GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/25/2020 12:51 pm  #121

Re: Transfer Season 2020

Well, I hope I’m wrong about Moyer.  Welcome to GW and hope you thrive here.

3/25/2020 12:55 pm  #122

So with this commit we currently have no open scholarships available for 2020.  

3/25/2020 1:26 pm  #123

I agree with you guys about Tyrese Martin, I'm not sure what he's thinking with this decision. He had a chance to be one of the top players in the A10(and maybe even the country) next year, and he decides to transfer to a BCS school?Maybe the players have an issue with the coach David Cox? Looking at twitter, it was mentioned that Tyrese Martin was part of Danny Hurley's last recruiting class, do you think it's possible that T.Martin will go to UConn to play for D.Hurley?

GW0509,  I believe Samir Doughty left VCU for Auburn after a coaching change with Shaka Smart or Will Wade, so that was understandable. Seeing how well he played at Auburn this past season, makes me wonder how good he would have been if he stayed at VCU? Maybe he'd be in the NBA now?

DMVPiranha,  I agree with you on Moyer, I think its worth bringing in a guy who was good enough to be recruited to Syracuse and then transfer to Vanderbilt for 1 year. My hope is that being recruited over/not getting playing time was Moyer's main issue, not lack of talent, and going to a lower level with a coaching staff who believes in him will make the difference for Moyer. About double-digit scorers from mid-majors now ending up at BCS schools, I think what's happened is the top 20 high school players are going to different 8 or 9 different BCS schools, were no longer seeing 3 go to Kentucky, 4 go to Duke, 3 to Kansas and 3 to North Carolina. So now, even the BCS blue bloods are signing guys like Patrick Tape from Columbia  and Bucknell's Nate Sestina last year, after they miss out on their 5-star McDonald's All-American targets. 

I was writing this as Moyer committed to GW!!! I think he can be a good replacement for Toro. We've got to find his high school videos and write-ups to see what kind of players he COULD be!!

3/25/2020 2:15 pm  #124

What an enigmatic career this young man has already had.  Because he redshirt during his freshman year due to a broken bone in his foot, he received a waiver and did not have to sit out another year when transferring from Syracuse to Vandy.  And he of course can play right away as a graduate transfer.  I can't imagine there have been too many players who have played for four different coaches at three different schools over four consecutive years.  That has to be a very short list.

The comp sounds a lot like Bo Ziegler.  High energy, high athleticism.  Similar size.  As a freshman, Moyer played 36 minutes as a starter against UCONN, scoring 18 points on 7-9 shooting while grabbing 8 rebounds.  On another occasion that season, he scored 11 points and grabbed 13 rebounds against Virginia Tech.  So, we know he has it in him.

The knock on him is that his confidence was often lacking.  One writer noted that you knew which version of Matt was showing up by the first media timeout. 

He undoubtedly had lots of frontcourt competition at Syracuse and Vandy.  With AT and Mezie departing and Noel Brown perhaps being a bit of a project in Year 1, this represents an excellent opportunity for a confident Matt Moyer to show up each game.  If he is secure in his role, this has the chance to be an outstanding pickup.  If he is used similarly to say how AT was used this past season, this has the chance to blow up.

On the whole, I think you have to ignore the paltry numbers and instead feel excited over what he can bring to this team at the A10 level.  Welcome aboard Matt.

Last edited by Gwmayhem (3/25/2020 2:17 pm)

3/25/2020 2:36 pm  #125

I saw in an article about his move from Cuse to Vandy that he partially left because he wanted to play like an NBA wing and take outside shots.  His 3 point production was 1 of 9 at cuse, 12 of 49 (25%) as a soph and 5 of 29 (17%) last year.  Yeah JC can promise him more threes, but the hope is that he doesn't take them.  Offensive rating last year was 0.80.  Mezzie and Jameer were in the high 80s.

Really need a big step up in production.  Up to him and the coaches.

Last edited by BM (3/25/2020 2:36 pm)

3/25/2020 3:02 pm  #126

Welcome Matthew! We can use your leadership and talent next year. I really, really, really hope you stay healthy and have a good productive season for us.

3/25/2020 3:35 pm  #127

Here is an excerpt from a March 22, 2020 article in Gator Country a UF fan web site discussing possible transfer candidates for UF :The player I’m speaking of is Kevin Marfo, a 6’8”, 245 pound forward whose name you’ll definitely be hearing a lot of as a lot of high major teams are interested. The reason why? He was one of, if not the best rebounders in the country last season ranking 1st nationally in defensive rebound rate and 2nd in offensive rebound rate. Mind you, that number isn’t adjusted for quality of competition and he did it in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference, but in his lone game against high major competition (Miami) he had 13 boards. Rebounding hasn’t been a strength for the Gators recently so you can see why they’d be interested in Marfo, who also brings defensive toughness though he is somewhat limited offensively.In terms of players the Gators might be interested in but haven’t reached out to, there are a few. First, perhaps they’d want to get in touch with Matthew Moyer who they offered last offseason when he was a true transfer. Moyer was a former 4-star recruit who went to Syracuse before transferring to Vanderbilt last season, and it appears things didn’t work out as after sitting the year due to transfer rules his name is back in the portal. He’s a 6’8” wing with great length, and while he doesn’t have great offensive instincts the Gators could be extremely slim at the wings if Lewis and Johnson were to both leave.

3/26/2020 7:27 am  #128

Martin is a big loss for the league. URI is now just Fatts and a bunch of guys for next years (assuming he doesn't leave). I like their incoming freshman class of Wood and Leggett (both local guys, Leggett's first D1 offer I believe came from us). They will surely get some playing time right away now.

Verbal Commits @VerbalCommits 8h 
Massachusetts G Sean East (FR) has entered the transfer portal.
http://verbalcommits.com/hodge/players/sean-east

This one seems like a bit of a surprise given that East had a decent sized role and averaged 9 points a game at UMass. There seems to be a lot of hype around incoming freshman Garcia and with Fernandes coming in maybe East thought the playing time might not be there - they also have two other guys in Buggs (who missed the year) and Weeks (who get injured midway through the year) so I guess that played into it.

3/26/2020 2:38 pm  #129

Frederick Scott immediately eligible 6-8 transfer from Rider (originally Depaul).  13 & 6 and 39% from 3pt in his three years at Rider (stats)

Last edited by BM (3/26/2020 2:38 pm)

3/26/2020 3:46 pm  #130

BM wrote:

Frederick Scott immediately eligible 6-8 transfer from Rider (originally Depaul).  13 & 6 and 39% from 3pt in his three years at Rider (stats)

I would have preferred him to Moyer.  Hopefully I’m wrong and Moyer is just what we needed.

3/26/2020 5:42 pm  #131

Was just about to post the same thing, Free, then I saw your post.  Admittedly, I don't understand the Moyer signing based upon his numbers alone and now what is being passed on from other teams fans, in particular his lack of speed.  (The last thing that this team needs is another slow player).   Its one thing to take a gamble on a player like Harris, who likewsie had poor numbers coming out of Nebraska, but thta was only after an injury plagued freshman year.  Its another taking a player who has now put up 3 years of so-so numbers.   Again, based upon numbers alone, Frederick Scott sound laike a much better fit.  So does that player....what's his name again...I think it is Marfo.  

3/27/2020 11:50 am  #132

Toro (and Marfo) being looked at by St. John's:

Zach Braziller  @NYPost_Brazille 1m 
In addition to known 2020 targets like Kevin Marfo, Josh Gray, Jordan Bruner and Ty McMillan, a few new ones for St. John's: George Washington grad transfer Arnaldo Toro, JUCO forwards Carlton Linguard and Maurice Calloo and Wofford grand transfer Chevez Goodwin. #sjubb

Last edited by GW0509 (3/27/2020 11:50 am)

3/27/2020 12:55 pm  #133

Marfo's top five:  Penn State, Minnesota, Texas A&M and St. John’s and VCU.

3/27/2020 8:49 pm  #134

FQ, through not the best use of a compound sentence, gave you the wrong impression. You are correct. I think and have posted that Mojo screwed up Marfo's head by playing him in the worst way pounding the ball into him. And failed to take advantage of his skills, which were on  display one December against Florida State, which granted was not competing at our level--they were much better. Now, they wanted Mafo, too.
into him 7 times or so in a row when it wasn't working. And ignoring him when we could have used him, keeping Kevin on the bench. The only good thing he did for Marfo was cause him to flee for a program, which like most anyone other than GW, he could develop into the big man he always had potential to be.
  It is also interesting, given that there has been some who derided Marfo, including ragging on him repeatedly, that he may be the most sought after player on the transfer circuit.
 It is also scary that with Grant Golden and the line on down of VCU big men who have been up on us beaten up on us in a decade or so, starting with NBA draft choice Larry Sanders, that Marfo is considering VCU.

3/28/2020 9:07 am  #135

jf wrote:

FQ, through not the best use of a compound sentence, gave you the wrong impression. You are correct. I think and have posted that Mojo screwed up Marfo's head by playing him in the worst way pounding the ball into him. And failed to take advantage of his skills, which were on  display one December against Florida State, which granted was not competing at our level--they were much better. Now, they wanted Mafo, too.
into him 7 times or so in a row when it wasn't working. And ignoring him when we could have used him, keeping Kevin on the bench. The only good thing he did for Marfo was cause him to flee for a program, which like most anyone other than GW, he could develop into the big man he always had potential to be.
  It is also interesting, given that there has been some who derided Marfo, including ragging on him repeatedly, that he may be the most sought after player on the transfer circuit.
 It is also scary that with Grant Golden and the line on down of VCU big men who have been up on us beaten up on us in a decade or so, starting with NBA draft choice Larry Sanders, that Marfo is considering VCU.

Grant Golden is on Richmond, though your point is correct. It was Santos-Silva who crushed us this year.

3/28/2020 11:04 am  #136

Could Marfo return to GW for his final year or is there a rule against that?

3/28/2020 12:11 pm  #137

We aren't on Marfo's final list, but yes hypothetically he could have returned to GW had there been interest on both sides (he's not the right player for JC's system so I doubt this would have even been a possibility). Some examples in previous years that come to mind:

Michael Gilmore   VCU -> Miami (FL) (never played) -> Florida Gulf Coast -> VCU
Jimmy Whitt   Arkansas -> SMU -> Arkansas

There are generally no rules against a transfer anywhere, unless a coach blocks it (I'm sure the updated transfer rules will clarify this). There are fewer transfers between schools in the same league because the NCAA requires the player to sit two years under those circumstances. The Pac-12 was the first league to change it to the standard 1 year sit out a couple years back.

It will be interesting to see what the NCAA does regarding transfer rules. The probable right move for the kids is to let them play immediately when they want to leave regardless. I would prefer the only change made is if a coach leaves, the player gets immediate eligiblity if they choose to transfer.

3/28/2020 2:30 pm  #138

dmvpiranha wrote:

We aren't on Marfo's final list, but yes hypothetically he could have returned to GW had there been interest on both sides (he's not the right player for JC's system so I doubt this would have even been a possibility). Some examples in previous years that come to mind:

Michael Gilmore   VCU -> Miami (FL) (never played) -> Florida Gulf Coast -> VCU
Jimmy Whitt   Arkansas -> SMU -> Arkansas

There are generally no rules against a transfer anywhere, unless a coach blocks it (I'm sure the updated transfer rules will clarify this). There are fewer transfers between schools in the same league because the NCAA requires the player to sit two years under those circumstances. The Pac-12 was the first league to change it to the standard 1 year sit out a couple years back.

It will be interesting to see what the NCAA does regarding transfer rules. The probable right move for the kids is to let them play immediately when they want to leave regardless. I would prefer the only change made is if a coach leaves, the player gets immediate eligiblity if they choose to transfer.

DMVPiranah, thanks for the info.  Always appreciate your wisdom.

3/28/2020 3:03 pm  #139

3/28/2020 6:34 pm  #140

Marfo to Texas A&M

Corey Evans‏ @coreyevans_10
Quinnipiac grad-transfer and the nation’s leading rebounder, Kevin Marfo, just committed to Texas A&M, he tells @RivalsPortal https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/top-grad-transfer-kevin-marfo-selects-texas-a-m

Last edited by GW0509 (3/28/2020 6:36 pm)

Board footera