GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/24/2020 2:24 pm  #1

A-10 Transfers (Non-GW) 2020-2021

Guess it's time to start this thread up again

John O'Connor @RTDjohnoconnor 
Freshman Andre Weir, 6-10, has chosen to leave the Richmond program.

12/24/2020 3:13 pm  #2

Re: A-10 Transfers (Non-GW) 2020-2021

Shocker ... a transfer at another school. Thought that only happened at GW. Funny Andre Weir has "chosen" to leave but Maceo was "forced "to leave. SMH

12/24/2020 3:30 pm  #3

First semester Freshman -completely different scenario I’m quite sure.GWRising you apparently love to have the last word whether you make sense or not.

12/24/2020 3:34 pm  #4

How is it different? Andre Weir apparently didn't play as much as he would have liked. 

Last edited by GWRising (12/24/2020 3:34 pm)

12/24/2020 8:43 pm  #5

GWRising wrote:

How is it different? Andre Weir apparently didn't play as much as he would have liked. 

Very clearly different to compare a first semester freshman to a senior who had his minutes cut.  For starters, there's a body of work to compare it to.  Second, Jack played under this coach last year, Weir was new to the program.  I get the point you've repeatedly tried to jam home in the other thread, but this isn't quite strengthening your point.  

12/25/2020 6:29 am  #6

I rest my case.

12/26/2020 3:47 pm  #7

Which case? That they both left over playing time concerns? Why is it so relevant when that occurred? Things do change.

Last edited by GWRising (12/26/2020 3:48 pm)

12/26/2020 4:30 pm  #8

This is thick with irony,  when the connection is made.

12/26/2020 5:23 pm  #9

The case being that you have to have the last word.You are very knowledgeable and clearly have a lot to offer but your need to be “right “all the time” diminishes your contributions.The scenarios are quite different-yes?Maybe I’m being to nuanced here.

12/26/2020 6:30 pm  #10

I don't have to be right but I am asking you to tell me what is substantially different other than class year. The point I am trying to drive home is that distilled to their essence, almost every transfer is based on an assessment at a particular moment in time of playing time and opportunity at current school versus projected playing time and opportunity elsewhere. If I am missing something else like Maceo and/or Andre decided to stop playing basketball or there is some family reason, please let me know.

Last edited by GWRising (12/26/2020 6:30 pm)

12/26/2020 8:44 pm  #11

Distilled to their essence you are right.

1/02/2021 12:02 pm  #12

Andre Weir commits to Florida Gulf Coast

1/04/2021 12:07 pm  #13

GWRising wrote:

I don't have to be right but I am asking you to tell me what is substantially different other than class year. The point I am trying to drive home is that distilled to their essence, almost every transfer is based on an assessment at a particular moment in time of playing time and opportunity at current school versus projected playing time and opportunity elsewhere. If I am missing something else like Maceo and/or Andre decided to stop playing basketball or there is some family reason, please let me know.

Look GWRising, I don't hop in here a lot, especially to bickering matches, but the campaign you're on to absolve JC of any blame in why Maceo transferred is intellectually insulting. For one, it fits a pattern of JC's first year and half here in which he has clearly prioritized figuring out how to build for years 3 and 4 of his tenure as opposed to winning right away. Just last year, Mazzula and Jack were removed as starters after just one game in favor of a highly turnover prone JNJ and Shawn Walker. Armel, who was by far our best guard last year, wasn't even given a look until game five, likely because he could only be of so much utility to JC's long term tenure.

Jack, to his credit, stuck it out last year and ended up earning back his starting position and turned into a guy that JC depended on to play just about every minute of every game. A player who sticks out a coaching change, does everything you ask of him and then sees his playing tine plummet in his senior year is not being "coached", he's being disrespected. James Bishop does not go through the same "using the bench as a coaching tool" because JC has determined Bishop is where he is hinging his future success. He's allowed to do that, but don't act as though Maceo is jumping ship on his team. That's simply gaslighting and it's rather annoying. Maceo deserved to finish his career here, he deserved to be a starter while doing it and he certainly deserved to be playing more than 21 minutes a night while doing it. 

1/04/2021 1:58 pm  #14

Stop with the bs Class of '13. It's hard to insult one intellectually who just makes stuff up and adds 2+2 and gets 5. But fee free to carry-on.

No one deserves to be anything based on anything other than their play. Simple fact is JC was right in his usage of Maceo and the next part of the season will prove that so. The team always comes before any individual and coaches adjust based on their personnel, match ups and how they are playing at the time. There are no guarantees.

Maceo jumped ship on his teammates period the end. He could have stuck out another 3 months of 21 mpg or maybe even more (the horror!) and graduated with full GW basketball honors for a job well done in sticking it out through coaching changes. You can spin it any other way you'd like if it makes you feel better. GW is moving on. Yesterday's news.

Last edited by GWRising (1/04/2021 3:42 pm)

1/04/2021 4:15 pm  #15

Class of 13 wrote:

GWRising wrote:

Look GWRising, I don't hop in here a lot, especially to bickering matches, but the campaign you're on to absolve JC of any blame in why Maceo transferred is intellectually insulting. For one, it fits a pattern of JC's first year and half here in which he has clearly prioritized figuring out how to build for years 3 and 4 of his tenure as opposed to winning right away. Just last year, Mazzula and Jack were removed as starters after just one game in favor of a highly turnover prone JNJ and Shawn Walker. Armel, who was by far our best guard last year, wasn't even given a look until game five, likely because he could only be of so much utility to JC's long term tenure.

Jack, to his credit, stuck it out last year and ended up earning back his starting position and turned into a guy that JC depended on to play just about every minute of every game. A player who sticks out a coaching change, does everything you ask of him and then sees his playing tine plummet in his senior year is not being "coached", he's being disrespected. James Bishop does not go through the same "using the bench as a coaching tool" because JC has determined Bishop is where he is hinging his future success. He's allowed to do that, but don't act as though Maceo is jumping ship on his team. That's simply gaslighting and it's rather annoying. Maceo deserved to finish his career here, he deserved to be a starter while doing it and he certainly deserved to be playing more than 21 minutes a night while doing it. 

This is spot on about early season last year, Mazz, Shawn Walker,etc.
Had abandoned this, despite strong feelings,because there is not a lot of constituency for decency, honor and
doing the right thing when it comes to our student athletes.
  GWRising, your information is appreciated (though other people have information,too), but find it perplexing that you defend and have basically every GW coach's decision. Do they do nothing wrong? This already tame board would be even more boring. Should we talk about how GW is great, when we are so down in the cellar that we are giddy over splitting two home games with a rusty Duquesne. Not Duke, Duquesne.
   And there is discussion about calling out players in an extreme personal attacks, which I agree with, except deserved criticism for selfishness, lack of teamwork, unsportsmanlike and not playing hard. Yet you continue to attack Maceo. by all appearances and limited personal interaction with him, a stand up guy. What I noticed about Maceo, even in his last game, was that he was cheering his teammates on, despite being relegated to the bench. Lay off Maceo, a coach's son, who played the hand he was dealt with dignity and decency.
   If we pull up comments from earlier in the season, a lot of posters were perplexed about Maceo's lack of playing
time. It didn't make sense this season as we are losing, as numerous posters pointed out. In fact, JC's OOC doesn't make sense at all, two years in a row, but that's another thread. The OOC record matters in this league.
  JC ran Maceo off the team by letting him know he wouldn't be playing much when he deserved to play. Maceo was spark in several of our comeback attempts and we might have been able to win if he played more. He also effectively ran off JNJ, though he may not have anticipated the immediate result. 
A team losing 3 good players midseason in two years is a sign of mismanagement or lack of respect for players. If it happened under another coach, there'd be howling. The most egregious examples, Mazz and Maceo were very decent people who served the GW community, as well as players.
  Toro, a GW athletic leader and great rebounder, was similarly disrespected, big time. You can argue about Langarica's talent, but he won a game for literally with a putback and then disappeared the next game. There is no reward for performance for some players not in JC's favor. Some of these guys and other departed players had gone through a lot of turmoil at GW, but stayed.
JC turned on his own with JNJ, who has enormous athleticism. Without even looking back, believe both Maceo and JNJ averaged 10 points a game, hardly deep bench material.
  As Class of13 pointed out, there is no "tough love" for other players, including who the coach acknowledged ignored his end of the game play calling two games in a row. No consequences whatsoever.
  We'll see if we retain Battle, who had to force his points until Duquesne2 and even then, didn't get enough passes when he was hot. JC sticks with his favorites when they are good or bad.  It's hard not to see how current players don't get the message that unless you're a No. 1 favorite, you are expendable. And it will be used against us in recruiting long term, even if we have a few successes now.
   Don't think this treatment of good people is acceptable. But if you want to put it in more selfish terms for us, this treatment of good players is not acceptable. This isn't the pros, where you cut players midseason. JC has certainly cut players at the end of the year, like 38 minute starter Shawn Walker. Unsettling, but more by the accepted standards of college basketball than midseason.
   Don't think JC's style of dealing with players midseason is acceptable or even good strategy in the long term no m, if we were winning. But we are 3-7, with numerous bad losses to teams below our level.
   But GW13 pointed out the ultimate question about JC's ability to judge players. Armel was deep sixed until we really needed to try anything. Then he became everyone's savior. Armel was revered here and by JC. When he was injured, we went into a tailspin. Armel played nearly every minute he could.
   Yet, what can an insider tell us about JC's plans for Armel remaining on the team before he turned absolutely indispensable? 
And what does it say about JC's judgment about talent?

1/04/2021 4:43 pm  #16

jf, I take it you are new to college basketball and to GW (that's sarcasm). Second, you have no information that isn't publicly available. I know who you are so let's not pretend otherwise. Joining a zoom call did not give you all the information lol.

Don't recall hearing much about the departures of Darian Bryant, Nick Griffin, Matt Cimino, Collin Goss, Dan Guest, Anthony Swan, Paris Maragkos, Skyler White, Paul Jorgensen, Kethan Savage, David Pellom, Lasan Kromah, Miguel Cartagena and others over the years. The fact is this happens here and elsewhere. Scholarships are valuable and people like you are the first people yelling for the coach's head when lack of talent causes losses. You'd have to be new to GW and college basketball not to notice that transfers occur here and elsewhere. so maybe that's why you make the comments you do. Lonergan knew that those players weren't good enough to win with and he was honest with them. Same as JC. GW has never pulled anyone's scholarship purely over lack of talent. In each case, the player decided that the options were better elsewhere.

JC has never "forced" anyone to leave despite what you say. JC has and will continue to be honest with players as to where he sees their role on the team. And his views will likely change as players develop or take steps backwards. These days nobody comes to GW or any school to be the 12th or 13th on the team. But somebody has to be. Right? That's why 40% transfer. 

As for Maceo, there is no need to lay off. I never questioned his heart, his skills or anything else other than to say he quit on his teammates midseason. That is a fact. You and anyone else can't change that no mater how hard you continue to try. 

The simple fact is that the talent accumulated under Mojo won 9 games. That's why JC is here. But you expect him to ride with and honor that talent at all costs and still win at a high level. Simply amazing..

1/05/2021 6:25 pm  #17

Verbal Commits[/url] [url=https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits]@VerbalCommits·3h 
Duquesne G Lamar Norman, Jr. (JR) has entered the transfer portal. http://verbalcommits.com/players/lamar-norman-jr

Tom Seipp[/url] [url=https://twitter.com/Tom_Seipp]@Tom_Seipp·Dec 30, 2020 
BREAKING: Justin Winston has announced his intention to leave the St. Bonaventure men’s basketball team. He’s transferring, effective immediately. In his freshman season in 2019-20, Winston averaged 8.7 PPG in 31 games.

[color=inherit]RotoWire[/color][/url] [url=https://twitter.com/RotoWireCBB][color=inherit]CBB[/color][/url] [url=https://twitter.com/RotoWireCBB]@RotoWireCBB·Dec 18, 2020 
David Czerapowicz (Davidson): In transfer portal - https://rotowire.com/cbasketball/player.php?id=12837

Verbal Commits[/url] [url=https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits]@VerbalCommits·Dec 14, 2020 
La Salle F/C Brandon Stone (SO) has entered the transfer portal. http://verbalcommits.com/players/brandon-stone

1/05/2021 6:26 pm  #18

And we've now crossed into the "I no longer care about the topic" threshold.  With that, I'm going to delete every post that is irrelevant.  

I know the mention of multiusers was a joke, but it has evolved into the point that this is no longer about transfers.  

B.

1/05/2021 6:50 pm  #19

GW0509 wrote:

Verbal Commits[/url] [url=https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits]@VerbalCommits·3h 
Duquesne G Lamar Norman, Jr. (JR) has entered the transfer portal. http://verbalcommits.com/players/lamar-norman-jr

Tom Seipp[/url] [url=https://twitter.com/Tom_Seipp]@Tom_Seipp·Dec 30, 2020 
BREAKING: Justin Winston has announced his intention to leave the St. Bonaventure men’s basketball team. He’s transferring, effective immediately. In his freshman season in 2019-20, Winston averaged 8.7 PPG in 31 games.

[color=inherit]RotoWire[/color][/url] [url=https://twitter.com/RotoWireCBB][color=inherit]CBB[/color][/url] [url=https://twitter.com/RotoWireCBB]@RotoWireCBB·Dec 18, 2020 
David Czerapowicz (Davidson): In transfer portal - https://rotowire.com/cbasketball/player.php?id=12837

Verbal Commits[/url] [url=https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits]@VerbalCommits·Dec 14, 2020 
La Salle F/C Brandon Stone (SO) has entered the transfer portal. http://verbalcommits.com/players/brandon-stone

Hey jf maybe you should investigate why Norman left Duquesne. Must be that Dambrot forced him off. SMH.

1/05/2021 7:27 pm  #20

Seems odd to post this right after posts are being removed. Didn't see them, though perhaps some can enlighten. In my case, I don't think text slang ameliorates several personal attacks and a modest, but needless jab.
Wasn't even going to say anything for awhile, since LSF and GWMayhem had already made good points in the other thread, to let things simmer down. Don't think any of us can match--or care to--a seeming need to get the last word in all the time.
  Well how about since this a GW basketball board with very intense fans who support the team, ;(including
those like LSF who puts his body where his mouth is--and travels to away games, including some lost causes), we can all post what we think basketballwise within reason.
   Without saying to a poster I know who you are, you are deliberately misleading(why would anyone want to do that? To win a social media argument) or other accusations). Doing that when someone literally says they "appreciate" what you do is a very odd response. Thank you works better. And no, I didn't say I had inside information (or not), just "others" did.
JC is a grown man who makes a huge salary at a time when others who make a pittance at GW are being laid off. We can criticize some of his inexplicable moves, which announcers have done, as well. Every other fan base in the world does it. Especially in this case.
     Are there many teams that have three players leave mid-season? Many GW teams?  
      I know there are certainly examples out there of those, especially one powerful example. of using comments just in attack mode. Respect, and if not respect, some spirit of understanding we have different opinions, goes a long way. Terms like Fake News, do not really contribute to the conversation.
   What would be great would be not to respond everything all the time in general, but in any case, with a little more understanding that there are those who sincerely think differently. We can disagree on why and how, but we're all in the same so far hapless boat for five years now. Frankly, we have a huge body evidence in our record and play this year to cite and talk about in this thread and others.
Other fan bases would be far more vocal and aggrieved. In any case, we have the right to comment
and have if not a mature discussion, a marginally civil response.

Board footera