GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/28/2020 6:54 am  #1

Kevin Marfo

Anyone notice former GW freshman Kevin Marfo, now on Quinnipac, is leading the nation in rebounds at 13.1/game? Glad to see his success.

2/28/2020 9:04 am  #2

Re: Kevin Marfo

Very happy for him, and glad he found a level where he could be successful. Baker Dunleavy's Quinnipiac squad isn't faring as well as I thought they would coming into the year, but they've still been above average compared to the rest of the program's history. Side note: if Fordham decides to move on from Neubauer (unpopular opinion, but I don't think he is a bad coach - Fordham has played most A10 opponents tough by playing very well defensively - he just needs to sort things out offensively, and especially hire a staff that's better at recruiting talent) the program should take a look at Shaheen Holloway (another MAAC coach) at St. Peter's. Dude has really overachieved taking over that program (and he now has experiencing coaching in high school gyms at the college level!)

Back to Marfo, he was always expected to be a great rebounder (he was one of the best in the HS ranks) but it's good to see him develop the rest of his game at the college level. It is funny though that on the same night Chase missed a dunk, Marfo had this moment.

2/28/2020 9:32 am  #3

I'll echo the sentiments while adding that I believe Kevin found the right program and not necessarily the right level.  Which is another way of saying that while at GW, the coaching staff had little idea how to best utilize Kevin's strengths.  Most knew that he was a relentless rebounder coming out of high school and that skill normally translates as long as one has the right size and build.  However, despite having an occasional great game (Florida State comes to mind despite the team being blown out), Kevin wasn't given much of an opportunity at least during games.  Once he let it be known that he would be transferring, he was relegated to the end of the bench.  I don't feel the A10 was the wrong level for him but GW, with a sudden change to its head coach, was certainly the wrong program at the time.

Staying within the MAAC, Carmen Maciariello has Siena in first place by a 1/2 game over St. Peters and by 1 1/2 games over Monmouth in the MAAC.  This also speaks well to JC's recruiting while at Siena.

2/28/2020 9:51 am  #4

Bottom line is Marfo really wasn't very good as a freshman. He was the definition of being raw. I do think he could have developed into a solid A10 player, but Smith and Toro were much more ready coming in as freshmen bigs, plus we had Cavanaugh and Steeves to play the front court that year, so there were very few minutes to give to someone like Marfo. But as with all GW players who transfer out, I'm very happy to see him have success in his post-GW career.

2/28/2020 12:13 pm  #5

I agree with the above posts, and happy to see him eo well.  I recall being very excited when we landed him.

2/28/2020 12:47 pm  #6

I didn't think Marfo was a failure a freshman or was at the wrong level.  I didn't think MoJo put him in a position to succeed.  As everyone has stated, he was a great rebounder but was raw offensively.  They should have used him a guy who set good screens and worked hard on the board.  Instead, they kept try to feed it to him inside, where we didn't have the skill to pass out or make a move to score.  Eventually, that role went to Steeves, who was much better at it.

​Not to bring up the last coach, but that was a common theme with him.  He had a lot of good players, but had no clue how to use them to play to their strengths.  I think Armel was another good example of that.  He's probably the best player on our team this year, and couldn't get off the bench toward the end of last season.

2/29/2020 5:51 pm  #7

1 amazing stat with Marfo's season is that he's had double- digit rebounds in 27 of 28 games. He's had some very good plays on both ends the last few games to help Quinipiac win.

3/08/2020 12:44 pm  #8

Leads the nation in rebounding at 13.3 rpg
Gee, we could really use him here

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/individual/137

Board footera