GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/19/2020 12:17 pm  #81

Re: Transfer Season 2020

Two more names:

Michael Wynn (Wake Forest) - Stats: 1.3 ppg, 0.7 rpg, 0.1 apg per 4.2 mpg with 14 GP; 54% FG, 25% 3-pt, 38% FT
Heard From: UC Riverside, Nicholls State, Maryland Eastern Shore, Coastal Carolina, Cornell, Eastern Michigan, UNC Asheville, Columbia, Southern Illinois, Georgia State

Wynn is an upstate NY kid who played AAU ball with the City Rocks and is transferring from Wake Forest...something about that sounds familiar.

Ian DuBose (Houston Baptist) - Stats: 19 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 3.8 apg, 1.4 spg; 44% FG, 33% 3-pt, 78% FT
Heard From: Lamar, Coastal Carolina, Liberty, Appalachian State, Cal Baptist, Seton Hall, San Diego

DuBose's stats are somewhat padded playing on a really bad Houston Baptist team that played the second fastest tempo in the nation (a tad slower than an equally awful team in Mississippi Valley State) and also no defense (only UT-Martin was worse, and *surprise* they were also really bad) but it seems likely that he will get offers from bigger schools. David Caraher did the same thing a couple years ago from HBU and managed to find a spot at St. John's.

3/19/2020 2:32 pm  #82

Verbal Commits @VerbalCommits
George Mason G Jason Douglas-Stanley (SO) has entered the transfer portal
https://twitter.com/_ishoot_3s/status/1240711555823493120

Last edited by GW0509 (3/19/2020 2:33 pm)

3/19/2020 8:41 pm  #83

BM wrote:

PG Alterique Gilbert leaving UConn.  Would fit the bill, but I assume he wants to go somewhere to win immediately.

I believe he was a McDonald's All-American, and he's battled injuries while at UConn. You're right, he probably wants to win and make the NCAA tournament once before finishing college, but if he does want to go somewhere and have the chance to be the "Top Dog", GW would be the place for him. I'm interested to see what type of situation he's looking for.

Matthew Moyer is the player I like the most here(of the players who GW has reached out too), despite the modest numbers, he was recruited to the ACC and SEC, so it shows that he has a lot of potential and could be an excellent replacement for Toro next year. 

3/19/2020 10:13 pm  #84

I don’t think Matthew Moyer is really that good. Doubt he would make a material difference for us, though obviously front court depth is never a bad thing. 

Someone should make sure Gilbert saw the usage numbers Potter put up in JC’s system.  If his goal is to play professionally, the stats he could put up here in one year could make him a lot more money than going to another BCS team where he’d be the 3rd or 4th option like at UConn.

3/20/2020 9:40 am  #85

Morey Hershgordon   @MHershgordon 10m 
After 1 season in Kingston, forward Mekhi Long announces he’s transferring from #URI
https://twitter.com/Theyscreamkhi/status/1241004836826406913

3/20/2020 9:42 am  #86

Amazing Stat of the Day:
Davidson Recruiting @DavidsonMBBRecr 
Davidson has had exactly 0 players transfer since joining the A10 in 2015

3/20/2020 10:44 pm  #87

Former JC player at MSM leaving St. Bona. He had 13 in the game at home.

Verbal Commits @VerbalCommits 4h 
St. Bonaventure F Bobby Planutis (RS SO) has entered the transfer portal. Grad transfer w/two years to play.

Other recruiting news:
Phenom_Exposure @PhenomExposure 4h 
Wake Forest transfer Mike Wynn has heard from #UMass #GeorgeWashington #GeorgeMason #Cincinnati since previously speaking with #PhenomHoops

Two more names we're tracking:

Timmel 'Melo' Eggleston (Arkansas State) - Stats: 8.4 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 1.1 apg; 39% FG, 17% 3-pt, 62% FT
Heard From: Wichita State, Colorado State, Southern Illinois

Eggleston is a former 3/4 star recruit who began his career at Wake Forest (unrelated but why is Danny Manning still the coach there? What more does Wes Miller have to do at UNC Greensboro to get the job??) before heading to Jonesboro and playing a higher usage role for a mediocre Red Wolves program whose logo I'd say is one of the scariest in the college sports landscape. Anyways, Eggleston is a Suitland, MD native so that's part of the appeal.

Rodney Howard (Georgia) - Stats: 1.3 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 0.6 bpg per 7.3 mpg in 24 GP; 57% FG, 28% FT
Heard From: Coastal Carolina, Liberty, Toledo, Eastern Michigan

Howard is 6'11" and I guess would pretty much have us set in the frontcourt after he sits a year as we would already have Chase, Hunter, and Noel. Not really sure what positions we are specifically looking to fill right now though - I wouldn't say the frontcourt is a need right now over PG but it is always nice to have another big in case. This is by far the most guys we have taken a look at on the transfer market ever in a single offseason (at least a lot more than last year), and leads me to believe there is going to be more than one spot available to fill based on how active we've been.

3/20/2020 10:59 pm  #88

Not sure if this Was already posted,  but Wichita State has had SEVEN players announce intention to transfer.

I don’t think anyone has written the story of what’s going on there yet, but even In this era that is a stunningly high number in one year for a seemingly stable program and star coach.

3/21/2020 6:58 am  #89

According to verbal commits, Sienna recruited Wynn, so JC is familiar with him. 

Eggieston had a lot of the Big Boys recruiting him out of high school, but not sure these stats work in JC's system.. 39% FG, 17% 3-pt, 62% FT

3/21/2020 11:07 am  #90

I've got to start off with some interesting transfer news that doesn't involve GW, Harvard grad transfer Seth Towns will announce his decision tonight at 8 eastern on ESPN, he'll choose between Duke and Ohio State. With ALL sports activity in most of the world cancelled, ESPN is now broadcasting the decisions of grad transfers!! Is Seth Towns going to have Duke and Ohio State hats in front of him and choose one like the 5-star high school players do!! HA!

Top grad-transfer Seth Towns will make his college decision tonight on ESPN at 8pm EST, he tells @RivalsPortal. Will choose between Duke and Ohio State
11:04 AM · Mar 21, 2020·Twitter Web App5Retweets10Likes
https://twitter.com/coreyevans_10/status/1241380175276900352  

FQ,   Wichita State had a pretty good season too, I believe they were on Last 4 In/First 4 Out status, so it's not like they just had a bad season and the coach wanted to run off some players. I'm assuming something will come out soon about what's going on at Wichita State, one or more of the players who transferred out will start talking!! You guys think a scandal could be brewing at Wichita State?

Some of you may remember that Mitchell twins(local guys who attended McNamara and Wilson) transferred from Maryland early in the season. Has there been any updates on their recruitment? I'm bringing them up because a Rhode Island fan mentioned them as recruiting targets in response to the news of Mekhi Long transferring. If they are a package deal and are considering Rhode Island, GW should take a shot at landing them. 

3/21/2020 1:53 pm  #91

Thomas, the moment our civilization officially jumped the shark televised pronouncements of kids decision where to attend

3/21/2020 9:22 pm  #92

Evan Daniels[/url][url=https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels]@EvanDaniels UConn transfer Alterique Gilbert has heard from Georgia, Florida, Texas Tech, Arkansas, Georgia State, ECU, George Washington, Towson, Loyola Chicago, Wichita State, Cincinnati and Tulane, a source tells @247Sports.

Last edited by B_Loud (3/21/2020 9:26 pm)

3/21/2020 10:24 pm  #93

B_Loud wrote:

Evan Daniels[/url][url=https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels]@EvanDaniels UConn transfer Alterique Gilbert has heard from Georgia, Florida, Texas Tech, Arkansas, Georgia State, ECU, George Washington, Towson, Loyola Chicago, Wichita State, Cincinnati and Tulane, a source tells @247Sports.

Love that we are mentioned in this.  I think he’s better than his stats last year (had some injuries and lost time to a star recruit down the stretch, and his shooting was down from his sophomore year).  If he came her, he would almost certainly put up better numbers in our system with the role available to him than at UConn or most of these other programs.

As for the other schools, if location of the school, relationship with the coach, or something else we can’t measure isn’t what decides it, I would think the best situations are cincy and us

- Georgia -  They started a freshman this year, Savhir Wheeler who is undersized (posted at 5’10 but I doubt he’s even 5’9”) but showed tremendous promise. No reason to go compete with him for the job, though Gilbert is from Atlanta.

-Florida - has a star PGs already with Nembhart, who is only a sophomore. Even if he leaves, freshman Tre Mann was a big time recruit stuck behind Nembhart this year.

Texas Tech - Texas tech may have a need for a PG if Ramsey goes pro (he’s projected as a late first round pick, but could move to the lottery if he comes back for another year).

Arkansas - Jalen Harris should be back for his senior year, though Gilbert is much better.  However, even though Harris is nominally the PG, mason jones usually has the ball and he’s probably a first team all American President-season if he comes back.

Georgia State - uptempo team thst started a sophomore DePaul transfer last year, who had a very nice season.  Gilbert is from Atlanta so if he wants to go to where he grew up, that would make sense but he would have to compete for playing time.

ECU- joe Dooley started a freshman and a sophomore at guard on a bad team. Might be an odd choice unless

Towson - started a freshman of who had a good game against us in his debut.  They’ve been a transfer friendly team and I’m sure they’d love to have a guy as quick as Gilbert

Wichita - they have plenty of openings but not sure any player should want to go there right now.  I guess he can transfer to American team without sitting out because UConn is leaving?

Loyola - they rotated two young guys at PH, who both seem solid and one won MVC 6th man of the year.  Maybe they expect one to leave.

Cincy  - not sure what recruits they have coming in, but both Cumberlands and the backup PG were seniors so there’s a PG opening there.

Tulane -  Tulane tries to make it work with a bunch it name transfers but we’re still bad.  A guy like Gilbert might fit in and have fun on an uptempo bad team, though their two best players were wings who are leaving.

3/22/2020 7:36 am  #94

Alex O’Connell leaving Duke.  He’s another guy who would fit in really well at GW.  More of a shooter (at least at Duke) than a pint guard, but you add him to Battle, Jack, Seymour and any of these freshmen who can shoot, and you could really spread the floor.

3/22/2020 11:39 am  #95

With that wide variety(SEC, Big 12, A10, CAA) of schools offering Alterique Gilbert, I guess it will depend on whether he wants to be the 3rd or 4th option on an NCAA tournament team or a potential 1st Team All-Conference player at a lower level. I'm hoping JC and the staff can sell A.Gilbert(or Alex O'Connell) on being the final piece of a big turnaround for GW next season. 

Alex O'Connell has experienced a lot of winning at Duke, so he's probably more open to going to a school that will give him more minutes and feature him offensively, than Alterique Gilbert. What year is Alex O'Connell? How many years of eligibility does he have left?

3/22/2020 3:12 pm  #96

I like our chances with a Duke Transfer if only for the academics. Basketball, not so much. But academia - we we’re a nice transition (ala Mitola)

3/22/2020 4:00 pm  #97

Jeff Goodman  @GoodmanHoops 1m 
La Salle transfer Ed Croswell told me he has committed to Providence.

Providence is becoming one of the biggest recipients of A-10 transfers. 

3/22/2020 6:03 pm  #98

TIPTON EDITS 🏀 @TiptonEdits
58m
Binghamton transfer Sam Sessoms has heard from New Mexico State, UCONN, Rutgers, Penn State, Wichita State, Creighton, Marquette, Seton Hall, Arizona State, George Washington, Oregon State, Washington State, & University of New Mexico.

3/22/2020 6:04 pm  #99

From a few days ago:

Phenom_Exposure @PhenomExposure Mar 17 
Samford transfer Deandre Thomas has heard from #SaintFrancis #CalStateFullerton #Longwood #UmassLowell #Bryant #GeorgeWashington #WilliamMary #Rider since putting his name in the portal #PhenomHoops #VaTop80 Sits one year to play two ...

Thomas averaged 6.8 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 1.4 apg, and 0.8 spg per 28.4 mpg in 26 GP, shooting 35% FG, 28% 3-pt, and 66% FT. Not great numbers honestly on a bad Samford team who just fired their head coach last week. The Bulldogs played at a top 25 pace so the numbers might actually be a tad inflated and they were atrocious defensively as well. JC offered him while at MSM so that would be the connection. Richmond, VA native.

Here's an updated full list of guys we've expressed in - 19 total. Position and eligibility listed as well.

Jonah Antonio (UNLV) - SG. Immediately eligible.
Brendan Barry (Dartmouth) - PG. Immediately eligible.
Ian DuBose (Houston Baptist) - PG/SG. Immediately eligible. 
Tahj Eaddy (Santa Clara) - PG. Immediately eligible.
Timmel 'Melo' Eggleston (Arkansas State) - SG. Sit one to play two.
Alterique Gilbert (Connecticut) - PG. Immediately eligible.
Jacobi Gordon (California) - SF. Sit one to play two.
Rodney Howard (Georgia) - transferring to Georgia Tech.
Hayden Koval (Central Arkansas) - Center. He has one year of eligibility left, but as of now not immediately eligible.
Matthew Moyer (Vanderbilt) - PF. Immediately Eligible.
Ryan Murphy (Pittsburgh) - PG. Immediately Eligible.
Tomas Murphy (Northeastern) - transferring to Vermont.
Alex O'Connell (Duke) - SG. Same situation as Koval. Not immediately eligible as of now but both he and Koval may be by summer.
Cameron Parker (Sacred Heart) - PG. Sit one to play two.
Sam Sessoms (Binghamton) - PG. Sit one to play two.
Deandre Thomas (Samford) - SG. Sit one to play two.
Kobe Webster (Western Illinois) - transferring to Nebraska.
Isaac White (Stanford) - transferring to Cal Baptist.
Michael Wynn (Wake Forest) - SF. Sit one to play two.

Still think we have a good shot at landing Moyer. Seems like a good fit.

3/24/2020 12:34 pm  #100

Trey Wertz leaving Santa Clara.  Originally from NC with many A-10 & Ivy offers out of HS.  12ppg, 4apg, 40% 3pt% as two-year starter.

On cue, coaches now following.

Last edited by BM (3/24/2020 12:43 pm)

Board footera