GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/26/2019 5:08 am  #1

Amir Harris

Has anyone heard anything about his eligibility or did I miss a thread?

8/27/2019 10:22 am  #2

Re: Amir Harris

Good Question.

8/27/2019 2:53 pm  #3

Shows on the roster as a sophomore. No statement as to his status.

9/10/2019 3:49 pm  #4

Decision by NCAA has not yet been made.  Expect something in next couple of weeks.  School remains optimistic.

9/13/2019 8:15 pm  #5

Seeing a post on twitter from yesterday that says Amir was given the waiver. No idea if its true or not. lets hope it is

9/14/2019 3:22 pm  #6

who tweeted that he was given the waiver?

9/14/2019 4:20 pm  #7

Like I said this could be totally wrong but here is the thread.

https://twitter.com/CBB_Central/status/1171538255805726720

9/17/2019 10:11 am  #8

I would like to think that if Amir was given the waiver, or for that matter if he was formally turned down, that the school would make an appropriate announcement.  Maybe this still has not been decided so I suppose everyone still gets the benefit of the doubt.  But to paraphrase Rod Stewart, it's late September and Amir really should be back at school (which includes knowing whether he will be able to play for his school this season).  One ridiculous point that could work against Amir is that while he was thrown off the Nebraska team, his scholarship was not taken away.  Ridiculous because Amir could have stayed at Nebraska on scholarship and not play basketball, which isn't much of an option for a basketball player.  Reasonable people would of course understand this but since this is the NCAA, who the heck knows.  

9/17/2019 11:43 pm  #9

Couldn't let the Rod Stewart paraphrase go without a groan.   

9/18/2019 9:24 am  #10

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

Couldn't let the Rod Stewart paraphrase go without a groan.   

No matter what your feelings are about Rod Stewart,. you've just got to like Maggie May.  It's a classic.

9/18/2019 10:30 am  #11

Appologies to Amir, but if we are going on a Rod Stewart tangent...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baCeALX2vlM

9/19/2019 8:45 am  #12

A few weeks ago, GW Men's basketball official twitter posted a video of Amir Harris dunking, I posted a reply asking if Amir Harris was eligible, that same guy(in Florida Colonial's link)  responded to me that Amir was eligible. I didn't post it here because I couldn't determine how credible the guy was, but it looks like he has close ties(relative??)  to Amir Harris since he keeps responding to tweets about him.

I don't see what the hold up is because the reports about Fred Hoiberg forcing out players came out shortly after the season ended last March or April, which is now at least 5 months ago!! The decision should have been made after Amir Harris committed to GW. Does anyone know if the NCAA gave waivers to the other guys that F.Hoiberg forced out??  

9/19/2019 8:33 pm  #13

Amir is in the full roster photo recently posted at the official site.  I would assume that means he's been cleared.

9/20/2019 7:22 pm  #14

Very encouraging. Could he be our Walt Williams? Not in terms of offense, but high level glue guy? Sure hope so! Deserve has got nothing to do with it, but the buyin that results from good coaching and a coach guys trust could produce a surprising season. More likely is progress that leads to frustration and happiness.

9/20/2019 8:03 pm  #15

Sloan and Ace are both in that picture as well and I think they are both sitting out this year (at least Sloan for sure).

Maybe a conspiracy theory, but I almost wonder if they aren't announcing anything so that we have a secret weapon in Amir at our disposal that teams are unable to scout before the season starts.

Here is what we do know:
On May 1st, Harris expressed his attention to return to Lincoln for his Sophomore Year
Within a week (5/8) Harris announced the new Nebraska coaches callled him and told him he no longer had a spot on the team.

Unless Harris is lying of course (which seems hard to believe between the timing between the two articles and the mention that two other players were reportedly forced out), this seems like a strong argument to get a waiver. Didn't Shandon get cleared immediately to play at Niagara following Mojo being let go? I don't know how the NCAA determines waivers based on coaching changes. Terry didn't seem to use it once transferring to Bradley but maybe he wanted to sit out anyways to get better for the 2020-21 season.

The two other players who were reportedly forced out, Karrington Davis (now at Southern Illinois) and Brady Heiman (transferred to South Dakota) have not been granted waivers from what I've seen as of now. According to Twitter, Davis has applied for a waiver after sitting out all of last year with an achilles injury, and Heiman is apparently opting to sit out the year anyways to get stronger even if he gets a waiver.

The other aspect that I think could work in Amir's favor is the returning to home story. I am fairly sure the NCAA has granted waivers based on that in the past, but many of those have been due to a family health issue or some other personal issue.

For what it's worth the Hatchet reported that he was going to be sitting out the year but I don't know whether that's trustworthy.

I still want to believe that tweet that was posted above though. I agree that the user appears to know Amir in some capacity personally. 

Last edited by dmvpiranha (9/20/2019 8:37 pm)

9/21/2019 8:24 am  #16

Dmvpiranha,  great post!! Amir Harris left Nebraska later than I thought(May, not April), but it's still been over 4 months, the fall semester has started and it appears as if no decision has been made. It looks as if the other 2 Nebraska players are in limbo as well, even though 1 of them seems to be content with sitting out for a year.

To me, Amir Harris' situation seems to be a bit more egregious than whatever may have happened with Shandon Brown. I'm not denying that S.Brown was forced out, but his circumstance was brought to light by an anonymous person(I'm assuming it was a relative of Shandon Brown or Marcus Littles) on a message board, as opposed to a Lincoln newspaper reporting that Fred Hoiberg forced out 3 players.  

I actually had the same thought about Jamion Christian not revealing Amir Harris' status as a way to gain an advantage on opposing teams who will not have an accurate scouting report on GW, but the word will get out when GW holds its "secret" scrimmage(that always get leaked!!) and/or plays their first exhibition game. Or the word may get out if Jon Rothstein gets to watch a GW practice and talks about the palpable buzz surrounding Amir Harris!! LOL

I'm also inclined to believe that twitter user(@timstakks) since he has responded to multiple posts about Amir Harris being eligible. 

9/24/2019 4:38 pm  #17

Rasir Bolton, who transferred from Penn State to Iowa State after his freshman year, just had his waiver request approved.  There was no coaching change or injury.  He just wanted to play without sitting out.  

I'd say it bodes well for Amir, but this is the NCAA.

(FYI he entered the transfer portal 12 days before Amir)

Last edited by BM (9/24/2019 4:53 pm)

9/24/2019 5:50 pm  #18

9/24/2019 6:56 pm  #19

LOLZ

10/09/2019 7:22 am  #20

Seems like Amir's teammate at Nebraska Brady Heiman received a waiver to play immediately for the Coyotes. I think that is encouraging, and leads me to believe that Amir was granted one as well (although still not publicly announced).

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanHoops 20h 
South Dakota’s Brady Heiman had waiver granted from the NCAA, coach Todd Lee told @Stadium. Nebraska transfer is eligible to play this season.

Last edited by dmvpiranha (10/09/2019 7:22 am)

Board footera