GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/29/2021 10:27 pm  #201

Re: 2021 Offseason Transfers

Here’s a crazy story.  David Jenkins was a great guard on the Mike Daum South Dakota St teams.  When coach TJ Otzelberger got the UNLV job, Jenkins followed him there, sitting out a year. 

He’s now transferring again and it’s been reported that the coach told him he didn’t enjoy coaching him anymore and he no longer had a spot on the team next year.  Can’t imagine Mr. Positive JC ever being this harsh - especially to the kid he brought with him from a previous job.

https://twitter.com/bischoff_tyler/status/1376717982798213127?s=21

3/30/2021 6:40 am  #202

All this player movement does not make college ball anymore fun for me. Even if I understand transferring is the biggest tool the players have to exercise leverage while everyone else gets paid cash and is free to take any job any where.

3/30/2021 8:34 am  #203

GWRising wrote:

Transfer portal now exceeds 2019-20 as predicted and we are still in March. But some of you continue thinking this is a JC problem. A decent chance that at least 25% of all scholarships are in the portal this year (approximately 1,150). That's an average of 3+ per team. 

I don’t know if it is or is not a JC problem at GW.  But two things can be true at the same time.  Transfers could be higher AND JC could be having problems with this team.  7 transfers is a lot more than 3.  And, most of us (me included) are not intimately familiar with every other program to know the specifics of which players are leaving and under what circumstances.  At the end of the day, if GW gets a good team with a good culture and we fall closer to the average number of transfers than the top of the list, this is a moot discussion.  Right now, with yesterday’s news, I’m excited about the future and want to see what happens.  Stop having a fight that doesn’t need to be had

3/30/2021 8:55 am  #204

what's the standard deviation?

3/30/2021 9:09 am  #205

danjsport wrote:

GWRising wrote:

Transfer portal now exceeds 2019-20 as predicted and we are still in March. But some of you continue thinking this is a JC problem. A decent chance that at least 25% of all scholarships are in the portal this year (approximately 1,150). That's an average of 3+ per team. 

I don’t know if it is or is not a JC problem at GW. But two things can be true at the same time. Transfers could be higher AND JC could be having problems with this team. 7 transfers is a lot more than 3. And, most of us (me included) are not intimately familiar with every other program to know the specifics of which players are leaving and under what circumstances. At the end of the day, if GW gets a good team with a good culture and we fall closer to the average number of transfers than the top of the list, this is a moot discussion. Right now, with yesterday’s news, I’m excited about the future and want to see what happens. Stop having a fight that doesn’t need to be had

I didn't start this fight. It has been posited here by more than one poster that this a JC problem without any evidence other than circumstantial evidence that players are transferring out. It is not. It is a combination of three things - the transfer environment, COVID experience at GW, and projected future playing time/role (in some cases). The number 3+ is a very conservative number because it does not account for open scholarships that will be filled by 2021's but rather talks about total scholarships. So the average number is actually probably closer to 4 per team I would imagine when that is factored in. 

Last edited by GWRising (3/30/2021 9:10 am)

3/31/2021 8:32 am  #206

GWRising wrote:

Not shocking at all that Battle would wind up in Minnesota. Squares well with the facts - it wasn't Bishop that drove him away but a desire to be closer to home where his family and friends could see him play more easily. Hopefully we can now put the made up narrative to rest.

GWRising, you are priceless.  You are fond of saying that two things can be true at the same time, you just said this referring to players who could have been loved and cared for at GW while also realizing that GW was not the best place/situation for them.  Yet now, because Battle is transferring to play for his home state school, we now can conclude that it wasn't Bishop who drove him away?  How come two things can't be true at the same time in this instance?

By the way, I really don't know whether Bishop's play was a motivating factor or not in Jamison's decision to transfer.  I do know that Jamison developed an almost immediate friendship with JNJ.  The two spoke about how they would jointly lead the program back to prominence.  And that given how JNJ's departure from GW went down, Jamison was not at all pleased by this.  So not only can two things be true at the same time, but so could possibly three or more things.

The point is that we don't know each reason why Jamison left or the weighted values he placed on each reason.  To suggest that because Jamison decided to play closer to home means that it could not have been Bishop's play that in part drove him away simply isn't a necessarily correct conclusion.

Last edited by Gwmayhem (3/31/2021 8:35 am)

3/31/2021 9:05 am  #207

WMPC tweets are going out!

3/31/2021 9:18 am  #208

Gwmayhem wrote:

GWRising wrote:

Not shocking at all that Battle would wind up in Minnesota. Squares well with the facts - it wasn't Bishop that drove him away but a desire to be closer to home where his family and friends could see him play more easily. Hopefully we can now put the made up narrative to rest.

GWRising, you are priceless.  You are fond of saying that two things can be true at the same time, you just said this referring to players who could have been loved and cared for at GW while also realizing that GW was not the best place/situation for them.  Yet now, because Battle is transferring to play for his home state school, we now can conclude that it wasn't Bishop who drove him away?  How come two things can't be true at the same time in this instance?

By the way, I really don't know whether Bishop's play was a motivating factor or not in Jamison's decision to transfer.  I do know that Jamison developed an almost immediate friendship with JNJ.  The two spoke about how they would jointly lead the program back to prominence.  And that given how JNJ's departure from GW went down, Jamison was not at all pleased by this.  So not only can two things be true at the same time, but so could possibly three or more things.

The point is that we don't know each reason why Jamison left or the weighted values he placed on each reason.  To suggest that because Jamison decided to play closer to home means that it could not have been Bishop's play that in part drove him away simply isn't a necessarily correct conclusion.

I'm priceless? You just assumed facts into evidence.

You may not know why Jamison left. I do. Next.

3/31/2021 9:45 am  #209

Did you speak to Battle personally.about why he left? If not-not next.If yes and he told you he’s leaving 
for the reason you suggest -case closed.Just feel a little ornery today.Don’t really care why he left-but not
a fan of how you support your point of view on this one.Why did Nima leave?

3/31/2021 10:43 am  #210

Great argument.  You do, next.

What you likely know is that Jamison said he was leaving to play closer to home.  Am not questioning the integrity behind that reasoning.  But, it's a politically correct, non-offensive reason to give.  Jamison is not going to spend much time talking publicly about his on-court relationship with James or how he feels JNJ was disrespected.  I only know about his feelings regarding JNJ through a trusted, private source.  Funny that you don't spend  a lot of time refuting this factor like you do with Bishop.

Yes, it's quite possible that he wanted to play closer to home, for a program that gives him a better chance at a more successful professional career, AND that there may have been additional factors as well.  

3/31/2021 10:59 am  #211

Interesting comment on VT site. 
What is Bamisile’s connection to George Washington?George Mason head coach Jamion Christian began his coaching career at Emory & Henry — Young’s alma mater. While we aren’t sure if that helped lead Bamisile to GW, it’s likely Young put in a good word for his former player.

Question: How explosive is is Basimile and is his lateral athleticism good?  

3/31/2021 11:39 am  #212

I am not certain why you refuse to take Jamison at his word, Gwmayhem. I am sure there were multiple factors but by far and away it was a desire to be closer to home. Playing with Bishop was not one. Being coached by JC was not one. Feel free to paint whatever mosaic you would like. At the end of the day everyone is moving on.

3/31/2021 2:13 pm  #213

Lincoln Ball to AU

3/31/2021 3:26 pm  #214

Everyone is indeed moving on at the end of the day. Including the entire active scholarship roster from less than 13 months ago.
To paraphrase the song, wouldn't Love Have Kept Us Together?

3/31/2021 3:48 pm  #215

Actually, winning will keep us together.

3/31/2021 4:22 pm  #216

Rising, what was it about my writing, "Jamison says he is leaving to play closer to home; I do not question the integrity of this statement" that then leads you to write, "I am not certain why you refuse to take Jamison at his word."  This is manipulative and you know it.  

I also see that you've amended your position.  Now it's "there were multiple factors but by far and away it was a desire to be closer to home."  I'm starting to think it's maybe a massive blow to your ego to say this but here it goes, YOU DON"T KNOW THIS.  

I am sure that he stated publicly that playing closer to home was his big reason.  I am sure that he would not publicly shit on his former coach or on one of his former players.  There is such a thing in this world as burning bridges.  He is not going to publicly offend JC for how JNJ went down, or a teammate for not playing to his liking.  There is nothing to be gained by doing this and Jamison is smart enough to know this.

Again, I have no evidence to suggest that he had a problem with James.  I do have knowledge that he was very displeased about JNJ.  You want to refer to that as painting a mosaic simply because you might be unaware about this, knock yourself out.

3/31/2021 5:55 pm  #217

3/31/2021 7:10 pm  #218

Gwmayhem wrote:

Rising, what was it about my writing, "Jamison says he is leaving to play closer to home; I do not question the integrity of this statement" that then leads you to write, "I am not certain why you refuse to take Jamison at his word."  This is manipulative and you know it.  

I also see that you've amended your position.  Now it's "there were multiple factors but by far and away it was a desire to be closer to home."  I'm starting to think it's maybe a massive blow to your ego to say this but here it goes, YOU DON"T KNOW THIS.  

I am sure that he stated publicly that playing closer to home was his big reason.  I am sure that he would not publicly shit on his former coach or on one of his former players.  There is such a thing in this world as burning bridges.  He is not going to publicly offend JC for how JNJ went down, or a teammate for not playing to his liking.  There is nothing to be gained by doing this and Jamison is smart enough to know this.

Again, I have no evidence to suggest that he had a problem with James.  I do have knowledge that he was very displeased about JNJ.  You want to refer to that as painting a mosaic simply because you might be unaware about this, knock yourself out.

Not to continue this any longer because it just breathes oxygen into a stupid conversation but you really should read what you write. You say you are taking someone at his word but it's everything that follows that which contradicts that sentiment. Generally, when most people say they are accepting someone at their word, they don't then spend time trying to figure why their word is incomplete or misleading, speculating as to other reasons etc. If they are presented with evidence that contradicts that word then perhaps then they reassess. You admit you do not have evidence of whether James or JC was responsible. So it should be full stop until someone provides that evidence unless of course you don't really mean what you say.

I am well aware of what you speak about regarding JNJ. Jamison was close to JNJ and it stung that he left. It had nothing to do with any disrespect shown to JNJ, it had everything to do with the fact that his closest friend on the team was leaving the school abruptly mid season. I guess others can spin it however they want but Jamison apparently was fine by all accounts once he recovered from the news. Did that factor into him leaving perhaps. But only as a supportive reason to the main theme of being away from home. If you ever talked to Jamison, you would know how much he talked about Minnesota and his love for his hometown. Don't take it from me ask his remaining former teammates. If you could have bet money on such a thing, I would have bet a very large sum that once he decided to transfer, he was headed to University of Minnesota, Marquette or Iowa because all were within about 4 hours of home.

4/01/2021 8:24 am  #219

GWRising wrote:

Gwmayhem wrote:

Not to continue this any longer because it just breathes oxygen into a stupid conversation but you really should read what you write. You say you are taking someone at his word but it's everything that follows that which contradicts that sentiment. Generally, when most people say they are accepting someone at their word, they don't then spend time trying to figure why their word is incomplete or misleading, speculating as to other reasons etc. If they are presented with evidence that contradicts that word then perhaps then they reassess. You admit you do not have evidence of whether James or JC was responsible. So it should be full stop until someone provides that evidence unless of course you don't really mean what you say.

I am well aware of what you speak about regarding JNJ. Jamison was close to JNJ and it stung that he left. It had nothing to do with any disrespect shown to JNJ, it had everything to do with the fact that his closest friend on the team was leaving the school abruptly mid season. I guess others can spin it however they want but Jamison apparently was fine by all accounts once he recovered from the news. Did that factor into him leaving perhaps. But only as a supportive reason to the main theme of being away from home. If you ever talked to Jamison, you would know how much he talked about Minnesota and his love for his hometown. Don't take it from me ask his remaining former teammates. If you could have bet money on such a thing, I would have bet a very large sum that once he decided to transfer, he was headed to University of Minnesota, Marquette or Iowa because all were within about 4 hours of home.

Am not being contradictory at all.  As you are fond of saying, when it serves your purpose, more than one thing can be true at the same time.  I fully understand and agree that Jamison wants to play closer to home.  What I am disputing isn't this sentiment, but your insistence that this is the "far and away" biggest reason why he is transferring out, which I contend is something you could not possibly know for a fact.

You are relying upon the fact that this is what Jamison has publicly said to others.  As I've pointed out, it makes sense to say this because not only is it true but also because it's a non-offensive reason for transferring out.  Some of the other reasons should remain private because they are potentially offensive and why should Jamison burn a bridge about this.  If he had a problem with James, he's not about to gripe publicly about this.  If he's bitter about JNJ's departure, he's not about to gripe publicly about this.  Just because Jamison is smart enough and/or classy enough not to burn bridges does not mean that either or both of these things weren't major factors in his deciding to leave GW.  And, my pointing this out does not at all mean that I don't believe that playing closer to home wasn't an important factor because I am sure it was.

Like you, I've had enough of this discussion as well.  You are undoubtedly well connected to this program and supply information here which is greatly appreciated by all, including myself.  However, I don't believe that gives you the license to report your impressions as fact.  In this instance, my guess is that the only person or people who would know any or all of the reasons why Jamison left the program and the weighted importance of those reasons would be Jamison and any family member or close friend that Jamison may have confided in.  It's conceivable that JC may not even know all of the reasons or the importance of them.  

If you feel that all we should go on is what Jamison has publicly said on the matter and nothing more is a point we can agree to disagree on. 

4/08/2021 3:10 pm  #220

Dayton just landed a pretty big transfer portal name: Georgia Center Toumani Camara.  Talented player who scored in double figures in all but 4 games.  I watched him go for 22 points and 10 boards against LSU. 

No idea why he transferred but that’s the world today.

Board footera