GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/26/2021 7:35 pm  #81

Re: Jameer Nelson Jr

JNJ is the third Colonial to transfer to Delaware in the last few years (Bryant, Goss, JNJ). Unclear if the GW->Del or GW->Butler pipeline is stronger. 

1/26/2021 8:28 pm  #82

Congratulations to Jameer! I wish him great success (except when he plays against us!!!)!!!

1/26/2021 8:42 pm  #83

Would think higher level,but really close to home and not so many choices midseason.
Certainly wish Jameer success,but hope he doesn't have a Goss-like performance against us.

1/26/2021 10:17 pm  #84

jf, I thought Jameer showed enough during his freshman year to transfer up. I was curious to see what schools were looking at him, but we never got an update on his list of schools, he only announced his decision. He should do very well at Delaware. 

GW18,  Delaware must have an assistant who closely monitors GW!! LOL

1/26/2021 10:36 pm  #85

jf wrote:

Would think higher level,but really close to home and not so many choices midseason.
Certainly wish Jameer success,but hope he doesn't have a Goss-like performance against us.

Depends what Jameer wants.  I don’t think there’s any higher level teams that would take him as a primary ball handler.  Based on what he’s shown, he’d be a role player on a higher level program (defensive stopper and energy guy off the bench, but not a high usage guard or ball handler).  Transferring down gives him more chance to develop his game.  He could be great, but needs time.

1/26/2021 10:36 pm  #86

A Delaware assistant played with his dad at St Joes. Dad is also working for the Delaware G League team now.

1/27/2021 9:40 am  #87

A mild surprise but made less so due to the reasons mentioned above.  JNJ should have a chance to thrive at Delaware, and will obviously be close to family and friends.  I'd be curious as to whether Michigan/Martelli expressed any interest.  Either they did and JNJ did not want to be a role player, or they didn't feeling that he would have too tough a time competing for minutes.

So if I understand the organizational chart correctly, Butler is the major league club, GW is the AAA club, and Delaware is the AA club.  Or, considering our earlier result in Delaware, perhaps the Blue Hens are the AAA club.

1/27/2021 12:47 pm  #88

When you jump you better have a parachute. My understanding is that the market for his services was not as robust as was anticipated by his camp (same for Maceo). Hope he does well at Delaware.

1/27/2021 6:41 pm  #89

Best of luck Jameer.  UD is challenging Butler for GW transfers!

1/27/2021 8:15 pm  #90

Perhaps, it was 25% 3 point shooting, 40% from the floor and 60% from the FT line and a 3 TO to 2 Assist career line 
Also, teams generally don't prefer 6'0 off ball guards

1/28/2021 5:13 pm  #91

The Dude wrote:

Perhaps, it was 25% 3 point shooting, 40% from the floor and 60% from the FT line and a 3 TO to 2 Assist career line 

You stay classy San Diego.

1/28/2021 6:33 pm  #92

Gwmayhem wrote:

The Dude wrote:

You stay classy San Diego.

He’s not wrong.  Jameer has great potential but as I posted, without stats, he’s not a good fit right now for a higher level team.  The stats are what they are. I hope he gets time to develop and becomes the player he has the potential to be, but he’s smart for going to Delaware rather than riding the pine at a big school.

1/28/2021 6:43 pm  #93

Exactly FQ, and the over-selling of every player who has departed (who were under-sold while here for the same purpose) to over-state doom and gloom is so transparent.

1/28/2021 11:46 pm  #94

Hmm.   James Bishop's frosh stats:  .391 from the field,  .304 from the 3,  .500 from the line.   9 assists to 11 turnovers.    Ricky Lindo's frosh stats...  .385 from the field, 16.7 from the 3,  .520 from the line.   .04 assists to .05 turnovers per game.  Guess  Bishop and Lindo should have been written off also, or just maybe there are better ways to assess a young player's potential than freshman stats.  JNJ had game.  He had heart.  He played defense.  He had real potential, just needed the time and coaching to develop it.  (Not suggesting that Christian would not have been able to do this)..    Not surprisingly, the coach was very unhappy to see him go.   

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (1/29/2021 10:55 am)

1/29/2021 9:21 am  #95

Correct LSF.  No shock that The Dude would fail to mention JNJ's defense, athleticism, rebounding or energy.  He brought plenty of positive attributes to the table.  The Dude even sees fit to lie about his height (he is listed at 6' 1"); not a big point but why lie about it at all?

FQ, JNJ became a bad fit once James Bishop joined the team and assumed the point guard responsibilities.  Nobody is saying that JNJ and James playing together was working.  With Armel having graduated, JNJ was slated to become the team's point guard this season.  It is difficult to know how well or how poorly he would have performed without anyone looking over his shoulder.  Maybe he just doesn't have the prerequisite skills to play the position at this level.  Maybe his game would have flourished.  Once James arrived, the entire dynamic changed.

All of this though misses my broader point.  I'm sure you're familiar with the expression "don't let the door hit you on the way out".  Well, I can take this to mean that there's no point in taking shots at our players once they are no longer on the team.  JNJ was already out.  Gone.  On his way to Delaware.  But that does not stop The Dude from trying to explain to us all just how disappointing a player he was.  He did it with Paul Jorgensen and he did it with Jordan Roland and he just did it with JNJ.

You say "he's not wrong?"  Well, his stats may be correct but his habit of throwing stones at players who have left the program is very wrong.  That's what I meant by "stay classy."  As if he would ever know how to be.  My mistake.    

1/29/2021 1:45 pm  #96

Thanks to LSF and Mayhem for returning some common sense and truth to this board.
I don't even bother reading dude's comments - his track record on evaluating talent speaks for itself.
We are not a program that can afford to lose the likes of JNJ or anyone else right now.
We have sucked for the last 4 years and there's no light at the end of the tunnel right now.
For as long as JC remains, he needs to build a foundation with the young guys right now - not let a guy who already failed in the P5 Conferences build up his stats so he can try again next year with another team. Jameer will do just fine at Delaware with the proper coaching.

1/29/2021 2:51 pm  #97

(Post archived by Admiinistrator and removed from site).

Last edited by BGF (1/30/2021 12:25 am)

1/29/2021 3:54 pm  #98

(Post archived by Admiinistrator and removed from site).

Last edited by BGF (1/30/2021 12:25 am)

1/30/2021 12:27 am  #99

This topic was closed as part of our internal policy of the site administrator and moderators.  Really...we're grown-ups here.

3/08/2022 9:08 pm  #100

Congrats to Jameer, Delaware and JNJr are dancing!

Board footera