GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/30/2020 2:47 pm  #1

Projecting The Starting 5

Jon Rothstein gave it a shot:  JNJ, Bishop, Moyer, Battle and Jack.

Assuming that none of the freshmen start, the only other candidates are Harris assuming he plays which isn't likely, Paar and Seymour.  Sloan would appear to be a logical weapon coming off of the bench.  I'd like to see Chase out there as a starter but that would mean sitting someone.  That someone in my mind would be Maceo but JC may not be inclined to sit a senior who has been a two year starter.  I do think that both Maceo and Sloan will end up being 20+ minute players whether they start or not.  

9/30/2020 4:32 pm  #2

Re: Projecting The Starting 5

JNJ, Bishop, Battle, Jack, Paar

I had the same thought process. My one quibble with Rothstein's prediction was that Paar was not included in the starting lineup. I think he'll start over Moyer. I know he's a grad transfer from the SEC, but he wasn't a starter there and really didn't get a lot of minutes. That being said, I bet Moyer will average over 20 minutes a game. I also agree Sloan will get a ton of minutes off the bench.

9/30/2020 5:40 pm  #3

I was going to say the same thing as Geno.  I think we'll see a bunch of interchangeable lineups during the game depending on matchups.  The only two I see being out there for 33+ min consistently are Bishop and Battle.

9/30/2020 10:41 pm  #4

Bishop, Jack, Battle, Seymour, Paar

JNJ, Moyer and Dean off the bench first.

10/01/2020 8:43 am  #5

I would go with either GWMayhem's lineup of JNJ-Bishop-Moyer-Battle-Jack or Geno's JNJ-Bishop-Battle-Jack-Paar. Most coaches tend to go the seniority route that GWMayhem proposed, however JC has struck me as never really caring too much about that, especially given his own experience of playing sparingly his senior year at MSM. If a younger guy is talented he doesn't hesitate to give him minutes which is why I am leaning towards Geno's. Having Maceo come off the bench is an option as well as a sixth man, but I think his role his set in the starting lineup, and anyways putting both Moyer and Paar up front will potentially compromise spacing.

I think JC will certainly deploy a two guard look at all times with a secondary ball-handler as he likes to run a lot of ball screen action with guards at the top of the key. He has been pretty consistent saying JNJ will be the starting point, and even if he is still not 100% there yet, Bishop will be there to shoulder the load a bit. Based on their shooting history, I'm more inclined to have Bishop off ball than JNJ, although it's very possible JNJ has worked on his shot this offseason. When JNJ subs out, replace him with Tyler who will have the advantage of knowing how Bishop operates.

Moyer has the pedigree to be productive no doubt (and was actually pretty efficient his freshman year at Syracuse), but I think he is probably best suited down low than a bigger wing. While it would be cool if he could expand his range and give us 5 guys on the floor who are threats to shoot from deep, he has never had the consistent stroke. I guess it is worth noting that he has also been a part time starter at both Syracuse and Vanderbilt, but the seniority thing as mentioned might make him a useful depth piece. Can we afford to have stretches where he plays small ball 5 with four threats dotting the perimeter? That could be fun.

I think Sloan's role is tailor-made to be a microwave scorer off the bench given his elite shooting. However, I think he needs to show he can play more than 15 minutes right now because I am not sold on his defense. Defense is still somewhat of a question mark going into the season for the entire team really - hopefully we have the depth for more of a pressure scheme. A lot of times with Sloan in, Siena was basically playing 5 on 4 on that end which will potentially hurt us in the A10. Additionally, he needs to definitely contribute a bit more on the boards by default given his 6-9 height. This has been mentioned in the past, but how you can pull down 23 rebounds in 33 games given that height almost strikes me as trying to avoid rebounding the ball while in the game - this was playing 27 minutes a contest!

I still think Chase did not get enough credit for how well he played his freshman year, and that is not even showcasing a pretty good outside shot which can give us some unique looks at the 5. I haven't seen a player (especially a big) be that productive in their inaugural A10 season after basically not playing during OOC season. He was also leading the league in FG% for a good stretch as well. While I think not playing him more than 25-28 minutes max will keep him fresh, I think he definitely deserves a starting nod.

This really leaves us with Jamison, who JC has mentioned several times this offseason in interviews that Battle will be playing potentially the 2 in a lot of sets this coming year. The conundrum is which lineup would exist that would allow Jamison to play the 2 unless we go really big with Moyer, Dean (after midseason), and Paar. I get not playing Jamison at the 4 if he has improved his footwork to stay with his man on penetration, but I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to have him as a stretch 4 because I think he did a pretty good job down low for his freshman year (and was an underrated rebounder).

10/01/2020 9:36 am  #6

Two things worth noting about Moyer.  First, he has a ton of natural talent that for the most part has not materialized throughout his college career.  Maybe injuries brought him down, maybe the level of competition had much to do with this.  The fact that he has had some strong games against top programs is encouraging.  In this sense, I am reminded of Tyler Cavanaugh's career at Wake Forest  which while also inconsistent (though a bit more consistent than Matthew), also produced a few big-time performances.  This year, Moyer is presumably healthy and playing for a mid-major program.  His play has the potential of being a very pleasant surprise.  Second, I think that JC is really counting on his leadership skills.  That's never easy for any player during the first year of having joined an established program but in this sense, it's an advantage that this team has had as much turnover as it has.  Both Zeke and Tyler transferred into teams that needed leadership and both seamlessly filled this role.  Matthew is a 4th year player who will be playing his fourth head coach.  He has seen a lot and has much to offer by way of leadership.  I suspect that this intangible, along with his potential, results in his being in the starting lineup.

Last edited by Gwmayhem (10/01/2020 9:37 am)

10/01/2020 10:25 am  #7

JC has repeated many times how much he likes a tall starting lineup to intimidate opponents.  JNJ, Bishop, Jack, Battle, Moyer/Paar would be one of shorter starting lineups in the A-10.  The lineup I suggested would be ML-esque in height and allow for swapping out Bishop/JNJ every few games to keep them both happy.

10/01/2020 11:35 am  #8

We need some height on this team, so you have to include Parr, I don't think Moyer or Bishop transferred here to sit on the bench, so they start.  

Bishop. Battle, Jack, Moyer, Parr

JNJ comes off the bench as your 6th man who can light it up, like Mo Rice back in the day.  

10/01/2020 11:44 am  #9

JNJ is not at GW to come off the bench. Just sayin'

10/01/2020 12:21 pm  #10

Would again love to see Maceo be the guy off of the bench.  His game is well suited for this.  Plus, it would send out a great message to his teammates, embracing this role rather than sulking over it.

The fact of the matter is that this team's talent level has been elevated since the end of last season.  Paar, Battle, JNJ, Bishop and Moyer should be the starting lineup.  Maceo and Sloan coming in at the same time could give defenses lots of problems.

10/01/2020 1:01 pm  #11

JC could commit to a really strong offense and run a 3pt shooting lineup of JNJ, Mace, Battle,Sloan and Paar with moyer and bishop first off the bench.

10/01/2020 1:39 pm  #12

I guess it is possible that the starting lineup, crunch time lineup, and lineup that plays the majority of the minutes could all be different.

The thing with Moyer is he is a career 21% three point shooter and this was taking 4-5 threes a game while at Vanderbilt. It's probably fair to assume that last year's decline offensively had more to do with injuries because he's been decent otherwise on that end (inside the paint) and a respectable defender. I just feel if we have him and Chase out there together no one will respect Matthew's shot from distance, and pack the paint making it harder on JNJ/Bishop to find room in the lane to penetrate and kick it out to the snipers we have.

We also need some firepower/scoring coming off the bench, which is where Maceo or Sloan would play the perfect role. I think we could even get away with playing Sloan more if we played more than 1% of our defensive possessions in zone (which I am hopeful that we will - it will also be helpful for Moyer who has experience using his length in the zone at Syracuse). I know Sloan played on a young and not very talented Siena team, but per sports-reference he gave up 114.7 points per 100 possessions, which is worse than really anyone we've had on scholarship in the past 10 years, and that includes Maceo's freshman year.

If JNJ is coming off the bench either early in the season or by the end of the season it would tell me that he didn't meet expectations coming into the year which would sound a lot like Terry's sophomore campaign.

I 100% understand the desire to play big and think that's a good idea, which seems to align with JC wanting to play Battle even at the 2, but I don't know how realistic it is from a defensive standpoint. JNJ was one of our better defenders, and although Bishop wasn't great at LSU, it's hard to assess his play when it was mostly in garbage time so you have to give him the chance to potentially fortify our shell along the perimeter. Amir getting hurt is really crushing because he gives us so much on that end.

This is more of a lineup discussion rather than a defensive one, but I think rim protection might be an issue again this season. We will be better than last year, and there is a good chance that experience will improve things the following year, but one of the bigger problems with our running guys off the three point line was enabling the opposition to get into the paint, where we didn't really have anyone who could stop them from converting near the rim. Chase was a pretty good defender, but doesn't have the height to be a true rim protector. The hope is either Noel or Hunter emerge here, but the relative inexperience would make this a challenge for the upcoming season. I am less concerned offensively, but we will need to keep scoring if our defense holds us back, and given our 'live by the three, die by the three' approach, we will have cold shooting nights where we will need our defense to keep us in the game. Defense has to be considered with the lineups, but maybe JC doesn't feel that way.

10/04/2020 9:54 pm  #13

You'll should be paying attention to hunter dean.

Board footera