GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/28/2020 7:29 pm  #141

Re: Transfer Season 2020

Congrats Kevin, go get 'em!

3/28/2020 7:49 pm  #142

Thanks for the kind words 22ndandF!

New update:

All Facts @AllFactsMedia 12m 
Quinnipiac grad transfer Rich Kelly (@richkelly2222) will be announcing his college commitment LIVE with us at Noon ET Tommorow! Rich will be choosing from:
Ohio State
Wake Forest
Boston College
BYU
GW
Tulane
Santa Clara

UPDATE (3/29): Kelly heading to Boston College. Closer to home so I guess it makes sense. From a basketball standpoint though Jim Christian is a mediocre coach and the Eagles aren't likely to make the NCAA tournament anytime soon.

3/30/2020 10:10 am  #143

Jeff Borzello  @jeffborzello 1m 
Maryland transfers Makhi and Makhel Mitchell have committed to Rhode Island. Makhi, a former ESPN 100 prospect, averaged 3.0 points and 3.3 rebounds. Makhel, a former four-star prospect, played sparingly.

3/30/2020 12:08 pm  #144

I guess Marfo wanted to play for a BCS school in which he'd get a lot of minutes, it will be interesting to see what he can do as a starter against SEC competition for 18 games. Someone mentioned that Marfo had 13 rebounds against Miami(the best BCS team he faced this past season), so he may be able to hold his own at Texas A&M. 

I'm assuming that the Mitchell twins will be eligible at some point during the upcoming 2020-2021 season, with all the defections from Rhode Island, they should have plenty of opportunity to make an immediate impact. Fats Russell declared for the NBA draft, but he won't hire an agent and could come back. F.Russell seems to be too small to be considered a 1st or even early 2nd round pick, but we see a lot of guys who have late-2nd round/ undrafted projections who stay in the draft, so you never know. 

About the NBA draft, Georgetown guard Mac McClung declared for the draft, and it appears as if he won't hire an agent which will allow him to come back next year. If McClung does stay in the draft, Georgetown could be in BIG trouble next year!!

3/30/2020 12:59 pm  #145

Ricky Lindo also transferring out of Maryland.  Was a GW target, but from the previous coaching staff.  He's a 6'8" wing, but looks like he had decent rebounding stats so it could work.

Coach Devlin just followed him on Twitter.

Last edited by BM (3/30/2020 1:04 pm)

3/30/2020 2:35 pm  #146

Well, I wasn't a Math major, but if Rich Kelly was considering us up to his 3/29 announcement, I would think there may be another transfer coming.

3/30/2020 9:02 pm  #147

Marfo has always been a smart kid and he made a good choice in  choosing a team who’s playing style fits his strength.   They do have a freshman big who I really like in Emmanuel Miller who will be a sophomore next year. Guy showed a lot of potential over the last half month or so of the season so I’d guess regardless of who starts, it’s kind of a 50-50 time share inside.

But he picked a team that plays slow and let’s their guards take the shots and just needs Kevin to rebound and play D.  Hope it works out for him there.

3/30/2020 10:54 pm  #148

It definitely feels like another spot could be opening up at some point, as the staff is continuing to follow 2020 prospects and transfers. Many are point guards, which tells me there is some concern about Amir's availability for next year. I do like Lindo (definitely can shine when given more of a chance than just 8 minutes per game), but if we have only a spot left, it should probably be on a guard. Three more recently:

Darius Perry (Louisville) - 5.2 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 2.5 apg; 39% FG, 39% 3-pt, 75% FT. Odds of landing him seem long but I do like that we are going for it on the transfer market this year.

Calvin Wishart (Georgia Southern) - 9.4 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 2.7 apg; 43% FG, 38% 3-pt, 72% FT. Mark Byington, Georgia Southern's previous coach, just left for James Madison which may have led to Wishart deciding to leave. He is a Minnesota native.

Robbie Heath III (D2 West Chester) - 24.6 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 2.6 apg; 44% FG, 38% 3-pt, 81% FT. Heath is an Australian native, and I'm sure he will get quite a few looks from schools at the D1 level. He led all freshmen in scoring at the D2 level, and was 9th overall. West Chester is where former Colonial Marcus Littles played this past season. Littles averaged 3.8 ppg this season.

Some other updates from the past weeks:
Brendan Barry (Dartmouth) - elected to return to Dartmouth for senior year.
Ian DuBose (Houston Baptist) - returning closer to home to play at Wake Forest.
Tahj Eaddy (Santa Clara) - east coast kid staying west to play for Enfield and USC.
Sam Sessoms (Binghamton) - returning closer to home to play at Penn State.

Other A10 Updates:
Malik Martin committed to Rhode Island. He is Hassan Martin's younger brother who averaged 9 ppg with the Charlotte 49ers this past season, and replaces another Martin at URI, Tyrese Martin. He joins the Mitchell twins at URI who also committed today. There are now four Mitchell players in the A10, all who play for either URI or UMass.

Speaking of UMass, Samba Diallo is leaving the program. He averaged 6.7 ppg and 5.9 rpg. Seems like if you don't come from the Woodstock Academy, you no longer have a place on the team. The Minutemen will have 7(!) players from that one school next year.

Other A10 transfers out in the past few days include KC Hankton of SLU, Lorenzo Edwards of SJU, Ashton Miller and Evan Buckley of Duquesne, Jhery Matos of Dayton. None were big contributors to their respective teams, so no surprise.

3/31/2020 12:14 pm  #149

Charles Minlend, USF's leading scorer is transferring (immediate eligibility as a grad).  Was a GW targetNot a PG or a good 3Pt shooter.

3/31/2020 1:29 pm  #150

I LOVE Charles minlend’s game.  He’s not a great outside shooter (31% for his career). but he is an excellent player.  Have followed him since we lost out to SF for him (or pulled out of recruiting him, no way to know the truth from internet gossip) and have watched him several times.  He’s a very physical guard who plays with aggression and puts pressure on the D and gets to the line. Also has good size for defense.   

For context, in 5 games vs Gonzaga his sophomore and junior years, he’s averaged over 16 ppg. 

I am sure he’ll go bcs (and succeed) but if he still wanted to spend a year a GW, I would be pumped, even though he’s not a PG.

3/31/2020 2:40 pm  #151

DMV, I think you've touched on this before but does it seem to you like the P5's are dipping further and further down for transfers than in the past?  Seems like some of these low level guys that used to transfer up to maybe the A-10 are getting plucked by the blue bloods.

3/31/2020 5:49 pm  #152

GW0509 wrote:

DMV, I think you've touched on this before but does it seem to you like the P5's are dipping further and further down for transfers than in the past?  Seems like some of these low level guys that used to transfer up to maybe the A-10 are getting plucked by the blue bloods.

I know you didn’t ask me, but I definitely think that’s the case.  I suspect there’s three reasons. 

One, the ncaa is expected to give a waiver so there’s not sit out this year, which means bcs schools don’t have to burn a scholarship year for a guy sitting out until he’s eligible.  Two, it’s becoming more and more clear that the talent gap between good players on low and mid majors vs most of the bcs players is not real.   There have been so many success stories (Ryan wooldridge at Gonzaga this year, Baylor getting to #1 this year thanks to Asheville transfer Macio Teague and D3 transfer Freddie Gillespie, Dwayne Sutton on Louisville also from Asheville, etc) that I think the stigma of a guy coming from a lower program is long gone.  I would say this is also like anything else - it was pioneered by A10 type teams looking for an edge (like Jarvis recruiting heavily overseas) but once it was shown to work, the big money teams took it over.  Wouldn’t be shocked if they are now paying these kids, too, like they do with recruits.

Three, I think there’s been a bit of a recruiting consolidation by the biggest brand name teams.  Teams like Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, Villanova don’t go for many transfers because they seem to be able to get whoever they want. The teams that want to compete with that have to pay big money (see will wade at lsu) To recruits, or find another way to acquire talent.  Transfers seem to be the best way now.

3/31/2020 10:29 pm  #153

GW0509 wrote:

I would say without a doubt that is the case. FQ did a good job explaining many of the reasons, and will elaborate a bit on the first point to focus more on grad transfers, which is who the big programs are after. They don't want guys who sit out a year, because these programs operate on a year-to-year basis due to fairly high roster turnover, whether it's guys transferring down a level who didn't pan out, or guys going pro (I do realize programs at all levels operate on a year-to-year basis now because of the crazy transfer rate now, but roster turnover is slightly different for the top teams). These teams may want more spots on guys out of HS the following offseason, and they anyways have the ability to land low major transfers with similar skillsets (money helps as FQ said) who can play immediately so why waste time on a guy who can't help them right now? I would say sit out guys who put up decent numbers are still at play at the A10 and equivalent level.

The ability to get a guy from the lower ranks as a grad transfer who can play immediately helps fill any gaps or shortcomings these big teams have on paper. Why give a walk-on a scholarship to fill any remaining spots, or go out and continue to recruit HS seniors with the hope of finding a diamond in the rough (even the blue bloods have to fill a few remaining spots at the end of the bench this way; they also look internationally to fill some spots) when you can get a guy who has proven to play D1 ball, even if it's at the lower level? There are no expectations for many of these guys to be major players on the team, but usually a rotation guy at best or back up plan honestly if someone gets hurt (I know there are exceptions for power conference schools that aren't as good, where these players have much bigger roles, but this is largely true for the better programs). I like Tapé from Columbia and Sestina from Bucknell as players, but with as much talent as Duke and Kentucky have on a year-to-year basis, they aren't more than role players, a big step down from where they were previously. While many power conference schools have been doing this for a while, the big difference the past couple of years is the true elite teams of college basketball like Kentucky, UNC, and Duke following suit which has drained the transfer pool of low major transfers even more. The transfer portal has also made it easier to track impact guys, and the whole coronavirus situation has made transfers even more of a priority this offseason with no way to schedule visits with guys from HS. (The impact of covid-19 on college basketball has also been interesting to watch - many guys are electing to transfer closer to home to be with family).

Now do these immediately eligible transfers from lower programs actually benefit the big guys? The impact of grad transfers is somewhat overrated in college basketball. The thought of adding a new guy immediately to a team who doesn't have to sit out and previously put up great stats elsewhere sounds great, but very rarely do they end up being key contributors on teams, or put up stats anywhere close to where they did at their previous stop (I didn't dive into the stats, but this is sure to be the case). A step up in competition is an obvious reason, but being able to adjust to a new system in little time is equally as hard. Take a guy like Christian Keeling, who came from Armel's previous school Charleston Southern. He had a rough first half of the year on a historically bad UNC team, but started to come around shooting the ball much better in the second half of the season for the Tar Heels with a greater understanding of their system by which time his eligibility was almost up.

Every D1 player has different priorities for moving up in competition. Aspirations of making the NCAA tournament or playing for a big school before graduating is understandable, but the notion of moving up in competition to gain visibility and or improve one's stock at the professional level is the most frustrating thing. These guys are better off putting up better stats at a lower level than riding the bench on a better team. If you can play, you will be seen by scouts, NBA or otherwise. Riding the bench will not give you that exposure playing on a bigger team. I wish those guys would stick it out at a lower level (maybe not as low as the NEC, though I feel for guys like Latina at Sacred Heart who by all accounts would have had a decent team in the NEC for the next couple of years - he just lost 3 of his top 5 players to transfer, and I believe another one to graduation - a real stab to the heart, pun intended). There is little reason to think that will ever change, especially when other family members get involved as well.

So what can schools at the mid-major level or lower do? I think we are going to continue to see more programs go into the D2 ranks and find guys who could have an impact. This is the first offseason I can remember us looking at D2 guys as an option. I mentioned Heath in the previous post, but we are also taking a look at Romeao Ferguson, who averaged 17.9 ppg on a 21-10 Belmont Abbey team shooting 55% from the field, 45% from 3, and 73% from the line. Other schools will continue to go the JUCO route, which always has quite a bit of talent, and under-the-radar guys beyond the top 100 players. To be sure, the power conference schools are sure to do their due diligence through these channels as well, but not likely as much as D1 transfers. Xavier just landed a D2 player of their own in Bryan Griffin, and previously had a guy in Zach Hankins. It will be interesting to see what happens in the coming years with transfers, and the transfer rule that will likely be updated in the coming months will be big in determining how the power conference teams can get guys from the smaller schools.

4/02/2020 9:37 am  #154

To add to the complication of this year's transfer market, the NCAA extended the dead recruiting period through May 31st, effectively meaning that most transfers will have to commit to schools sight unseen in terms of a visit or wait until after that date, leaving them open to the possibility that someone else could take their spot if they are unwilling to commit now. 

4/02/2020 1:10 pm  #155

Josh Pierre-Louis is leaving Temple. Averaged 3.8 ppg, 0.9 rpg, 1.3 apg; 43% FG, 38% 3-pt, 47% FT per 12.7 mpg in 27 GP. I could see him becoming a priority guy for various schools in the A10 looking to fill their roster.

Wouldn't mind either him or Wishart.

Also two more A10 transfers in:
Mark Gasperini (American) headed to UMass. Didn't have a great game against us last year, but a pretty good offensive player.
Jack Forrest (Columbia) headed to St. Joe's. Seems like a step down in terms of education, but Forrest gives the Hawks some more three point shooting. Shot 35% from deep last year for the Lions.

4/02/2020 2:09 pm  #156

dmvpiranha wrote:

Josh Pierre-Louis is leaving Temple. Averaged 3.8 ppg, 0.9 rpg, 1.3 apg; 43% FG, 38% 3-pt, 47% FT per 12.7 mpg in 27 GP. I could see him becoming a priority guy for various schools in the A10 looking to fill their roster.

Wouldn't mind either him or Wishart.

Also two more A10 transfers in:
Mark Gasperini (American) headed to UMass. Didn't have a great game against us last year, but a pretty good offensive player.
Jack Forrest (Columbia) headed to St. Joe's. Seems like a step down in terms of education, but Forrest gives the Hawks some more three point shooting. Shot 35% from deep last year for the Lions.

Not expecting much from either of these guys.  Gasperini is both slow and a below the rim player.  Hard for me to see him making an impact on a good team. If he puts up numbers, it’s probably a bad sign for Umass.   

Forrest, if I remember right from the two times I watched Columbia, was kind of a stand around at the three point line and wait for a shot guy, though it looks like he got more aggressive toward the end of his freshman year.  He was just a freshman so maybe he’ll shoot better and/or develop into a more well rounded player with better coaching. B

4/02/2020 2:55 pm  #157

Travis Branham @TravisBranham_ 
Source: Richmond sophomore Jake Wojcik has entered the transfer portal. Averaged 3.0 points and 2.1 rebounds.

4/02/2020 8:29 pm  #158

Colby Giacubeno[/url] [url=https://twitter.com/ColbyGHoops]@ColbyGHoops·4h Former @MSJ_Basketball standout James Bishop officially in the transfer portal. Spent his freshman year at LSU. The 6-foot-2 lefty will have programs calling quickly. Natural three-level scorer.

4/03/2020 9:12 am  #159

I don't have any specific information but if I were to bet on which guys we are going to get I would look hard at Lindo and Wishart. Seem to be fits for us for a lot of reasons. If we get Lindo that would probably signal the end of Javy's tenure here and if we get Wishart, I'd probably look at someone like Walker leaving. Of course, we could get neither and Javy and Walker are back here next year.

Last edited by GWRising (4/03/2020 9:15 am)

4/03/2020 9:38 am  #160

It looks like GW's incoming freshman Tyler Brelsford and James Bishop were teammates at Mount St.Joe's for a few years, J.Bishop reuniting with his former MSJ teammate at GW may appeal to J.Bishop. J.Bishop didn't get a lot of playing time at LSU as a freshman this past season, so I don't know how much interest Georgetown or Maryland would have in him, if he wants to come back home to play. 

I like Ricky Lindo from Maryland, he's long, athletic and played on the perimeter in high school, the fact that he became a decent rebounder in limited minutes at Maryland indicates the type of potential he has. I'm assuming Rhode Island will go after him hard since he went to the same high school as the Mitchell twins, who recently committed to Rhode Island. 

Highly sought after Columbia grad transfer Patrick Tape backed out of his commitment to Duke yesterday!! According to twitter, Jim Boeheim was able to get him to back out of Duke and he will announce his intention to sign with Syracuse very soon.

About BCS schools dipping further down for transfers nowadays and the NCAA seriously considering waiving the 'Sit-Out-For-1-Year' rule, the ONLY good thing in it for non BCS schools is, you'll see more BCS guys transferring down. BCS coaches will be a lot more quicker to run off guys which will help the non BCS schools. 

Last edited by Thomas (4/03/2020 9:54 am)

Board footera