GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/27/2023 7:33 pm  #41

Re: Hunter Dean

People use to get a scholarship to get a degree. Very few basketball players get into the pros. So a degree from a good school use to mean something. Transferring out to play a few minutes on a better team or to score more points doesn't seem to make sense. Making college basketball a pre pro league is disturbing.

3/27/2023 7:33 pm  #42

"Bleeding and dysfunction" LMAO 

Hope Hunter comes back for his 5th season, he seemed to really blossom this year, the other 3 guys will really benefit from a fresh opportunity

3/27/2023 7:56 pm  #43

Under NCAA rules, a team has to have seven healthy scholarship players to play. I look at the current GW roster and think "UNDEFEATED SEASON!!!!!". (you cannot lose if you do not play)

3/27/2023 8:11 pm  #44

Tennessee Colonial wrote:

People use to get a scholarship to get a degree. Very few basketball players get into the pros. So a degree from a good school use to mean something. Transferring out to play a few minutes on a better team or to score more points doesn't seem to make sense. Making college basketball a pre pro league is disturbing.

he was honored on senior day so pretty sure he does have his GW degree

3/27/2023 8:17 pm  #45

i think this thread has some of the oddest reactions on this board, and that's saying something

3/27/2023 8:59 pm  #46

Free Quebec-Hunter is leaving because it might be an NIL thing?Seems highly unlikely.-but you never know.
People transfer for different reasons.One size does not fit all.You may know a lot more about college ball than I do-but I stand by my statement.This one just feels a little strange to me.Just a vibe.On whether it's good for the team if he leaves I'll leave up to others who have more acumen than I do.

Last edited by GW69 (3/27/2023 9:29 pm)

3/28/2023 6:38 am  #47

For some reason I wasn't expecting Hunter back but the more I read this thread and think about it, the more sense it makes for him to return. Now that he is in the portal I can't see him coming back but he definitely would have had a prominent role. I do wonder where he thinks he can end up. Does he want to be a bench guy at a P6 school? That seems risky to me, if he ends up at the wrong place he will ride the bench. Does he want to transfer down? Either way it was fun to see him improve throughout his time at GW. Great guy too even if he is a little soft spoken. I will be rooting for him.

Caputo and the rest of the staff definitely have their work cut out for them. 7 open scholarships by my count as of right now. I am hoping for good news soon but I recognize that there is no predicting the transfer portal and we aren't seeing much of the work the staff is doing

3/28/2023 9:59 am  #48

Joel Joseph wrote:

Moneybox, I'm thinking Max. He's young and can add some things to a Power5 team. His benefit would be better exposure and the chance to compete for a championship. 

As for Bishop, CC probably hopes he leaves so he can get his players the time and minutes they need - kind of like ML had to do in his 2nd season at GW with the Freshman 5. A few hear bitched and moaned when he said "good riddance" to Lasan Kromah. Turned out to be a great move.

I love it when a few of our posters opine about what a mistake it is for a player to "transfer" from GW. They never say a word when they "transfer" into GW. Ask yourself who has their best interest in mind? 

I think the transfer of Lasan worked out well for both parties. He did win a national championship while at UConn.

3/28/2023 10:12 am  #49

We are in a whole new era gentlemen (and ladies). Nothing should surprise you. NIL money, the grass is always greener elsewhere, coaching decisions, personal hardship, team fit are some of the many reasons at play. We heard for years how the players were being abused by the "system". Well, now you get a taste of the alternative and for a lot of us, it's pretty bitter. It remains to be seen whether GW can compete in this era. I think CC is doing what he can but we have structural limitations here. Apart from that,  my biggest fear is that Larranaga decides to ride off into the sunset following this run and Miami comes calling. If you think that's impossible, think again. When Kim English gets Providence, it's not that big of a leap to think CC would be very high, if not at the top, on Miami's list. Now factor that into the equation with the current roster uncertainty. Scary times ahead. I will feel better when Larranaga announces he's returning.

3/28/2023 11:25 am  #50

Larranaga's wife says she won't let him retire.  Let's keep that going for a while.

The CC back to Miami concern was one that I raised at the time he was hired.  Rising, I thought I recalled your saying that this wasn't much of a concern in the near term; in fact, I thought you said at the time that CC wasn't even the best candidate on Miami's staff to take over at GW.  Maybe CC has won you over?

One last point...CC's wife Julie has a background in politics/lobbying, I believe.  While she embarked upon this career while living in south Florida, it does stand to reason that living and working in the DC area may have significant advantages pertaining to her own career.

3/28/2023 11:30 am  #51

I would also say there's a certain HC in Boca that may have leapfrogged CC on the Miami wish list.

3/28/2023 12:00 pm  #52

Good points on the Larranaga succession plan, I have been thinking about that too.

Totally agree with GWRising on this new era. As for Miami, while Coach L, CC and staff obviously recruited, developed and coached up this team but lets be clear. This Miami team was bought and paid for my John Ruiz, a local Miami billionaire. You can see the deal for Nigel Pack here.  $800K and a new car. For those that advocated for compensation for players, this is what you get.  

As an alumni, 20+ season ticket holder and monthly contributor to our NIL, I don't see a world where GW can compete in this era. I hope I am wrong though. It is not that we don't have wealthy alumni or local business people, it is that they just don't care because our team is no longer marketable after the neglect and mismanagement by our administration over the past 5 years plus. 

3/28/2023 12:13 pm  #53

GW0509 wrote:

I would also say there's a certain HC in Boca that may have leapfrogged CC on the Miami wish list.

Dusty May has zero connection to Miami. Whoever succeeds Larranaga will almost certainly be someone he is connected to. If CC is the one to eventually take over at Miami, it is almost assured that CC did good work here.

3/28/2023 12:30 pm  #54

How about we wait until after the off-season unfolds before the annual Doom and gloom contrivances

We have a new coach who has been here 11 months the roster will be almost entirely remade, we knew this from day one

If you don't like roster turnover stop advocating for a new coach every 3 years how about some continuity and let a guy build something

3/28/2023 12:58 pm  #55

Just an FYI
UMass just lost Gapare and Weeks to the portal.
They're losing major parts (add in Noah Fernandes and Dyondre Dominguez)

Last edited by Florida Colonial (3/28/2023 12:58 pm)

3/28/2023 1:23 pm  #56

Gwmayhem wrote:

Larranaga's wife says she won't let him retire.  Let's keep that going for a while.

The CC back to Miami concern was one that I raised at the time he was hired.  Rising, I thought I recalled your saying that this wasn't much of a concern in the near term; in fact, I thought you said at the time that CC wasn't even the best candidate on Miami's staff to take over at GW.  Maybe CC has won you over?

One last point...CC's wife Julie has a background in politics/lobbying, I believe.  While she embarked upon this career while living in south Florida, it does stand to reason that living and working in the DC area may have significant advantages pertaining to her own career.

I think there have been a couple of intervening facts here. CC got the GW team to have a better than expected season and Larranaga may win the whole damn thing which he could view as a capstone to his career. He will be 74. He's not coaching forever. So it may be more of a perfect storm type thing if it happens for CC. Timing is everything sometimes. Again, this is conjecture on my part and nothing has happened yet but it's not a far fetched scenario that could be staring us in the face in a week or two. Just like coaches need to be prepared for players going in the portal, TV needs to always be prepared for any eventuality with her coaches.

Selfishly, I hope this doesn't happen. However, I wouldn't be mad at CC if it did. Coaches have to make moves while they can in this quick exit profession. By the way, CC didn't win me over - he didn't have to. At the time, I was way more pissed at GW about the way GW treated JC than concerned about CC's coaching ability. 

3/28/2023 2:56 pm  #57

Typical GW fan lack of confidence.

CC isn't going anywhere. He needs to win some games first and get over .500 before anyone comes around to poach him. Same posters said this about JC throughout his 1st year. The way its looking right now, his 2nd season here doesn't look so bright. Hopefully this will change by Sep.

3/28/2023 3:31 pm  #58

Joel Joseph wrote:

Typical GW fan lack of confidence.

CC isn't going anywhere. He needs to win some games first and get over .500 before anyone comes around to poach him. Same posters said this about JC throughout his 1st year. The way its looking right now, his 2nd season here doesn't look so bright. Hopefully this will change by Sep.

I don't know. Kim English gets Providence. How can you say CC has a worse resume? Plus he was almost wired for that Miami job before. Larranaga retires and anything could happen and probably will. It's the way things are going these days.

3/28/2023 3:36 pm  #59

The Dude wrote:

How about we wait until after the off-season unfolds before the annual Doom and gloom contrivances

We have a new coach who has been here 11 months the roster will be almost entirely remade, we knew this from day one

This

3/28/2023 3:41 pm  #60

Wondering if Miami will try to lean towards a big money hire with all the money surrounding the program at the moment, and that could push them away from a less flashy candidate like CC (just based on name recognition, not coaching acumen).

Board footera