GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/03/2021 3:17 pm  #141

Re: Recruit: Tafara Gapare, Forward, 2022 - (Committed to Massachusetts)

Dang, but this has felt inevitable honestly for some time now. Given we already had 1 scholarship open including Gapare it would have been nice to have filled the 12th scholarship earlier. I hope Bryan ends up taking one of the open ones now at least.

After Buchanan took his official to Pitt this past weekend, I think it's pretty much a matter of time before we hear his commitment there. Having a teammate from Team Durant going there seemed to have made a difference.

Coach Devlin was in Memphis yesterday so wonder if we're pursuing Amarr Knox who recently decommitted from Memphis as Penny Hardaway continues to stock up on top HS talent. Maybe some HS recruiting too.

11/03/2021 3:35 pm  #142

jf wrote:

[What are the NCAA rules for recruits from New Zealand? Do they always have to wait until the start of the year to sign a letter of intent? Do other schools with New Zealand recruits always have them supposedly coming in mid year without signing? And in any case, shouldn't we have known what we are getting into?

A verbal commit can have a change of heart, but this was a long, long, probably expensive recruiting process that tied up our recruiting. Or if it didn't tie up recruiting, and we knew it, we didn't take advantage by signing someone else this year.
      Bottom line appears to be: either by Gapare or ourselves, it seems like we got played. 

1. Yeah, unless they come over early to align with our schedule, they are typically mid-year eligible.  Nima signed another kiwi at Fordham by the name of Zach Riley (same birth year as Gapare) and he will be enrolling in December. 

2.  I think your bottom line is where I'm at. For all parties involved it would've been much better had the decision to not honor his verbal been known months ago so we all could move on. 

11/03/2021 9:07 pm  #143

GW0509 wrote:

jf wrote:

[What are the NCAA rules for recruits from New Zealand? Do they always have to wait until the start of the year to sign a letter of intent? Do other schools with New Zealand recruits always have them supposedly coming in mid year without signing? And in any case, shouldn't we have known what we are getting into?

A verbal commit can have a change of heart, but this was a long, long, probably expensive recruiting process that tied up our recruiting. Or if it didn't tie up recruiting, and we knew it, we didn't take advantage by signing someone else this year.
      Bottom line appears to be: either by Gapare or ourselves, it seems like we got played. 

1. Yeah, unless they come over early to align with our schedule, they are typically mid-year eligible.  Nima signed another kiwi at Fordham by the name of Zach Riley (same birth year as Gapare) and he will be enrolling in December. 

2.  I think your bottom line is where I'm at. For all parties involved it would've been much better had the decision to not honor his verbal been known months ago so we all could move on. 

Perhaps JC knew months ago. That's all that matters.

11/04/2021 9:11 am  #144

Why won’t you let us be disappointed.

11/04/2021 3:44 pm  #145

How are you disappointed in losing something you never had and only heard about second hand?  This is the business of recruiting ... offers aren't commitments, commitments aren't binding and even LOIs can be defeated. It's a dirty nasty business and if you take the position that you will only be invested once the recruit dons a GW jersey in a game, I promise you won't be that disappointed. I'm more disappointed in guys who transfer than guys who never come to GW. This is especially true in this case when you know why a recruit is no longer coming to GW. Time to move on and find someone else. I promise that is what JC is doing (and should be doing) and isn't looking in the rearview mirror. Not sure why it is so hard here to do that. Wish the kid well and let's get back to discussing who is actually playing for us.

Last edited by GWRising (11/04/2021 3:48 pm)

11/04/2021 4:59 pm  #146

As of August 23, Rising, you said that he was still committed to GW.  And there was lots to be excited about--just as we get about almost every prospect--then, in November that commitment is out the window. I'm not upset with him. I'm not even upset with GW. It's part of the game. I am upset as a fan because I was looking forward to watching him play for the team I root for. Of course JC has to move on, as does the team. They have to prepare to put the best team out there that they can. Of course I will root for whoever is in the jersey on game day. But I'm not the coach or the team. I'm a fan, and having spent time learning about him and watching highlights, it's disappointing I won't get to see him in a GW uniform.  Not sure why that's hard to grasp.

11/05/2021 2:55 am  #147

I could not have said it better.So I won’t.Colonoscopy today.TMI?

11/05/2021 8:58 am  #148

100% danjsport. The idea that we shouldn't feel anything about this news is so strange!

11/05/2021 2:25 pm  #149

While this was indeed not a surprise, there are a number of questions:
If we are now arguing Gapare's not that good, why did we offer him and accept his commit and honor it for so long, while he didn't?
  Let's face it, he had looked like a giant among munchkins in some clips, but then was said to have New Zealand (not exactly the NBA) pro potential, be good in international competition and an AAU tournament. Did we misjudge his talent level? That happens as we all know, but usually after a player gets here. It's not a plus for a recruit we considerable time and money on recruiting.
    If it was academics for a player that's let's say for graciousness was in a foreign educational system, in the year and a half or whatever long engagement with Gapare that was broken, why didn't we realize that?
   Since we knew Gapare wasn't coming, why was his spot left open? Seems like there are only 11 scholarship players on the roster.  Now, at least 4 were injured (Lee, Lindo, Bamisile) or not apparently playing at full strength (Harris) at the start of the season, including a key big man.
         True, it's just one recruit. But we need all the help we can get. And the whole situation doesn't cover us in glory.

11/05/2021 3:22 pm  #150

jf, I think you should do an investigative report of this crime of the century. I am sure there are many juicy details of lies and deception all designed to make the GW fanbase suffer. Have at it lol.

Last edited by GWRising (11/05/2021 3:22 pm)

11/05/2021 3:28 pm  #151

danjsport wrote:

As of August 23, Rising, you said that he was still committed to GW.  And there was lots to be excited about--just as we get about almost every prospect--then, in November that commitment is out the window. I'm not upset with him. I'm not even upset with GW. It's part of the game. I am upset as a fan because I was looking forward to watching him play for the team I root for. Of course JC has to move on, as does the team. They have to prepare to put the best team out there that they can. Of course I will root for whoever is in the jersey on game day. But I'm not the coach or the team. I'm a fan, and having spent time learning about him and watching highlights, it's disappointing I won't get to see him in a GW uniform.  Not sure why that's hard to grasp.

On August 23 he was still committed to GW. Things changed. Maybe it's me but I don't get too upset at 18-19 year olds changing their minds and realize that with every recruit there is a fluid situation until they arrive on campus. If you have kids who have gone through those years you will probably understand what I am talking about. Best not to get too committed to the commits these days as they often say.

Last edited by GWRising (11/05/2021 3:28 pm)

11/05/2021 3:38 pm  #152

Forgive me Rising.I got caught up in trying to convince you of what I perceive as obvious.That’s my problem.

11/05/2021 5:17 pm  #153

I don’t get upset at the kid.  Just like I don’t get upset at jammer jr leaving or battle leaving. I get upset because it negatively impacts the team I root for.  Lots of recruits could have come while we waited on a guy to come, who you now paint as maybe not good enough. So then I’m upset we held out for a player not good enough. And, if he’s good, I’m upset a good one got away.  Kids also get injured.  I’m still upset ira Lee got hurt

11/05/2021 5:24 pm  #154

danjsport wrote:

I don’t get upset at the kid. Just like I don’t get upset at jammer jr leaving or battle leaving. I get upset because it negatively impacts the team I root for. Lots of recruits could have come while we waited on a guy to come, who you now paint as maybe not good enough. So then I’m upset we held out for a player not good enough. And, if he’s good, I’m upset a good one got away. Kids also get injured. I’m still upset ira Lee got hurt

Where did I say he was not good enough? I said it was a variety of factors and included as one that he might not be as good as previously thought. That doesn't mean he might not be good enough to play at GW. It just might mean some of the things you would do to secure a true 4* guy you might not do for a 2* guy including how GW looked at his academic enrollment from a foreign country.

How do you know this negatively impacts the team? You would have to have a crystal ball to know that. You would have to know what the alternatives are for that scholarship and whether they are better or worse. I don't think you or I know any of that right now.

So again I am neutral on all of this until demonstrated otherwise. 

11/05/2021 7:22 pm  #155

Stop trying to get Rising to understand.He will not budge ever..He must have the last word.
Let him have it.It doesn’t change what we all know to be true.——-Gapara not coming is disappointing.

11/05/2021 9:50 pm  #156

Erik Copes was a disappointing lost recruit until he wasn’t based on Mason’s experience with him. He’s currently playing in Albania and apparently doing well but that certainly wasn’t his college experience. A number of factors, not the least of which was Nima’s departure, have been contributing to a growing expectation that Gapare wasn’t coming to GW. Wasn’t hard or necessary to read between the lines. Rising prefers to see a glass half full with his decommitment for a variety of reasons including the opening it creates for a potential recruit. I tend to share that view. Most want to see this as a disappointment of varying degrees. If I ever get confused what college team I support, I only need to read this thread to be reminded that it’s The George Washington University.

11/06/2021 8:55 am  #157

Promise-my last post on this. Poog your post both in tone and content was pitch perfect.My only-and very 
significant difference between us is that I wanted to find out if he was our bust,transformational 
player or something in between.The example of Copes is I believe a straw argument.By the way ,I really 
enjoy your careful,caring and well written posts.Never feels combative.

1/01/2022 5:48 pm  #158

Not a recruit anymore but i thought it was interesting that he appears to be visiting Maryland (from his Instagram)

1/01/2022 6:57 pm  #159

Another waste of time talking about someone who is not coming. Ala Nigel. Until a recruit actually is here we should just stop talking about him. A superstar has committed, yeah, sure. What is the word, bullshit. And UT got screwed by ACC refs the other day. Anyway I wish everyone a happy New Year. Stay safe and healthy.

1/01/2022 7:57 pm  #160

It was actually a great thing for GW that he left us in the lurch, keeping the scholarship open for his midyear
enrollment.
We don't need any help or players that size this year, anyway

Board footera