GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/08/2020 6:53 pm  #1

GW vs Delaware Game Thread

Seems we've added Delaware to the schedule, and that is actually our next opponent
Friday

Delaware has a KenPom of 238, we are at 228 so this is another on paper even match up

Televised??

12/09/2020 8:47 am  #2

Re: GW vs Delaware Game Thread

Looks like Flohoops for Delaware game. Check out George Washington athletics website. I believe Delaware game as been on schedule since it was announced. TV information for all games is on the site also. https://gwsports.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule

12/09/2020 9:40 am  #3

UMBC beat Delaware handily last night.  Darnell with 16 points and 8 boards.

12/10/2020 11:26 pm  #4

Looks like it will set you back $30 to watch game     Is anyone going to do it?    Not sure I am willing.

12/11/2020 8:03 am  #5

Not for the way we’ve been playing.

12/11/2020 9:53 am  #6

$30?  I thought they charged $12.95/month.

12/11/2020 10:20 am  #7

$12.95 if you sign up for a year. $30 for a month.

12/11/2020 10:23 am  #8

I signed up for a month last season, as they showed the Bahamas tournament (3 games) that we played in.  $30.00 is a bit steep for one game but still do it.

12/11/2020 10:38 am  #9

Is there a radio broadcast?

12/11/2020 11:26 am  #10

Delaware Blue Hens

Date/Time: Friday December 11th @ 7:00 PM ET at Bob Carpenter Center in Newark, DE.
TV: FloHoops...unfortunately. It's $12.95/month only if you sign up for the yearly deal, otherwise for monthly it's $30. Bad deal for a mediocre service at best.
Ranks: 239th (KenPom), 256th (Bart Torvik), 144th (CBS)
Record Last Year: 22-11, 11-7 (T-4th in CAA)
Projected Record (as of now!): 9-13, 7-11 (9th in CAA)

Coaching Record: Martin Ingelsby, 66-66 in 4 seasons at Delaware. Ingelsby's squads have improved year after year, with last year being the first time the Hens crossed the 20 win mark and finished above .500 in conference play with him on the sideline. It was Delaware's best finish since the 2013-14 squad that made the NCAA tournament as a 13 seed under coach Monte Ross. Prior to taking over head duties at Delaware, Ingelsby spent seven seasons as assistant at his alma mater, Notre Dame, under Mike Brey as well as a season at Wagner. I was surprised to see that he spent six seasons as the director of basketball operations at Notre Dame between his assistant positions as Wagner and ND. Kudos to him for sticking it out, as he was rewarded with a well-deserved promotion in 2009. You just don't usually see someone stay in that position for so long, but it could be loyalty to the school.

All Time Record: 5-1. We handed them their first loss of the season last year, 66-56. Collin Goss had his "revenge game" against us, leading all Blue Hens with 15 points and 7 rebounds. After being tied at the half, the game continued to go back and forth until Armel turned it on late, exploding for 13 points in the final five minutes of the game. Potter led all scorers with 19 points, 4 rebounds, 6 assists, and 2 steals. Three other Colonials finished in double figures, including AT (12 points, 17 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 blocks), JNJ (11 points, 3 rebounds, 2 steals), and Maceo (11 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists). I would be very surprised if the game was that low scoring in the return game of the series. Delaware has given up 76 points in each of the two games they have played so far this year. If you have been betting on GW for whatever reason, it has been pretty much a good bet to take the over anyways.

Offensive Efficiency: 199th (KenPom), 182nd (Bart Torvik)
Defensive Efficiency: 290th (KenPom), 305th (Bart Torvik)
Tempo: 280th (KenPom), 227th (Bart Torvik)
Returning Minutes: 53.3% (210th in country)

Key Returning Players:
Ryan Allen (SR; Bowie, MD) 12.2 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 2.1 apg; 38% FG, 33% 3-pt, 82% FT
      Last year against us: 9 points; 4-13 FG, 1-5 3-pt in 37 minutes.

Kevin Anderson (SR; Williamsport, PA) 11.5 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 3.7 apg, 1.4 spg; 49% FG, 35% 3-pt, 71% FT
      Last year against us: 10 points, 5 assists; 5-9 FG in 36 minutes (fouled out).

Dylan Painter (RS SR; Hershey, PA) 9.3 ppg, 5.7 rpg; 62% FG, 50% 3-pt, 72% FT
      Last year against us: DNP (not yet eligible)

Key Losses:
Nate Darling (Left Early for Pro Career; Halifax, CAN) 21 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 2.8 apg; 45% FG, 40% 3-pt, 85% FT
Justyn Mutts (Transferred to Virginia Tech; Millville, NJ) 12.2 ppg, 8.4 rpg, 2.2 apg, 1.3 spg; 54% FG, 11% 3-pt, 74% FT

Comments:
This season was supposed to be Delaware's year (and I'm talking about on the court, not that the first state just got their first president in the White House). Martin Ingelsby's squad was set to feature a starting lineup composed of five seniors, all capable of putting up 10+ points a night (a must for the Blue Hens, who hardly play their bench at all - only three teams in D1 had their bench play fewer minutes).

However, it all sounded like too good to be true for UD, as transfers out of the program each offseason have always been a matter of when, not if under Ingelsby's tenure. Two seasons ago, it was Ryan Daly (more on him in February). Last season, it was Ithiel Horton departing for Pitt. This offseason, it was a critical cog in their frontcourt, former GW target Justyn Mutts. Given the departure of old friend Goss, this was just not a loss the Blue Hens could afford up front where they were already thin. The ultimate dagger came when Nate Darling opted to go pro, a surprising move that could at least partly be attributed to uncertainty of a college basketball season. Darling recently signed a two-way contract with the Hornets.

So where does this leave Delaware heading into the 2020-21 season? While it's hard to suggest that they would still be favorites in the CAA (had Mutts and Darling stayed, they would have been unanimously picked first) this should still be a team with enough pieces to be competitive, perhaps with a shot of finishing first in the league. There is enough offensive talent for them to surprise perennial contender Hofstra, and truthfully this edition of the CAA is considerably more watered down than in recent years. William & Mary, JMU, UNCW, and Elon are clearly still in the rebuilding phase (though the Phoenix are quickly bringing in talent), Drexel has not proved to finish above mediocrity, and Charleston/Northeastern, two teams always up there with the best, lost some significant pieces (for Charleston, Grant Riller was drafted in the second round a couple weeks back, and of course for Northeastern it's buddy Jordan Roland - who certainly has a bright future ahead of him playing professionally). Towson seems on paper to be a tougher matchup for them given that they prefer to play bully ball down low.

For the Blue Hens to reach the promised land in March (or April, or May) they need their potent backcourt tandem Ryan Allen and Kevin Anderson to show out on a nightly basis. Allen, a DeMatha product, is the best free throw shooter on the team, and it could serve him well to get to the line as much as possible as he was prone to taking a lot of inefficient midrange shots. This hampered his efficiency, and I remember this happening several times in our game last year. Allen will resume his role as a secondary initiator in the backcourt, perhaps taking on a bit more this year with the departure of Mutts and Darling, both pretty skilled passers in their own right. Anderson should continue to be the primary facilitator in halfcourt settings after pacing the team with just under four dishes a night. He is also a serviceable rebounder and may be their best outside shooter after Darling left.

There are some big questions up front for Delaware this season. Dylan Painter (another former GW target) will be the leader, arriving in Newark after a couple of unproductive years at Villanova. Once eligible in mid December, the center from The Sweetest Place on Earth had a bit of an up and down campaign. He posted a couple of 0 point outings, but did finish half of his appearances in double figures, including three double-doubles in conference play that helped Delaware top JMU, Hofstra, and Drexel. He will be tasked with setting the tone on the glass as well, especially with Mutts unavailable to shoulder some of that load.

While the Allen, Anderson, and Painter trio is expected to lead the way, Delaware is hoping a similar trio of players in their sophomore class can mature quickly and fill in the lost production as best as they can. Johnny McCoy shot the ball well in limited time off the bench and can provide some energy (I do remember him stealing an inbounds pass in the game last year which gave Delaware some momentum). Aleks Novakovich struggled offensively when he took the court last year, but will see his minutes go up by default given the holes up front. He has got off to a much better start this year, and has shown growth in all areas of his game offensively. Ebby Asamoah, Jr. is a MoCo guy (Magruder - Nick Griffin's school) who also shot the ball well in limited time, but only played six minutes a contest in his first year. Asamoah has been red hot from three to begin the year (8/12 so far) and has really become a go-to guy for them as a scoring option this season. I can only hope we don't lose him in the corner playing zone. 

Ingelsby has also added some transfers this offseason, including Anthony Ochefu (Stony Brook), Reginald 'Reggie' Gardner Jr. (NC Central), and Logan Curtis (East Carolina - is it me or do I mention them in every preview somehow?). Unfortunately, the bad news keeps coming for the Blue Hens as it was announced last week that Gardner is out until February with a shoulder injury and Curtis will miss the entire season with a leg injury. Ochefu brings experience up front although he hasn't played much so far.

Given the lack of depth, expect freshmen Andrew Carr and Gianmarco Arletti to make appearances. Carr has done a great job stepping up as a go-to option down low and actually leads the team in assists on the year (although he hasn't provided as much by ways of rebounding). Arletti provides depth and the Italian figures to be a good piece for the Blue Hens long-term.

This feels like a game where playing more uptempo should benefit us, tiring out a Delaware team currently down many bodies. It will be interesting to see how we neutralize shooters like Anderson and Asamoah in the backcourt, and Painter up front. In the grand scheme of things, I'm hoping to see better ball movement and a somewhat effective defense.

Predicted Score: Delaware 76, GW 74. 42% chance to win (Bart Torvik). ESPN must like something they see, because they think we have a 63.9% chance to win as the road team.

12/11/2020 11:29 am  #11

Armel had some crazy great games last year, this was one of them. Tremendous season for Armel.

We got a line yet??

12/11/2020 11:45 am  #12

following a link from the Delaware website should allow you to get it for $12.95 for a month. You may need to use a different email address if you signed up last year. Try going through the link below.

https://www.flohoops.com/signup?sp=caa&utm_campaign=2020caa&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=participatingschool&utm_content=participatingschool&utm_term=delaware&rtid=&coverage_id=

12/11/2020 11:54 am  #13

Key Losses:

Nate Darling
Justyn Mutts

So are you trying to tell me that Collin Goss is a loss but not a key loss?

Not sure we have a true answer for Painter.  DMVPiranha is correct in pointing out his inconsistency but his good games have been very good.  Chase just doesn't seem to be moving well defensively and Matt may be a bit undersized.  Could be a long night if he's not held in check.

No, even I have not bet on GW games this season but I am now officially intrigued by an over under of 147.  I'll lay off this too but will begin monitoring O/U results as "bet on GW" does not appear to make great sense right now.

12/11/2020 3:05 pm  #14

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

Looks like it will set you back $30 to watch game Is anyone going to do it? Not sure I am willing.

Several pirate sites are listing the game (means there is a 80% chance they have the game) for you cheapskates or folks like me who cannot get streaming via legit channels thanks to the geographic limitations. Just have your anti-virus updated and clean out your cookies as soon as the game ends.

12/11/2020 4:52 pm  #15

Also, I just noticed this game tipsoff about eight minutes before sunset where I am. The first media time out better be auspiciously timed, I have candles to light!

12/11/2020 5:58 pm  #16

Hope for a win over Delaware for tonight's Chanukah present for GWAA and all Colonials
fans.
Maceo has at least earned a start.

12/11/2020 7:00 pm  #17

Getting a nice picture thanks to subscribing back in February to watch softball team from Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. Others getting a picture?

12/11/2020 7:05 pm  #18

What happened to every game being on ESPN+?  Thought we signed a deal with them?

12/11/2020 7:07 pm  #19

Anybody got a suggestion for a jolly roger blackbeard site I can use?

12/11/2020 7:09 pm  #20

FQ, Only home games that aren't otherwise televised.

Board footera