GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/28/2020 1:16 pm  #1

Transfer Season 2020

We can use this thread for all outgoing/incoming transfers for GW and the rest of the A-10.

Corey Evans  @coreyevans_10 15m 
Source: La Salle forward Ed Croswell will opt to transfer; averaging over 10 points and seven rebounds during his sophomore season

2/28/2020 1:21 pm  #2

Re: Transfer Season 2020

I wonder what happened with Croswell that he couldn't even wait for the season to end.

2/29/2020 10:18 am  #3

Verbal Commits 2020 list of transfers is now up, the link is down below. There are a few players who have also announced that they will transfer within the past few days, in addition to Croswell from La Salle. 

Good question Hugh, Croswell's decision to transfer now is unusual because he was a key player for La Salle and appeared to be in good standing on the team. Also, there are only a handful of games left in the season for La Salle, why announce a transfer at this point?. 

I'm going to include transfer speculation about local players here too. Villanova sophomore guard Brandon Slater who attended Paul VI, played for Team Takeover(I think) and was a top 75-100 player, is now buried on Villanova's bench and seems like a guy who may transfer at the end of the year. Looking at his lack of playing time at Villanova and being constantly recruited over, I think GW could be a landing spot for him if he wants to come back to the D.C.area to play.

https://verbalcommits.com/transfers/2020

2/29/2020 10:30 am  #4

Thomas, don't make me drool

2/29/2020 10:35 am  #5

I guess we still need to wait a couple of weeks before seeing Mezie and Toro's names on the list.  (No I haven't heard anything,  but I cannot imagine any reason why either would want to stay).   Forecasting those 2 players moving is easy.    I think Juice stays, given he is a senior who would have to sit if he left.    

2/29/2020 11:01 am  #6

Mike K wrote:

Thomas, don't make me drool

HAHA!!  I'm always watching local guys who may not be happy at their BCS school. 

Sorry guys but I've got to hype Brandon Slater now because of Mike K's response, there's no doubt in my mind that he would dominate if he transferred to GW, and Jay Wright has buried him so deep on the bench that BCS schools may not be that interested. B.Slater would fit in perfectly with JNJ, Battle, Walker, Paar, Amir Harris and the incoming freshman class in 2021-2022!! One of the coaches needs to get Isaiah Armwood in contact with Brandon Slater!! LOL

2/29/2020 1:11 pm  #7

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

I guess we still need to wait a couple of weeks before seeing Mezie and Toro's names on the list.  (No I haven't heard anything,  but I cannot imagine any reason why either would want to stay).   Forecasting those 2 players moving is easy.    I think Juice stays, given he is a senior who would have to sit if he left.    

Juice will graduate no?  I'd be surprised if Javi stays.  I thought Maceo was a goner when Mazzula left, but it'll be hard for him to get as many shots up anywhere else.

It's not the expected departures that sting, it's a surprise transfers.  Battle or JNJ or Paar will be a killer.

2/29/2020 2:27 pm  #8

Exactly BM. Any of those 3 would be killer

2/29/2020 4:26 pm  #9

Good finds.
We may well regret Toro, who if he graduates, will have plenty of opportunities.
We can use a graduate student or two ourselves. 
Though we will soon have months to debate this.

2/29/2020 5:01 pm  #10

Juice is indeed a senior right now. Agree that Toro and Mezie will in all likelihood be gone. Javi is an interesting case. It doesn't seem like there will be many minutes for him next year, but he'll be a senior and is an engineering major so he may want to stay to get that degree. If he can graduate early and be a grad transfer, that may be best for all parties.

3/03/2020 7:51 pm  #11

I've been watching some of the Maryland-Rutgers game and we have another potential transfer target playing(or barely playing) for Maryland..sophomore Ricky Lindo. He attended Wilson HS in D.C., GW offered him during his JR year. R.Lindo was a fairly unheralded player until a growth spurt during his sophomore or junior year and GW was one of the biggest offers he got initially. He's also buried on the bench(like Brandon Slater at Villanova) and may transfer or be forced out after Maryland's season ends. 

3/04/2020 11:13 am  #12

Right now we are over by one scholarship for next year so someone is definitely leaving. I would assume since we are very much still recruiting 2020s someone else (or more than 2 players) will be leaving. I think that's a very real assumption. However, I don't think its fair to the players, the team or the coaches to be speculating as to exactly who those players may be with the season not yet completed. We can all see who plays and who doesn't. I don't think it will take a rocket scientist to figure out who are the likely candidates. However, we still have games to play. So I would caution on the speculation for a week or so.

Last edited by GWRising (3/04/2020 12:36 pm)

3/04/2020 11:56 am  #13

GWRising wrote:

Right now we are over by one scholarship for next year so someone is definitely leaving. I would assume since we are very much still recruiting 2020s someone else (or more than 2 players) will be leaving. I think that's a very real assumption. However, I don't think its fair to the players, the team or the coaches to be speculating as to exactly who those players may be with the season not yet completed. We can all see who plays and who doesn't. I don't think it will take a rocket scientist to figure out who the likely candidates. However, we still have games to play. So I would caution on the speculation for a week or so.

If the school is promoting Toro as part of senior night, even though he could stay another year, I think it's fair to speculate about him. 

3/04/2020 12:35 pm  #14

Free Quebec wrote:

GWRising wrote:

Right now we are over by one scholarship for next year so someone is definitely leaving. I would assume since we are very much still recruiting 2020s someone else (or more than 2 players) will be leaving. I think that's a very real assumption. However, I don't think its fair to the players, the team or the coaches to be speculating as to exactly who those players may be with the season not yet completed. We can all see who plays and who doesn't. I don't think it will take a rocket scientist to figure out who the likely candidates. However, we still have games to play. So I would caution on the speculation for a week or so.

If the school is promoting Toro as part of senior night, even though he could stay another year, I think it's fair to speculate about him. 

Fair point. 

3/07/2020 1:38 am  #15

Devin Gage, 6-2, PG.  Grad Transfer from DePaul.  Played in 84 games in his career.  Started all 33 games for DePaul last year where he averaged 9.1 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 3.9 apg.  Had season ending injuries twice in his career.  He would be a great replacement for Armel at the 1.  

Last edited by B_Loud (3/10/2020 5:58 pm)

3/07/2020 4:24 pm  #16

Coach Omidvar just followed Kobe Webster, a grad transfer from Indianapolis, IN who led Western Illinois in scoring this year (a bad team that missed qualifying for the Summit League tournament). His numbers are good though: 17.1 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 3.6 apg; 42% FG, 33% 3-pt, 78% FT. I'm sure a ton of schools will be after him though.

3/09/2020 12:54 pm  #18

Verbal Commits@VerbalCommits 
Saint Joseph's F Chereef Knox (FR) has entered the transfer portal. (HT @247SportsPortalhttps://t.co/2rBlNgPoxx

3/09/2020 1:45 pm  #19

3/09/2020 8:53 pm  #20

Georgia Tech forward Evan Cole announced that he is transferring, he's a grad transfer and will be eligible next year. He doesn't have any local ties and put up modest numbers in limited minutes at Georgia Tech this year, but he's 6-10 and athletic. He also told an Atlanta newspaper that he's "looking for more consistent minutes and a bigger role" at another school which may mean he's looking to go down a level. 

https://verbalcommits.com/players/evan-cole  

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/georgia-tech-evan-cole-explains-transfer-decision/aowPdq38aZznHJEwexJwwL/  

Board footera