GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/11/2020 12:20 pm  #1

Hyduke also?

Raoul[/url] [url=https://twitter.com/Raoul_000]@Raoul_000·3h Hearing that Tori Hyduke (5-6 RS FR point guard, Fair Haven, NJ) is in the transfer portal out of George Washington WBB; 2019-20 stats: appeared in all 30 games, starting 28 and averaging 9 PPG (2nd on team), 2.4 RPG, and 2 APG in 29.4 MPG; was 50 for 125 on 3-pointers (40%)

Whats going on? This one will really hurt

4/11/2020 8:45 pm  #2

Re: Hyduke also?

so far that's 3 of the top 4 players leaving.  Maund is a grad transfer so she'll probably be gone.  Hyduke and Mokwuah transferring.  Taiwo presumably staying.   Not good news.

4/12/2020 2:22 pm  #3

This is alarming. And word close to campus is that there may be others. Might be time for TV to make a decision here in the best interests of the program. 

4/12/2020 2:51 pm  #4

That decision should have been made earlier in my opinion, now is almost too late.  Maybe already too late.

4/13/2020 1:32 pm  #5

Most players transfer because of lack of playing time. I'd argue that it's debatable whether that is totally a coaching decision or over estimation of one's own talent. It may be a reflection of the coach, but not the university.  Hyduke's case (if she does transfer) seems to be an anomaly, because she got a lot of minutes, perhaps more than her level of performance merited-- so maybe there is something else going on there. An issue with today's athletes is that many think they are too good to be sitting on the bench, where as in the "old" days, players didn't get their real opportunities until they were juniors and seniors. It's going to be interesting to see if Hyduke and MoKwuah transfer up or down with respect to the level of competition at their new destinations.

4/13/2020 2:11 pm  #6

xAC wrote:

Most players transfer because of lack of playing time. I'd argue that it's debatable whether that is totally a coaching decision or over estimation of one's own talent. It may be a reflection of the coach, but not the university.  Hyduke's case (if she does transfer) seems to be an anomaly, because she got a lot of minutes, perhaps more than her level of performance merited-- so maybe there is something else going on there. An issue with today's athletes is that many think they are too good to be sitting on the bench, where as in the "old" days, players didn't get their real opportunities until they were juniors and seniors. It's going to be interesting to see if Hyduke and MoKwuah transfer up or down with respect to the level of competition at their new destinations.

Two of the top three returning scorers have now stated their intention to transfer. There are rumors of other impending departures and a strong rumor that one of the commits is re-thinking her commitment. Each time this year I have heard a rumor about a women's player leaving it eventually became true. This is no longer seeing smoke to determine if there is a fire. There is a four alarm fire burning and we can now see the flames.

Plenty of time to do a coaching search - it's only April 13th.

4/13/2020 6:34 pm  #7

GWRising wrote:

This is alarming. And word close to campus is that there may be others. Might be time for TV to make a decision here in the best interests of the program. 

This season was a coaching disaster. BC and I watched games together online together and by mid-season he would take a leave for a while and watch the score because it was so painful while I would gut it out. By the end, I couldn't stand the terrible basketball. When the team then started going to sub five players every four minutes...it was off the rails. There was talent there but no player development and no common sense. Errors would just string together. 

At that point I started leaving the games earlier and earlier. BC started asking me what I thought.... and the answer was always te same, you have to get it a new coach. 

GWRising, you are right that there should be alarm bells ringing. I know what is holding back such a move,,,we all think that our recruiting would be great with our coaches experiences at UCONN and coachg with the national team. The recruiting hasn't been swamped us with players who can't overcome the state of the system.

Also there has to be a factor of supporting a woman coach. You have to pull the plug on both  male and female coaches who are not a good match for the competition and our University. The coach can get another job right away with her connections. We have gone with assistant from top programs and those folks you never know the true commitment and there is a likelihood that GW is just a stepping stone. 

I would suggest a local female coach who would be able to develop players; game coach; and recruit locally ... let them build back the GWU brand -- stabilize the program. We had a good conversation on this topic back near the end of the regular program. I would move fast because that would give some of the players who are thinking of leaving a chance to meet a new coach. Similar like what happened with JC on the Men's side.

My first thought is Megan Gebbia of AU. Her teams can win 20 games a year.

A second suggestion is Diane Richardson who passed through GWU for 4 years that covered the JJ story. She has coached many of the areas best bigs. Now at Towson as head coach.

Either coach would be safe for the AD. I say do it!!! 

Last edited by russianthistle (4/13/2020 6:41 pm)

4/13/2020 6:43 pm  #8

I would add TJ, because I like her.

4/13/2020 7:29 pm  #9

BC wrote:

I would add TJ, because I like her.

We owe here an interview!!!

When I say that I mean real consideration

Board footera