missed bad shots and a turnover

2/05/2020 7:10 pm  #12

Amir Harris having a tough start to the game. 

2/05/2020 7:12 pm  #13

Merecifully, coach gets Harris out quickly before he can do any more damage.

2/05/2020 7:22 pm  #14

My goodness, that block by Stallings.

2/05/2020 7:22 pm  #15

Offense flowing much better with Walker rather than Harris at the point.   Walker playing great, seeing the court well and getting team involved in the offensive flow.

2/05/2020 7:22 pm  #16

Like this a lot better.
Need to give Maceo and hopefully Jamison shots while they're hot.
Also don't forget Adam, which we always do.
Could use AT inside

2/05/2020 7:25 pm  #17

Maybe AT with Ace.
Reverse laterals may not be the best way to score.

2/05/2020 7:27 pm  #18

Does coach really think we are a better team with Stallings in the game rather than Toro?  If he does, that kinda scares me.

2/05/2020 7:27 pm  #19

Considering how this game started out, I'm impressed the team got it back to within one.

2/05/2020 7:33 pm  #20

Getting killed in the paint, as expected. Was not expecting to get beat on drives so easily.

Board footera