GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/14/2021 11:40 am  #221

Re: Other Games - November

FQ you're right, I overrated Georgetown and maybe Maryland. I checked Georgetown's board and saw that they are projected to be a 12 or 13 seed. Georgetown had beaten some top 5 Big East teams since they returned form the COVID pause, and I overlooked the fact that the Big East is down this year, Georgetown also lost to the quality OOC teams(West Virginia and Syracuse) that they played.

I thought Maryland could be a 7 or 8 because of how strong the Big 10 is, Maryland did win at Illinois and beat  other upper-tier Big 10 teams this year. I agree with you about middle-of-the-pack BCS teams like Maryland getting endless opportunities to beat great teams in conference, and being rewarded when they only go 6-9 against these teams, while elite non BCS schools only get about 3 chances against these teams, if they are lucky. If St.Louis or maybe even Drake got 15 chances to play Big 10 teams, they could at least go 6-9 too. 

About Villanova, there's no chance that the committee will screw over Villanova like they did to GW's 2006 team. Villanova will probably still get a 3 or 4 seed, but I don't see how they can beat the 5 or 6 seeded BCS team that they'll face in the 2nd round(they may even have trouble with their 1st round opponent!!). Jay Wright talked about how he's never had a key player get injured this late into the season. Gillespie got hurt in the 2nd to last game of the regular season. They did look okay for most of their game against Georgetown, but they haven't had enough time to adjust to playing without Gillespie.

The Dude,  I believe you or someone else on here pointed out that Pitino actually had NCAA infractions at Hawaii when he was very young, that's why I brought it up. I guess it shows that Pitino had the 'F@#K The Rules' mentality right out of the gate!! LOL  I agree about the 1995-1996 Kentucky team, that was probably one of the great teams in the history of teams sports period, they just destroyed everyone. I think there only loss was to Calipari's UMass team with Marcus Camby. 

Loyola(MD) vs Colgate   right now   CBS SportsNetwork  - we have another local team who can make the NCAAA tournament as Loyola plays for the Patriot League title. Loyola is the 9 seed and Colgate is the 2 seed even though they are 13-1. Loyola upset the top seed Navy in the quarterfinals. Navy must have been the team that beat Colgate if they earned the 1 seed. It's also surprising that Navy played so well this year(they beat Georgetown too) and lost in the quarterfinal round.

VCU vs St. Bonaventure   A-10 Championship Game   1   CBS  -  I'm interested to see how both teams come out for this game considering they've been off for 8 days and are both safely in the NCAA tournament.
LSU vs Alabama   SEC Championship Game               1    ESPN 
Ohio State vs Illinois   Big 10 Championship Game      3:30  CBS

3/14/2021 12:40 pm  #222

Thomas, did he? looks like he filled in for 6 games? what's the story at Hawaii?
If you are totally rolling in college hoops, Few, K, Izzo, Boeheim, etc, seems so much better to roll on for decades (among many other life choice regrets) if Pitino had to do it over again, he never leaves Kentucky for the NBA right? 

How many titles would Kentucky have under Pitino the last 25 years?

3/14/2021 2:01 pm  #223

I'll have to look up Pitino's Hawaii tenure, I did read somewhere that he had some rules infractions there, I thought I read it here or the old board. I agree that Pitino would stay at Kentucky if he could do it all over again. His motivation to leave Kentucky(besides the money and GM duties) must have been coaching a historic franchise like the Celtics and getting the #1 pick in Tim Duncan who everyone correctly projected as a dominant, franchise-changing, hall of fame player. There's no telling how many titles Pitino would have won if he stayed at Kentucky for all these years instead of leaving after the 96-97, that's a good question, maybe 7 or 8 more? Pitino would have had the type of run that Nick Saban is now having at Alabama.

St. Bonaventure and VCU are having a very physical, chippy game today. It looks like St. Bonaventure will pull this out as they've had an 8-15 point lead for pretty much the entire game. Seeing the best 2 teams in the A10 projected as 10(Bonnies) and 11 seeds(VCU) is a bit disappointing to me. 

3/14/2021 3:26 pm  #224

Thomas wrote:

I'll have to look up Pitino's Hawaii tenure, I did read somewhere that he had some rules infractions there, I thought I read it here or the old board. I agree that Pitino would stay at Kentucky if he could do it all over again. His motivation to leave Kentucky(besides the money and GM duties) must have been coaching a historic franchise like the Celtics and getting the #1 pick in Tim Duncan who everyone correctly projected as a dominant, franchise-changing, hall of fame player. There's no telling how many titles Pitino would have won if he stayed at Kentucky for all these years instead of leaving after the 96-97, that's a good question, maybe 7 or 8 more? Pitino would have had the type of run that Nick Saban is now having at Alabama.

St. Bonaventure and VCU are having a very physical, chippy game today. It looks like St. Bonaventure will pull this out as they've had an 8-15 point lead for pretty much the entire game. Seeing the best 2 teams in the A10 projected as 10(Bonnies) and 11 seeds(VCU) is a bit disappointing to me. 

By every metric, Bonnies should be a 7 or 8.  They are top 25 in KenPom and I think just outside it in the Net (probably before hammering VCU today).  Assuming they do get screwed with a 10 seed, i would hate to be the 7 seed that draws them.

3/14/2021 3:34 pm  #225

The question with St Bona is will their lack of depth catch up with them in the second round or the Sweet 16. They are going to bust many people´s brackets (mine included) and there is not a team in the country that wants to be drawn in to their side of the bracket. If VCU plays defense as well as it can (like when they cut the deficit to 7 today), they will be a force to reckon with, otherwise teams have to be hoping to be drawn against them (as Team Olean showed for most of the game today). Hope SLU slips in (with Duke putting all undergrads on lockdown, their chances may have just improved) but realize it is a big ask unless CBS needs to increase its presence in the Missouri market.

3/14/2021 4:31 pm  #226

Not a men's game, but ex-GW player Kendall Bresee and Mt. Saint Mary's destroy Wagner to get into the tournament. Bresee almost had a triple-double with 10 points, 8 rebounds, and 8 assists. Very happy for her and wish the team lots of luck in the tournament.

3/14/2021 4:32 pm  #227

GW Alum Abroad and FQ,  it certainly would be great to see St. Bonaventure get a 10 or 11 seed and then proceed to beat down the 5th or 6th place team from a BCS conference in the 1st round of the tournament, and have their fans wondering, "Who The Hell Is St. Bonaventure" during and after the game!! FQ, you could be right about St. Bonaventure actually being a couple spots higher than a 10 seed, I was just going by what they kept showing during the game from CBS' bracketology guy.

3/14/2021 7:02 pm  #228

Thomas, I think it was as an assistant, but he we alleged to have been involved! Didn't take long!

3/17/2021 3:36 pm  #229

With four A-10 teams in the NIT, this thread continues.

Toledo at Richmond                    7   ESPN2 - Richmond was the preseason favorite to win the A10, most of their starters are seniors. The COVID pause after they won at Kentucky probably derailed their season. 

Western Kentucky at St. Louis    9  ESPN2 - when is it decided whether St. Louis gets to replace a team in the NCAA tournament?

3/17/2021 3:55 pm  #230

Thomas, already decided that there will not be any replacement teams participating in the NCAA's.  All 68 schools are fielding a team, or will be forfeiting if they can't suit up a minimum of five players.

3/17/2021 9:09 pm  #231

Richmond beats Toledo, the A10 was a lot better this year, in a non Covid season could have played up to 4 teams in the Dance.  One of the conferences most impacted by Covid, I believe lost the most games to it.

Much deeper league than in most years, a very real chance one of the 4 A10 teams win the NIT 

3/18/2021 12:27 pm  #232

The Dude,  I agree that if this was a normal season, the A10 had a good chance to get at least 4 teams (St.Bonaventure, VCU, Richmond, St.Louis) in the NCAA tournament. Richmond won last night without Blake Francis and Grant Golden. As for next year, it will be interesting to see what the impact seniors decide to do...stay, transfer, or start their professional career? Rhode Island's Fats Russell has decided to transfer, St.Louis forward Javonte Perkins announced that he's going to return, Richmond has a bunch of very good seniors who could come back next year.

NC State vs. Davidson   7   ESPN

I mixed up St. Louis and St. Mary's, St. Mary's played Western Kentucky last night(and lost), St. Louis plays Mississippi State tomorrow or Saturday.  

3/18/2021 12:32 pm  #233

Agreed, in fact Richmond entered the year the strongest A10 team and given a full normal season I think would have been.  

Fats is a 4th year senior, from Hurley's last recruiting class, does that mean that mean every guy who played this year, no matter eligibility, is eligible to play again next year if they chose to?

3/18/2021 1:01 pm  #234

Yeah, this was pretty much a free year for everyone. Players will keep the same classification next year that they had coming into this season. I assume that's why Lindo decided to play, he'll still be considered a redshirt JR next season and have 2 more years of eligibility left. I'm interested to see what Davidson's Kellen Grady decides to do. He'd have a small chance at making an NBA roster next season but he'd be highly sought after by BCS schools if he decided to transfer.

3/18/2021 1:17 pm  #235

So, for the huge number of seniors, including the pedestrian solid player, and the lightly used players, do they come back? What happens where you recruited a class of Freshman expecting several seniors to run out of eligibility but they want to come back T?

3/18/2021 2:28 pm  #236

It would seem to me that the only reasonable answer is to these holdover senior/grad student types not to count against the 13 scholarship limit, but what do I know?  I imagine that many of the marginal/graduate players will leave anyway so the problem won't be as large as one might expect.

Last edited by BC (3/18/2021 2:29 pm)

3/18/2021 4:39 pm  #237

If a senior stays for the extra year, it doesn't count towards the scholarship limit. But if they leave and use that extra year of eligibility somewhere else, they DO count towards the scholarship limit for that team. So Matt wouldn't count if he stayed but if we got Fatts or Kellen (just using those two as an example cause they were mentioned above, they are not coming here) they WOULD count. 

Last edited by GW18 (3/18/2021 5:34 pm)

3/18/2021 4:40 pm  #238

Mezzie is dominating this game!   So good to see.

MSM up 21-18. Mezzie has 7 points, 6 boards right now and even hit a three.

3/18/2021 4:41 pm  #239

Mezie with the Thunder Jam!

3/18/2021 4:41 pm  #240

This is not good for us, as we have no seniors.

Board footera