GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/14/2021 3:44 pm  #41

Re: 2021 Transfer List

Seem to recall more than one set of announcers calling it a "Bishop-centric" offense.
That just adds to the mystique, making it more appealing to play for GW.
 Players, even those for whom the offense is not named, love being on a team that has a clear identity.

3/14/2021 4:27 pm  #42

GW73 wrote:

GWRising wrote:

Who knew we had so many great mind readers here? Everyone is frustrated with Bishop except when you speak to many they are not. Strange.

Sorry. No way there was no conflict within the team this season and it had nothing to do with players leaving.

Well since you know of this conflict, please do tell with some specifics. Or is this just trying to foist the time worn poor debating point of "well you can't prove there wasn't any?"

Last edited by GWRising (3/14/2021 4:33 pm)

3/14/2021 4:32 pm  #43

jf wrote:

Seem to recall more than one set of announcers calling it a "Bishop-centric" offense.
That just adds to the mystique, making it more appealing to play for GW.
 Players, even those for whom the offense is not named, love being on a team that has a clear identity.

Boy is jf about to be in for a shock in the coming weeks. It will be amazing how no one wants to play with Bishop but then 3 or 4 suddenly do in addition to his remaining teammates. Oh well. What did Bishop do to you jf? lol.

3/15/2021 10:30 am  #44

Jeff Borzello  @jeffborzello 24s 
Louisville sophomore Aidan Igiehon is transferring, sources told ESPN. Former ESPN 100 big man has battled injuries most of the past two seasons.

We were recruiting Aidan before he blew up and started getting high BCS offers.

3/15/2021 10:39 am  #45

Xavier’s KyKy Tandy entering the portal.  Great scorer, but often benched because he didn’t/couldn’t play much defense.

3/15/2021 12:38 pm  #46

Timberlake is NOT coming to GW. Timberlake would not even consider GW. Would you right now if you were any good? Wouldn't be surprised to see him go to Michigan and re-unite with his former teammate and play for Juwon.

3/15/2021 1:32 pm  #47

Joel Joseph wrote:

Timberlake is NOT coming to GW. Timberlake would not even consider GW. Would you right now if you were any good? Wouldn't be surprised to see him go to Michigan and re-unite with his former teammate and play for Juwon.

Well, sure, but let us fans have our dreams.

Transfer list now up to 430 names.  Last year on the day after Selection Sunday it was 280. 👀

3/15/2021 2:39 pm  #48

Free Quebec wrote:

Joel Joseph wrote:

Well, sure, but let us fans have our dreams.

Transfer list now up to 430 names. Last year on the day after Selection Sunday it was 280. 👀

Are you sure all 430 kids aren't from GW? You would think that reading some of the posts in other threads here. Probably all 430 are mad at Bishop too!

3/15/2021 4:44 pm  #49

Easy Rising.
Don't worry, JC has another 3 years to prove us wrong. Unlike Indiana, we can't afford to buy him out after spending $5 million on previous bad decisions.
We will get a few of those transfers. The goal should be to get some of the top 50 in talent, not the bottom 50!

3/15/2021 8:40 pm  #50

Elijah Wood (no not Frodo) is transferring from Nebraska. Local kid from Potomac who was also originally committed to URI. From what I can tell, he looks like he has a similar frame/skill set as Terry Nolan Jr.

https://verbalcommits.com/players/elijah-wood

3/15/2021 9:18 pm  #51

Elijah Wood barely got off the bench at Nebraska this past season, but most BCS transfers who end up at GW will have a similar experience so I don't think its a problem. He could have 4 years of eligibility for GW. I'd say GW has a more realistic shot at landing E.Wood as opposed to guys like Earl Timberlake and Xavier Johnson(I'm interested to see the list of schools who have contacted Timberlake) who will have more high-profile BCS offers. I recall his name was brought up on this board or the old board after he de-committed from Rhode Island or Tulane. I believe he committed to Tulane at very early stage in the recruiting process during his junior year. 

3/15/2021 10:21 pm  #52

Elijah Wood? Seriously? Putting him and Terry Nolan Jr. in the same paragraph is an insult to Terry. I promise you there is zero chance he plays at GW. Next.

Last edited by GWRising (3/15/2021 10:22 pm)

3/16/2021 10:01 am  #53

Ok, Elijah Wood didn't get a good response.  May I interest you in a DJ Harvey?  Former DeMatha grad who played for Brey before transferring to Vandy last season.  Maybe there is some sway with former ND great Eric Atkins to get DJ to return home?

Vanderbilt F D.J. Harvey (RS JR) has entered the transfer portal. Grad transfer. verbalcommits.com/players/d-j-ha…

3/16/2021 10:11 am  #54

GW0509 wrote:

Ok, Elijah Wood didn't get a good response.  May I interest you in a DJ Harvey?  Former DeMatha grad who played for Brey before transferring to Vandy last season.  Maybe there is some sway with former ND great Eric Atkins to get DJ to return home?

Vanderbilt F D.J. Harvey (RS JR) has entered the transfer portal. Grad transfer. verbalcommits.com/players/d-j-ha…

Was starting every game at ND and scoring 11 a game as a soph so transfer to Vandy was a bit of a headscratcher.  Maybe attracted by Stackhouse over Brey?  Minutes and points dropped last season.  Bio says he's a Bowie native.

Last edited by BM (3/16/2021 10:12 am)

3/16/2021 10:18 am  #55

DJ Harvey is transferring out of Vanderbilt. Senior from Bowie, MD. 6'6 235 pounds.

Averaged 6.3ppg and 2.8 rebounds/game this past season. Averaged nearly 11ppg in 2018-2019 while at Notre Dame. Shot nearly 37% from 3 this year.

3/16/2021 10:22 am  #56

Looks like he's shown an ability to shoot the 3, at least percentagewise in recent games.
And we have that double Notre Dame connection, which could be helpful depending on the situation there.
Don't know if Bowie native helps or hurts, given our recent history.
Good find, gents.

3/16/2021 10:44 am  #57

Oy. Posted a long thing about DJ Harvey in the other thread before I saw this one.

Also to put info in the correct place, 5 players are leaving Penn St, including 4 starters and their back up big man.  They are: Isaiah Brockington, John Harrar, Myreon Jones, Jamari Wheeler, and Trent Buttrick.

3/16/2021 10:46 am  #58

Like Harvey a lot. I agree that I would have some trust issues with Wood. Everyone makes decisions for various reasons, but committing and then decommitting from both URI and Tulane strike me as red flags (and then leaving Nebraska after a year). He's local, but we need to be looking for best fit on the team.

Wheeler originally committed to Duquesne I think, so the A10/MWC/MVC level is probably where he will end up.

One other name:
George Papas SG (Monmouth; Plainfield, NJ) **1 year to play**
Stats: 20 GP, 27.9 mpg; 12.4 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 1.8 apg, 1.1 spg; 44% FG, 39% 3-pt, 79% FT
Heard from: Boston College, Butler, Eastern Kentucky, Florida Gulf Coast, James Madison, Kent State, NJIT, South Alabama, South Dakota State, Southern Illinois, Tulsa, UIC, Xavier

Seems like he will be highly coveted given his shooting, and he is a solid defender as well.

3/16/2021 10:55 am  #59

dmvpiranha wrote:

Like Harvey a lot. I agree that I would have some trust issues with Wood. Everyone makes decisions for various reasons, but committing and then decommitting from both URI and Tulane strike me as red flags (and then leaving Nebraska after a year). He's local, but we need to be looking for best fit on the team.

Wheeler originally committed to Duquesne I think, so the A10/MWC/MVC level is probably where he will end up.

One other name:
Stats: 20 GP, 27.9 mpg; 12.4 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 1.8 apg, 1.1 spg; 44% FG, 39% 3-pt, 79% FT
Heard from: Boston College, Butler, Eastern Kentucky, Florida Gulf Coast, James Madison, Kent State, NJIT, South Alabama, South Dakota State, Southern Illinois, Tulsa, UIC, Xavier

Seems like he will be highly coveted given his shooting, and he is a solid defender as well.

Wheeler is a bit of a puzzle to me. He didn’t stand out too much watching him at Penn St, but  then you look at his stats and it’s all solid (albeit with low usage).  He’s definitely good at everything, but it as always Brockington, Harrar, and Jones dominating attention on that team.

I guess he could he a guy who just needs the right role on the right team to excel.

3/16/2021 11:57 am  #60

dmvpiranha wrote:

One other name:

My issue with Wood doesn't even get to the level of he attended 4 high schools, committed to multiple colleges, and now has transferred again after his freshman year. That would be a red flag in and of itself. The fact is he can't play at least not at the D1 level. He is a D2/D3 guy. He was an above average MOCO public school player where there were easily 10-12 guys better than him every year, none of whom went D1. His handler is a clown who has hyped up many guys in the DMV, all of whom have transferred HS and colleges, committed then de-committed, or made really bad school choices. For example, he allegedly was behind the Jalen Gibbs mid-season transfer from the Mount this year where Jalen was a senior and about to graduate, was starting and was the team's leading scorer. Apparently, he thought it would be in the young man's best interests to get in the portal early??????  How foolish was that decision when the Mount went on to the NCAA tournament without him and Jalen currently has not transferred anywhere? How this guy has managed to fool so many college coaches and players time and time again is really amazing. I can promise you he won't fool JC. It's sad how Elijah got such bad advice throughout his playing career. 

Board footera