GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/25/2021 6:33 pm  #101

Re: GW vs Mason Game Thread

Rising, I don't disagree with you. I hope (and even pray) we improve and get better. Next year is JC's 3rd year at the helm. Regardless of what happens this year or next, I think JC is here for 5 years (3 more, only because we can't afford to fire him and pay for 2 coaches at the same time again).
However, the excuses of COVID, being young, etc are starting to fall on deaf ears. Every team in college basketball has the same excuses. Also, we continue to lack depth so transfers and/or injuries will seriously hurt us (and there's no way to prevent either).
I'm looking forward to the St Bonnies game. I don't care about winning or losing at this point, just show some progress. Then JC can get to work on next season. I like JC and wish him nothing but success in getting us back to where we all want to be. I must admit I have concern that he is hitching his wagon (and future) to Bishop (who couldn't make it in the BCS). I think Bishop hurts the chemistry we could have and I believe Bishop may cause one or more of our better players to transfer out due to his style of play (I hope I'm wrong). Best thing that could happen to JC is for some BCS team to grab him because of his ppg without doing their due diligence (fool's gold).

2/25/2021 10:09 pm  #102

Joel Joseph wrote:

I must admit I have concern that he is hitching his wagon (and future) to Bishop (who couldn't make it in the BCS).

Oof tough standard.  Armwood & Cavanaugh couldn't make it in the BCS either and they seemed to do pretty well in the A-10.

2/25/2021 10:51 pm  #103

Arm wood and Cavanaugh were important pieces of the team.  As skilled as they were (and Tyler went from undrafted to starting an NBA game based on talent and merit,Armwood was in the G League), the successful teams didn't revolve around them or a single piece,or actually 2 pieces. Their roles were different in a team game than what Joel Joseph referred to as the situation today. It is an ultimate worry,true,but this overdependence prob already cost us some players.
   Not having JNJ or Maceo is not just bad fortune,they could read the tea leaves. Whether or not things were made explicit,it was somewhat predictable. So being  shorthanded may be the result of our priorities, along with Covid.
A couple of observations from the game:
1)Noel Brown looked really good early. Have long seen his raw potential. First half,he showed some intriguing polish. Also can't teach his size. He can provide some deterrence in the paint just because of size and can help clear some space on offense,especially for the aforementioned Bishop. He wasn't dominating the boards,but neither Dean nor Paar was either,as Mason racked up offensive rebound after offensive rebound after offensive rebound.
Seems like Brown was hardly seen at all second half,if he was in at all. Certainly felt like it,as we pointed out during the game and afterward.
2) Battle seemed like he was on from 3 in first half limited sample. Yet we didn't get the ball to him in position to shoot a 3 in the second half. Don't have the stats,but it feels like we didn't use Jamison's considerable outside shooting acumen in the 2nd half. It wasn't just Mason,though they bottled us up in general. We weren't looking for Jamison.
We seem to have done better recently,when Jamison gets the ball (maybe Duquesne,URI?). These frustrations may not bode well for us both
this year and in the long term,as pointed out in another post.
3) Once again,after a good half,the opposing team makes adjustments. It feels like we didn't counter,especially the rebounding problem.
First half,there was more sharing and we looked good,if you want a bright spot before the final score.

Last edited by jf (2/25/2021 10:58 pm)

2/26/2021 7:56 am  #104

That is really kind of you to say 22ndandF. Thank you so much! I have definitely been thinking about that, and may look to branch out for next season

To me, I saw the second half as being a conditioning issue more than anything else. Bishop and Lindo missed layups, and we were struggling at times to get back on defense as Mason looked to push the other way. That was the difference I saw between the Rhody game and Wednesday's contest late in the game. We were winded at the tail end of both games, but the difference was that URI for whatever reason decided to stop attacking and slow things down while GMU continued to take it to the hoop and attack.

The poor FT shooting and rebounding issues seemed to fall under this category as well. As a team, we have been slightly above average in the FT department for the year, and while we are far from a strong rebounding team, I don't think in a normal game without COVID effects we concede 23 offensive rebounds. Matt's absence did hurt there as well. We were significantly more passive after halftime, wish we had attacked the rim a bit more.

Don't want to take credit away from Mason for their defensive effort - they did a masterful job preventing Bishop from driving to his left and denying any entry passes into Jamison. There is no doubt that our fitness wasn't there for a full 40 minutes though. I was also confused by some of Paulsen's rotations during the game, where he had lineups that were pretty offensively challenged. That seemed to be more of an issue before halftime. Seemed more like something you do during OOC season.

I was personally encouraged by the defensive performance - I think far and away the best that I've seen all season. We lost Greene and Kolek a couple times from three, but otherwise put together a pretty good effort. I agree with others that would I have preferred to see Noel late instead of Chase because of fitness. There was definitely a way for Chase to be integrated for 5 minutes or so midway through both halves, but randomly coming in only in the second half seemed strange to me. Not sure that him taking a three late in the shot clock was the best option, although Paar has made that in shootaround. Hunter has been pretty solid defensively, but unfortunately has the tendency to foul a lot which limits his time on the court.

Nice to see Tyler get some shots to go. I think there were a few in the midrange he certainly could have taken that he passed up. Ricky has been a true difference maker for us.

The only play that really left me angry from Wednesday was Bishop's 10 second violation late in the game that came with absolutely no pressure from Mason. That just cannot happen. Going back to the whole conditioning thing, I am sure James, Jamison, and Ricky were all feeling winded playing nearly two full games without break in four days. Bishop only took five shots after halftime, and two came on consecutive possessions.

2/26/2021 6:55 pm  #105

dmvpiranha, it is my pleasure.  If you branch out next season and make additional content available on the pay-for sites, I feel you should let us know.  I promise I will subscribe to a pay-for service just to read your columns.  I feel it will be a good use of money and it would be my pleasure to help you get your basketball/sports journalism off to a profitable start!  Thank you again.

2/27/2021 7:24 pm  #106

I will make sure to let you know 22ndandF! Thanks again. Your post brought a smile to my face

Board footera