GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/14/2020 11:59 am  #241

Re: Transfer Season 2020

Good luck to Javi, though have to see I’m relieved that the roster logjam is being resolved this way rather than with one of the freshmen leaving.

Also interesting that the tweet says he’s not returning to the team, instead of saying he’s entering the transfer portal.  Wonder if he’s going to stay one more year at GW to get his degree.

5/14/2020 12:26 pm  #242

Who knows with COVID can he even get back in the country (assuming he went home to Spain)?

But yes good luck to Javi.  We'll always have his game winner vs. BU.

Last edited by GW0509 (5/14/2020 12:27 pm)

5/14/2020 1:29 pm  #243

Good Luck Javi!  Hopefully an academic scholarship is in order at GW.  Though who knows what the next school year will look like.   Have any of next year's opponents announced that they won't have classroom school in the fall?   Now matter what - this coming year will be a mess.

Last edited by BC (5/14/2020 1:30 pm)

5/14/2020 1:49 pm  #244

Definitely hope he can still get his degree. 

5/14/2020 4:22 pm  #245

Wishing the best for Javier. The Boston U buzzer beater was one of best moments of the season. Given we were over the limit, this wasn't a shocker, but as others above have mentioned I hope he is getting the chance to get his degree. His engineering degree will take him far in the future. I don't know if there was a scenario possible to grant him an academic scholarship while keeping him as a walk-on. It never hurts to have more frontcourt depth, and Javier by all accounts seemed like a strong locker room guy and had a good work ethic. He definitely had some raw tools, but unfortunately it never panned out, failing to shoot even 40% from the field in any of his three years. 

Only one guy (Maceo) remains from the 9 win 2018-19 team just two seasons ago. If there is a season next year, looking forward to seeing Terry and Justin (midseason) play for their new teams. Bradley and Vermont should both have relatively strong years in their respective conferences. I still think Terry and JC could have been a good combination, but it seems he left for reasons beyond just basketball. I stumbled upon his website, and his remarks about GW weren't exactly glowing...

"My college basketball career began at the George Washington University in Washington, DC. I was a leading player for the team in points and minutes during my freshman and sophomore year. By the end of my sophomore year, GW had become a toxic environment for me. I was no longer progressing athletically, academically, or professionally. For my junior year, I re-opened my recruitment and committed to Bradley University in Peoria, Illinois. "

https://www.terrynolanjr.com/about-1

Javier's departure also means that there will be no international players on the team for the first time in a while (not sure what the streak was). I guess if there was a time to keep things a bit closer to home, it would be this time during COVID-19.

Will also just briefly mention what was on the other thread with McClung leaving Georgetown. I actually might be in the minority thinking that Ewing actually did a pretty good job last year given what he had to work with, but the Hoyas have a serious culture problem right now with the number of off-court incidents and player defections they've had recently. McClung leaving is without a doubt a loss for them, but that whole class with Akinjo seemed to lack any chemistry on the court. Everyone was trying to audition for their professional careers but it ended up going very poorly on all sides.

Between Georgetown (who may finish last in the Big East - I might take DePaul's roster over them) and Maryland taking a step back next year, we definitely have the chance to make some noise in the area in the coming seasons. Of course the downside is that JC will likely be a candidate on either list should either school move on down the road but hopefully the program has recovered well enough by that point should it happen.

5/14/2020 7:30 pm  #246

DMVPiranha,  those are some eye-opening comments from Terry Nolan about his GW experience. Most players are never that candid about why they transfer!! I agree about Georgetown and probably Maryland being in big trouble next year. Both teams lost a lot of talent and missed out on their top recruiting targets. Someone posted that a Georgetown fan is already tweeting about Jamion Christian replacing Ewing!

5/14/2020 7:48 pm  #247

potomacgator wrote:

Looks like Kentucky solved its height problem for next season with 7' transfer from Wake Forest, Olivier Sarr, if he can get a transfer waiver. I thought it was interesting that the Wake coach in trying to convince Sarr not to transfer argued that the Wake degree was more valuable than the Kentucky degree because of the relative academic standings of the two schools.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29142137/wake-forest-basketball-coach-knocks-kentucky-academics-pitch-keep-olivier-sarr

I meant to comment on this earlier, but the Wake Forest coach should know better than this. Pulling the "Our Academics Are Better Than Yours" card in a sports environment is never a good move, especially after losing a game or a recruiting battle!!

5/14/2020 9:35 pm  #248

Especially since it's suppose to be our incentive to recruits!

5/15/2020 7:44 am  #249

Best of luck to Javi, hope he gets his degree and stays safe.

5/15/2020 9:17 am  #250

dmv, I heard on a GW game broadcast a couple of years ago that we've had at least two international students on the roster since the early Jarvis years.  Lindo is Panamanian so we'll still have an international next year (likely on the bench)

5/15/2020 12:26 pm  #251

BC wrote:

Especially since it's suppose to be our incentive to recruits!

This is true, but GW fans/alums would have enough smarts not to question a player who would leave GW for Kentucky!! Everyone here understands the pecking order when it comes to college basketball. It was funny seeing the Kentucky fans/alums getting angry at the Wake Forest coach for knocking Kentucky's academic credentials, the article mentions that Wake Forest is 105 spots higher(27 to 132) than Kentucky on the U.S.News and World Report Best Colleges list. I guess you can say he did a successful troll job on Kentucky.   

About Javy, I don't see his name on the transfer portal list, so he may be going overseas or may not play basketball anymore. 

Another local player has transferred, Mount St.Mary's redshirt freshman guard Matt Becht. He barely got off the bench as a freshman at Mount St.Mary's last year, but he was a great shooter/player at WCAC power O'Connell a few years ago. Jamion Christian may have recruited him to Mount St.Mary's. 

5/15/2020 12:57 pm  #252

Thomas, yes JC recruited Becht to MSM. Becht apparently has been injury prone and hasn't been healthy for the past 2 years.

I believe Javy is staying at GW and will finish his degree here and will not play basketball. 

As for Terry Nolan, let his post speak for itself. The toxicity (whether coach-player, player-player or both) has left the building and this is a new era. It doesn't matter much anymore what happened then as everyone but Maceo is gone and we have a whole new coaching staff. 

5/15/2020 1:50 pm  #253

I wish Javy well and applaud him for staying at GW and earning his degree should this be his decision.  From a basketball perspective, the fit really was never there starting with MoJo's 11th hour recruitment of him seemingly designed to take a flyer on someone with size.  Watching Javy's first season at Kenner, he really seemed to prefer to play along the perimeter and appeared more than capable of consistently hitting 15-20 feet jump shots (though against defenses that weren't exactly always playing hard).  His range did not extend beyond the three point line and sadly for him, he really wasn't allowed to play his game for the most part under two different coaching staffs. I wish him well.

5/15/2020 2:14 pm  #254

GWRising wrote:

Thomas, yes JC recruited Becht to MSM. Becht apparently has been injury prone and hasn't been healthy for the past 2 years.

I believe Javy is staying at GW and will finish his degree here and will not play basketball. 

As for Terry Nolan, let his post speak for itself. The toxicity (whether coach-player, player-player or both) has left the building and this is a new era. It doesn't matter much anymore what happened then as everyone but Maceo is gone and we have a whole new coaching staff. 

Thanks for the information on Becht. I remember him being a stand out at O'Connell(along with his backcourt mate who has starred at Pittsburgh for the last 2 years) and thought he'd be a great player at Mount St. Mary's. After seeing that he was transferring, I pulled his numbers at Mount St. Mary's and was surprised to see his lack of production, but the injuries explain it. I'm assuming that Jamion Christian would be at least some interest in Becht since he recruited him to Mount St. Mary's and has the ability to be a tremendous 3-point shooter.

On Terry Nolan, it was obvious that he was fed up with being at GW in the middle of his sophomore year and was going to leave regardless. A number of posters would always point out Nolan's lack of interest/focus in games during his sophomore year at GW. I don't blame JC for not retaining him because it looked like his basketball experience in 2018-2019 just soured him on everything about GW. 

5/15/2020 2:23 pm  #255

Thomas, if you will recall the A10 Tournament during Terry's freshman year, you'll remember that Terry's problems with GW extended back to his freshman season.  It became readily apparent that he lacked respect for either MoJo or the coaching staff in general.  Remember, he was supposed to have played for Matt McCall at Chattanooga until he left for UMASS.  Terry's connection to GW came largely from someone outside of the coaching staff.  It's a big problem when you lack regard for your coaches.

5/15/2020 2:33 pm  #256

Gwmayhem wrote:

Thomas, if you will recall the A10 Tournament during Terry's freshman year, you'll remember that Terry's problems with GW extended back to his freshman season.  It became readily apparent that he lacked respect for either MoJo or the coaching staff in general.  Remember, he was supposed to have played for Matt McCall at Chattanooga until he left for UMASS.  Terry's connection to GW came largely from someone outside of the coaching staff.  It's a big problem when you lack regard for your coaches.

It was his freshman year too?? I remember a bunch of comments on the other board about Terry Nolan's poor body language/effort during his sophomore year(I think he got suspended for a game or 2 during that sophomore year), but I didn't know it started late in his freshman year. I do remember that he originally committed to Chattanooga and GW was able to land him late in the process. 

5/15/2020 4:09 pm  #257

In the tournament game against SLU at Capital One Arena, when Terry was coming off of an injury, he was taken out of a game very much against his will.  He looked like he might storm out of the arena before settling for the end of the bench.  At one point, he looked like he was going to strike one of the coaches (I forget which one.) This was the final game of his freshman season.

5/15/2020 4:23 pm  #258

Thomas wrote:

Gwmayhem wrote:

It was his freshman year too?? I remember a bunch of comments on the other board about Terry Nolan's poor body language/effort during his sophomore year(I think he got suspended for a game or 2 during that sophomore year), but I didn't know it started late in his freshman year. I do remember that he originally committed to Chattanooga and GW was able to land him late in the process. 

Gwmayhem, without getting into the weeds too much, the issues were not entirely or maybe even mostly Terry's issues. Terry reacted poorly to something that was said to him that was inappropriate in the huddle at the A-10 tournament. There was blame on both sides for that one which when cooler heads prevailed resulted in no real discipline for Terry despite the fact that he walked off the bench. Terry definitely reacted the wrong way. However, what was said to him was not right either and resulted from an apparent misunderstanding of something Terry had done earlier in the day.

As for his sophomore year, for some reason Terry became a favorite target of Mojo. Perhaps Mojo expected more out of Terry than others and was trying to motivate him. I am not sure. Again, not choosing sides but other players have told me that Terry was frequently made the scapegoat for a lot of the team's performance problems. Often, openly in front of teammates so as to embarrass Terry. The criticism was justified some of the time and at other times not at all. But it was constant and unrelenting and Terry did not react well to it. By late in the year, Terry apparently had enough. He was leaving well before it was announced that Mojo was let go. It is my understanding that JC came in and talked to Terry about staying but by that time Terry just wanted/needed a fresh start and had his mind made up. It's too bad because I think JC might have been the perfect coach for Terry. 

My only point here is not to ascribe blame to one party or the other because based on what I am told both sides have their points. Rather I just want to let you know that there are two sides this story and truth probably lies in between.

5/15/2020 9:53 pm  #259

Sometimes a young person just needs a fresh start somewhere, good for Terry for doing what he felt he needed to do.

7/10/2020 9:13 am  #260

Team BBC Basketball Program@TheTeamBBC Alum 6’7 RS Ben Stanley has heard from Georgetown, Illinois, Maryland, Oregon, Western Kentucky, Fresno State, Xavier, Providence, Missouri, USC, Arkansas, San Diego State, George Washington...

He's a PF from Hampton who just entered the transfer portal.  I guess someone else is transferring out (or not coming in).

Team BBC Basketball Program@TheTeamBBC[/url] “@GoodmanHoops tweet...Big addition to the transfer portal: Hampton sophomore forward Ben Stanley (@benstanley23) Averaged 22 points and 7.2 boards last season.” #TeamBBC #DreamBIG #EmbraceTheGrind #Lafamilia[url=https://t.co/W7AVF3nYpM] 5:40pm · 7 Jul 2020 · Twitter for iPhone

Last edited by BM (7/10/2020 9:15 am)

Board footera