GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/17/2021 6:12 pm  #81

Re: GW vs Dayton Game Thread

After a 4-5 minute stretch of great defense we've somewhat fallen apart. Crutcher with a very clutch 3 pointer as the shot clock expires.

1/17/2021 6:17 pm  #82

Look how open one of the best guards in the history of the league is.  Again, the announcer, referring to Crutcher and GWs (lack of) defense on him.

1/17/2021 6:19 pm  #83

Was starting to believe when it was down by 4.
But then realized it was us

1/17/2021 6:20 pm  #84

Nothing like committing a reach in foul with 2 seconds left on the shot clock.

1/17/2021 6:21 pm  #85

Very poor shooting night for Sloan. 3 point shooting in general has been awful today. Does anyone know if we've had a single game this season where we've had an above average 3-point game? Maybe against Fordham?

1/17/2021 6:27 pm  #86

I assume we lost again. I would like to see a Christian practice. It can't be basketball. A game of Horse maybe. Sad.

1/17/2021 6:27 pm  #87

MG14 wrote:

Very poor shooting night for Sloan. 3 point shooting in general has been awful today. Does anyone know if we've had a single game this season where we've had an above average 3-point game? Maybe against Fordham?

Seymour is 5/18 from 3 in our last 4 games. Good for 27%. Shooting at about 39% for the season which is actually good.

1/17/2021 6:28 pm  #88

What you see is what you get.

As others have pointed out, GW indeed is a young team this season and it showed today. Brelsford looked like a frosh. Lindo looked like he was playing his second game for a team. Sloan shot like the last two games had been postponed. 
As much as we here moan about the porous defense, the offense sure looked like something from an outtake reel.
And now Christian has done something not even John Keuster did-- lose a home game in Virginia.

1/17/2021 6:34 pm  #89

Don't understand why Coach doesn't pull players who are ice cold from the field.  Again, I am not talking about benching them, but just sit for a couple of minusput back in.   Or if they are staying in, stop calling their number in favor of another offensive option.   Or let me put it this way...there is no way that Seymore and Bishop, who shot a combined 7-26, should have taken nearly 60 percent of our shots for the game.  Unlike VCU, when we scored 77 points, today we really missed Battle as a desperately needed scoring option.

1/17/2021 6:48 pm  #90

Hard to beat teams like Dayton with the way they were shooting it early.  We pulled it close but just don't have enough guys at this stage to keep that momentum going.  Hope Battle can play next week but obviously his health is #1 priority on a season like this.  But I think with no fans in UD arena, we have a shot with Jamison back plus Lindo plus Bishop.

1/17/2021 6:48 pm  #91

The offense was a disaster today, but I chalk that up to Dayton’s D and no battle.  Trying to imagine all those empty Seymour minutes going to Battle and it’s a different game. 

One thing I was struck by.  In the second half, Moyer was guarding Crutcher and shut him down, and other guys couldn’t pick up the slack for them.  But when we were down 4, we started switching everything so they got Moyer off Crutcher 3 straight possessions (the first two, the D broke down as soon as Seymour switched onto Crutcher).   

Maybe we were switching all along or started switching before we were down 4 and I just didn’t notice because the D was good?  But I definitely noticed when we were switching how Dayton created mismatches late in the game, and how for many possessions when Moyer stuck with Crutcher, we got stops.

1/17/2021 6:53 pm  #92

Tale of the tape: 3 wins in the last 18 games. I knew Christian was a turnaround expert. I guess I just didn't know what direction!

1/17/2021 7:30 pm  #93

Need to come out on Wednesday ready to play. Great fight in the second half, but it's tough to dig out of a hole set early on. We were far too lackadaisical in the first half on both sides of the ball - asleep is probably a better word. The number of corner threes we gave up to a good shooting Dayton team was troubling early on, but glad we remedied that somewhat in the second half.

Dayton basically has 4 guys who they can get points from, and Chatman didn't even play so it was really 3 - Crutcher, Watson, and Amzil. The scouting report for Crutcher is to guard him tight so he doesn't let it fly from behind the arc. Yes, he made some very deep shots, but he has done that consistently over his career and sometimes you have to make exceptions to how you guard for a guy who shoots over 40% from distance. We extended our zone at times, but it wasn't particularly effective. After he made five threes against us last year, you would think we would focus in on him, but he nailed another five against us tonight. Hopefully that doesn't happen again on Wednesday. Run him off the line and get the ball out of his hands. We did do a much better job on him in the second half, but the time we lost him on the switch late in the game was costly. He's a great player, but make someone else beat us to score points. Maybe we should keep Moyer on him for more of next game - he did a really good job on him in the second half. Dayton shot the ball the way they did early because all their looks were wide open. We tend to have many missed rotations defensively resulting in a lot of open shots all over the court.

The offense just did not show up today. Dayton is decent defensively but not elite like we made them look. Too many guys were standing around today and not moving trying to get open. The shot selection was pretty much either a contested Bishop shot that fell short or an unbelievably deep Seymour shot that hit the back rim. I get that JC kept Sloan in the game because we needed offense to catch up, but on most nights honestly his lack of defense outweighs his offense. We were bailed out on a couple plays where he was fouled on a three, but we need to be better about diversifying the offense - at the very least having Sloan take a closer uncontested three point shot. There was one play in the under 12 timeout where Seymour was wide open on the right side but Bishop just dribbled the ball for the entirety of the shot clock on the left side of the floor where all the Dayton defenders had concentrated, not looking at all at the other side of the court. That play was our offense in a nutshell this game - we didn't have to make Dayton work hard defensively because we played slow to their style of play and we didn't move the ball consistently enough. Predictably, it resulted in a contested heave from James at the end of the shot clock, not to dissimilar from our set seconds before out of a timeout.

Dayton wants to play slow, we do not. Part of our success offensively in the VCU game was because VCU likes to play fast anyways so it ended up being an up and down game. We have to start dictating pace of play. I liked Chase's extra passes down low - we needed to make some extra passes to get Matt some shots down low and balance out the offense more instead of just Bishop and Seymour taking all the shots. Perhaps we can play through Chase/Hunter more on offense. Felt like Hunter didn't play much in the second half which I thought was interesting - he could have provided some energy.

Having said that, proud of the team's fight in not letting Dayton run away in the second half. Really liking Ricky's ability to alter shots defensively and provide a spark down low on offense. Hopefully we get Jamison back soon.

1/17/2021 7:58 pm  #94

moneybox wrote:

Tale of the tape: 3 wins in the last 18 games. I knew Christian was a turnaround expert. I guess I just didn't know what direction!

This is an excellent point.   The losses are always painful, but less so when we at least see a system in place and the players growing into it.  I am not sure what the identity of this team is yet.   Today's display was absolutely disheartening.   Things from today's game that do not show up in the box score are the number of ill advised passes shown and the high percentage of low percentage shots taken.  The coach may not be able to put the ball in the hoop for the players, but he can coach up a plan to get them higher percentage shots.   And he has to be able to have the team ready to play from the jump ball and make necessary in game adjustments, two things which I am just not seeing from this team.

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (1/17/2021 7:58 pm)

1/17/2021 8:37 pm  #95

Lack of identity is what I was thinking.
Only strategy is Bishop or at times Moyer taking shots,joined by Seymour today.
Lindo often makes his own defense.
We could well have used Maceo today.

1/17/2021 10:58 pm  #96

GW needs more talent, its a very easy simply plain fact. 
For most of the year we had 2 good players, now Battle went down and Lindo has arrived so the number stayed at two and will eventually go back to 3. (4 depending on your thoughts on Moyer) 

Lindo has already in 2 games, made more plays than the non Battle/Bishops collectively all season

The Physical mismatch in the Dayton VCU games was SUPER clear, its a small miracle we were actually in those games relatively late.  The problem isn't X&O Coaching, it is a personnel issue, and crying about that on every game thread doesn't make it any more true.  NOW... if we still have a huge personnel issue, in a couple of years then it IS a coaching issue because Coaching in College Hoops means recruiting well.

This is of course why guys who stuck around forever like Martelli go up and down, the talent changes the caliber of the Coaching doesn't, or in the case of Hobbs, a down start a huge UP and then a big downturn, same Coach very different talent.

Or you know, any GW Coach in history, or any College coach, period.  Can great/bad Coaches make some difference at the margins? of course, but the sport like every sport is about talent, mismatches, and we are going to badly mismatched against every top A10 team this year, just as was predicted by every coach and media pre-season

1/18/2021 12:21 am  #97

If only we had bigger, tougher, taller, smarter, more talented, more disciplined players. We're too young, too new to compete, too many transfers in, too many guys leaving.. If only so and so wasn't hurt. Just give us another few years and we'll be dominating the league. Christian is being paid to win now--even at GW-- and he isn't coming close! This team lost 5 out of 6 early games to teams that we would have beaten in past years without a sweat. Gimme a break! 

1/18/2021 4:27 am  #98

Brand new to the board but longtime GDubb fan and alum. Does anyone know why Jameer Nelson left the program? Last season Chase Paar seemed motivated coming off the bench for Arnoldo Toro but this season he seems to disappear in games. It’s hard to believe a starting center only gets 1 rebound in a game. I thought he was really talented going into the season but he seems to disappear in games. I loved the way the defense stepped up in the second half but we a need a few more pieces to be competitive in Conference.

1/18/2021 8:21 am  #99

moneybox wrote:

If only we had bigger, tougher, taller, smarter, more talented, more disciplined players. We're too young, too new to compete, too many transfers in, too many guys leaving.. If only so and so wasn't hurt. Just give us another few years and we'll be dominating the league. Christian is being paid to win now--even at GW-- and he isn't coming close! This team lost 5 out of 6 early games to teams that we would have beaten in past years without a sweat. Gimme a break! 

I somewhat agree, Moneybox.   I have been disappointed in many aspects of the coaching.   It seems like in many of the games (with the last two being glaring examples), the team seems to have been coming out completely unprepared as to what was being thrown at them.   Against VCU, we had already turned the ball over 4 times in the first 75 seconds, and against Dayton, they were scoring at will.   I have not liked his in game adjustments, the Bishopcentric offense that seems to waste the skill strengths of other players; his failure to adjust on defense and his leaving cold players in the game far too long as opposed to resting them for a few minutes.   I also agree that we need to be tougher and yes, more disciplined.  Other than the woeful defense, my biggest concern is the awful assist to turnover ratio.   But it is also true that we are too young and too new to complete, at least against the likes of VCU and Dayton.   I would like to think that we have come along far enough to win all of those earlier games that are now on the record as embarrassing losses.   If I had to grade the coaching at this point, it would have to be an incomplete, as we really need three full seasons to fairly judge his hire.  But I am definitely concerned.   

1/18/2021 8:30 am  #100

Josh426 wrote:

Brand new to the board but longtime GDubb fan and alum. Does anyone know why Jameer Nelson left the program? Last season Chase Paar seemed motivated coming off the bench for Arnoldo Toro bu.t this season he seems to disappear in games. It’s hard to believe a starting center only gets 1 rebound in a game. I thought he was really talented going into the season but he seems to disappear in games. I loved the way the defense stepped up in the second half but we a need a few more pieces to be competitive in Conference.

Welcome to the board, Josh.   Can't answer about Jameer other than to say that it would appear that given his use this season, he came to believe that it was in his long term best interests to play elsewhere.  As for Paar, it seems to be a combination of problems.  On offense, his strength seems to be as a decent low post player, both scoring and passing, but pounding the ball into the post does not seem to be part of our game plan. Also, although he was touted as an outside threat, in 1.5 seasons, I have not yet seen that aspect of his game.  His hands aren't the greatest and he needs to be physically stronger to mix it up down low, which detracts from his game on both offense and defense.  Although he can block shots, his defense is below average, as our interior defense has been quite bad all season.  He also is below average in terms of speed and quickness (not the same thing) at the Atlantic 10 level.   The bottom line is that we give up far too many easy baskets down low.  I certainly haven't heard anything, but with the addition of Hunter Dean and Noel Brown, Chase may be on our endangered species list, and it would not surprise me if he too is destined to transfer.

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (1/18/2021 8:38 am)

Board footera