GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/02/2021 6:30 pm  #161

Re: GW vs Duquesne Game Thread

Sadly on offense we went back to not passing the ball around. At the very least would have liked to see some guys moving around instead of standing in one place. Beyond James and Jamison, a lack of a reliable third option is hurting us at times, allowing defenses to key in on them. Despite all of that, I think we did enough offensively and would have hit 70 points had we made some free throws.

Defense was really bad today though. Credit Duquesne for being patient and passing the ball around until they found the open man. The team was consistently burned in the corners of the zone again and are still terrible with the fundamentals. Our rotating was awful. We were clearly at a depth disadvantage, which will benefit Duquesne tomorrow as well but our energy is just simply not there in general. Perhaps the most maddening thing is the lack of hustle plays, which is one of the things we can control. Lincoln did well trying to save a ball from going out of bounds at one point, but no one seems willing to dive on the floor for any loose balls or make an effort to tie the opposition up. How many jump balls have we generated on defense this season? Also need to be better about boxing out and preventing second chance opportunities. If we don't play with energy defensively, we will simply not give ourselves even a chance at winning.

I am probably a bigger Chase fan than most on the board, but several times this season he just hasn't gone for the loose balls when it's near him. He was one of the best finishers in the conference last season but has really struggled down low offensively as well. We need to get him going.

Liked Hunter's energy early on and would like to see us do some more things with him offensively, perhaps a pick and pop to extend defenses. Had a nice game overall despite the missed FTs.

Nice to see Matt step up down low when Sloan's shots were not falling today.

Lincoln and Tyler have done well stepping up so far with the departures we've had. Unfortunately with our lack of depth though we will need to unfairly expect them to become key options on this team.

We were much better with turnovers today as we slowed things down a lot but only generated one steal on defense which is less than ideal.

1/02/2021 6:34 pm  #162

Exactly. Though actually today was only relatively moderate on the selfishness (no chance to
ruin the game at the last minute because it wasn't that close), it's just terrible basketball to watch.
    It's a star system that is going to be even worse when the stars aren't functioning as much as 
usual. Jamison, who was finally hot from 3 late in the game, just doesn't get a pass when he's open,
so he has to create for himself.
 It seems like every other team passes better and tries harder. It's not only losing, but losing with no team play, identity and coherence, or often any interest in getting rebounds, hustle or loose ball. 
Painful to watch. Or identify as a GW fan.

1/02/2021 7:41 pm  #163

There is a bright spot. We didn't have to pay for tickets to see this. 

1/02/2021 11:51 pm  #164

Block or Charge wrote:

The free throw shooting was obviously terrible, but my biggest takeaway was that our three-point shooting isn't going to get significantly better until we have more movement on offense. It didn't appear that we missed too many open looks from deep, and most of our three-point shots were contested well.  It's easier to clog driving lanes to the basket and close out on shooters when they're not moving from the spots where they initially set up on offense. With very little cutting to the basket, no baseline screens, etc we're making it too easy to defend us.

This.

1/03/2021 12:07 am  #165

In addition to agreeing with Block or Charge about how the lack of movement and creativity in our offense is making us easy to guard, I also want to say that I didn’t think the D was, exactly, horrible today.

We got beat by two guys who were almost certainly not even in the scouting report.  Kelly and Okani scored a total of 2 points in 21 points over their first two games.  Both players got hot and combined for 27 in 40 minutes, with each getting a career high. Kelly did play against us last year and had 2 points in 17 minutes - I doubt he was in the scouting report for this game and Okani had literally done nothing to give the team reason to key on him. 

The guys we did prep for we did a decent job against. We held Dunn-Martin to 2-8 from three.  Michael Hughes only had 12 points and 5 boards on 3-9 fg. Lamar Norman and Maceo Austin combined for just 3 points, and even weathers’ 14 wasn’t horrible.

And Moyer did a nice job on Carry, holding him to 3 points and 2 assists (one of the three or four worst games of his career).

Where we did poorly on defense, aside from stopping//adjusting to the two hot hands, was forcing turnovers and generating steals.  Duq only turned it over 8 times and we only had 1 steal.  With our bad half court offense, we need to do a better job forcing TOs - plus, it allowed the game to be played at a slow tempo.

1/03/2021 7:48 am  #166

In the most simplistic terms, we lost because our offensive numbers included 3-16 from the 3, 12-26 from the line and 4 assists for the game.   Other than Battle and Bishop, we have no offensive options.  (Moyer is  good opportunistic scorer but not someone to run plays around).   Ball started, played 25 minutes, and gave us 2 points on 1-4 shooting, 1 rebound and 0 assists.  Brelsford in 17 minutes gave us and 1 rebound.  In other words, our frosh, in 42 minutes, chipped in 2 points,2 rebounds and 0 assists.  Or to put it in other terms, we were basically playing 4 on 5 on offense.   Now in all fairness to the frosh,  it is hard to score and assist if you never touch the ball.   (A Maceo Jack like player or a Jameer Nelson Jr. like player may have helped).   On  defense,we let them shoot 48.3 % for the game.   As pointed out, we would double team the ball handler, but only had 1 steal for the game.  Duquesne would quite easily pass out of the double team for a wide opened look from the 3 or for a layup.  In addition, our posts would front their man, they would throw over the defender, and there was no weak side help, resulting in a dunk.   Finally, I had to return to edit this post to mention again what others have said, namely we are being hurt in our ability to come up with the 50-50 balls, namely the balls loose on the court where only one team is diving for them, or those contested rebounds.   I am sure this is NOT the case, but sometimes it does seem like the other team just wants it more than we do.  I was so desperate for something good to happen on the court this season that I let the Fordham win get into my head.  Those dumb thoughts have now been exorcised from my brain.

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (1/03/2021 8:07 am)

1/03/2021 9:23 am  #167

I was out at a winery and getting game updates....and not drinking enough wine.  

1/03/2021 10:21 am  #168

Mike K wrote:

I was out at a winery and getting game updates....and not drinking enough wine.  

Lucky you. My day started with the Cheetahs losing in the last second to bring their season to a premature end and likely end their run as a top-flight professional team. Then I got the GW game. Then I watched Oregon fumble away a winable game against a school that had never won a major bowl game. All while under an army-enforced lockdown. While I was allowed to polish off the vodka bottles, my wife had the foresight to put away all the sharp objects lying around the house...

1/03/2021 12:30 pm  #169

I thought the defense was a little improved, particularly Moyer, along with better weakside recovery to the corners which produced only infrequent, rather than routine, wide open looks. If Seymour isn't 5-5 from 3 he shouldn't see any time at all. We also are poised to be shredded on the boards most nights in the A-10.

Board footera