GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/30/2020 6:15 pm  #1

Good News on the Recruiting Front Soon!

A win over Fordham and some likely good news soon regarding a 2021. Not a terrible day!

12/30/2020 7:08 pm  #2

Re: Good News on the Recruiting Front Soon!

Going to take a wild guess. Is his last name the same as a former president?

12/30/2020 7:38 pm  #3

You have me there DMV.. I don't get your guess..  But either way I'm happy to get good news

12/30/2020 8:32 pm  #4

Great guess by dmvpiranha. Daniel Nixon it is!

12/30/2020 8:55 pm  #5

12/30/2020 9:04 pm  #6

Beating Georgetown for a recruit and Dayton looking up at us in the A-10? Things are good at this moment. What a difference a day makes!

12/30/2020 9:09 pm  #7

Great landing! looks very legit

Our long national nightmare is over!!

12/30/2020 9:31 pm  #8

It is amazing how quickly JC was able to recognize that he got an opening for next year and recruit somebody over georgetown.  Am I to really believe that JNJ was not effectively told “you can play out this year, but we are moving on next year.”  And then JNJ decided to leave.

I make no moral judgment on this, and am excited about the recruit.  But it is awfully coincidental that it happened so quickly

12/30/2020 10:10 pm  #9

I feel this is great news. Daniel Nixon, welcome to GW.  I loved reading Daniel's comments as to why he chose GW.  To me, this is further confirmation that JC is a great person and a great coach!  Kudos to Daniel, Jamion and GW!!!

12/30/2020 10:31 pm  #10

danjsport wrote:

It is amazing how quickly JC was able to recognize that he got an opening for next year and recruit somebody over georgetown. Am I to really believe that JNJ was not effectively told “you can play out this year, but we are moving on next year.” And then JNJ decided to leave.

I make no moral judgment on this, and am excited about the recruit. But it is awfully coincidental that it happened so quickly

Danjsport, that's some next level conspiracy stuff. Have you ever considered a career in screenwriting?

Absolutely not what happened. According to my sources, GW had been recruiting Daniel Nixon all along but he was not committing early (November) and GW didn't have a spot for him then. It was only when JNJ left that a spot opened up and JC acted quickly to secure a commitment. No cause and effect other than JNJ decided to leave and that opened a spot. If that was JC's intention he would have waited to the end of the year to tell JNJ after he had signed Nixon. By the way they don't play the same position anyway.

12/30/2020 10:56 pm  #11

Wouldn't be surprised in general. Don't know about this one.
Though the deep sixing sends a message that may be intended.
However,interesting coincidence that we got Hunter Dean right after Mazz told to take a hike midseason.

12/31/2020 6:47 am  #12

Gwrising, stop with the people bashing.

There was very clearly a cause and effect.  Nixon could not have signed without JNJ leaving.  Maybe Nixon would have waited until the end of the year and the announcement of a player leaving (I’d expect others to leave, given the state of college basketball).  It may be unrelated. 

The fact that they play different positions is not relevant.  To the contrary, JNj was losing minutes at guard.  Amir is baxk next year (maybe?), Lindo is added next year, ball and brelsford are here and brayon is coming in.  So if JNJ was already losing minutes, it was not likely to improve.  And, of course, the guard heavy team could use another forward.  Again, maybe it was serendipity that right after Nelson left, Nixon was ready to sign and made his decision.  That’s great if that’s what your sources say.  You’re very clearly more connected to the program than I am.  But the thought that these two events are not connected in any way ignores the plain reality that one could not have happened without the other.

That said, I’m excited that JC got a guy he wants and who looks good.  Hopefully yesterday’s win is the start of a good trend forward

12/31/2020 9:51 am  #13

Like many things, the answer likely lies somewhere in the middle.

I don't believe that JC sat down with JNJ and told him that we are moving on from you after this season.
I do believe that JC played JNJ a grand total of 10 minutes in his final game as a Colonial.

Yes sometimes in life, you can say something without actually speaking.

It stands to reason that if JNJ had stuck around, his minutes would have gone down (despite Maceo's departure) unless his shooting and ability to protect the ball were to somehow improve.  JC wanted to see what he had in Ball and Brelsford, and neither so far has shrunk under the hot lights.

So to JC's way of thinking, he was going to reduce JNJ's playing time unless JNJ earned them back, Nixon would have to wait until season's end had JNJ played out the season and then announced his intent to transfer, or Nixon could be approached immediately if JNJ transferred out immediately which is what happened.

Again, when Fred Hoiberg tells Amir Harris that he no longer has a scholarship, that is the definition of being run off of a team.  JNJ's situation was not that.  Referring to it as being "gently pushed" is more like it.

Two more points:  One, I loved JNJ's moxie, hustle, defensive instincts, and rebounding abilities.  But, he really wasn't ever a great fit to run JC's offense.  His outside shot needed to be more reliable and his decision making with the ball needed to be upgraded.  This is what JC feels he now has in Bishop (of course, he's giving up an awful lot on the other end of the court, but I really do believe that JC's hope is to outshoot and outscore opponents rather than outdefend them).  Maybe JNJ's skills would have evolved over time but this would never have been realized with James running the point practically every possession that he is in the game.

Second, some have wondered about Jamison's future fate given his friendship with JNJ.  I think it's important to understand that even these 18-23 year olds understand that the sport they love is a business.  Jamison and JNJ had never met until they became teammates, just as Maceo and Justin M. had never met until they became teammates.  While one friend may not have liked the circumstances that led to the other friend transferring out, I think it's unrealistic that this would ever be the reason why the remaining friend would also transfer out.  Maceo of course eventually did but it had everything to do with his own situation and nothing to do with Justin leaving over a year sooner.  As far as Jamison is concerned, I'll predict that he will be a 4 year Colonial but if this is wrong, it will have everything to do with his own situation and nothing to do with JNJ's recent decision. 

12/31/2020 10:40 am  #14

danjsport wrote:

Gwrising, stop with the people bashing.

There was very clearly a cause and effect. Nixon could not have signed without JNJ leaving. Maybe Nixon would have waited until the end of the year and the announcement of a player leaving (I’d expect others to leave, given the state of college basketball). It may be unrelated.

The fact that they play different positions is not relevant. To the contrary, JNj was losing minutes at guard. Amir is baxk next year (maybe?), Lindo is added next year, ball and brelsford are here and brayon is coming in. So if JNJ was already losing minutes, it was not likely to improve. And, of course, the guard heavy team could use another forward. Again, maybe it was serendipity that right after Nelson left, Nixon was ready to sign and made his decision. That’s great if that’s what your sources say. You’re very clearly more connected to the program than I am. But the thought that these two events are not connected in any way ignores the plain reality that one could not have happened without the other.

That said, I’m excited that JC got a guy he wants and who looks good. Hopefully yesterday’s win is the start of a good trend forward

So let me get this straight. You ascribe some speculative sinister motive to JC without a shred of evidence other than timing and I'm the one that is people bashing. Interesting.

12/31/2020 10:52 am  #15

To answer all the speculation here ... There is no way JC wanted JNJ to leave. Not before and not now.. Clearly he was unhappy with JNJ's recent play but ascribed it to the growing process and it was obvious that he was using the bench as a motivator (tough love if you will) to get JNJ to understand what he needed to do better. JNJ was going to have a role on this team and a big one but needed to understand what was expected. He was a young sophomore. Completely different situation from Maceo where Maceo had generally peaked as a college player and everyone knew what his strengths and weaknesses are..

Have we really reached the point where a coach using the bench (perhaps even temporarily) to change performance is now the equivalent of chasing a kid off the team?

That all said, when JNJ decided to leave against the wishes of JC, JC was not going to sit around and feel sorry for himself. And if he did, is that the type of coach you want? So he dialed up Daniel Nixon to see if he was still interested. Sometimes things move very fast in recruiting and this was one of those cases.

That's the story. There is nothing more or less to it. I realize that's not the stuff upon which books or articles are written but facts are facts.

Last edited by GWRising (12/31/2020 10:53 am)

12/31/2020 11:25 am  #16

It's nice GWRising that you can speak with such authority but unless you are JC himself, I'm not sure that your "facts are facts" rhetoric are definitive.  For example, you don't really know that JC wanted JNJ to stay for the long term.  He would never say that he didn't publicly; I suspect that only he and his assistants would ever know.  By the way, nothing about this is personal.  This is all from a basketball perspective.  

Maybe, just maybe:

1) JC had seen enough to know that JNJ would never be able to comfortably run his offense from the point.
2)  JC wanted more size at the 2 guard.
3) JC wanted better outside shooting from the 2 guard position.
4) James Bishop's arrival meant that some of the skills which JNJ brought to the table were being applied by James, making JNJ expendable.
5) Perhaps JNJ thought of himself s a 30+ minute player per game, as he was last year, and that as JC upgraded the talent on this team, he knew that he would not be able to provide this to JNJ, as has already been the case.

Forget about the phrase "running him off the team" which is nonsense.  What isn't nonsense is that JC did in fact recruit over JNJ by bringing James in.  That's OK if he believes the move will make the team better; his won-loss record absolutely matters.  But, it's not the same thing as your saying that JC did not want JNJ to leave.  Perhaps he did, for the betterment of his team as well as to allow JNJ to find a more suitable opportunity for himself.  Frankly, if this is the case, I don't think that you would ever hear JC say that he really didn't have a role for JNJ, or anything to this effect, because I think JC would diplomatically keep this to himself and/or a very limited circle.

Last edited by Gwmayhem (12/31/2020 11:27 am)

12/31/2020 12:00 pm  #17

I don't get this discussion. Gaspare reclassified over a month ago. There was a spot for Lincoln regardless of JNJ transferring or not.

12/31/2020 12:05 pm  #18

Gwmayhem - Have I ever posted a thing here that wasn't correct about what was going to happen? Recall that I posted about JNJ leaving before it was announced. You will just have to trust me at some level when I tell you what happened. That's all I can say.

Separately, JC did not recruit Bishop to play over JNJ. He in fact recruited him to play with JNJ as both could be combo guards in his offense, giving GW versatility and making it difficult for teams to guard two versatile guards who each could play 30+ minutes. It admittedly did not work out as planned but we were just seven games into the process. Again it should be repeated that it was not JC who pulled the plug. 

12/31/2020 12:12 pm  #19

Glad to hear JC didn't "pull the plug."  Glad he was able to recruit somebody quickly to take the roster spot.  Good luck to JNJ.  Here's hoping the team plays well and Nixon can come on board to a team on the upswing.  

12/31/2020 12:12 pm  #20

Yinka dont Stinka wrote:

I don't get this discussion. Gaspare reclassified over a month ago. There was a spot for Lincoln regardless of JNJ transferring or not.

Yes and no. Not sure there has been a formal decision on Gapare yet as to when he will arrive. Believe it will be 2022 but don't think that's definite yet. And theoretically he could classify back if things change. If you are JC you can't foreclose that happening.

Board footera