GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/09/2021 12:19 pm  #21

Re: A Message from Jamion Christian

GWRising, a few things for you today.

1) I'm not sure anyone is arguing why so many players are transferring out at GW and no place else.  The people who post here are generally knowledgeable about the sport.  We understand that the ability to transfer for the first time without sitting out a year (and perhaps those who are transferring for the second time or more being able to do so as well) has opened the transfer floodgates.  Each time you discuss this, you are choosing to ignore the fact that this roster has now been entirely turned over in the span of less than two years.  That is rare regardless of how many players are opting to transfer.  And to those who care about such things, it's not a particularly good look for the program.

2) I don't recall Karl Hobbs or Mike Lonergan ever saying that their plan was working after completing their second seasons.  Among my biggest criticisms of JC right now isn't the number of transfers.  It's his belief, or song and dance, that things are progressing very well with this program when the on-court evidence would not exactly suggest this.  Even if you are thrilled with who he is bringing in, his ability to be an even average game coach over these first two years at GW should be rightfully questioned.  That said, I did admire his statement yesterday, but it's admittedly challenging to reconcile "the plan is working" with "I need to be better" coming from the same person.

3) Not trying to get you bent out of shape but your condescending tone towards others here does not help your cause.  You say things that I'd love to turn out to be correct, but the manner in which you say them almost has me rooting against you.  You don't need to write things like "the GW fan knows so much that isn't so."  You should really understand that the GW fan has just witnessed the program's fifth consecutive year of futility (and yes, I consider a 20 win team with Tyler and Yuta that flamed out of the CBI to be a disappointment) and yesterday, watched one of it's most productive and promising players leave the program.  Forgive us if we aren't exactly feeling like we should be overly optimistic about the near future.  Maybe we should n reality, and I definitely hope we should feel optimism, but right now, most fans feel like they have been kicked in the stomach yet again.  Perhaps you can keep this in mind the next time you're tempted to launch insults at people who genuinely care about this program.

3/09/2021 1:16 pm  #22

Winning seasons for GW through 2 years:
Karl Hobbs 0 Jamion Christian 0 Mike Lonergan 0

Career NCAA Tourney wins:
Karl Hobbs 1 Jamion Christian 1 Mike Lonergan 0

Times Fired for abusing his own players:
Karl Hobbs 0 Jamion Christian 0 Mike Lonergan 1 

Last edited by The Dude (3/09/2021 1:17 pm)

3/09/2021 1:20 pm  #23

Dude - two things can be true at once ... we should not have fired Mike Lonergan and Jamion Christian will be fine.

3/09/2021 1:23 pm  #24

Dr Mike wrote:

Well, it seems the primary plan is to keep moving (transfer) players along until JC finds the right players that like him and he likes them. Hate to be a parent with JC recruiting my kid. All the talk with love for players is only good if JC thinks you can play his game. If not JC will boot you to the curb. If I was recruiting against JC for the same athlete I'd use all his quotes against him. 

For the most part JC has expressed to all the transfers (not in these exact words but in action) they are not good enough for him, do not stack up, they should leave because he'll find someone better. Does not sound like anyone I'd want my son to play for. We are family is not the theme.

Disappointing but then again GW basketball has lost its relevancy a long time ago.  

There is zero evidence that JC booted anyone to the curb. Carry on.

3/09/2021 1:30 pm  #25

I posted for many years on Herve's board under a different name, and have posted a couple of times here.  I will admit to have essentially giving up on the team under Maurice Joseph, and I have never really returned.  I hate thinking of myself as a fair weathered fan, but I just couldn't keep watching the program going downhill.  It was just too hard to watch.  I imagine a lot of others like me gave up a while ago too.

I don't even know much about what transpired this season.  So I just come at it from the day that Mike Lonergan and Pat Nero were fired to this day.  Since that time this program has been an unmitigated disaster.  I have never seen GW basketball in this bad of shape.  And I am going to go ahead and include the John Kuester days when I say that.

Given the recent transfers I would say that GW should try to get a new coach, if that's possible.  Just see if there is a decent assistant coach in a top 30-40 program who wants a head coaching gig somewhere.  JC is not getting it done.  The record is not going to improve to a winning one next year, so that will be 3 years, and it is likeley that JC will be out the door then.  So let's cut to the chase and move on now.  

This program is at Fordham's level, and the school may not even have the $ to make a move.  But if it can be done, do it.  Get an assistant who is currently learning under a good coach in a BCS level program and just try to make it work.  Otherwise there will be another lost season next year, more transfers etc.  This disaster that will go on further.   I was hoping JC would work out.  But he hasn't.  And I don't see anything to change that.  Battle leaving is just the last straw to prove it.

I never took sides in the Lonergan/Nero nightmare.  I will only say that those events ruined this program, and it has yet to come back.  GW as a school is struggling, but someone in the admin needs to get creative and help this program.  I imagine the AD and the LeBlanc are feeling their jobs are on the line too.

3/09/2021 1:35 pm  #26

I didn't say we should (although, since he was found to have abused the players, we should have, morally, and practically once the story went public it was a lock) simply that he had 0 winning seasons (like Karl and JC) through 2 years, never won an NCAA tourney game (unlike Karl and JC) was fired for abusing his own players.

I know Lonergan has one big fan here, but that hiring turned out to be a disaster despite efforts to whitewash history.

Carm, through 2 years has been wildly successful at Siena, perhaps we promoted the wrong Lonergan assistant.

3/09/2021 1:38 pm  #27

Gwmayhem wrote:

1) I'm not sure anyone is arguing why so many players are transferring out at GW and no place else.  The people who post here are generally knowledgeable about the sport.  We understand that the ability to transfer for the first time without sitting out a year (and perhaps those who are transferring for the second time or more being able to do so as well) has opened the transfer floodgates.  Each time you discuss this, you are choosing to ignore the fact that this roster has now been entirely turned over in the span of less than two years.  That is rare regardless of how many players are opting to transfer.  And to those who care about such things, it's not a particularly good look for the program.

2) I don't recall Karl Hobbs or Mike Lonergan ever saying that their plan was working after completing their second seasons.  Among my biggest criticisms of JC right now isn't the number of transfers.  It's his belief, or song and dance, that things are progressing very well with this program when the on-court evidence would not exactly suggest this.  Even if you are thrilled with who he is bringing in, his ability to be an even average game coach over these first two years at GW should be rightfully questioned.  That said, I did admire his statement yesterday, but it's admittedly challenging to reconcile "the plan is working" with "I need to be better" coming from the same person.

3) Not trying to get you bent out of shape but your condescending tone towards others here does not help your cause.  You say things that I'd love to turn out to be correct, but the manner in which you say them almost has me rooting against you.  You don't need to write things like "the GW fan knows so much that isn't so."  You should really understand that the GW fan has just witnessed the program's fifth consecutive year of futility (and yes, I consider a 20 win team with Tyler and Yuta that flamed out of the CBI to be a disappointment) and yesterday, watched one of it's most productive and promising players leave the program.  Forgive us if we aren't exactly feeling like we should be overly optimistic about the near future.  Maybe we should n reality, and I definitely hope we should feel optimism, but right now, most fans feel like they have been kicked in the stomach yet again.  Perhaps you can keep this in mind the next time you're tempted to launch insults at people who genuinely care about this program.

1. So rare that GW's own Joe Dooley did it at East Carolina just 2 years ago changing out 11 players in one year. I'll give you a few other examples in a minute.

2. Like I said to the Dude - 2 things can be true at once. The plan can be working and we still need to be better. How do you know what his or the administration's expectations for where they would be at this time especially in light of COVID? While you claim that you acknowledge COVID was a factor, COVID really screwed up GW this year - more than most. Maybe that was a factor in the record?  While you ultimately are what your record says you are, the fact was that other than one game we were competitive this year. It is not a huge leap of faith to say that we can start translating those games into wins next year.

3. If someone truly cares about this program at a minimum I would expect them not to post things they either know or should know are patently untrue. If one is trying to be the smartest guy in the room with wild theories about how or why certain things are happening without a shred of evidence to support those theories they can expect similar retorts. Maybe they should take to the time to speak with JC before resorting to wild conjecture. We have posters on here now telling recruits they shouldn't trust JC. Some friend of the program. With friends like those ...

Last edited by GWRising (3/09/2021 1:40 pm)

3/09/2021 1:53 pm  #28

When was the last time GW had an anguish-free off season? After Pops et al´s frosh year? Sometimes, the only part of the year worse than the season is the off season, the rest of the time the only part of the year worse than the off season is the season. 
The tone of Cristian´s two paragraph note is perhaps the most striking, it jumps between defensive self-justification and humble contrition. I´d almost prefer he choose a lane and stick to it. But I find the whole talk about his job security a little premature given he has had one season as the new coach and one season of disruptions galore on which to be judged. When he was hired, did anyone expect him to be hanging banners after season 2? And that was before games were getting scrambled up hours before tipoff because of an unforseen pandemic and takeover of the Capitol by tin foil hats. I am a "restless native" but I am not ready to join the "torch-and-pitchfork mob" that is assembling.

3/09/2021 2:49 pm  #29

I came to GW in the mid-sixties-There have been VERY few seasons when this whole enterprise hasn’t 
been”a leap of faith”.The question then for me is:Can this old-timer hang in yet again -“trust the process”-
assuming there is one-and lend myself to one more leap of faith.Right now I don’t know.

3/09/2021 3:22 pm  #30

BrianPaul wrote:

I just threw a rope over a ceiling pipe in the basement, and I am standing on a 3 legged stool.  I am pondering my last words.  FU? F GWU?  FGWUBBall?

Can this team (it's not really a program), be turned around?  Sure.  But, by this coach?  If so, why not last year?  

Oh well.  Here I go. 

BP, that's not funny.  

And for all, whether the GW program is strong or not, remember this is just a game and a team that, for whatever reason, we just can't quit.

3/09/2021 3:24 pm  #31

GWRising wrote:

Gwmayhem wrote:

1. So rare that GW's own Joe Dooley did it at East Carolina just 2 years ago changing out 11 players in one year. I'll give you a few other examples in a minute.

2. Like I said to the Dude - 2 things can be true at once. The plan can be working and we still need to be better. How do you know what his or the administration's expectations for where they would be at this time especially in light of COVID? While you claim that you acknowledge COVID was a factor, COVID really screwed up GW this year - more than most. Maybe that was a factor in the record?  While you ultimately are what your record says you are, the fact was that other than one game we were competitive this year. It is not a huge leap of faith to say that we can start translating those games into wins next year.

3. If someone truly cares about this program at a minimum I would expect them not to post things they either know or should know are patently untrue. If one is trying to be the smartest guy in the room with wild theories about how or why certain things are happening without a shred of evidence to support those theories they can expect similar retorts. Maybe they should take to the time to speak with JC before resorting to wild conjecture. We have posters on here now telling recruits they shouldn't trust JC. Some friend of the program. With friends like those ...

JC should do a Q&A with season ticket holders like he did at mid-season.(I was in credibly impressed that he was willing to do that.)  Because no news organization covers GW basketball there is no other way to get information.  So if JC thinks there is misinformation floating around, how about having him address it. 

3/09/2021 4:01 pm  #32

BGF, time to update your software and censor Brian Paul's use of suicide as a bad attempt at humor and Dude's fallback to ML when things concerning GW Basketball continue to spiral out of control.

I suggest the few of you posters look on the bright side. It's a great day to be an American (if not a Colonial). Vaccinations are increasing daily while hospitalizations and deaths are decreasing. The stock market is on fire (for now). I finally cashed out the bulk of my Bitcoin shares for a 400% return. Get a life outside GW Basketball and take a break until Sep/Oct before we begin a new season.

Brian Paul, I'm in a giving mood so send me that GoFundMe Acct via email.

3/09/2021 4:22 pm  #33

GW73 wrote:

GWRising wrote:

Gwmayhem wrote:

JC should do a Q&A with season ticket holders like he did at mid-season.(I was in credibly impressed that he was willing to do that.)  Because no news organization covers GW basketball there is no other way to get information.  So if JC thinks there is misinformation floating around, how about having him address it. 

I will look into it. But please do understand there is a limit to what he can say about transfers reasons due to student privacy rules. So some questions still may not be answered to everyone's satisfaction because they can't be.

3/09/2021 4:38 pm  #34

GWRising, we have been competitive in all but one game this season?  We have lost 4 games this season to teams ranked in the 200's or higher according to NET rankings.  One loss to a sub 300 team, one loss to #275, and losses to #221 and #227.  Three of these were at home where some advantage still took place even if it was less pronounced than in pre-Covid seasons.  I can not consider these losses to be competitive no matter what the final scores may have been.  It is not so outlandish to acknowledge that losing home games to Hampton or William & Mary can not be sugarcoated in any way.  We lost by double digits to teams rated #80, #132 and #135.  We were getting blown out against #141 UMBC, came back to make it interesting, and lost by double figures.  This team was 0-4 in Q1 and Q2 games, 2-5 in Q3 games and 3-3 in Q4 games.

Maybe we have different definitions of what it means to be competitive but mine starts with being competitive for 40 minutes, not just for a half, and mine also involves being pleased with the way the team played even in defeat.  The VCU loss is a great example of playing a competitive game even in defeat.  The Duquesne, Dayton and George Mason tournament losses are all poor examples.  The tournament win over Fordham is not a good example. Your definition appears to be anytime we were not blown out of an arena.  

Do you really think that falling apart in the second half against GM in the regular season was a loss you should be able to build off of?  I view it as a regrettable loss that should have been an easy win had we stuck to the game plan.  Unfortunately, there were many regrettable losses that could easily have been wins.  

It's very easy to see what you're attempting to do.  You are trying to show this program and this past season in the most favorable, it wasn't so bad light possible.  Covid may be a perfectly valid reason for why things fell apart the way they did, but let's stop denying that things didn't fall apart.  We were not competitive in every game this year except one.  I just don't know who you think is going to buy that one.    

Last edited by Gwmayhem (3/09/2021 4:40 pm)

3/09/2021 5:18 pm  #35

Brian Paul, nobody here cares about your illusions and prior life as Ziik.
If BGF doesn't remove this as being irrelevant/off topic, I have a couple legitimate charitable "GoFundMe" sites I would like to plug.

3/09/2021 5:23 pm  #36

Joel Joseph, it appears that you're the one who invited the charitable donation discussion.

Now, let's get back on topic.

3/09/2021 5:57 pm  #37

If I hear that JC has won as many tournament game as GW over the past 25 years, my head is going to explode because it's not true.  He won a First 4 play in game against another potential 16 seed.  That is not the same as winning a game in the actual NCAA tournament.  Do you really think that MSM team could have beat a team like Memphis, Vanderbilt, Duke, UNCW, Georgia Tech, Indiana, or Oklahoma State?  How many GW teams would lose to the powerhouse 16 seed New Orleans?  Less than than you can count on one hand.  This is not a valid comparison, just some axe grinding and quality trolling.  

3/09/2021 6:14 pm  #38

Porter71, don't even dignify it with a response (though I am glad you did as I hate feeling like I am the only one here calling him out on his trolling).  We all know he has said it again and again.  We all know how disingenuous a statement it is.  The same way he continues to bring up Lonergan abusing his players.   He is a fool, here for no other reason than to antagonize and subsequently attempt to bring this board down.  

3/09/2021 6:16 pm  #39

Gwmayhem -

We lost 9 games in 2019-20 by double digits with many of them over at halftime. This year we lost 5 with only one of them over by halftime. Our scoring margin improved from -4.9 to -4.2.

Nobody is making the case that we are good enough. Even JC says we have to be better. However, to also say  things are trending in the wrong direction is also not correct. The simple fact was we were more competitive. Competitive means we had more games that we had a chance to win. We lost a number of close games early that again are easily flipped with some improvements in the future. The distance this year from 5-12 to say 10-7 was not that great. It was far greater last year.

You are apparently shocked to learn that we collapsed in the second half of games. Did you notice we played the last 5 games in 11 days with Battle playing 185 mins, Bishop 184 and Lindo 177. That is unstainable. 

We had a 35 day break in the middle of the conference season. That is unprecedented and unsustainable.

We lost a double-double guy to COVID for the remainder of the season. Again, unsustainable.

We were playing with 7 and 8 scholarship players at the end of the season. Unsustainable.

You can say those were all excuses but they are also facts. No one has any idea of the role COVID played this year not just in January. You can say everyone faced it but that'[s not entirely true either. Some teams like Kansas never missed a game.

Give JC a roster of his kids without COVID and let's see what happens and let the chips fall where they may. Hopefully, you will get that opportunity in about 8 months.

3/09/2021 6:47 pm  #40

GWRising, you don't need to convince me that there were very valid reasons for why we had the season we had.  You're preaching to the choir on that one.

You really can't convince me though that home losses, no matter how close, to Hampton and William & Mary were competitive.  The final scores may have been close but the fact is that if we're losing close games against schools like this, I'd refuse to characterize our play as competitive.  I take zero satisfaction in losing games to bad programs but hey, I guess you do if the score is close enough. 

Board footera