GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/08/2019 9:14 pm  #41

Re: Amir Harris

If it took the NCAA more than one game in to the season to rule on something so obvious (should have been ruled on the day he signed his LOI), my suggestion is that Amir get a counselor in zen and a supersize dose of patience...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/james-wiseman-memphis-ncaa-ruled-ineligible-224758449.html

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (11/08/2019 9:15 pm)

11/11/2019 12:17 pm  #42

South Dakota is off to a 2-0 start and while Brady Heiman has yet to enter a game, he at least has been eligible to do so.  Brady was Amir Harris's teammate at Nebraska, two of the three ex-Huskers who were dumped by new coach Fred Hoiberg.  (Is karma a bitch?  Nebraska is 0-2 having lost two home games to UC-Riverside and Southern Utah.)

Heiman received NCAA approval on October 8 to become immediately eligible to play, bypassing the normal one year wait period that most transfers face.  Unless something has gone unreported, Amir's circumstance is exactly the same as Heiman's.  And yet, over a month has passed since Brady received his ruling and Amir continues to wait.

This is rapidly rising the charts as the NCAA's most ridiculous and inexcusable scenarios and there have been plenty to choose from over the years.  The fact that all eligibility cases were not resolved before the start of the season is beyond the realm of comprehension.  Now that we're two games in and are still waiting, this is nothing short of unbelievable.

I can only hope that Tanya Vogel and/or the athletic department's compliance staff are contacting the NCAA daily about this.  Can you imagine if this were happening to a player at Duke or Kentucky?  You can't because it would never happen.  Now that eligibility questions have arose regarding Chase Young and James Wiseman, you can't help but get the sense that these cases go to the front of the line while Amir at mid-major GW must wait a while longer.

This is simply unacceptable on every conceivable level.

11/11/2019 1:57 pm  #43

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

If it took the NCAA more than one game in to the season to rule on something so obvious (should have been ruled on the day he signed his LOI), my suggestion is that Amir get a counselor in zen and a supersize dose of patience...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/james-wiseman-memphis-ncaa-ruled-ineligible-224758449.html

I don’t think the Wiseman thing is quite so obvious.  It’s somewhat analogous to Michael Oher, who was helped in high school by an Ole Miss booster. Plus in this case, penny helps lots of kids who don’t go to Memphis so this wasn’t special for wiseman.   It’s actually a very tough case and I can see the arguments on both sides.

11/11/2019 7:07 pm  #44

No one giving money to schools should be "loaning" money to high school players. In fact, no one should be loaning money to high school players, period. At least not if they want to look innocent.

11/12/2019 2:52 pm  #45

Looks like he’s eligible!!

11/12/2019 3:18 pm  #46

Florida Colonial wrote:

Looks like he’s eligible!!

Where do you see this?

11/12/2019 3:23 pm  #47

Not official but it seems that way from his Instagram.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B4xsqXvB8Vv/?igshid=1cfrt6ayz8hzh

11/12/2019 4:17 pm  #48

Amir not eligible yet per my sources.

11/13/2019 2:15 pm  #49

Details to follow ...

11/13/2019 2:21 pm  #50

11/13/2019 2:23 pm  #51

Jeff Goodman‏ @GoodmanHoops 16m
George Washington has received transfer waiver for Amir Harris, Jamion Christian told @Stadium. Transferred from Nebraska. Will be eligible to play this season.

In the words of Jamion Christian via tweet a few hours ago...

Jamion Christian@JamionChristian 4h
God is good!

Last edited by GW0509 (11/13/2019 2:25 pm)

11/13/2019 2:40 pm  #52

It's good that Amir Harris got the waiver because Hoiberg forced him out of Nebraska, but it will probably take A.Harris a few games to get adjusted, since his status was in limbo for so long. I'm assuming A.Harris will start at shooting guard or small forward when he's ready to play big minutes. 

11/13/2019 3:25 pm  #53

Great news for GW and shame on the NCAA for letting this go three games into the season.

11/13/2019 3:35 pm  #54

From JC's Twitter:
Excited for the news from the NCAA today about Amir Harris. Great things happen 2great people &we are enthusiastic about his ability 2help our program IMMEDIATELY! 👏 2all who worked diligently on this manner from our AMAZING people here 2those doing the right thing at Nebraska.

Amir brings a great energy 2our team with the
❤️ he exhibits 2 play the game. His ability 2 play above the rim & creativity will give us something in the backcourt which is very rare. Known 4 his elite defensive mindset adding 2 an already tough defensive unit. Brick  x  Brick #gogdub

Last edited by GW0509 (11/13/2019 3:40 pm)

11/13/2019 3:53 pm  #55

Good news. 
Validation for my sources ( I Am kidding, mostly)
Can't wait to see him on the court!!

11/13/2019 4:11 pm  #56

I am  glad for Amir.
However, SHAME ON THE NCAA! How is his waiver eligibility status different today than it was, say, the day classes started? You would think that with all the billions (with a "b") of dollars that the NCAA gets that it could afford to provide its student-athletes with a smidge of customer service and process these requests in a timely fashion.

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (11/13/2019 8:35 pm)

11/13/2019 6:44 pm  #57

OK, now that Harris is playing...based on the scouting reports, whose minutes does he take?

11/13/2019 7:41 pm  #58

Based on what This board has said his stats were last year, I think he replaces Javy in starting line up and gives us another threat besides JNJ at driving to the hoop.

11/14/2019 7:01 am  #59

Excited to see what this team looks like with Amir!  Let's go!

Last edited by B_Loud (11/14/2019 7:01 am)

11/14/2019 8:22 am  #60

certainly good news for this season.  On the other hand, it may have been better in the long term for him to have sat this year and begin his 3 years of eligibility next season, as a more developed player on a better team.  I think you can make a fairly compelling argument either way

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (11/14/2019 8:25 am)

Board footera