GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/13/2021 12:11 pm  #21

Re: Upcoming Schedule

Personally, I would like to see the season resumed, however this is a decision that should be made in concert between the student and parent and medical professionals.  I also find it curious why there is all the clamoring about cancelling the season for the men but no mention about the women, who have already played 17 games.  Are the risks not the same?

2/13/2021 12:44 pm  #22

Most people just don't care about the women.  At least sportswise.

2/13/2021 1:47 pm  #23

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

I also find it curious why there is all the clamoring about cancelling the season for the men but no mention about the women, who have already played 17 games.  Are the risks not the same?

Are you refencing women´s basketball in general or GW women´s basketball? In the case of the latter, their COVID interruption was much shorter and has been overcome. The men have played just twice since January 3, almost a month and half ago, and have not practiced in a month.

2/13/2021 2:59 pm  #24

I was talking about the GW women.   I wasn't suggesting that the men should have been playing or practicing since January 3rd, but rather once they are (medically) cleared to play, I would like to see it, just as the women have been playing (again assuming this is the wish of the players and parents).

2/13/2021 6:50 pm  #25

Apparently there is hope we will play St. Joes on Wednesday. The local NBC Sports will have JC and Eric Atkins on tomorrow at 11:00.

2/14/2021 6:38 pm  #26

I watched the Coach's show on tape,thus doubling the viewership.
Unless this was an earlier show, JC back post-Covid said the team had gone back to fully practicing.
So guess it is possible, if tests and some other things cooperate,we could theoretically play at St. Joe's as scheduled.
Not making a value judgment on whether we should, just noting it.

2/15/2021 8:14 am  #27

any way to watch the Coaches show outside of the DC market?

2/15/2021 8:29 am  #28

Let 'em play.  Safety is certainly paramount, but I'm guessing that almost every one of the kids on the team wants to play--and I bet Matt Moyer wants his teammates to play as well.

From a GW perspective, don't you think the lawyers are also making as many decisions on playing as the medical professionals.   

2/15/2021 8:39 am  #29

Florida Colonial wrote:

any way to watch the Coaches show outside of the DC market?

They've been posting the shows I think about a week after the air date on the YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/RaiseHighTV

2/15/2021 9:10 am  #30

Thanks GW0509

2/15/2021 12:40 pm  #31

Not sure I see a reason to give the hawk its only win of the season as we drag out of a weeks-long hiatus. I am Appollo Creed's corner man. Throw the damn towel.

2/15/2021 12:56 pm  #32

If we are ready to play again and looking to make up games, North Carolina is advertising on Twitter for games.  I’m sure we could make some money for the department that way.

https://twitter.com/UNC_Basketball/status/1361344049840599050?s=09

2/15/2021 1:27 pm  #33

Assuming no more positives tests for either us or St. Joseph's, I believe we will be playing Wednesday night. However, we may only have 8 players available.

2/15/2021 1:37 pm  #34

GW played at ranked New Mexico with 7 players healthy. It was in 1988. And Frankie Williams started the game. And it was a loss. And it was the 1-27 season.

2/15/2021 4:25 pm  #35

jf wrote:

Unless this was an earlier show, JC back post-Covid said the team had gone back to fully practicing.
So guess it is possible, if tests and some other things cooperate,we could theoretically play at St. Joe's as scheduled.

I caught the coach's show also.  He sure sounded like a team that was about to resume play.   8 players?   Not the end of the world.   30 minutes per starter and roughly 16 minutes per sub.    We seem to be pretty deep at all positions except maybe the point guard.    Of course who the missing are would be significant, however it did sound like Battle would be one who was playing.   And I would think that based upon the seriousness of his illness, I would guess that Moyer will not be playing..  Will be nice to watch GW basketball once again.

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (2/15/2021 4:38 pm)

2/15/2021 5:28 pm  #36

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

jf wrote:

I caught the coach's show also.  He sure sounded like a team that was about to resume play.   8 players?   Not the end of the world.   30 minutes per starter and roughly 16 minutes per sub.    We seem to be pretty deep at all positions except maybe the point guard.    Of course who the missing are would be significant, however it did sound like Battle would be one who was playing.   And I would think that based upon the seriousness of his illness, I would guess that Moyer will not be playing..  Will be nice to watch GW basketball once again.

Long Suffering Fan, of course we all would love to see GW play, but in my heart I feel this is a very bad and selfish decision on the part of all involved.  All we can do is hope and pray nobody else gets sick or infected because of this.

2/16/2021 3:03 pm  #37

Jon Rothstein  @JonRothstein 
Wednesday's game between GW and St. Joe's has been postponed due to issues related to COVID-19, per release.

Last edited by GW0509 (2/16/2021 3:03 pm)

2/16/2021 3:43 pm  #38

A couple of changes were made: The St Joe´s game was scrapped. The St Bona game was scrapped. A game vs URI (to be shown nationally on NBC Sports) has been scheduled for Sunday at 11:30am Eastern. While it will be over a month between games, GW does enter the URI game undefeated for the entirety of the Biden Administration.

https://gwsports.com/news/2021/2/16/mens-basketball-gw-vs-saint-josephs-postponed-gw-vs-rhode-island-added.aspx

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (2/16/2021 3:45 pm)

2/16/2021 4:05 pm  #39

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

A couple of changes were made: The St Joe´s game was scrapped. The St Bona game was scrapped. A game vs URI (to be shown nationally on NBC Sports) has been scheduled for Sunday at 11:30am Eastern. While it will be over a month between games, GW does enter the URI game undefeated for the entirety of the Biden Administration.

https://gwsports.com/news/2021/2/16/mens-basketball-gw-vs-saint-josephs-postponed-gw-vs-rhode-island-added.aspx

We are practicing today for whatever that is worth. Think it must have been St. Joseph's.

2/17/2021 12:30 pm  #40

Logic for scrapping St. Bonnie's game? Are they on a pause?

Board footera