GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/08/2021 1:48 pm  #21

Re: 2021 Offseason Transfers

GW73 wrote:

Gwayhem, we are not is disagreement. I fear exactly what you say that if next season is a disaster that the administration will bring JC back with the excuse you describe no matter how many players leave. I agree that I want a coach to be optimistic. But you have to admit JC seems over the top and it comes across as almost goofy and dismissive of anyone who thinks he should be seen as a more serious person. 

It sure would be nice if JC held another Q&A with season ticket holders. 

That letter Tanya Vogel sent out one year before she fired MoJo - the one that basically said we know he’s not going to succeed here but we are going to give him another year anyway - pretty much tells us there’s no way she or the administration will pull the trigger after year 3 of JC’s contract, even if it’s worse than this year.  But let’s be honest - if he can’t make big strides this year, then he goes into year 4 very much on the hot seat, which will make recruiting a huge challenge the next season. 

Coaches generally get 5 year deals and they almost always get  renewed before year 5 (because a lame duck can’t recruit). But one more bad year might make him a lame duck early, and that could be a real problem. 

Gw Rising spoke of a backup plan, and I hope there is a good one.  There are going to be lots of scoring wings available who can compete at a high level, so let’s hope we can land at least one, along with a big time rebounder/rim protector.  JC is recruiting for his career now.

Last edited by Free Quebec (3/08/2021 1:54 pm)

3/08/2021 2:07 pm  #22

I agree he is "recruiting for his career now." Next he will have to be coaching for his career. So far at GW he hasn't been able to bring a team together and have it improve over the course of a season. And he when the season starts it seems as if he has misjudged his talent and the lineup that starts the season can't grow together because the lineup changes. (See Potter last season and Nelson this season.) JC still needs to show us that players can improve under his leadership and that he can develop a team that works together.  Maybe part of the problem is that he doesn't know what he wants. He talks about what he wants his team to do, but when they play they seem to do things differently than he said they would.  And then there's "mayhem." Like another poster asked, "what is mayhem?" JC talked about his team having "mayhem," but the only "mayhem" seems to be the turbulence on the roster.  Does anyone know what JC means by "mayhem."  I thought it was supposed to be like VCU's havoc. Well, so far there's no resemblance to VCU basketball at GW basketball. 

3/08/2021 2:12 pm  #23

There is a really solid back-up plan involving Power 5 transfers and a top 100-150 HS player or two. That's all I'm going to say. Watch for some news shortly ... maybe the first commitment might come as soon as this weekend. Watch what occurs and then render judgments. I don't think you will be disappointed in the big picture.

3/08/2021 2:12 pm  #24

GWRising wrote:

Like most things concerning GW basketball, there is always a huge overreaction. Let's really be honest here. Only one player (Battle) who has left since JC arrived was going to be part of any type of rotation that would lead us to an A-10 championship. Which player that has left has transferred up? Jamison may the be the first but that remains to be seen. So if JC can now bring in 3 players to replace those who have departed and who in the aggregate are better than those that left, is it really that devastating? 

I don't think any of you realize how hard this season was on all of the players not just at GW but everywhere. This has led to plenty of angst. For a kid like Jamison who was over 1,000 miles away from home, I'd imagine this weighed heavily on him. There is no evidence that JC wanted Jamison to leave or told him to leave. This was likely in whole or in part a non-basketball decision to find a school closer to home where his family could see him play more regularly. The fact that he put up a good season would make that option easier. I would suggest to you that there was probably nothing JC could have done differently about this one and I would also tell he did everything in his power to get Jamison to understand that he was a key part of the program. And I would further tell you this was not a Bishop issue just to put that nonsense to rest.

I like Jamison and thought he had a great future here. I respect him for waiting until the end of the season when there was some knowledge that there were some concerns earlier. He did things the right way and I wish him the best of luck at his next stop.

I am also certain that JC will go out and find us some talented players to replace those who left. You can wring your hands if you'd like but no championships were won or lost today.

The team's best (or second best) player just left.  Maybe it has nothing to do with "basketball" or even the coach.  But one of the team's top two scoring options just left, and one of the team's clear building blocks is gone.  I'm not sure what kind of reaction you'd expect from that news.  I also think it's disingenuous to say that just one of  players that has left would be important for a good run.  I think JNJ would have been helpful, even if not the star.  As I've continued to say, I just feel like the program is rudderless.  It's great that there is a backup plan.  And maybe even a second backup plan.  That's important.  but I don't see a first plan being implemented--or at least I don't understand it.

It will be great if JC can replace the players that left with better players.  It will be great if there is a core of players that can succeed and grow.  It will be great if JC can retain players.  I don't think any of us doubt how hard this has been on these guys (and some have suggested they not play at all to avoid these hardships).  But don't make this out to be a non-issue.  Losing the best player on a team (or second best player) will always be a huge deal.

3/08/2021 2:18 pm  #25

RisingYour notion that losing Battle(a known quantity) with tremendous upside can be mitigated by 
future recruits is a fantasy at this time.Battle is a huge loss,regardless of the reason he left.
Anything is possible in the future-but to sugar coat this loss is inauthentic.

3/08/2021 2:26 pm  #26

danjsport wrote:

GWRising wrote:

Like most things concerning GW basketball, there is always a huge overreaction. Let's really be honest here. Only one player (Battle) who has left since JC arrived was going to be part of any type of rotation that would lead us to an A-10 championship. Which player that has left has transferred up? Jamison may the be the first but that remains to be seen. So if JC can now bring in 3 players to replace those who have departed and who in the aggregate are better than those that left, is it really that devastating? 

I don't think any of you realize how hard this season was on all of the players not just at GW but everywhere. This has led to plenty of angst. For a kid like Jamison who was over 1,000 miles away from home, I'd imagine this weighed heavily on him. There is no evidence that JC wanted Jamison to leave or told him to leave. This was likely in whole or in part a non-basketball decision to find a school closer to home where his family could see him play more regularly. The fact that he put up a good season would make that option easier. I would suggest to you that there was probably nothing JC could have done differently about this one and I would also tell he did everything in his power to get Jamison to understand that he was a key part of the program. And I would further tell you this was not a Bishop issue just to put that nonsense to rest.

I like Jamison and thought he had a great future here. I respect him for waiting until the end of the season when there was some knowledge that there were some concerns earlier. He did things the right way and I wish him the best of luck at his next stop.

I am also certain that JC will go out and find us some talented players to replace those who left. You can wring your hands if you'd like but no championships were won or lost today.

The team's best (or second best) player just left.  Maybe it has nothing to do with "basketball" or even the coach.  But one of the team's top two scoring options just left, and one of the team's clear building blocks is gone.  I'm not sure what kind of reaction you'd expect from that news.  I also think it's disingenuous to say that just one of  players that has left would be important for a good run.  I think JNJ would have been helpful, even if not the star.  As I've continued to say, I just feel like the program is rudderless.  It's great that there is a backup plan.  And maybe even a second backup plan.  That's important.  but I don't see a first plan being implemented--or at least I don't understand it.

It will be great if JC can replace the players that left with better players.  It will be great if there is a core of players that can succeed and grow.  It will be great if JC can retain players.  I don't think any of us doubt how hard this has been on these guys (and some have suggested they not play at all to avoid these hardships).  But don't make this out to be a non-issue.  Losing the best player on a team (or second best player) will always be a huge deal.

I hope you realize there is a wide gap between something being a big deal and an overreaction. Something can be a big deal but still cause an overreaction. Yes, it is not a good development that Battle left. It is also not the end of the world either. As good a shooter as Battle was, he was not all-league player. Nor was he a great defender or rebounder. Certainly not a great ball handler or passer as his career 29 assists to 68 turnovers suggests. The point is not to criticize Jamison because I would certainly rather have him than not. The point is MJ or LeBron didn't just leave the building. Jamison can be replaced like most players. Maybe the next guy isn't a better shooter but might be better in the other areas and help make us a better team.

What I find most humorous about this thread in general is that we are 5-12 and everyone is complaining that we are not good enough but then every player that leaves is indispensable (I'm not talking just about Battle but we were told the same thing when Maceo and JNJ left). The fact of the matter is we got better after their departures. Who is to say that won't happen following these transfers? .

Last edited by GWRising (3/08/2021 2:28 pm)

3/08/2021 2:42 pm  #27

Loved Battle and hate to see him leave.  But on the other hand, he was a flawed player.  Yes, he was a wonderful offensive player, but if you look at his stats, he shot .354 from the 3 (sold but not spectacular) and .475 overall (very good but not spectacular).  He developed into a decent rebounder but over the course of 15 games, he only had 10 assists. I thought he had very good court sense.  It would be a fair assessment to say that he did improve on nearly all aspects of his offensive game from his freshman year, however he could be guarded, at least against higher level opponents such as Bonnies (10 points on 4-9 shooting, no threes) or Mason (11 points on 5-11 shooting, followed by 11 points on  5-14 shooting(.   The biggest problem with GW, at least in my opinion, is defense (or lack of the same), and frankly I did not see any improvement in his defensive game.  If he can be replaced by someone that maybe scores a few points less per game but plays solid defense, we may be ahead of the game.  As I mentioned previously, the most overrated players are high scorers on bad teams.    Battle was no doubt a solid player, but I think we did tend to overrate him a bit.

3/08/2021 2:44 pm  #28

FYI...my post was before I read the most recent by GWRising.  I hope I am not starting to think like him.

3/08/2021 2:51 pm  #29

GWRising wrote:

There is a really solid back-up plan involving Power 5 transfers and a top 100-150 HS player or two. That's all I'm going to say. Watch for some news shortly ... maybe the first commitment might come as soon as this weekend. Watch what occurs and then render judgments. I don't think you will be disappointed in the big picture.

Assuming this comes to fruition, it will not be the first time that JC has shown an ability to recruit and collect talent.  For argument's sake, let's say he is a great recruiter.

What I am very disappointed about is that JC has shown so far a below average ability to cohesively coach this talent.  I don't need a nice neat nickname like havoc or mayhem to define an identity.  What I do need is a team that plays together, that doesn't stand around on offense watching one player ultimately go one on two with the shot clock about to expire.  What I need is a defense that communicates with one another, that knows when to go over and under picks and knows when and when not to switch.  A team that is fundamentally sound enough to value each possession on offense and box out in order to avoid surrendering offensive rebounds to opponents on defense.  I need a team that is unselfish, shares the ball, finds the open man, and knows how to ride a teammate who is hot.  I'd like to know why on JC's coaches show, they can show an offensive scheme which branches out into seemingly dozens of different options but in an actual game, I have yet to see a fluidly coached game filled with plays throughout 40 minutes.  I am disappointed that this team was good enough to take double digit leads against many teams only to lose.  That 40 minutes of consistent play appeared to be a pipedream.  Not just in this Covid year, last year too.

This is resembling the old Washington Football team who consistently won the off-season with their personnel changes but couldn't step out of its own way on the field.  It's great that the talent is being upgraded; hopefully, this continues despite the losses of JNJ (which I agree with Danjsport on) and Jamison.  Now, it's time to effectively coach this talent. 

3/08/2021 3:14 pm  #30

GWRising wrote:

danjsport wrote:

GWRising wrote:

I hope you realize there is a wide gap between something being a big deal and an overreaction. Something can be a big deal but still cause an overreaction. Yes, it is not a good development that Battle left. It is also not the end of the world either. As good a shooter as Battle was, he was not all-league player. Nor was he a great defender or rebounder. Certainly not a great ball handler or passer as his career 29 assists to 68 turnovers suggests. The point is not to criticize Jamison because I would certainly rather have him than not. The point is MJ or LeBron didn't just leave the building. Jamison can be replaced like most players. Maybe the next guy isn't a better shooter but might be better in the other areas and help make us a better team.

What I find most humorous about this thread in general is that we are 5-12 and everyone is complaining that we are not good enough but then every player that leaves is indispensable (I'm not talking just about Battle but we were told the same thing when Maceo and JNJ left). The fact of the matter is we got better after their departures. Who is to say that won't happen following these transfers? .

Yes, Jamison was not MJ or Lebron.  Neither is any other player on GW's roster.  No player is Hall, or Pinnock, or Carl, or Pops, or McDonald, or KevLar, or Pato, or Yuta either.  The roster has plenty of room to improve.  Maybe things work out and we improve as a team.  That would be great.  I'll be as thrilled as everyone.   Did the team need to lose Jamison to add another top 100-150 talent?  Couldn't they have kept both?  

Maybe the picture internally is actually more rosy.  I don't really care that Paar left (though I wish him well).  I don't think Maceo would have made this team better long term, since he was leaving (though I wish him well).  I think the issue I have is that I have no sense of what the plan is.  

3/08/2021 3:28 pm  #31

LSF- you are triggering my abandonment issues.

3/08/2021 3:47 pm  #32

Battle will be missed, and after last year's performance, I was hoping Paar's soph year was a result of COVID.  Best of luck to both of them.  

3/08/2021 4:10 pm  #33

I would like to wish both Chase and Jamison good luck as the seek out the next exciting chapters in their respective lives. I feel both of them will do well as they exhibited nothing but class and good teamwork while here at GW.  Of course, I am sad that they've both decided to move on, but I nonetheless wish them well and expect great things from each of them. 

Also, I feel GWRising has made many great points on this post and shared some very good information. I feel it's not the end of the world that Chase and Jamison are transferring.  It would be very bad if JC didn't take advantage of the opportunity to fill the vacuum with now and talented players.  But I expect that not to be the case.  I believe JC has shown that he is an excellent recruiter and GWRising has given us an indication that this could work out quite well for GW.  So, I would caution against harsh words or thoughts toward JC.  I feel GW is lucky to have him. And because of the pandemic and the crazy things that happened this season, I feel JC has earned my respect for how he handled things in an impossible situation. I feel he is a man of great character.

You may disagree, but 2020 and the start of 2021 have been very unusual and especially unkind because of COVID-19 and the overall social climate.  To judge any team, including the coach, in this kind of environment seems unfair and unreasonable to me. All of us probably know of people who have died and certainly know of people who got very sick and have recovered.  I personally know 8 people that have passed on because of COVID-19 and I know many more who got very sick, some of who were ventilated and almost died. Only by the grace of God and incredible medical care did some survive. Players and coaches are in the same boat as us.  So, for me, I will give every, player, every coach and every GW administrator a free pass for this past season.

3/08/2021 4:14 pm  #34

Just tweeted out by Jameer Nelson Sr. I have no idea if this is related to any of the GW transfers. Could be completely unrelated for all I know.

https://twitter.com/jameernelson/status/1369032139841343488

3/08/2021 4:57 pm  #35

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

FYI...my post was before I read the most recent by GWRising.  I hope I am not starting to think like him.

You better hope you are starting to think like me ...it will show your evolution towards developing a basketball mind hahahaha.

Last edited by GWRising (3/08/2021 4:58 pm)

3/08/2021 5:03 pm  #36

So far the JC coaching era has been bad.  Maybe recruiting has been ok but the in game coaching is not there. And It is not good to lose one of your best players. Good PR, but terrible on the court results. Now off the court results are bad too.  That's just the reality of GW hoops today. 

3/08/2021 5:03 pm  #37

3/08/2021 5:18 pm  #38

Honest statement and classy on JC's part to make it.

Now, go be better.

3/08/2021 5:31 pm  #39

Sorry. This plain just sucks. Battle was our best shooter and Paar was showing progress until his conditioning was gutted by COVID. There is ZERO that is good about this. And not surprising with the mid-season transfers the last 2 years.

3/08/2021 6:37 pm  #40

For 2  years I heard what a nice touch Chase Paar had from beyond the three point line.  Then, on the final game of his GW career, he made his one and only three.  Guess he figured he had nothing else to prove, so its off to Delaware (or a comparable program) for him.

Board footera